Lombardi grave story

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today is the 57 Anniversary of signing Lombardi to coach the Packers. Should be a state holiday!!!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
One of my favorite little-known stories about Lombardi is about his success as the basketball coach at St. Celilia's. Since he never played it and never coached it previously he went to the library to check out books on the subject of coaching BB. His teams won 65% of their games and won a state championship. And then there's this from the 'ripples in the pond' version of a coaching tree:
His first coaching job was at St. Cecilia High School in Englewood, where he taught chemistry, physics and Latin, and coached football and even basketball, which he had never played—anything to support his wife, Marie, and their two kids. One of his star basketball players was Mickey Corcoran, who would later coach Bill Parcells, who would mentor Bill Belichick and Tom Coughlin—all of whom won his eponymous trophy with teams built just like his, on a bedrock of discipline.
From the link in the OP.

Reaction score
One of my favorite little-known stories about Lombardi is about his success as the basketball coach at St. Celilia's. Since he never played it and never coached it previously he went to the library to check out books on the subject of coaching BB. His teams won 65% of their games and won a state championship. And then there's this from the 'ripples in the pond' version of a coaching tree: From the link in the OP.
Pretty neat

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Good link. Thanks.

I'm actually commenting on your avatar. The trophy that I too was convinced was the actual trophy given to the Pack after the first "Super Bowl". Then, you see the picture of Rozelle handing Lombardi the now-known-as-Lombardi Trophy further down in the story you link to.

Of course, the Packer Hall has duplicate trophies in it, the originals are in the executive offices from what I understand...but that FIRST trophy...also on display in the Packer Hall contained in your avatar -- I can't find a real link to the story of that trophy. You have anything on that?

I also noted at the refurbished Hall of Fame that they have replicas of the Ed Thorp Trophies --they have to be replicas just wayyyyy tooooo shiny silver -- on a display in the same room as the Lombardis which was really cool ... but, they only have 8 Thorp Trophies displayed as I recall counting ...

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Good link. Thanks.

I'm actually commenting on your avatar. The trophy that I too was convinced was the actual trophy given to the Pack after the first "Super Bowl". Then, you see the picture of Rozelle handing Lombardi the now-known-as-Lombardi Trophy further down in the story you link to.

Of course, the Packer Hall has duplicate trophies in it, the originals are in the executive offices from what I understand...but that FIRST trophy...also on display in the Packer Hall contained in your avatar -- I can't find a real link to the story of that trophy. You have anything on that?

I also noted at the refurbished Hall of Fame that they have replicas of the Ed Thorp Trophies --they have to be replicas just wayyyyy tooooo shiny silver -- on a display in the same room as the Lombardis which was really cool ... but, they only have 8 Thorp Trophies displayed as I recall counting ...
I took the picture while the Packers HOF was being rebuilt during the most recent upgrade. Selected portions were moved to the Neville Museum downtown GB for the duration. I don't know much more that that about this trophy. I do know the Vikings were last in possession of the 60's era NFL title trophy. It was a traveling trophy that they "misplaced."

Staff online

Members online