Lions

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These suckers have pulled out 2 games in which they trailed big. First week at Tampa Bay, and yesterday at Minny, down 20-0 starting the 2nd half.

They have a cupcake 3rd place schedule, to our champion schedule.

Remember, we lost at Detroit last year with Stafford out injured. They're a ton better now, and more confident. We are better as well of course. They will be a tough out all year long.

Here's their remaining schedule:

Week
4- @ Dallas (how fortunate for Lions that Austin is out, Dez Bryant, Romo, Felix all hurt)
5- vs Bears
6- vs 49ers
7- vs Falcons (yes in Detroit. Atlanta is great at home, bad on the road)
8- @ Denver
9- Bye
10- @ Chicago
11- vs Panthers
12- vs Packers (Thanksgiving)
13- @ New Orleans
14- vs Vikings
15- @Raiders
16- vs Chargers
17- @ Packers

They have a pretty easy schedule, with the Falcons playing them up there in Detroit, as well as San Diego. They get Dallas now with all their guys out, or playing at 60% hurt.

I see the Lions going about 12-4, and our week 12 Thanksgiving game will be the biggest Turkey day game in years, and will take the focus off food that Thursday.

Then to finish the season against them? On Frozen Lambeau on New Years Day?
Wow.
I remember when the Bears got lucky to get some early wins last year, early and midway thru, and it led to them winning the division.
I know it all worked out for us in the end, but we want to win the division and get the playoff bye. Playoff byes are essentially "wins". You advance to the NFC Final Four automatically.

LionsFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They never trailed big against Tampa. That game wasnt even close to what the score would indicate. I think that if they can at least be down 1 score at halftime against you guys....you will be in trouble. MM wont be able do his run run pass clock metldown in the second half, and the pass rush will be giving you trouble, especially with Fairley being back by thanksgiving. The dline rotation is going to work wonders the longer rogers sustains drives and needs to pass. They can stay fresh because they are so deep.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can no longer call the Lions the "sleepers" of our division. They are now wide awake and roaring. Stafford has found his mojo after being out last season. My prediction is they will finish 2nd in the division, making the playoffs.

cheeseheadfanatic87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Detroit wasn't down that much by Tampa... to be honest the Buccaneers just padded the stats. If it wasn't for that return by Talib in the first quarter it should have been 27-13, and the Buccaneers in the 4th quarter scored that last minute touchdown, and let's face it Detroit's defense is looking solid. So as the previous poster said, it wasn't as close as the 27-20 final score.

The Lion's are going to be tough, they played us tough both times last years winning 28-26 at Lambeau, and losing 7-3 at Detroit. I have a feeling this is a team that's going to be scary for years to come, they have a lot of young players on their roster.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
...The dline rotation is going to work wonders the longer rogers sustains drives and needs to pass.

Rodgers running the no-huddle could counter that, to some degree.

Also, the Packers are strong on the quick pass, whether it is a slant, out, or screen. This shifts the defensive focus away from the Lions strength and towards their weakness.

Can anyone comment on whether or not the Lions have a reasonably good counter for Finley? Some teams can partially cover him, while others have no chance (e.g. Bears).

Imo, I think the games will turn into a shoot-out with both QBs working the defense to their advantage. This will work to Rodgers advantage- who simply has more experience. But, the margin is slim and likely will come down to a single turnover that defines the outcome.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They never trailed big against Tampa. That game wasnt even close to what the score would indicate. I think that if they can at least be down 1 score at halftime against you guys....you will be in trouble. MM wont be able do his run run pass clock metldown in the second half, and the pass rush will be giving you trouble, especially with Fairley being back by thanksgiving. The dline rotation is going to work wonders the longer rogers sustains drives and needs to pass. They can stay fresh because they are so deep.
Good analysis - I watched the Viking game and saw the Lions achilles heal - LT. Matthews is going to own Backus if thats the matchup. I'm not taking Detroit lightly at all. It is great to, once again, have not one, but two young impressive teams in the NFC Norris divison. Stafford is impressive so far. Very likely it'll be a 2 horse race. I think both D lines are exceptional. It is just nice to have Detroit back in there. It's been a long time!

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
These suckers have pulled out 2 games in which they trailed big. First week at Tampa Bay, and yesterday at Minny, down 20-0 starting the 2nd half.

Remember, we lost at Detroit last year with Stafford out injured. They're a ton better now, and more confident. We are better as well of course. They will be a tough out all year long.

Week
4- @ Dallas (how fortunate for Lions that Austin is out, Dez Bryant, Romo, Felix all hurt)
5- vs Bears
6- vs 49ers
8- @ Denver
9- Bye
10- @ Chicago
11- vs Panthers
13- @ New Orleans
14- vs Vikings
15- @Raiders
16- vs Chargers
17- @ Packers

They have a pretty easy schedule, with the Falcons playing them up there in Detroit, as well as San Diego. They get Dallas now with all their guys out, or playing at 60% hurt.

I see the Lions going about 12-4, and our week 12 Thanksgiving game will be the biggest Turkey day game in years, and will take the focus off food that Thursday.

Wow.
I remember when the Bears got lucky to get some early wins last year, early and midway thru, and it led to them winning the division.
I know it all worked out for us in the end, but we want to win the division and get the playoff bye. Playoff byes are essentially "wins". You advance to the NFC Final Four automatically.

Let's compare a cupcake schedule to a champion schedule. Which by the way the Packer are playing the 2nd place teams and he Lions the 3rd place teams. Schedule goes by were you ended up in the division, not the play offs. So that being said, they play exactly the same teams expect the following.

Lions: 49'ers, currently 2-1 and the Cowboys currently 1-1. (after tonight 1-2)
Packers: Rams, currently 0-3 and the NY Giants currently 2-1.

So the Packers schedule is sooooooooooo much harder than the Lions. Sure they get Atlanta at home, but they play NO in NO. Dallas in Dallas. The Packer got NO at home and they get the Rams at home.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on whether or not the Lions have a reasonably good counter for Finley? Some teams can partially cover him, while others have no chance (e.g. Bears)
Well they have safety Louis Delmas, who isn't afraid to take cheap shots low at runner/receivers knees.

He's cheap-shotted Finley a couple of times. I think he's the guy who took the blind shot at J-Mike's knee in Detroit 2009 which injured him for a few games.

J-Mike will dominate that guy in the red zone. I hope they put him on him. Calvin Johnson would have a better chance covering Finley in the red zone.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's compare a cupcake schedule to a champion schedule. Which by the way the Packer are playing the 2nd place teams and he Lions the 3rd place teams. Schedule goes by were you ended up in the division, not the play offs. So that being said, they play exactly the same teams expect the following.

Lions: 49'ers, currently 2-1 and the Cowboys currently 1-1. (after tonight 1-2)
Packers: Rams, currently 0-3 and the NY Giants currently 2-1.

So the Packers schedule is sooooooooooo much harder than the Lions. Sure they get Atlanta at home, but they play NO in NO. Dallas in Dallas. The Packer got NO at home and they get the Rams at home.
Any given Sunday.

If the Lions were still the losing team, I don't think their schedule would be considered easy.
Then again, I don't think any schedule is easy.
The underdogs can always win.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I really hope we both stay undefeated til we play each other.

12-4 is a stretch. Their 2nd half is not cupcake. They could easily lose 6 games after the bye alone.

LionsFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good analysis - I watched the Viking game and saw the Lions achilles heal - LT. Matthews is going to own Backus if thats the matchup.

Backus was absolutely pathetic yesterday. Jared Allen really just out right owned him. They went from zero sacks on staffard in 2 games to 5 yesterday. And if anywone is going to work Backus like that again, it will be Mathews. I hope yesterday was a wake up call for Backus.

Not to mention his 2 false starts in a row and a sack on the final drive before OT. Wow, really just cant believe his play yesterday....

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
The Lions won't make the playoffs. As good as they played in the second half, they played HORRIBLY in the first half. Couldn't even get a first down. They won't keep winning games if they are playing only one half of football. They suck still.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this guy called, Suh? Word on the street is he's pretty dang good. Lions have a solid D, my one concern for them this year is will they be able to protect Stafford from getting whacked again and they seem to of answered that. What are the O-Linemen like for the Lions? They can't be that bad, it's week 3 and Stafford is still walking.

LionsFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The o-line takes alot of heat from fans here in Detroit. They were ranked 6th in sacks allowed last year which is good but there are alot of areas they need to improve on.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am still like 1 foot on board the lions bandwagon as of now. I honestly cant see them going 12-4 or 11-5 just because it's a long season and i think everyone on that team/watching at home is holding their breath everytime stafford gets hit. if him or Calvin Johnson miss signifcant time you can pretty much throw the lions away again. With that being said as long as they are both on the field no lead is insurmountable that connection seems to be clicking in a scary way right now and nearly anytime Stafford hucks it down the field to Calvin there is a good chance of him coming down with it. Hopefully the packers arent stupid enough to single cover him EVER when we play them.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lions will make the playoffs. They have been nearly dominate minus that one half yesterday.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I don't think the Lions will be losing every game you pointed out.
Dallas? The Cowboys barely squeezed out in San Francisco playing a terrible offense. Dallas is an average team at best. Romo is known to **** around in games that matter. I really don't see Dallas being a problem for them. They are a big love for the media cause all the bad boy reputations they have on the field, but defense wise, the Lions will probably knock Romo out the game. We'll see how good Dallas is tonight against Rex Grossman if they can cover Stafford who is playing really good so far.

At Atlanta, you gotta remember, the Falcons won their division off a fairly easy schedule last season. Atlanta's o-line has been crushed this year. Sure they beat the Eagles, at home, but barely beat them. The Pack Attack set the blue print to destroying them in the playoffs. Don't matter if they are at home or not, teams are running that same thing to beat them with heavy blitzes and deep coverage on Roddy White.

Now I do think the Saints, Raiders, Packers, and maybe the Chargers will be a problem but at the same time the Lions look like a problem to those teams. As much as I love the Saints, their defense has been so sloppy this year. Watching them play Houston, they could not stop the passing game at all for the first 3 quarters of that game, Andre Johnson was wide open all in the first half.

The Lions are good, never thought I'd see it, but I gotta believe it. They could easily win 10 games.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Week
5- vs Bears
6- vs 49ers
8- @ Denver
9- Bye
10- @ Chicago
11- vs Panthers
13- @ New Orleans
14- vs Vikings
15- @Raiders
16- vs Chargers
17- @ Packers

Wow.
Again, there they go again, stealing a W that they really shouldn't have gotten.
They should be 2-2, but they are right there with us at 4-0, and 1-0 within the division.
They've won 3 road games already.
They aren't afraid when they fall behind.

The Lions have Restored the Roar.

I still see them going 12-4. That would be 8-4 here on out, and they have 7 home games left. I don't see them losing 4 actually, but we need sweep them, which we didn't do last year.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These b*****ds won again, now 5-0 for the first time since the 1950's.
I told you guys these Lions were for real.
They're not the same old Lions and that was evident last year coming down the stretch, and this preseason, when in week 3 (the one that matters), the beat the **** up on the Patriots.

I posted their schedule above.
I see them going about 12-4, and we might have to sweep them to assure we win our division.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
They weren't impressive. The Bears were pitiful. Rodgers is going to torch that Lions secondary. I don't think Stafford will be able to keep up.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congrats to them on their win, but lets keep things in perspective here. Are the Lions better than the Packers? Is Stafford better than Aaron? Is their Oline better than ours. Is their D better than ours? The Lions have a great team this year, but as long as the Packers can still beat them, they won't get very far. I'm happy for their fans, they needed this but the bane of their existence lies in Green Bay. I think we will prove to be the sword that tames the Lions. Praise the Lions all you want, but remember, ultimate faith in the Pack.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts