New rivalry.

OP
OP
Jayzee1981

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions are testing the core beliefs of most NFL coaches and executives. I'm not sold either, but don't believe that there is ever only one way to do things in sports. A top QB will hamstring your cap much more than any other position. If they can build a team of 21 very good players around a game-manager QB, then they might be able to do it. It's a small sample size of the '85 Bears and the 2000 Ravens that won it all with sub-par QBs, but it is possible.
Well said

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well you did say they’d lose by 3 TDs did you not? Also I never once said I was rooting for them, I clearly said that they should be our next rivalry in the division.

That being said, pulling for a divisional rival in a playoff game that’s playing the team that beat your favorite team isn’t cootie filled “gross” either. It won’t give you football cooties I swear.

This is the dumbest conversation I've had on the forum in quite some time.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well you did say they’d lose by 3 TDs did you not? Also I never once said I was rooting for them, I clearly said that they should be our next rivalry in the division.

That being said, pulling for a divisional rival in a playoff game that’s playing the team that beat your favorite team isn’t cootie filled “gross” either. It won’t give you football cooties I swear.
reading comprehension, its what you are missing

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would expect the Lions to take a step back next season. The spoils of success.

I would expect Ben Johnson to take the HC opportunity in Washington or Seattle if offered, and the offense in Detroit will look completely different.

The defense might improve, but I think they'll be fighting for a wildcard spot.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congratulations to the Detroit Lions. Boys and girls, we are entering a new era. It's no longer the Chicago Bears as our rivals. We have a new, yet old rivalry coming back and it's the Detroit Lions. What a world. Yesterday's debacle, albeit heartbreaking, tragic, upsetting or whatever adjective you see fit to describe it, you better recognize the upswing of both of these teams. The Packers, this year, if anything they accomplished, they've proven now a regular contender for the division again. It's great for football. Good for a refreshing change of the guards within the division. Yes, last night was heartbreaking. I for one am excited for this offseason and, future.
I don't think a Packers/Lions rivalry will ever replace the Packers/Bears. There may be a few seasons where the games may be more competitive. It been a while since the Bears have been a threat but Bear week still brings out the angst more than the Lions ever will.

OP
OP
Jayzee1981

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think a Packers/Lions rivalry will ever replace the Packers/Bears. There may be a few seasons where the games may be more competitive. It been a while since the Bears have been a threat but Bear week still brings out the angst more than the Lions ever will.
I never said it'll replace anything. I said it can be the new rivalry. Take recent events for instance. They beat us in Lambeau to knock us out of the playoff contention. They split during the regular season, which they outscored us averaging both games. They've been building their team relatively well in recent years to seemingly compete in this division for a good while. I agree to an extent. Let's be honest. The Bears don't, and haven't ruffled my football feathers for a while, and I doubt many other fans as well. The Lions and Packers, I believe can give us a renewed sense of what a divisional rivalry is supposed to be, IF each franchise can show some successful consistency.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said it'll replace anything. I said it can be the new rivalry. Take recent events for instance. They beat us in Lambeau to knock us out of the playoff contention. They split during the regular season, which they outscored us averaging both games. They've been building their team relatively well in recent years to seemingly compete in this division for a good while. I agree to an extent. Let's be honest. The Bears don't, and haven't ruffled my football feathers for a while, and I doubt many other fans as well. The Lions and Packers, I believe can give us a renewed sense of what a divisional rivalry is supposed to be, IF each franchise can show some successful consistency.
I don't see as much hatred for any team as much as I do the Bears even though it hasn't been close for a long time. The vikings would probably be second with the cowboys and 49ers coming in at 3 and 4 or vice versa. I can't think of any other team besides those 4 who would be considered a rivalry with the Packers and I don't see the Lions overtaking any of these teams in the near future. Maybe if the Lions beat us out of the playoffs for the next 3 or 4 years they might replace the cowboys and/or the 49ers but its going to take many many years, if its even possible, for the Lions to overtake the vikings or the Bears in terms of rivalry.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, what you are saying is if the Lions were to take over from one of those four teams, that would create a new rivalry? Where else have I heard that before? I just feel like I have seen that thought mentioned before. Eh, probably not, I must be confusing threads.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congratulations to the Detroit Lions. Boys and girls, we are entering a new era. It's no longer the Chicago Bears as our rivals. We have a new, yet old rivalry coming back and it's the Detroit Lions. What a world. Yesterday's debacle, albeit heartbreaking, tragic, upsetting or whatever adjective you see fit to describe it, you better recognize the upswing of both of these teams. The Packers, this year, if anything they accomplished, they've proven now a regular contender for the division again. It's great for football. Good for a refreshing change of the guards within the division. Yes, last night was heartbreaking. I for one am excited for this offseason and, future.
All 4 teams have been known for post season debacles now. Next year's division title will obviously have the Lions as favorite but it will be competitive. Bears and Packers both finished strong. Vikings will have Cousins and Jefferson together at full tilt.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced on Goff. Rams has a similar season in 2018 and then decided to trade Goff 2 years after. He's like a better version of Cousins, but still not good enough to be a franchise QB (at least not yet). Plus he becomes UFA next season, so on with the contract talks ...

Will hold judgement on Lions for now.

Goff is pretty good until he is forced out of the pocket and things aren't on schedule. If you need him to improvise, there's a problem.

Love has a much brighter future, IMHO. The window in Detroit might not be open long.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, what you are saying is if the Lions were to take over from one of those four teams, that would create a new rivalry? Where else have I heard that befor just feel like I have seen that thought mentioned before. Eh, probably not, I must be confusing threads.
Not sure if you are replying to me or not but I will assume you are since I mentioned 4 specific teams. I don't think I said it would create a new rivalry. In the case of the cowboys and 9ers I said maybe. In the case of the Bears and vikings I said I doubt it would happen. Im not sure where you heard it before hut it wasn't from me. You must be confusing threads.

To reiterate my stance I highly doubt the Lions will ever replace the Bears or vikings in a rivalry. As far as the cowboys and 9ers IF we stop playing meaningful games with them over a period of several years and the Lions become our new nemesis over that time period then they MIGHT replace one of those teams. Of course my feelings are that those two teams are not honest and for true rivalries. Its more of a hatred for them because they have had a history of beating us in important games but I don't think that necessarily makes a rivalry because it can change from decade to decade and we forget.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if you are replying to me or not but I will assume you are since I mentioned 4 specific teams. I don't think I said it would create a new rivalry. In the case of the cowboys and 9ers I said maybe. In the case of the Bears and vikings I said I doubt it would happen. Im not sure where you heard it before hut it wasn't from me. You must be confusing threads.

To reiterate my stance I highly doubt the Lions will ever replace the Bears or vikings in a rivalry. As far as the cowboys and 9ers IF we stop playing meaningful games with them over a period of several years and the Lions become our new nemesis over that time period then they MIGHT replace one of those teams. Of course my feelings are that those two teams are not honest and for true rivalries. Its more of a hatred for them because they have had a history of beating us in important games but I don't think that necessarily makes a rivalry because it can change from decade to decade and we forget.
I don't know, maybe the title of this thread?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ben Johnson turned down head coaching opportunities and is staying in Detroit. That will help them out a lot this next season. I still think the Packers can/will catch them in the division.