Leroy steps into the Favre Retirement

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Just when a couple of short days have passed since Brett spoke yet again.. now LeRoy has somethin' to say about Favre..

It will never end I swear..

BUTLER STIRRING THE BRETT POT
Posted by Mike Florio on April 30, 2008, 4:06 p.m.
Former Packers safety Leroy Butler is convinced that former Packers quarterback Brett Favre wants to play.

And Butler thinks it will only be a matter of time before Brett makes it known that he’s ready to return.

So says Butler in an Interview with WTMJ in Milwaukee.

Butler speculates that, once Brett says he wants to play, the Packers likely won’t welcome him back. So then the question becomes whether he gets traded to another team.

That’s where Butler’s theory falls apart. He mentions the other NFC North teams — Chicago, Minnesota, Detroit — as the possible destinations for Favre.

There’s no way that the Packers would trade him to any of those teams. In fact, it’s possible that the Packers won’t trade him to anyone.

But Brett still has some leverage in this regard. He can show up at pretty much any time before the late November/early December deadline for coming off the reserve/retired list and say, “I’m here. Deal with me.”

If the Packers decide they don’t want him, they’ll either have to trade him or release him. And if they release him before the trade deadline, he becomes an unrestricted free agent, and can play for any team.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People with this much drive, you have to practically literally pull them away kicking and screaming. I just can't imagine Favre retired. Just like I can't imagine Stephen King staying retired. Or Ozzy Osbourne. Or James Brown. Or Michael Jordan. Well, Jordan came back twice. James Brown is dead. But you get my point.

And no, we're not trading him to a division rival. Won't happen.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Leroy's defense, he likes to talk. Sometimes a little bit too much, but he's a good guy.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I would like to see Favre 'show up'. That is when you would get your real answers once and for all. Then the discussion could end.

EDIT: Nice sig 93.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow - I can't see that happening "here I am - deal with me" I mean, I don't know the guy personally but I think he realizes what that would do to the team.

I'm sure it's going to be difficult for him to "stay retired." Everything I saw in that press conference and since tells me he knows the decision is final and that is what makes it all that much tougher on him.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I met Leroy once. At his birthday party at Champions Bar right near Brett's Steak House. He was signing autographs for $20. a piece.

When I came up, he was talking to the owner of the bar and saying to him "Once I am in the Packers H.O.F. I am going to charge more than $20 dollars.... You know that right?"

I was not impressed that he was saying that, especially while people were around that could hear. It appeared to me that it was all about the money.

I may be wrong, he may have been just joking. But his tonality and they way he said it just did not sit right with me.

R.P.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll probably get blasted for this, but I don't like Leroy Butler. As a player, awesome, other than that, me no likey.

It started with his articles on packers.com. They were just bad and dumb and negative. Then I heard stories like RPs. Some players need to learn when they retire to just GO AWAY.

I'd like for Brett to stay involved in the sport(announcer?), but Leroy can go away please.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll probably get blasted for this, but I don't like Leroy Butler. As a player, awesome, other than that, me no likey.

It started with his articles on packers.com. They were just bad and dumb and negative. Then I heard stories like RPs. Some players need to learn when they retire to just GO AWAY.

I'd like for Brett to stay involved in the sport(announcer?), but Leroy can go away please.

Trom,

Honest. I was not impressed. It was not a feel good moment.

It was like a cattle call for $20 dollar bills. No emotion, no little extra smile, or "Thank You."

OH.... And if you wanted a picture with him... He was happy to do it, but you could not use your own camera.... No. In fact he had his own photographer there... That was an extra $20 or $25.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

Trom,

It was like a cattle call for $20 dollar bills. No emotion, no little extra smile, or "Thank You."

OH.... And if you wanted a picture with him... He was happy to do it, but you could not use your own camera.... No. In fact he had his own photographer there... That was an extra $20 or $25.

Yeah longtimefan had a similar experience:

PackFanTrav said:
Yeah i was only 12 and he said he doesn't sign autographs through out the season, only in the offseason.

better then leroy butler telling a 10 year old you got 10$?

no, well I dont have your autograph

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
tromadz said:

Trom,

PackFanTrav said:
Yeah i was only 12 and he said he doesn't sign autographs through out the season, only in the offseason.

Didn't happen to me, but heard from a VERY reliable source..Lot of other things too, just rather not post public..

If truly interested pm me, I'll explain

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those stories are sad to hear.

Sometimes, I guess ignorance is bliss. He was one of my faves in the 90s.

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Butler is a kind of a *****... small little guy too...

Somebody should just tell him his autograph isnt worth 10 bucks... let alone 20

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre has retired, people should accept that, he's not coming back, he's not young, he's 38.

A1MEANGREEN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IronMan said:
Raider Pride said:
tromadz said:

Trom,

PackFanTrav said:

Didn't happen to me, but heard from a VERY reliable source..Lot of other things too, just rather not post public..

If truly interested pm me, I'll explain

man i really liked the butler but sure didnt know any of this. well i guess you never know people really. he was a killer player. but not one of my best like players anymore. :twocents:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
I think that Favre would only come back for the money so whats the point, If he still loves the game he would have never retired in the first place

I don't think he cares about the money. He has enough of that for a lifetime and for his daughters' lifetimes.

He does love the game; he's just sick of the rest of the week. I'm under the impression he feels that the 3 hours of fun on Sunday aren't worth the lost sleep in the film room, the drills, the practices, and all the other crap.

Jamie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe most (if not all) of the money Leroy Butler gets for his autograph's goes to his Leroy Butler Foundation for breast cancer. I am not trying to defend him, but it is a good cause, if this is the case.

V

Vikeman

Brett Favre is the greatest quarterback to ever play the game...Please come don a Purple jersey you drama queen!!!!

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre is the greatest quarterback to ever play the game...Please come don a Purple jersey you drama queen!!!!

Never in a million or whatever that huge number is years.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ugh. I'm going to start my own sports news website, tv show and newspaper, just so I can ignore all the Favre unretirement talk.

Members online

Latest posts