Judgement in Preseason

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montgomery won't be cut this season, but I doubt we re-sign him after his rookie contract is up.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Montgomery won't be cut this season, but I doubt we re-sign him after his rookie contract is up.
You could be right on him making the final 53 but sadly that will be based more on injuries, Jones suspension and nobody else below him on the depth chart stepping up. It also wouldn't surprise me to see the Packers grab another RB in the next 2 weeks if they feel he is a better option than Monty.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could be right on him making the final 53 but sadly that will be based more on injuries, Jones suspension and nobody else below him on the depth chart stepping up. It also wouldn't surprise me to see the Packers grab another RB in the next 2 weeks if they feel he is a better option than Monty.
Who is the Packers #1 RB to start the season?

Reaction score
Who is the Packers #1 RB to start the season?
IMO, Jamaal Williams is primed to be our starting RB. Montgomery will be an adequate #2 until week 3 when Jones is back. Jamaal was also back at practice today so he has 2 full weeks to prepare himself.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Williams is the #1 all season long. I realize he's coming off an ankle injury, but overall I do think he is just going to be the most durable. Jones is the most explosive. I'm most disappointed in Montgomery. He's got a 10 play per game maximum, and his pass blocking is horrendous, still. I haven't been able to see if Jones has gotten better in that department, but monty and Williams is so different. I watch Montgomery get blown up one play and then in the next I see Williams take 245lb free rusher head one and just stone him, and then the next steps to the middle and see's the blitzer coming from the outside and is able to get there and absolutely change that guys direction keeping the passer clean. That skill doesn't go unnoticed and even if he's at 3.5 yards per carry and Jones and 5.5, he's still going to be your "starter".

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
crazy preseason as far as the Packers', and some other team's, approach to it. very little veteran play, no "dressed rehearsal game." dal did the same thing.

Teams are less concerned with dress rehearsal than they are perhaps with injuries.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Meh depends on what you're looking for. I look for players with strong camp reports to show up in PS to see if that will carry over into the season. It has some value for direct analysis and to see if certain skillsets show up come gametime. I remember Des Bishop having some monster PS games before he finally seized a starting job.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preseason is for measuring individual performances and not team results.

Yeah in my experience the offseason rock stars who play well in PS seem more likely to carry it over into the regular season than those guys who camp well but seem to suck when the lights come on, remember Brandon Underwood?

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is preseason play a good measurement of the upcoming regular season?

In a way slightly yes, but mostly no. Let me explain.

I think from the standpoint that not all starters are gonna stay healthy, and you know what you have with backups it doesn't because you got backups playing against backups. IF pre-season was more like college spring games (Generally 1s vs 2s etc.) it would be.

Where I think it IS a good measuring stick is, if your starters are struggling even in limited rep situations, you know they're gonna struggle in regular season. Pre-season also shows lack of talent/scheme issues (i.e. the packers averaging like 2.9 yards per rush)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preseason AND training camp in their current form only add serve to another month to the dead time between the draft and regular season.

H

HardRightEdge

Preseason AND training camp in their current form only add serve to another month to the dead time between the draft and regular season.
Coaches and GMs would disagree. Preseason game action is essential in evaluating inexperienced talent.

Jerry is an exception because he happens to also be an owner. He sees the cash register ringing with an 18 game season. At least he sees value in 2 preseason games.

The quality of play is bad enough in the first 3 weeks of the season with vets getting little or no game action in preseason. It would only get worse if the inexperienced guys and added vets don't see any within the systems they have to play.

Of course quantity over quality would not be unusual in the NFL.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If he proves to be a reliable weapon as a pass catcher and ball carrier even in a limited role where he gets 5-10 touches a game, I can very easily see where the Packers would want to re-sign him. He’s got a versatile skill set that is a challenge for opposing DC’s to deal with if the staff uses him in a way that changes our look.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he proves to be a reliable weapon as a pass catcher and ball carrier even in a limited role where he gets 5-10 touches a game, I can very easily see where the Packers would want to re-sign him. He’s got a versatile skill set that is a challenge for opposing DC’s to deal with if the staff uses him in a way that changes our look.
Guy just can't stay on the field. I hope he proves me wrong this season, I've always liked him.

H

HardRightEdge

That's the thing. If he has a modestly productive season as a complementary player his price tag will be low. Continuing in that role at a modest price would be possible, but not a high priority item on the "to do" list. His blocking is poor which limits his utility as a 3-down running back; he's shined most when catching out of the backfield and slot. The position with the easiest transition from college to pros is the running back and decent role players can be found fairly deep into the draft.

Consider Starks' last contract coming off his 2015 season where he led the team in yards from scrimmage with nearly 1.000 yards run+catch. That earned him a 2 year deal for a total of $5.2 mil with only the $1.5 mil signing bonus guaranteed.

We don't expect 1,000 yards out of Montgomery, do we? Starks' 2015 season was unusual for him, staying relatively healthy throughout. 16 games played in 2014 and 2015 looked like he might have turned the corner on his chronic injury history, dating back to college where his draft value dropped like a rock. It was not to be. Given Montgomery's injury history, with him already off to a bad start on that count, the odds are he'll be an off-and-on role player.

D

Deleted member 6794

Pre-season also shows lack of talent/scheme issues (i.e. the packers averaging like 2.9 yards per rush)

The Packers never lined up with their starting offensive line and the running backs who will make the roster didn't get a lot of touches. There's no reason to put too much stock into that pedestrian number.