Judgement in Preseason

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes, it's a 1-1 relationship. They should just computer simulate the regular season and get right to the playoffs based off preseason play

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not really imo...since it's so rookie/back-up centered. plus the rust factor for veteran players. that and learning curve for noobs and teams going through coaching changes.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wrote something about this last night. For the Packers, Preseason has turned into pretty much evaluating individual players, while giving them the real speed playing time of the NFL. Sure there is one game where AR suits up and plays a series or two and knocks off some of the rust with the other starters, as well as Pettine fielding the 100% healthy starters on defense for as long as he feels he needs to. But it seems like protecting your key players from injury is a big goal of the preseason, while learning as much as you can about the new guys.

So to answer the OP...I wouldn't put much stake in the scoreboard, the wins and losses or even the stats created during preseason. The real deal starts in Week 1 and some teams will be a bit rustier than others, depending on their particular approach to preseason.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not even close. The 08 lions were 4-0 in preseason and then went 0-16 in the regular season.

H

HardRightEdge

It's for comparing one rookie or guy on the bubble or guy competing for regular season playing time to one another. They're all playing against second and third tier competition, a level playing field, pun intended.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I read that teams will not show plays they use in practice until the regular season begins.
Yup. Why give your regular season opponents too much information? Preseason is all about knocking the rust off a bit and evaluation of those guys fighting to be on the roster.

A good example is Monty. I really think we saw a lot of him the other night, not just because we are thin at RB, but he is on the bubble. I was a bit surprised at how long Martinez and some other starters were left in, but that probably is due to Pettine wanting to make sure his new system is tweaked and ready to go.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. Why give your regular season opponents too much information? Preseason is all about knocking the rust off a bit and evaluation of those guys fighting to be on the roster.

A good example is Monty. I really think we saw a lot of him the other night, not just because we are thin at RB, but he is on the bubble. I was a bit surprised at how long Martinez and some other starters were left in, but that probably is due to Pettine wanting to make sure his new system is tweaked and ready to go.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Monty cutt honestly. Below average rb, below average wr, and can’t stay healthy to save his life.

H

HardRightEdge

For the Packers, Preseason has turned into pretty much evaluating individual players, while giving them the real speed playing time of the NFL.
That's pretty much how all teams treat it. Starters get a little playing time to get the rust off and get reaccustomed to full contact. I would not overlook the importance of real contact playing time for player evaluation since there is so little in training camp. Further, evaluating play against unfamiliar opponents as opposed to the same guys over and over in practice has value. It speaks to absorbing a game plan and film study, and adaptability.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who else ya got?

I agree with Monty being cut for the injury reason. I think that if this guy could stay healthy he could be a huge weapon because you can put him on the outside against lbs and he can be effective as a change of pace back. With Williams and Jones both being pretty good WRs and healthier I just don’t see a need for Monty. They could look at signing a bigger back imo. Maybe even Eddie Lacy who’s familiar with the system.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They could look at signing a bigger back imo. Maybe even Eddie Lacy who’s familiar with the system.

Oh boy, that is a big fat lob ball you tossed up for others to start swinging at. ;)

But yeah, Monty is only valuable to the Packers if he can play and IMO that value is only as a 3rd and long back. Handing the ball off to Monty on first and 10 or 3rd and 1, seems to go absolutely nowhere. Not even sure if he has gotten blocking down? I like the guy, but he runs too upright, can't seem to shed a tackle or make his own holes and his kickoff returns are meh. I will take him over Cobb though out of the backfield, I really really hope Philbin has removed that play from the playbook.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the two pass blocks he missed in limited action in preseason week 1 is any indication, which I think it is, the answer would be "no".
Yup, thought so, I wasn't keeping track though. I really think the Packers can find better options than Monty as their #3 back. Jones and Williams are locks at #1 and #2. With Jones having to sit the first 2 games, the Packers will obviously need to start the season with a 3rd and possibly a 4th back depending on Williams status. There should be some healthy guys hitting the waiver wires that have to be a better option than Monty. I think MM and Co. saw that coming and that was why we saw 2 new guys signed recently.

As much as I politicked to bring Lacy back, I have already confessed that I was wrong on that desire. His time has come and gone and also I think we need more of 3rd down type back, someone who can block but also come out of the backfield and run a pattern and catch the ball.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree with Monty being cut for the injury reason. I think that if this guy could stay healthy he could be a huge weapon because you can put him on the outside against lbs and he can be effective as a change of pace back. With Williams and Jones both being pretty good WRs and healthier I just don’t see a need for Monty. They could look at signing a bigger back imo. Maybe even Eddie Lacy who’s familiar with the system.
Jones is suspended for two games. Lacy is out of the question; history has its consequences. Mays has been sidelined since early August with a hamstring and may be heading for an injury settlement.

Without Montgomery, for the first two weeks of the season you're looking at Williams, Ripkowski and ? Right now ? looks like Bouagnon.

There's a problem with signing a vet for 2 games when thereafter you expect him to be #3 behind Williams and Jones. Besides paying a guy to not even suit up on Sunday by week 3 barring injury, if he has any tread left he'll want to go somewhere he'll play enough to make a case for next year's contract. That pretty much leaves you with a vet nobody wants or an undiscovered UDFA or ex-practice squad "gem".

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not even close. The 08 lions were 4-0 in preseason and then went 0-16 in the regular season.

I was going to post that and the cowboys went 3-1 in the preseason in 1989 when they went 1-15 in the regular season. I'm sure there are plenty of reverse scenarios as well where teams did very poorly in the PS and did well in the regular season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers were 2-2 in the 2010 preseason, with one of those loses to the Cleveland Browns. The Packers went on to win the SB that season.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember the 96' Packers losing to the Colts 30-6 and looking horrible. John Madden was being Madden saying that Howard couldn't be a returner when Howard was tackled by a shoestring or sock or something.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bitter sweet to see Sam back on the field, but not in Green and Gold and playing like THAT!
I didn't realize Shields was playing again, so thanks for posting that.
Ugh, the Rams! Well, I hope for his sake he stays healthy.

D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion Montgomery is a lock to make the roster.

A bit off track, but judging by this play....Sam Shields is back! His teammates need to be more careful though with congratulations of slaps to his helmet!

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1033455247065149440

Bitter sweet to see Sam back on the field, but not in Green and Gold and playing like THAT!

There's no doubt Shields is a talented cornerback but I wouldn't feel comfortable with the Packers risking his health by allowing him to play again.

Reaction score
Idk. I do know GB played KC in preseason 6 of the last 8 seasons (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016)
Tidbit: GB did NOT play KC in the preseason in ‘15 and ‘17 and both years the Vikings won our division.
Fact: Each year since 2010 that GB played KC in the preseason we either won the division OR won the SuperBowl.
In 2018... ironically GB once again plays the Kansas City Chiefs.