Jason Spriggs

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has now successfully replaced two different sets of pro bowl guards, a franchise LT, and a Packer HOF at RT.

O line certainly is an area he's good at.
I would credit James Campen with some of that success as well.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disappointment is justified because of your ignorance? Bold take.

It's ok if you don't follow college players or understand if they're good or not. That's fine! The problem is when you think you can judge them later. You have to know where they're starting from.

I know he started as costing three draft choices. If TT is going to spend that kind of capital, then, whether I've heard of the guy or not, I expect that he'd better be able to perform at a higher level, and faster, than a run-of-the-mill choice.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We traded a couple picks for a guy that TT believes/believed could be a bookend T. In the 2nd round, that's worth the move every time.

Spriggs is only 23. Give him time. Maybe believe TT is pretty decent at drafting OL. Or just that he's good at drafting, period.

People hated on Kenny Clark. To this day, they still hate on Randall. Maybe realize different guys develop at different rates. And maybe realize Teddy is a lot better at this than any of you. Hell, he's much better than the majority of his peers.

Better have more than a belief if it's going to cost more than you indicated.

Reaction score
Disappointment is justified because of your ignorance? Bold take.
:roflmao:
Know that wasn’t meant for me but it brought to mind something I thought funny.
Ill never forget when the press interviewed the former Speaker of the House. The Speaker casualty and quickly responded to a question that they were not disappointed in the actions of a particular U.S. President they served under because...” Disappointment is related to Expectations” and they didn’t expect much of that President to begin with. Lol
It was so funny that, even though I liked that President at the time, I got a good chuckle.
It was a great example of using the Queens English in eloquent fashion, that was one of the smoothest personal insults I’ve heard. :D

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he started as costing three draft choices. If TT is going to spend that kind of capital, then, whether I've heard of the guy or not, I expect that he'd better be able to perform at a higher level, and faster, than a run-of-the-mill choice.

Why? Your expectations don't matter.

I look at what the coaches and GM thought. They drafted Spriggs not for the moment, but for the future. They took lower assets and turned them into a guy that they thought could perform like an early first round pick but wasn't there yet. It was worth the gamble! Just because your expectations were off kilter doesn't make it bad, it just means your expectations were bad.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's his 2nd year.

It's justified for people to say that expectations were out of whack and "certain" people need to be more realistic.

Coming out it was known that Spriggs was very athletic, needed some technique work, and needed a lot of strength gains. Anybody with any knowledge of OL play could've said he wasn't going to be ready his 1st year. Most rookies aren't gonna show out in their rookie year. Some will be awful! And a lot of them will develop from there. Crazy, I know. We all need to be more realistic when it comes to development.

The Packers have drafted several offensive linemen that performed at least on a decent level during their rookie season. Spriggs looked like he didn't belong in the NFL and therefore criticism was justified.

Maybe believe TT is pretty decent at drafting OL. Or just that he's good at drafting, period.

Thompson hasn't been particularly good at drafting over the past few years.

I look at what the coaches and GM thought. They drafted Spriggs not for the moment, but for the future.

The Packers using three draft picks to move up some spots to select Spriggs strongly indicates the front office expected him to have an immediate impact, possibly allowing the team to let Bakhtiari walk away in free agency.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? Your expectations don't matter.

I look at what the coaches and GM thought. They drafted Spriggs not for the moment, but for the future. They took lower assets and turned them into a guy that they thought could perform like an early first round pick but wasn't there yet. It was worth the gamble! Just because your expectations were off kilter doesn't make it bad, it just means your expectations were bad.

Certainly, in terms of running the team, nothing I think makes any difference. However, in terms of this forum, nothing the coaches and GM think/thought makes any difference, while what I think gets posted.

FWIW, do you really want to do a quick survey of the draft round/productivity of the Packer OL in the past few years?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would credit James Campen with some of that success as well.
I don't, wanted that bum gone 5 years ago and I can't let go of it despite recent successes and overcoming lots of adversity with a mish mash of guys constantly rotating thru on a semi constant basis. I was right then and I'm hanging on to it, hoping for failure of the offensive line every week so I can be proven right again! by these words I swear!

I kid of course. Just another one of those shining examples where clearly I was so right I was wrong :) I knew Campen was a bad man, just didn't realize he was a bad man like Rodgers is a bad man.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
here we go with 3 draft picks again LOL gotta make it seem as dramatic as possible.

anyway, it's just as likely they knew from the start they were going to make every effort possible to re-sign BakhT and knew they needed more depth at the Oline considering how decimated their oline was the previous year. I'd think as likely they saw him as a quality back up to develop and step in when needed and be a replacement for Bulaga.

only things I think that are obvious, he has the physical attributes to work with, and needed time to develop. Most guys aren't like Tauscher or BakhT where they come in as rookies and just play well on the Oline.

D

Deleted member 6794

anyway, it's just as likely they knew from the start they were going to make every effort possible to re-sign BakhT and knew they needed more depth at the Oline considering how decimated their oline was the previous year.

It's a terrible approach using three draft picks on a single player to improve the depth with the team in need of quality starters though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
unless of course he's needed and steps in. Better to put out some guy like Dallas and give up 6 sacks in a game probably. Vilified for building depth, crucified for wasting "3 picks" LOL. It was the same thinking that brought us Rodgers. Smart? or terrible approach?

D

Deleted member 6794

unless of course he's needed and steps in. Better to put out some guy like Dallas and give up 6 sacks in a game probably. Vilified for building depth, crucified for wasting "3 picks" LOL. It was the same thinking that brought us Rodgers. Smart? or terrible approach?

It definitely worked out perfectly with Rodgers. Unfortunately over the past few years that approach hasn't yielded a talented team around the franchise quarterback.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We
I don't, wanted that bum gone 5 years ago and I can't let go of it despite recent successes and overcoming lots of adversity with a mish mash of guys constantly rotating thru on a semi constant basis. I was right then and I'm hanging on to it, hoping for failure of the offensive line every week so I can be proven right again! by these words I swear!

I kid of course. Just another one of those shining examples where clearly I was so right I was wrong :) I knew Campen was a bad man, just didn't realize he was a bad man like Rodgers is a bad man.
all have our biases lol... Hundley has been mine , and while I am not ready to completely capitulate... I will admit that he has shown improvement.