Jason Spriggs

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Spriggs has started two games at RT now. I expected him to continue being a bit of a dumpster fire. However, I have to admit being slightly impressed. He's still got a long way to go but he hasn't been a turnstile. Thoughts so far? ....and be honest if you haven't watched him specifically the past two games. I think that there is a difference between pre-IR Spriggs and post-IR Spriggs.

The good news is that he's got a few more games to convince us that he could be the future. The bad news is that he's just getting back into the serviceable realm.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still needs to get stronger, but hardly anybody would've noticed he was out there unless someone said something. That's not a bad thing.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, he gets his chance to develop and make some mistakes without being pulled quickly. We should have a better book on him coming into next year.
He’s like most young inexperienced pro players. Developing and finding his way. I find it strange that so many fans expect finished products from guys going from college to pro ball. It’s such an unrealistic expectation imo.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers.com had a nice video on him after his first game at Pitt, he had a come from behind club move that was just beastly. He practically decleated a linebacker.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Spriggs is one of those cases that will further define James Campen's coaching chops. He's rarely been handed a stud rookie and always ends putting together a good line, all while dealing with the constant injuries of the modern NFL. We will see what he can do with Spriggs, because he definitely has technique issues that need to be addressed. It looks like he's already taking the baby steps.

Reaction score
He’s coming along gradual and if we continue to get just modest improvement before years end from his last couple of games work, with the return of Bulaga OT could become a position of strength in 2018.
It would enable us to focus on the O Line depth (which is a MUST to protect #12) by using a couple of mid round picks (or awarded comp picks) or a combination of that and FA (which we now are aware we missed at in 2017)
That would leave us essentially our normal full round of 7 picks to build on other positions of need.
The last quarter of the season Spriggs will face some very capable Defenders (including the Cleveland D) so his true colors should be revealed.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think we’ll get awarded 4 compensation picks next spring. Imo, it’s highly likely at least one will be an OL, maybe 2 even. We’ve got a guy we drafted last year on the practice squad, Kofi Amichi and Kyle Murphy also that will figure into OL depth. In the end, I’m sure there will be plenty of competition for the 8-9 roster spots.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we’ll get awarded 4 compensation picks next spring. Imo, it’s highly likely at least one will be an OL, maybe 2 even. We’ve got a guy we drafted last year on the practice squad, Kofi Amichi and Kyle Murphy also that will figure into OL depth. In the end, I’m sure there will be plenty of competition for the 8-9 roster spots.
With McCray having some starts this year before being beat out (hopefully because he's better) by Spriggs, the OL depth may already be on staff. Expect Evans to be asked to seek employment elsewhere next season. Bulaga may have to join him. Then we can listen all off season (again) to the part time posters that complain there is no OL depth again.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I like McCray and Murphy. If Spriggs really does prove capable during these last three games of the regular season, I see no need to waste more than a pick or two on OL depth. There are essentially nine draft-worthy positions and we only get seven picks plus a few low-to-mid comps. We need to draft another QB, WR, TE, DL, OLB, and CB as well. I don't think that RB, ILB, or Safties need to be on our target list unless it's a BPA pick.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He’s like most young inexperienced pro players. Developing and finding his way. I find it strange that so many fans expect finished products from guys going from college to pro ball. It’s such an unrealistic expectation imo.

Iti s natural (and warranted) to be disappointed in a second-round pick. If Jason Spriggs was not expected to be a late bloomer, how will anyone know he would be? Lack of playing time obviously didn't help when we had Don Barclay backing up Bryan Bulaga and T.J. Lang. When Spriggs is not the third string G/T, he has a chance to show why we made him a second round pick.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Iti s natural (and warranted) to be disappointed in a second-round pick. If Jason Spriggs was not expected to be a late bloomer, how will anyone know he would be? Lack of playing time obviously didn't help when we had Don Barclay backing up Bryan Bulaga and T.J. Lang. When Spriggs is not the third string G/T, he has a chance to show why we made him a second round pick.
This is the NFL. Very, very few players percentage wise come in and displace good experienced and relatively young starters on a good team with no salary cap problems. The truth is, most guys are late bloomers as in most aren’t really good players until at least 24-25. The guys that bloom earlier are outliers in the dataset.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the NFL. Very, very few players percentage wise come in and displace good experienced and relatively young starters on a good team with no salary cap problems. The truth is, most guys are late bloomers as in most aren’t really good players until at least 24-25. The guys that bloom earlier are outliers in the dataset.

That logical thinking would not help Browns fans. Thank God we root for a perennial playoff contender that can afford to draft late bloomers.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen more of the Spriggs I liked at Indiana this season than last. He has the ferocious in him waiting to come out. Actually I'm very happy with our Oline depth performance this season. Murphy and McCray both showed promise this season. If anything Spriggs 1st up at T McCray and Murphy back up guards and maybe draft a solid center who has swing capabilities in the middle rounds and we are set. I am not a fan of the tape and dont have much faith in Amichia who I dont think survives camp next season.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of the tape and dont have much faith in Amichia who I dont think survives camp next season.
Say what you may about TTs draft acumen elsewhere but he rarely misses out lately on offensive linemen. No matter how long they need to develop.
<now someone will be along to list all the misses>

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Say what you may about TTs draft acumen elsewhere but he rarely misses out lately on offensive linemen. No matter how long they need to develop.
<now someone will be along to list all the misses>

TT has now successfully replaced two different sets of pro bowl guards, a franchise LT, and a Packer HOF at RT.

O line certainly is an area he's good at.

Reaction score
I’m hoping his hip is better before Sunday. Sounds like he’s been limited in practice this week.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's justified to be disappointed in the performance of a second round pick, especially after giving up three picks to acquire Spriggs and him looking atrocious early in his career. Fortunately he has significantly improve over the second half of this season.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's justified to be disappointed in the performance of a second round pick, especially after giving up three picks to acquire Spriggs and him looking atrocious early in his career. Fortunately he has significantly improve over the second half of this season.

It's his 2nd year.

It's justified for people to say that expectations were out of whack and "certain" people need to be more realistic.

Coming out it was known that Spriggs was very athletic, needed some technique work, and needed a lot of strength gains. Anybody with any knowledge of OL play could've said he wasn't going to be ready his 1st year. Most rookies aren't gonna show out in their rookie year. Some will be awful! And a lot of them will develop from there. Crazy, I know. We all need to be more realistic when it comes to development.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's his 2nd year.

It's justified for people to say that expectations were out of whack and "certain" people need to be more realistic.

Coming out it was known that Spriggs was very athletic, needed some technique work, and needed a lot of strength gains. Anybody with any knowledge of OL play could've said he wasn't going to be ready his 1st year. Most rookies aren't gonna show out in their rookie year. Some will be awful! And a lot of them will develop from there. Crazy, I know. We all need to be more realistic when it comes to development.

The problem is not everyone who knows this about offensive linemen in general is familiar with the college careers of specifc players. More often than not, I don't know who a player is until he becomes a draft prospect or pick. For fans like me disappointment is natural, if not justified. But I understand the reality of player development. Hopefully we see more of it the next three weeks.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just another case of the kid having no control over his draft status. Just like AJ Hawk would have been viewed as a very good LB if he'd been taken in the 4th round, Spriggs would have been given a lot longer to look competent if they'd only used one draft choice on him.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is not everyone who knows this about offensive linemen in general is familiar with the college careers of specifc players. More often than not, I don't know who a player is until he becomes a draft prospect or pick. For fans like me disappointment is natural, if not justified. But I understand the reality of player development. Hopefully we see more of it the next three weeks.

Disappointment is justified because of your ignorance? Bold take.

It's ok if you don't follow college players or understand if they're good or not. That's fine! The problem is when you think you can judge them later. You have to know where they're starting from.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just another case of the kid having no control over his draft status. Just like AJ Hawk would have been viewed as a very good LB if he'd been taken in the 4th round, Spriggs would have been given a lot longer to look competent if they'd only used one draft choice on him.

We traded a couple picks for a guy that TT believes/believed could be a bookend T. In the 2nd round, that's worth the move every time.

Spriggs is only 23. Give him time. Maybe believe TT is pretty decent at drafting OL. Or just that he's good at drafting, period.

People hated on Kenny Clark. To this day, they still hate on Randall. Maybe realize different guys develop at different rates. And maybe realize Teddy is a lot better at this than any of you. Hell, he's much better than the majority of his peers.