Is a Mike Sherman/Brett Favre reunion possible???

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back on Wed. Dec. 28th I wrote a post that began like this:

Bruce said:
Mike Sherman will be let go sometime after this season. I also believe that Bates will go with him wherever Sherman lands (unless he lands a head coaching job). I highly doubt that Thompson will go with anyone other than his own selection -- which is not Bates.

I am not sure that it isn't the best thing for all parties involved. I hope he ends up in Kansas City, though I am quite confident that the Jets will be interested if Herm Edwards moves on.

Sadly, my guess is that Brett will hang them up if Sherman is let go. Which I do not for a second believe is best for any of the parties involved.

It was not the first time I had written that the Jets would probably covet Sherman if he became available.

Now read: Sorry for the technical error -- not sure what happened but take the link from Winnipeg a few posts below.

Some are now beginning to speculate that unless Thompson tries harder to make Favre at least feel wanted and somewhat respected that #4 may decide to wear green and white rather than green and gold in the very near future.

Frankly, I think it is a long shot proposition for many reasons, including Favre is currently Packer’s property. On the other hand, stranger things have happened. And say what you will about T.T., but straight shooter is never a term that will be used to describe him

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is this a voyeurs convention??? 20 some watchers but no participants??? I know some of you must have a reaction – what is it???

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will bite Bruce,

As is well known on here that I (as well as some others) don't think Mr Teddy has being trying to keep Brett at all. I think even though Brett has said he would never play anywhere else he may change his mind after what I consider to be pathetic treatment at this point by our organization and what you say may become a possibility.

The technical aspects on a reunion for this season though :?: me !!!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see Sherman coaching in New York, if that's where he ends up. I predict the New York media will eat him alive, as is the usual fate of coaches in that town. He would be much better off in a place like Houston.

Agreed that your scenario is a long shot, but there is some logic to it. The only reason I've never believed Favre would go somewhere else is that Favre has always denied strongly that he would do so. If it wasn't for that, it would make perfect sense for him to go to a team that wants to win right now.

I expect that the Sherman/Favre combo would be disastrous in New York, however, with Favre continuing to throw interceptions and Sherman refusing to admit any of Favre's mistakes (or any of his own, for that matter). They are not doing each other a whole lot of good at this point. I doubt that Sherman recognizes this, but Favre probably does, and would be unwilling to follow Sherman to another team. In my opinion, each of these guys could benefit from a fresh start, working with somebody else.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
It will be interesting to see Sherman coaching in New York, if that's where he ends up. I predict the New York media will eat him alive, as is the usual fate of coaches in that town. He would be much better off in a place like Houston.

I wanna see Sherman go to a team that needs some work, to see if he can develop players...oh Houston would be great--Reggie Bush benched for no appareant reason after 10 carries for 90 yards and 2 TD's...David Carr killed on the first play of the season while running a QB bootleg

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Brett is under contract for the Packers. The Jets or any other team would have to trade for him and take a helluva cap hit.

For Brett its Green and Gold or Green and John Deere.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman had clearly told Favre and squad that the interceptions were not going to be tolerated beyond this unusual season. Favre had no weapons -- his interception streak this season was certainly a result of this anomaly. Break down his interceptions this season -- most were when he was trying to bring his team back. Yes he threw into coverage, and I know you have heard me argue that no man is above accountability -- including first ballot HOFer's like Brett. But to try and say that his reckless play was the story behind this season's interception total is not fair and it is inaccurate.

Greg C. said:

Agreed that your scenario is a long shot, but there is some logic to it. The only reason I've never believed Favre would go somewhere else is that Favre has always denied strongly that he would do so. If it wasn't for that, it would make perfect sense for him to go to a team that wants to win right now.

I expect that the Sherman/Favre combo would be disastrous in New York, however, with Favre continuing to throw interceptions and Sherman refusing to admit any of Favre's mistakes (or any of his own, for that matter). They are not doing each other a whole lot of good at this point. I doubt that Sherman recognizes this, but Favre probably does, and would be unwilling to follow Sherman to another team. In my opinion, each of these guys could benefit from a fresh start, working with somebody else.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Brett is under contract for the Packers. The Jets or any other team would have to trade for him and take a helluva cap hit.

For Brett its Green and Gold or Green and John Deere.

I pointed this out in the original post.

However, if he worked with Green Bay to be released in the best possible CAP way and Thompson wants the CAP space and is as luke warm on Brett as he appears to be -- it is possible.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course most of the interceptions happened when Favre was trying to bring his team back. That's because the team was almost always trailing. I do realize that there's a connection between the high interception total and the lack of weapons, but when I think back on the actual throws, most of them were godawful. How many times this year did Favre throw the ball out of bounds when nobody was open? Not nearly enough, that's for sure. When you don't have as many weapons, you need to adjust your style of play. When somebody takes away your cannons and machine guns, a full frontal assault is not the best strategy. You will get cut to ribbons EVERY SINGLE TIME.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No no, JW84, Sherman getting Carr killed would definitely come on one of those brilliant empty backfields.:mrgreen: I mean, sturggling offensive line, struggling running game.....let's tell the defence that there's no chance of a run and see how hard they can pass rush!

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman had clearly told Favre and squad that the interceptions were not going to be tolerated beyond this unusual season. Favre had no weapons -- his interception streak this season was certainly a result of this anomaly. Break down his interceptions this season -- most were when he was trying to bring his team back. Yes he threw into coverage, and I know you have heard me argue that no man is above accountability -- including first ballot HOFer's like Brett. But to try and say that his reckless play was the story behind this season's interception total is not fair and it is inaccurate.
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Bruce,

Quit trying to explain the obvious to those on this forum who have their heads stuck so far up TT's butt, they won't see the sunshine until The Packers are once again the laughing stock of the NFL.

These people are just looking for any reason to justify TT's obvious lack of interest to bring Brett back to the Packers.

As far as a reunion, it is unlikely, but if Brett really wants to play and Thompson doesn't want him, he could always be traded to the Jets and then re-work his contract with them.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great post Buckeye. How pissed off does it get you to listen to these guys try to force Brett out. These people and friggen' nuts.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
is a reunion likely? yes. they can both go to the wisconsin IHop and talka bout old times.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
I will bite Bruce,

As is well known on here that I (as well as some others) don't think Mr Teddy has being trying to keep Brett at all. I think even though Brett has said he would never play anywhere else he may change his mind after what I consider to be pathetic treatment at this point by our organization and what you say may become a possibility.

The technical aspects on a reunion for this season though :?: me !!!

pathetic treatment by the organization? Wasnt brett the one who skipped his press conference sunday, and skipped the meeting monday....but its the organization that is treating him pathetic? i love favre too, but...no. no. wrong. you lose. no.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Pathetic treatment? Yet year after year not telling the TEAM if you're coming back or not is good treatment?

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom and Z2C,

Knew it was just a matter of time till you two took the bait lol.

As for the press conference, I have no defence except to say I don't think he wanted to be crying in front of the reporters as on that particular day he looked pretty emotional ( see video courtesy of trom ).

As for the year to year wait, we are talking about a man who's wife has serious health problems and I would assume that this factor is #1 in determining whether Brett decides on a year to year basis if he can come back and still give 100 %. ( Family first )

Irony here is he could give his answer sooner ( being less responsible ) and that would make us happier :?:

Post Note - Come to think about it, maybe I just took the bait and did not realize it :roll:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bait? IT's the truth. I think Brett is the best QB probably of all time (I haven't lived through the first 100 or so years of football so I cant say hes best of all time) but man. Why the drama?

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

is it jus the fans creating the drama?

nope its not that... because brett has said he might retire after this year, then this year, then this year, then this year. so its not the fans creating the drama every year.

It's Brett. I know his off field

I'd be emotional too if I was Brett. He beat his old coach on what could be his final game. I'd have been emotional from not knowing what I wanted to do knowing I was leaving an entire league on a cliff hanger waiting for me to say I'm not retiring or I am retiring. That would be very tiring indeed.

I want Brett back for TWO more years, atleast! I'm not arguing against HIM, I'm going against the bs line that the club is treating him like poopiez because they haven't asked him what to do with HC or whatever it is that your using against the club.

TT makes the decisions. Let him do his job. Do yours and support him.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you Support the whole organization including Brett Z2C. Read your last piece by the way and it is obvious your a TRUE fan. All I can say is I wish I was as optimistic as you about our future. No hard feelings, I really hope YOU are right and I am wrong on Ted.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
I know you Support the whole organization including Brett Z2C. Read your last piece by the way and it is obvious your a TRUE fan. All I can say is I wish I was as optimistic as you about our future. No hard feelings, I really hope YOU are right and I am wrong on Ted.

Didn't mean to offend ya there man sorry.

Members online