Favre > Rodgers > Love

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Truthfully, during that last 5 minutes, I could not fathom the amount of ineptness necessary to blow that game and thought that it would give McCarthy fodder to keep the Pack grounded prior to the Super Bowl. Never crossed my mind that the Midas Touch in reverse could lay its claim to the Packers that day.
Honestly, I was looking at the clock yesterday and the fact that MLF decided to pull starters and I couldn't help but think about that Seahawks game. The last 5 minutes of the game yesterday was like PTSD hitting me, on every play.

Yeah, I know the Packers won by 16, but they were up by what, 32 and that was cut in half in way too little of time. Even the announcers seemed to suddenly say "wait a minute, this isn't done yet."

Thankfully, the 2014 Ghost of The SeaChickens didn't fully rear their ugly heads yesterday.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I was looking at the clock yesterday and the fact that MLF decided to pull starters and I couldn't help but think about that Seahawks game. The last 5 minutes of the game yesterday was like PTSD hitting me, on every play.

Yeah, I know the Packers won by 16, but they were up by what, 32 and that was cut in half in way too little of time. Even the announcers seemed to suddenly say "wait a minute, this isn't done yet."

Thankfully, the 2014 Ghost of The SeaChickens didn't fully rear their ugly heads yesterday.
At that point I really had no doubt. Despite what I said before the game I felt very confident after their first TD of the second half that they had the game in the bag. Holding them to a field goal then coming back with the TD pretty much cemented it for me. I knew at some point they would pull the starters and go into a prevent mode. Pretty much every team does it and many do it with less than a 32 point lead.

The way I looked at it they needed 8 scores not 4. It was a 4 possession game but they had to score twice with each possession. Had they been up 28 then I would say 4 because extra points are automatic:whistling: but they not only needed 4 TDs but 4 2 point conversions as well. I just didn't think they could pull it off. Granted they got 4 of those scores a bit quicker than I would have liked but I just didn't feel they were going to give the game away at any point once they went up by 32.

As someone else pointed out we all would have been right POed if Love would have gotten hurt on a sack or Jones tore and ACL trying to get another first down when we were up by 32 points. As far as being aggressive and and keeping your foot on the gas they did just that on offense with the pass attempt to Kraft. If I am not mistaken he was wide open on the play and would have likely gotten the first down easily. That is being aggressive. I don't particularly like that he put the starters back in because I think it was unnecessary and I'm not sure it sends a good message to the backups but hey, at least he went for the kill shot.

Defensively in that situation you look to not give up the big play and they didn't. If I have any complaint about the defense at all it is that they seemed to give up the sideline too easily and stop the clock. Give them the middle of the field and keep the clock running. A couple of tackles inbounds and this isn't even a talking point.

I have zero issues with the way the game ended. A guy I work with says the goal should be to score 100 points every game while holding your opponents to none. I disagree, the goal should be to outscore your opponents by at least 1 point. Ideally you want to look good doing it and the Packers did. They looked great. While blowouts are nice they are not an absolute necessity. Besides anyone who watched the game knows it was a blowout despite it being close at the end...not that 16 points is particularly close. Giving up garbage time points is common and in some respects expected and IMO there is absolutely no reason to be embarrassed about how the game ended up.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
At that point I really had no doubt. Despite what I said before the game I felt very confident after their first TD of the second half that they had the game in the bag. Holding them to a field goal then coming back with the TD pretty much cemented it for me. I knew at some point they would pull the starters and go into a prevent mode. Pretty much every team does it and many do it with less than a 32 point lead.

The way I looked at it they needed 8 scores not 4. It was a 4 possession game but they had to score twice with each possession. Had they been up 28 then I would say 4 because extra points are automatic:whistling: but they not only needed 4 TDs but 4 2 point conversions as well. I just didn't think they could pull it off. Granted they got 4 of those scores a bit quicker than I would have liked but I just didn't feel they were going to give the game away at any point once they went up by 32.

As someone else pointed out we all would have been right POed if Love would have gotten hurt on a sack or Jones tore and ACL trying to get another first down when we were up by 32 points. As far as being aggressive and and keeping your foot on the gas they did just that on offense with the pass attempt to Kraft. If I am not mistaken he was wide open on the play and would have likely gotten the first down easily. That is being aggressive. I don't particularly like that he put the starters back in because I think it was unnecessary and I'm not sure it sends a good message to the backups but hey, at least he went for the kill shot.

Defensively in that situation you look to not give up the big play and they didn't. If I have any complaint about the defense at all it is that they seemed to give up the sideline too easily. It seems like they let the cowboys receivers got out of bounds to easily. Give them the middle of the field and keep the clock running.

I have zero issues with the way the game ended. A guy I work with says the goal should be to score 100 points every game while holding your opponents to none. I disagree, the goal should be to outscore your opponents by at least 1 point. Ideally you want to look good doing it and the Packers did. They looked great. While blowouts are nice they are not an absolute necessity. Besides anyone who watched the game knows it was a blowout despite it being close at the end...not that 16 points is particularly close. Giving up garbage time points is common and in some respects expected and IMO there is absolutely no reason to be embarrassed about how the game ended up.
You are correct, the bottom line is winning the game. However, the fact that MLF reinserted his starters, after the quick 16 points scored by the Cowboys, told me what I needed to know. He pulled them too quickly the first time and was nervous about the outcome when he reinserted them. I agree with you on injuries, but he risked those probably even more by letting his starters go cool down, maybe even untape, etc. thinking they were done and then reinserting them.

If nothing else, we escaped any major injuries during that final 5 minutes and maybe Gute learned a lesson. No lead is so safe, that you clear your bench and go into prevent defense and offense with your backups.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are correct, the bottom line is winning the game. However, the fact that MLF reinserted his starters, after the quick 16 points scored by the Cowboys, told me what I needed to know. He pulled them too quickly the first time and was nervous about the outcome when he reinserted them.
He even admitted that he pulled them too early. Yeah, the game was most likely in hand, but as fast as they were letting Dallas score there, there was a possibility - a slim one, but a possibility, for them to mount the miracle comeback. And speaking as someone who witnessed 4th and 26 and the Seattle playoff loss in the NFCCG, we don't ever want to see that again.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are correct, the bottom line is winning the game. However, the fact that MLF reinserted his starters, after the quick 16 points scored by the Cowboys, told me what I needed to know. He pulled them too quickly the first time and was nervous about the outcome when he reinserted them. I agree with you on injuries, but he risked those probably even more by letting his starters go cool down, maybe even untape, etc. thinking they were done and then reinserting them.

If nothing else, we escaped any major injuries during that final 5 minutes and maybe Gute learned a lesson. No lead is so safe, that you clear your bench and go into prevent defense and offense with your backups.
He may have pulled them too early but what did he gain by putting them back in. They went 3 and out just like the backups did. I'm speaking about the offense. I don't know about the defense but teams will almost always go prevent in that situation.

Reaction score
My wife is to blame

She assured me they would win when they were up. Actually said. No way they can lose. I sat up from couch and said thanks, you just jinxed it
What’s funny is just before our Dallas game the announcers said “Dallas has not lost a Home game in 2 straight seasons..since January of 2022. They are 16-0 in the last 16 at home”.
As soon as I heard them say that? I was thinking that was the death statement. If I was Jerry I would’ve paid them $1,000,000 each to never say anything until AFTER the season was over.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He may have pulled them too early but what did he gain by putting them back in. They went 3 and out just like the backups did. I'm speaking about the offense. I don't know about the defense but teams will almost always go prevent in that situation.
I would guess that watching the lead go from 32 to 16 points in a matter of minutes made MLF say "OK Jordan, get back in there, we don't want to risk a fumbled snap and maybe we can pick up a first down or two and put this one to bed."

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would guess that watching the lead go from 32 to 16 points in a matter of minutes made MLF say "OK Jordan, get back in there, we don't want to risk a fumbled snap and maybe we can pick up a first down or two and put this one to bed."
I'm sure thats exactly what he thought but I think the concern was unfounded. Who knows, maybe Clifford and Kraft would have hooked up on that last pass. IMO its never a good look to put your starters back in.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm sure thats exactly what he thought but I think the concern was unfounded. Who knows, maybe Clifford and Kraft would have hooked up on that last pass. IMO its never a good look to put your starters back in.
Nor is it a good look to pull them too quickly and suddenly a 32 point lead is down to 16 and there is actually a chance, as slight as it was, you find yourself in a tied game, having to put everyone back in.

Reaction score
Yes and who knows. Maybe the plan all along was to pull the Starters unless there was an emergency situation, like 2 quicker scores a Turnover fumble etc. which they did score quicker than anticipated. So they just got the reserves out and the Regulars back in. We were in such beatdown mode that I understand the philosophy. Might’ve waited 1 more drive and just pulled Jones and handed it off to Wilson though.

This was a great problem to have I guess. That in itself speaks to such a great game plan and execution.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes and who knows. Maybe the plan all along was to pull the Starters unless there was an emergency situation, like 2 quicker scores a Turnover fumble etc. which they did score quicker than anticipated. So they just got the reserves out and the Regulars back in. We were in such beatdown mode that I understand the philosophy. Might’ve waited 1 more drive and just pulled Jones and handed it off to Wilson though.

This was a great problem to have I guess. That in itself speaks to such a great game plan and execution.
I agree, with this 100%! If nothing else, a teaching moment as well.

I noticed last night that even with a big lead, the Bucs left Baker and the starters in. Perhaps Todd Bowles was watching the Packer game on Sunday and learned a lesson too.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See... THIS is your problem. NOBODY ever said this. But you take things people say, exaggerate them into something ridiculous and then argue with them based on your own exaggerations. And you expect to be taken seriously?

So, when you state: "Seriously? What games were you watching?" in response to someone saying that Adams was the only guy who got open, you were simply being inquisitive and not smarmy? Was the implication not intended to be, "Well if you actually watched the games then you would see that plenty of guys were getting open?" Or are only certain posters allowed to use sarcastic exaggeration? And if that's the case, then how do I get on the list?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
"Mina Kimes, is one of the most respected journalists in the sports world right now. The ESPN analyst has navigated through a male-dominated industry as an Asian-American woman, garnered the respect of peers and athletes, and become one of the company's most prized on-air personalities."

She totally nails my feelings about Rodgers.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care at all what Rodgers thinks about vaccines. I am however, interested in what Dan Le Batard is dressed up as. Who is he supposed to be, John McEnroe?
Okay, never mind, clearly he's dressed up as Richard Simmons. The next question is why? It's not Halloween.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Mina Kimes, is one of the most respected journalists in the sports world right now. The ESPN analyst has navigated through a male-dominated industry as an Asian-American woman, garnered the respect of peers and athletes, and become one of the company's most prized on-air personalities."

She totally nails my feelings about Rodgers.

None of this is journalism.
The actual journalism took place seven years ago.
The video is the journalist's opinion of what has transpired to the original subject over the past seven years.
In its own words, the linked article calls the video a "critique" (fancy word for opinion) of Rodgers.
Which makes the linked article a review of an opinion.
Also, not journalism.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
None of this is journalism.
The actual journalism took place seven years ago.
The video is the journalist's opinion of what has transpired to the original subject over the past seven years.
In its own words, the linked article calls the video a "critique" (fancy word for opinion) of Rodgers.
Which makes the linked article a review of an opinion.
Also, not journalism.

You had my attention until you attached THAT video. One that has left a thousand little paper cuts in my ear drums since... oh the mid-70's in the front seat of my Olds Cutlass Supreme...I can no longer ponder the spanking the 9'ers are probably gonna level on the Pack... now I have to think about my high school girlfriend hitting rewind over and over...("For gawd's sake girl... pay attention will ya?")

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You had my attention until you attached THAT video. One that has left a thousand little paper cuts in my ear drums since... oh the mid-70's in the front seat of my Olds Cutlass Supreme...I can no longer ponder the spanking the 9'ers are probably gonna level on the Pack... now I have to think about my high school girlfriend hitting rewind over and over...("For gawd's sake girl... pay attention will ya?")
Now the important question: Cassette? Or 8-track? Or both?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Now the important question: Cassette? Or 8-track? Or both?
Cassette, naturally. 8 track, was a real mood shatterer clicking to the next channel half way through a song. It was a Cutlass Supreme with a "genuine" imitation leather split bench seat no less.

Members online

Latest posts