How will this season be remembered?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok granted there are still 2 more games left, but we are officially eliminated from the playoffs. This imo has been a humbling season in more ways than one in truth. But going forward how will you all remember this season? In my opinion last season we saw the early signs of this, but this season was certainly the pinnacle of how we've had Rodgers cover this team as a bandaid, due to McCarthy and TT's conservative nature. Don't get me wrong, Rodgers plays a role in this as well. But the days of us ruling the NFCN with an iron grip has long past. Chicago's defense is here to stay, and Minnesota as long as they have Zimmerman, they'll always be a problem. I loathe the fact that we didn't just go in on getting Mack as he would've been the turning point in helping this defense turn around.

Now we have the draft to look forward to. Here's to next year. Hopefully we can turn this ship around.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a failure, as I view every single season without a championship title.

The difference between this year and almost every other year is that it was a train wreck, and not enjoyable.

I have thoroughly enjoyed many “failure” seasons. Other than week 1, nothing about this failure has been enjoyable

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be remembered as the product of Teddy destroying this team with years of bad drafts and an all but complete disregard for free agency, and Mark Murphy allowing it to happen.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll remember it as part of the life cycle of an NFL team. Thought we'd be more competitive than we were in the end, but always came up short. I am most disappointed in the guys that "should" be better, but other than that I figured this was a 2 year deal to be serious contenders again anyway.

Reaction score
that we are now a rebuliding team. rogers will never see another super bowl championship. packers fans will support there team but we are in for a few years of unbearable pain

Reaction score
It will be remembered as the product of Teddy destroying this team with years of bad drafts and an all but complete disregard for free agency, and Mark Murphy allowing it to happen.
And here's something to ponder, both these guys are still on the payroll.

Maybe it's time to look for any team to cheer on.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is TT’s chickens coming home to roost. Paying the price for backing into that Super Bowl years ago (maybe worth it.... any Super Bowl is hard to come by) .... and not having the balls to make a change after the collapse against Seattle. Green Bay hierarchy settlled for upper mediocrity and that’s were we’ve lived. Starting to fall off ftom that low standard now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is TT’s chickens coming home to roost. Paying the price for backing into that Super Bowl years ago (maybe worth it.... any Super Bowl is hard to come by) .... and not having the balls to make a change after the collapse against Seattle. Green Bay hierarchy settlled for upper mediocrity and that’s were we’ve lived. Starting to fall off ftom that low standard now.
That's one way to look at it

The other is, we had a young team that underwent a ton of injuries in the early part of the season, but had enough depth to overcome that. After a few weeks together they were playing like a team instead of a bunch of players trying to figure out where they fit in and were good enough to win it all.

Then in 2014 built a roster that could have, and should have won the super bowl. But there was about every strange circumstance that has occurred in a spattering of NFL games across a decade all seemed descend on the last 4 minutes of one single game against 1 single team who had dominated the previous 55 minutes. They probably figured they had the team to win it. They did, so there weren't a ton of changes to make. the roster was largely the same in 15 and 16 as well, but we saw certain position groups suffered devastating injuries and the roster we had was not the roster that was available on sundays. The past few drafts were poor on top of it.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always excuses to be made The results the same. Severe underschievment

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always excuses to be made The results the same. Severe underschievment
excuses? or things that actually happened that have a real impact on the game and a team? You don't agree the 2014 roster was good enough to win a super bowl? if that's the case, you'll never be satisfied.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a year of “what could go wrong,went wrong” From refs,to Crosby missing 5 kicks in a game,to a KR going rogue,then fumbling and a QB that has been way off mentally and physically most of the year. There were a lot of “forces of nature” that worked against us and we just couldn’t take one step forward without being pushed back two steps. I believe it is all for the good though,as it will help purge the team of the bad and we can move forward better than before.

D

Deleted member 6794

The 2018 season will be remember as a huge disappointment.

Disappointing for one, underachieving for two, this cant continue without a major shakeup in the works.....

The Packers have already gone through a major shakeup a they have changed their general manager and moved on from their head coach within the past 12 months.

H

HardRightEdge

Let me get back to you in 10 years and I'll tell you for sure.
It won't take 10 years, but point taken. What happens in the next few seasons will color how this season will be viewed.

At this point is it somewhat reminiscent of the 2005-2006 period. Though the events do not line up in sequence, that blended two year period and this season share disappointing performance (4-12 followed by 8-8) with a franchise QB in place, GM and HC turnover, and a turn toward free agency as a roster rebuilding tool.

Going into 2005, the Packers were over the cap and Thompson did not re-sign Rivera and cut Wahle and Sharper. While the current cap situation is not dire, we are likely to see some formerly core players shed this offseason as at the start of 2005.

While Thompson is known as a draft-and-develop guy, it's worth noting he was quite active in free agency in his first two seasons. In 2005, he signed Klemm and O'Dwyer to replace the departing guards, a couple of vet free agent safeties in Arturo Freeman and Earl Little, and a vet LB in Raynoch Thompson. Most of these guys did not survive final cut downs and none made it to 2006. While none of these signings were as splashy as the Graham signing, the two FA classes were similarly disappointing.

2006 was Thompson's most active free agent year in terms of player profiles and cost, signing Woodson, Pickett, Marquand Manual, DT Kendrick Allen (expected to compete as a starter who went to IR after 2 games), LB Ben Taylor (who was a starter with Cleveland the previous year but did not crack the lineup) and K Billy Cundiff (who was cut in favor of Raynor). Woodson was, of course, a home run, Pickett was a line drive double, and the rest were of no value in the rebuilding process.

We expect Gutekunst to be active in free agency again, from his own statements and with about $30 mil in cap to work with, more if Perry, Bulaga and/or Graham are released. Perhaps we should add Daniels to the list. It can't be all of them but we should expect one or more to be departing. I think it's fair to say Gutekunst needs that home run and solid double of Thompson's 2006 free agent forays, and more to the extent he parts ways with some of those vets.

Thompson's 2005 and 2006 drafts yielded players for the 2007 turnaround and in the rebuilding toward the 2010 Superbowl team. Besides Rodgers, there was Collins, Hawk, Jennings and Colledge. Though we would not expect a high pick QB in Gutekunst's second draft, there is a need to build on the last draft whereby in the 2020 season there is a critical mass of talent with youth and experience. This last draft appears to be a good starting point.

Last edited by a moderator:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How will this season be remembered?
lol...maybe as the best season of Rodgers final contract. hope not. he's only getting older though. next season's scheduled is tough, there's a whole new system/coaching staff/learning curve, to deal with. Rodgers cap hit really gets ridiculous in 2020 ($32.6m). maybe he'll do the Packers a favor and retire after 2021, when he's 39, and the cap hit is only $11m lol.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts