Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jim Leonhard is still available, apparently not interested in any recent Big Ten DC positions. Possibly awaiting a collegiate HC job or NFL DC position?
His name's been floating around for what seems like forever, maybe it's time someone pulled the trigger.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
His name's been floating around for what seems like forever, maybe it's time someone pulled the trigger.
He turned it down and Barry was the 2nd choice.. He wanted the HC job and figured staying as a DC would get it for him. Wife also wanted to stay in Madison area IIRC.

Catamount1971

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time to expect nothing at this point. You can’t scheme against the bad teams and lose. Get a new DC and finish the season. The GM has to realize this isn’t the correct fit for success so a successor needs to be identified. Really bad.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Barry was hanging his hat on that streak of 9 straight games holding opponents <= 24 points (not that that was a great number), but that streak is over now.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would be the argument for keeping him for the rest of the season as opposed to firing and going with an interim DC the rest of the way?

Draft position, maybe?

Catamount1971

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would be the argument for keeping him for the rest of the season as opposed to firing and going with an interim DC the rest of the way?

Draft position, maybe?
I think you need to fire immediately to show some kind of accountability. This is totally unacceptable after winning games that we thought were unwinnable on the schedule. The leadership is horrible.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you need to fire immediately to show some kind of accountability. This is totally unacceptable after winning games that we thought were unwinnable on the schedule. The leadership is horrible.
Oh I absolutely agree.

Love wasn’t perfect today but every single day you keep trotting out this same defense, you might as well just be standing on the sideline flipping the bird at Love and the rest of the offense. It’s downright insulting

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Appearances to the next DC just so they don't think they will be thrown under the bus if there are other reasons for the defense being bad. Injuries could be the scapegoat that saves JB's job.

Unless most DC's think JB is a clown and should be fired. Then you do it.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s got to be time to let Barry go. Baker had a perfect passer rating today. I’m tired of seeing linebackers cover wide receivers, our DBs playing 10 yards off on 3rd and 2, etc.

Catamount1971

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching the Browns bringing the wood to the Bears on defense. Night and day and the Packers HAVE spent a mountain of picks during the first round.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF hung on to Mo Drayton too long. Looks like he hasn't learned his lesson when it comes to cutting coordinators. All off season, we heard the Joe Barry finally got the message and was going to play a more aggressive defense. I don't see it. Same old soft, passive team.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I think Joe Barry has earned his ticket out of town, the roster is a joke. Too many undersized players that get pushed around, especially on the D line and secondary. The coaches need to be extra aggressive to make up for shortcomings. Just playing vanilla defense plays into the opposition's physical advantages.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I absolutely agree.

Love wasn’t perfect today but every single day you keep trotting out this same defense, you might as well just be standing on the sideline flipping the bird at Love and the rest of the offense. It’s downright insulting
We got torched on one side of the ball.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The players suck almost as much as Joe. Give it two years and you all will be calling for the next DCs head like clockwork

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They probably need some more #1 draft picks on defense.
No we need a DC who will put his players in the best possible position to be successful. I watched NFL Red Zone today cuz we didn't get our game down here. Other teams' D with worse records than we have are aggressive and get after people. Barry's philosophy seems to be passive - bend but don't break. How often do we force our opponent to punt? It is inexcusable to allow Mayfield to look like an All-Pro. My fear is MLF will keep Barry around in 2024.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Draft position, maybe?
Being stuck with the same retreads from McCarthys staff.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On sports talk radio Lafleur was asked about firing coordinators. Said it wasn't the time to think about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.