Fans won't retire their jerseys

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By JENNIFER L.W. FINK
Posted: May 1, 2008

My favorite shirt soon will be out of style.

The Green Bay Packers are retiring Brett Favre's jersey, and just like that, my No. 4 green-and-gold jersey is no longer up-to-the-minute. In a few short months, my beloved jersey will be retro, and I, who spent much of my youth listening to my father recall the Lombardi era, will be living in the Glory Years.

Favre, the recently retired Packers quarterback, returned football glory to Wisconsin. He helped win us a Super Bowl and reignited our passion for the pigskin. He played with a strange combination of precision and wild abandon, leading us to victory more often than not. And Favre, he of Wrangler jeans and fleece shirts, profoundly influenced Wisconsin fashion.

Look no farther than church on Sundays: During football season, especially, it's not uncommon to see at least one person - if not entire families - bearing No. 4 on their backs.

To some, the Favre jersey has become the unofficial Wisconsin uniform. Granted, Wisconsin isn't the most fashionable state in the union, but I'm willing to bet that far more Wisconsinites own a Favre jersey than this season's must-have - the classic trench. And trench coats even make sense in Wisconsin, a state of ever-changeable weather.

But then, fashion isn't really about sense. Fashion is about expressing your personality, projecting an image. Fashion sends a message to the world. Fashion is the outward reflection of your soul.

So in a (ahem) fashion, the ubiquity of the Favre jersey makes perfect sense. Favre, an extraordinary quarterback and an extraordinary man, changed Wisconsin. He brought hope to a state that had long suffered a so-so football team. He re-energized the Packers and introduced a new generation to the excitement of pro football.

In 16 seasons with Green Bay, Favre wove himself into the fabric of our lives.

One of our first family pictures, taken the day after we arrived home with our newborn son, features me in my Favre jersey, one of the few pieces of my regular wardrobe that still fit. A few weeks later, our son wore a Packers sleeper as he watched Favre play in his second Super Bowl. Favre was even present - via a poster hung in the room - when I learned that I'd never have a daughter; an ultrasound had just revealed that my last child, still in utero, was indeed a boy.

That child, now 2, can point and say, "Favre." My oldest, the baby who watched that Super Bowl from my husband's arms, left the room in tears when Favre announced his retirement in March.

My family is no different than many across Wisconsin. Favre is a part of our lives; our affection for him is no great secret. Wisconsin may be a state of buttoned-up emotions, but in the case of Favre, we happily wear our affection on our backs. Our green-and-gold jerseys are not just another shirt, pulled on with little thought. Our Favre jerseys are a silent tribute to a man we honor and respect.

So what will happen when the Packers retire No. 4? Will Wisconsinites cast aside their Favre jerseys and run out to buy new ones? Aaron Rodgers' maybe? Who knows? Favre's retirement and the subsequent retirement of his jersey could do more to stimulate the economy than our government stimulus checks.

I hope not, though. His number may be retired soon, but Favre will never go out of style.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Home games.....#4 Brett Favre jersey
Away games.....#50 A.J. Hawk jersey
I thought aout replacing the #4 but after so many years it just wouldn't feel right!!! After this coming year, I will be looking for a new Home jersey to wear, hopefully #12 will be a hot commodity by then!!!!
But #4 will never be completely retired, will bring it out for special occasions.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got 2 Favre jerseys.
I wear them everywhere. They're starting to look faded, so I'll probably buy a 3rd.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heck....i still wear my Ahman Green one. I don't stop wearing them because a player retires or goes to another team........i can't afford to trash them just because they arn't here anymore. So i wear them anyways.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want a Favre jersey to wear now that he's retired. I have a Packers jersey custom with my name on the back, an AJ Hawk jersey, I had a Favre jersey years ago (grade school) but it got mauled. I also have a Chris Chambers Dolphins jersey but that's Wisconsin pride right there.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And when Fav-re announces his un-retirement, the jerseys will be relevant again. :D

Just kidding...

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was Nitschke or Starr's jersey ever out of style? I think not! Class never goes out of style.

Now, a Viking jersey regardless of number? ALWAYS out of style! :p

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got the gold background #4 a couple years ago, but it's.... well, let's just say bright gold is not exactly my color. I almost never wear it, cause I look like a six foot bannanaman...

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heck....i still wear my Ahman Green one. I don't stop wearing them because a player retires or goes to another team........i can't afford to trash them just because they arn't here anymore. So i wear them anyways.

Unfortunately, the letters and numbers on my Sterling Sharpe look horrible so I rarely wear that one any more.

But I'd gladly wear an Ahman Green if I had one.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was Nitschke or Starr's jersey ever out of style? I think not! Class never goes out of style.

Now, a Viking jersey regardless of number? ALWAYS out of style! :p

Pbbfffft.

The toughest decision for me come September 8 will be should I wear my AD away jersey, or my Jared Allen home jersey. ;D

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, I have a Sharper jersey if anyone wants to borrow it for a game. Of course, it is purple...

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, I have a Sharper jersey if anyone wants to borrow it for a game. Of course, it is purple...

I see you are thinking clearly, forgoing any attempts to sell the jersey. Honestly, you're not going to have any better luck trying to give it away.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

I see you are thinking clearly, forgoing any attempts to sell the jersey. Honestly, you're not going to have any better luck trying to give it away.

LOL. Touche.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heather has retired her #4 jersey. However, as it gets closer to training camp and pre-season "something might happen" :wink:

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember at the Packer family night last season they raffled off the red jersey that Favre wore. That was the first time I've ever prayed in my life...

Also, pack-in-black, if you not wearing the jersey anymore means you don't want it you have a potential buyer sitting at his computer right now.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well for those of you retiring your jerseys, you can pick up a Jordy Nelson or Brian Brohm one off the proshop site!

OP
OP
H

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually want to frame my #4 Jersey, I dont want nothing to happen to it, its the only one that I have. :) But Ed is right I may take it out of hiding once the season starts. :)

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And when Fav-re announces his un-retirement, the jerseys will be relevant again. :D

Just kidding...

:lol:

I wear my Favre jersey proudly with my loose fitting Diesel jeans. I don't give a damn what the local Giants fans say.

I still wear my Mark Messier hockey jersey. I was wearing it during his temporary stint in Vancouver. People would come up to me, (like they're really telling me some news) "Messier's a Canuck now!" I said, "really? I didn't know!" I'm waiting for those same wise arses to come up to me and say, "You know, Favre's retired!"

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I usually wear whatever I happen to pull out of my closet that morning. Sometimes the kids, and even the staff, laugh at me and ask "who dresses you?" I wear several versions of #4 jersey at school and elsewhere. I'm going to keep wearing them until they fall apart...or I do.

And.....I have an old Packer jersey from the 60's. Who wore #33 back in those days? This is a real jersey my Dad picked up on one of his calls in Green Bay. Anyone know whose jersey I have?

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I usually wear whatever I happen to pull out of my closet that morning. Sometimes the kids, and even the staff, laugh at me and ask "who dresses you?" I wear several versions of #4 jersey at school and elsewhere. I'm going to keep wearing them until they fall apart...or I do.

And.....I have an old Packer jersey from the 60's. Who wore #33 back in those days? This is a real jersey my Dad picked up on one of his calls in Green Bay. Anyone know whose jersey I have?
You can look up old jersey numbers on packers.com:

http://www.packers.com/history/record_book/results_and_rosters/all_time_jersey_numbers/?number=33