Fan Influence

Reaction score
When a loosing team is playing lousy football, 'How Important are the Fans" when trying to turn a team around and pressure a team to win ?

Do they take our criticisms seriously and feel the heat to act, or do they ignore us fans completely?

I see in the local rag today a 7 yr old boy from Texas wrote Jerry Jones a letter and told him
he thought the Cowboys suck.

Reaction score
I think it is an organization by organization basis. Teams that "know their identity" even in losing seasons I think tend not to listen to the fans opinions as much. I think of the Pats, Steelers, and Packers just to name a few. But then there are teams who struggle with knowing who they are and what they want to be and allow fans opinions to sway them. I think of the Browns, Jaguars, and Bills just to name a few. In the Browns case it was a good thing since you knew what you had in Tyrod and what you saw was all he had. Fans called for Baker, and if I was a Browns fan, Id be happy Baker is in. The Pats always cut players and the fans and media often think they shouldn't have but it works every time. Its good and bad to listen to fans.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
Another question we can leave for another tread is "How much influence the sports media has on the fans or teams broadcasting their views.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When a loosing team is playing lousy football, 'How Important are the Fans" when trying to turn a team around and pressure a team to win ?

Do they take our criticisms seriously and feel the heat to act, or do they ignore us fans completely?

I see in the local rag today a 7 yr old boy from Texas wrote Jerry Jones a letter and told him
he thought the Cowboys suck.
You can cheer all you want but with mm and his coaching crew of flunkies it's not going to matter.

P.s M&M's schemes are weak and outdated.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it matters a whole lot. I'm not sure I would want leadership that was too easily swayed by mob mentality. The extremes are usually the most vocal and therefore the most likely to be heard and I'm not sure extreme is the way to go.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When can we stop bashing MM, there's other pieces to this losing puzzle.
Ok your right there are other threads for that.. I dont think the fans showing more support will help motivate a team to play better. The players and coaches have plenty of reasons to want to win and play good. The fans are not on top of that list.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However, should the fans get REALLY fed up and stop attending, watching, and buying...

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
However, should the fans get REALLY fed up and stop attending, watching, and buying...

I doubt that will never happen to any NFL team.

Case in point the Detroit Lions or Cleveland Browns.
Years back they all were losing teams and still their fans payed $$$$$$ every week to attend games win or lose.
Imagine the price of season tickets for box seats home games to watch the Lions go 1-15 year after year

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt that will never happen to any NFL team.

Case in point the Detroit Lions or Cleveland Browns.
Years back they all were losing teams and still their fans payed $$$$$$ every week to attend games win or lose.
Imagine the price of season tickets for box seats home games to watch the Lions go 1-15 year after year
tell that to the Chargers lol.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no reason for any good franchise to let fans affect daily decisions but they have to be careful not losing a significant portion of their revenue because of supporters getting annoyed about the general direction the team is headed into.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
It just means fans that except loosing teams seem to stay in limbo forever.
Not the case with the Dallas Cowboys, their losers and still obnoxious.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Browns haven't been good since the Schottenheimer years of the 80s, with the exception of a few years here and there and their fans are still loyal. Some might not believe it but there are some franchises that don't have winning as their top priority, and you could make the argument that a couple of the cornerstone franchises in the NFL fit that description. What are Jerry Jones' priorities in Dallas? He continues to keep Garrett on as head coach, he is always looking for ways to make the organization more and more valuable he feverishly keeps the team in the headlines. He even said as much about it, saying more or less that they might not win but at least their ratings are always high. And yes, as much as some here will deny it or may not like to hear it, you wonder if winning is a top priority right here in Green Bay. It's been said here that Mark Murphy's job is to make the organization profitable, and considering how painstakingly long it takes to make changes in the coaching staff and front office, the Packers could fit that bill despite selling out every game for decades.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that thinking these guys don’t care about winning is just an exercise in buffoonery :)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Browns haven't been good since the Schottenheimer years of the 80s, with the exception of a few years here and there and their fans are still loyal. Some might not believe it but there are some franchises that don't have winning as their top priority, and you could make the argument that a couple of the cornerstone franchises in the NFL fit that description. What are Jerry Jones' priorities in Dallas? He continues to keep Garrett on as head coach, he is always looking for ways to make the organization more and more valuable he feverishly keeps the team in the headlines. He even said as much about it, saying more or less that they might not win but at least their ratings are always high. And yes, as much as some here will deny it or may not like to hear it, you wonder if winning is a top priority right here in Green Bay. It's been said here that Mark Murphy's job is to make the organization profitable, and considering how painstakingly long it takes to make changes in the coaching staff and front office, the Packers could fit that bill despite selling out every game for decades.

I disagree with the sentiment that some are just happy to be profitable. If all that matters is profit think of how much more profitable they would be if they were winning.

You mention Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett. How much would it cost Jones to fire Garrett and replace him with someone who could do better a few million dollars. That would be made up in a season if they started winning playoff games. I don't think its saving money that is keeping Jason Garrett in place. The comment that they may not be winning but at least they are profitable does not mean that profits are all that he cares about. All it says is that if we are losing it is better to be profitable while doing it than losing money and I wouldn't disagree. It doesn't mean he isn't trying to get better. You obviously think Garrett is holding the cowboys back and I don't disagree with you but I think if JJ felt he was the reason he would be gone. I think it is the same with any owner.

You mention Mark Murphy and the Packers and say "It's been said here" Lots of things have been said here but that doesn't make them right. You don't think the Packers, or any team for that matter, would make a lot more money if they were winning games like the Patriots. You don't think every team wants to win games like the Patriots. Unfortunately, spending more money won't always bring you more wins.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said winning was not important to some teams, I said it may not be their #1 priority, and I stand by that statement.

Members online