ex packers from last year

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not surprising on the offensive front. The receivers were all below average - average at best last year and hanging around because they were Rodgers guys. Jets have a $44M Albatross hanging around their neck with Lazard.

Reaction score
Not surprising on the offensive front. The receivers were all below average - average at best last year and hanging around because they were Rodgers guys. Jets have a $44M Albatross hanging around their neck with Lazard.
Yes. Once again it’s more evidence that supports that Rodgers regularly has more an impact making players around him better.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. Once again it’s more evidence that supports that Rodgers regularly has more an impact making players around him better.
But he cant make them good enough
And how good did he really make them?
Cobb and Lewis are both way way past their prime. All 4 of those guys are playing with HORRIBLE QBs. Was their output much better last year? I mean Cobb and Lazard have had a QB who basically just got CUT throwing at them this year. Maybe the last 3 or 4 years Davante was making Rodgers better (but still not good enough in big games). LOL

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
With Musgrave out, most likely for the season, I'd take Lazard back and line him up as a TE. His blocking is phenomenal for a receiver. The $10m guarantee for next season makes this undoable.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

LOL two of those it isn't Rodgers influence, its the fact they past their prime years about four or five ago LOL

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The jets wanted Rodgers so bad they would have signed his grandparents if he wanted them to!
Good to see Gutey was right to let these guys go.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The jets wanted Rodgers so bad they would have signed his grandparents if he wanted them to!
Good to see Gutey was right to let these guys go.

When Gute's biggest misstep is Barnes ILB - out of all the guys we said bye to that's impressive. Now I do believe Amos is still a starting level Safety...bad luck his way.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Cobb and Lewis are both way way past their prime. All 4 of those guys are playing with HORRIBLE QBs. Was their output much better last year? I mean Cobb and Lazard have had a QB who basically just got CUT throwing at them this year. Maybe the last 3 or 4 years Davante was making Rodgers better (but still not good enough in big games). LOL
Lewis would be very nice to have imo. We've really missed his great blocking skill.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

We were 4-8 on this date one year ago.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard and Lewis were big keys to our running game over the past few years. Our offensive line doesn't fire off the ball as they did in the past, but they had incredible support on the edges as well. L&L proved their worth every game with Green Bay, just not on the stat sheet.

I always liked Barnes but he could never be an impactful starter for us. He is a great rotational guy and backup. He hasn't played much for Arizona but now with an injury to their starter, they will see what Barnes can do full time.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
How many will see the playoffs this year? Even Micah Hyde and Douglas are on a 6-6 team.
Imo, we'd have a significantly better shot at making the playoffs if we'd had Lewis playing 15-25 snaps a game all year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, would the Packers passing game be better this season with a healthy Rodgers? I don't think so. Rodgers seemed to not trust rookies. By not throwing to them, they develop more slowly. So I think our passing game is performing better with Love and the young guys.

Makes me wonder. I saw a post chastising Gute for not getting this young receiver talent while Rodgers was here. Well, did our scouts suddenly get better or was lack of WR development system related? Maybe OTAs and offseason workouts matter in developing WRs.

I think, all things being equal: Reed, Doubs, Watson, and Wicks are all better than Cobb. I think Lazard is as good or better than those 4. However, they all have a higher ceiling than Lazard and will surpass Lazards apex as a receiver in a year or two.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe both sides of the coin (and a third side lol )hold truth:

- They didn't provide this much WR talent to Rodgers, but only of late. However, to be fair two of the apparent hits (Wicks and Doubs) are not premium draft equity use.
- It was tougher for a WR to develop in the Rodgers era given Rodgers saw his window as now and patience perhaps wasn't a strong suit of his with youngins.
- I also throw a third thing in...development of WRs was equally as tough when you had Davante around, just because of HOW FREAKING BETTER he was than all.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, would the Packers passing game be better this season with a healthy Rodgers? I don't think so. Rodgers seemed to not trust rookies. By not throwing to them, they develop more slowly. So I think our passing game is performing better with Love and the young guys.

Makes me wonder. I saw a post chastising Gute for not getting this young receiver talent while Rodgers was here. Well, did our scouts suddenly get better or was lack of WR development system related? Maybe OTAs and offseason workouts matter in developing WRs.

I think, all things being equal: Reed, Doubs, Watson, and Wicks are all better than Cobb. I think Lazard is as good or better than those 4. However, they all have a higher ceiling than Lazard and will surpass Lazards apex as a receiver in a year or two.
I am pretty sure Rodgers would have thrown to this group of young receivers this year. Ya know, since they are the only options. I am not saying he would have had better results. Did the scouts get better. Hard to tell since Gute did not draft WRs early until recently. The one he did draft (Amari) was a bust. The later round recent guys seem to be better. Some say because Love is more willing to throw to them, some might give credit to the scouts. IMO. Who knows?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to believe that Rodger's demeanor/demands had to play somewhat how the Packers drafted offensive skill positions later in his career. Why get a new toy if that toy isn't going to be played with because of personal issues. I get the impression there were probably a whole slew of boxes that needed to be checked so the receiver meshed with Rodgers. My guess is that Amari's closeness to Cobb probably had something to do with him being drafted.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am pretty sure Rodgers would have thrown to this group of young receivers this year. Ya know, since they are the only options. I am not saying he would have had better results. Did the scouts get better. Hard to tell since Gute did not draft WRs early until recently. The one he did draft (Amari) was a bust. The later round recent guys seem to be better. Some say because Love is more willing to throw to them, some might give credit to the scouts. IMO. Who knows?
I suspect if AR had stayed, we would have resigned Lazard and Lewis and kept Cobb. Maybe Watson and Doubs would be more utilized. Our draft would have looked different, can't have 10 WRs on the roster.

The only rookie WR that AR used significantly was Jennings. So he wasn't opposed to it, or maybe that was just early in his career.