Do Packer Forum members/fans want AR to leave?

Reaction score
I agree. We're not favored to get a playoff spot, but I wouldn't be shocked if we slipped in. Maybe that's 30 years of stellar quarterback play talking, but if Love can just manage the game well I think we've got a shot.
I can see wildcard just as easily as 5 Wins imo. Another key area that could be the difference on which side of the fence we fall in 2023 is QB training.
Matt LaFleur wanted Tom Clements and I believe he’s as close to a QB whisperer as you can get. MLF himself is a formidable QB Coach. Adding Clements was a very underrated move and imo a key reason Jordan made a leap @ Philly. Opponents or Doubters of our QB can assert that Jordan faced just a prevent D, garbage time if you will. However, this isn’t college ball anymore. That wasn’t the Mountain West Conference he shredded, those were grown men at the top of their game. Anyone inferring (not you) that the The Eagles purposely let Jordan slice n dice? No way Jose. that game was not out of reach until the closing drive.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Much of this season will be determined by our Defense. If we come out like the 2022 NY Jets all stingy on D? Even a pedestrian Offense can win a bunch of games.
I don't expect much out of the offense this year. Young receiving group and "rookie" QB. Which if that is the case, the defense better be in really good condition, because I see them as having to be on the field more than the offense. I don't care how good your defense is, if they get worn down and emotionally beaten (offense isn't doing much to win games), it could be a long season.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not so sure about saying “definitely” They’ve got the over/under at 7.5 Wins, so that’s not far removed from squeaking into a Wild card.
We'll probably have a better idea by week 8 or so. If we can hang around .500 through 1/2 season (4-4 etc) we’ve got a decent shot at ~9 Wins. Conversely, if we fall behind at 2-6 or even 3-5 etc? It’s going to be a long season, but a fun 2024 draft :tup:

That’s amazing and I wouldn’t have thought that. I guess we did have quite a few weapons rolled over from Favre days and a much more proven receiving game, plus a young QB with a great mind and Strong arm.
We should look at the scores in those games. We did win some blowouts. But lost some shootouts like in Pittsburgh and in Arizona in 2009. 2 wins over the 0-16 Lions in 2008. Crushing victory over the first Bears game in 2008 and a win over Peyton Manning at Lambeau. Recall the transition to the Capers defense.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely. Contrary to the obvious Media story line about our QB exchange, Much of this season will be determined by our Defense. If we come out like the 2022 NY Jets all stingy on D? Even a pedestrian Offense can win a bunch of games.
If Van Ness is the Next TJ Watt impact player or 1 of our 2 Rookie DT’s look solid, we should have a good chance at cracking a top 10 Defense this year. If not it will be a repeat middling D and result in 10+ losses.
We can hope for some ugly wins. But I am not optimistic. Right now we are all hoping for pleasant surprises. That includes me.

Reaction score
We can hope for some ugly wins. But I am not optimistic. Right now we are all hoping for pleasant surprises. That includes me.
Absolutely. I think the 7.5 Wins over/under is a pretty fair guess. Actually I’d be completely good with 7 Wins and an ascending QB as the season unfolds. Our schedule really isn’t very daunting for a 1st year starter.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely. I think the 7.5 Wins over/under is a pretty fair guess. Actually I’d be completely good with 7 Wins and an ascending QB as the season unfolds. Our schedule really isn’t very daunting for a 1st year starter.
I recall Andy Reid's first season in KC. He took over a weak team. But he orchestrated good weekly game plans. He focused on the
opponent for each week regardless of their records. He eked out a number of nail biter victories. The team developed confidence and consistency.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. We're not favored to get a playoff spot, but I wouldn't be shocked if we slipped in. Maybe that's 30 years of stellar quarterback play talking, but if Love can just manage the game well I think we've got a shot.
If Love can avoid mistakes and the talent plays to its ability on paper, and if the WR and TE groups outperform…. A lotta ifs but there’s always hope. I don’t see this as a rebuild, but there are a lotta guys on O who need to play together quickly. Should be fun…….

D

Deleted member 6794

I’m not so sure about saying “definitely” They’ve got the over/under at 7.5 Wins, so that’s not far removed from squeaking into a Wild card.
We'll probably have a better idea by week 8 or so. If we can hang around .500 through 1/2 season (4-4 etc) we’ve got a decent shot at ~9 Wins. Conversely, if we fall behind at 2-6 or even 3-5 etc? It’s going to be a long season, but a fun 2024 draft :tup:

I honestly don't believe the Packers stand any chance of making the playoffs this season. I'm not taking a shot at Love with that statement at all but believe the receiving corps is too young and inexperienced for the offense to succeed. In addition I don't have any trust in Barry being able to coordinate a defense performing up to their potential.

Opponents or Doubters of our QB can assert that Jordan faced just a prevent D, garbage time if you will. However, this isn’t college ball anymore. That wasn’t the Mountain West Conference he shredded, those were grown men at the top of their game. Anyone inferring (not you) that the The Eagles purposely let Jordan slice n dice? No way Jose. that game was not out of reach until the closing drive.

Of course the Eagles didn't purposely let Love put up impressive numbers. But I have seen the Packers prevent defense making look opposing quarterbacks elite too often for me to put too much stock into his performance that day.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Opponents or Doubters of our QB can assert that Jordan faced just a prevent D, garbage time if you will. However, this isn’t college ball anymore. That wasn’t the Mountain West Conference he shredded, those were grown men at the top of their game. Anyone inferring (not you) that the The Eagles purposely let Jordan slice n dice? No way Jose. that game was not out of reach until the closing drive.

Of course the Eagles didn't purposely let Love put up impressive numbers. But I have seen the Packers prevent defense making look opposing quarterbacks elite too often for me to put too much stock into his performance that day.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
I remember the day that Don Horn lit it up against the Lions, many years ago. It was a one time thing. A lot of people thought he was going to be the greatest Packer QB that ever took the field, as soon as he got is chance as #1.

Until someone proves it, I'm always skeptical.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agree.

While it was nice to see Jordan Love go out and do some nice things against the Eagles, I view it as this. A team is at home, dominating another team, they knock their star QB out of the game in the 4th Q, up 37-23. The Eagles defense considers the game won and now face a QB, they probably did very little preparation on. Not to take anything away from Love, but the circumstances for each game will be much different in 2023. Maybe in the early going, he will have a slight advantage of being somewhat unknown for opposing DC's to scheme against, but that won't last long.

I think what the Eagles game did for me, was simply a confirmation that Love was capable. How capable? I guess we find out this fall.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree.

While it was nice to see Jordan Love go out and do some nice things against the Eagles, I view it as this. A team is at home, dominating another team, they knock their star QB out of the game in the 4th Q, up 37-23. The Eagles defense considers the game won and now face a QB, they probably did very little preparation on. Not to take anything away from Love, but the circumstances for each game will be much different in 2023. Maybe in the early going, he will have a slight advantage of being somewhat unknown for opposing DC's to scheme against, but that won't last long.

I think what the Eagles game did for me, was simply a confirmation that Love was capable. How capable? I guess we find out this fall.
Philly game showed his accuracy. I don't know if the defense was slacking. But up until that game people said he wasn't accurate. And he proved he was

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My recollection of that game was that Love was facing mostly a prevent defense when he came in. But I also thought he was throwing the ball with more authority and accuracy than Rodgers was that game. That could have had something to do with the receivers being able to get open against that defense though. We'll see.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
My recollection of that game was that Love was facing mostly a prevent defense when he came in. But I also thought he was throwing the ball with more authority and accuracy than Rodgers was that game. That could have had something to do with the receivers being able to get open against that defense though. We'll see.

Love threw where he needed to..

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philly game showed his accuracy. I don't know if the defense was slacking. But up until that game people said he wasn't accurate. And he proved he was
I think the best way to describe it is that he could be an accurate passer. One game doesn't tell the entire story of his skills. That's what happened at Wisconsin, and the Badgers ended up with a clinker at QB. He had a great game against Illinois, and everyone thought that was who he probably was. That includes me. After that, he proceeded to stink up the field.

So, I am skeptical.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the best way to describe it is that he could be an accurate passer. One game doesn't tell the entire story of his skills. That's what happened at Wisconsin, and the Badgers ended up with a clinker at QB. He had a great game against Illinois, and everyone thought that was who he probably was. That includes me. After that, he proceeded to stink up the field.

So, I am skeptical.
Yup and we see it all the time in the preseason, as well as in the regular season, when a back-up QB comes in and lights it up. Hell, we see it once in awhile against the Packers defense, even 3rd stringers have torn them apart. Then we have Matt Flynn, that made a name for himself and a fortune off of what 1-2 games (Patriots and Lions).

Until a QB becomes consistently good, from game to game (regular season), I don't get too excited about them. To further complicate it, Love has his work cut out for him. This isn't an offense loaded with proven talented (known) like what Rodgers had in 2008. I'm prepared to see a lot of growing pains from Love and his entire receiving group.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
I remember the day that Don Horn lit it up against the Lions, many years ago. It was a one time thing. A lot of people thought he was going to be the greatest Packer QB that ever took the field, as soon as he got is chance as #1.

Until someone proves it, I'm always skeptical.
Niw that's a blast from the past! Didn't Horn pass for over 400 yards in the last game of the season against the Cardinals in a rout. Something like 42-10.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Niw that's a blast from the past! Didn't Horn pass for over 400 yards in the last game of the season against the Cardinals in a rout. Something like 42-10.

It was an amazing game. They took him out early in the 4th quarter to let a guy get some playing time, who was on the bench. It could have been a bigger day.

One of his problems was injuries. Particularly knee injuries. After he left GB, he had trouble staying on the field because of them. It ended any hopes he had of being a regular starter. But, it was probably never in the cards anyhow. He too was a wide open pro offense type player out of college, and the Packer system was a strictly regimented system. He did pretty good in it considering his background.
DateOppAttCmpPctYdsTDIntLgRateResult
1.12/21/69vs. St. Louis312271.041051--139.4W, 45-28

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I felt the Eagles knew they had the game won even before Rodgers went out. They were looking to close up shop.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if I out loud say or type our current QBs name do I get banned? Lol! Is it safe to come out of my cave?

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I felt the Eagles knew they had the game won even before Rodgers went out. They were looking to close up shop.
I agree but think he should get credit where credit is due. Overall he looked noticeably better in that appearance than he had in the past (my opinion only). I thought he looked more confident, more composed, and had stronger and better looking passes in general. The confidence/composure thing is a big plus.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree but think he should get credit where credit is due. Overall he looked noticeably better in that appearance than he had in the past (my opinion only). I thought he looked more confident, more composed, and had stronger and better looking passes in general. The confidence/composure thing is a big plus.
No doubt, but I think some of us are just saying "look at it for what it was". It was 1 quarter of Football, in a game that may have been viewed by the opponent as over and against an opponent that may not have done much scouting or prep work on Love.

Love has a tall ladder to climb. Each rung he goes up, he will be nearer to the top of what I consider to be at least a 40 rung ladder. Right now, I only consider him a few rungs up. :) He may climb a few at a time and then slide back down one, if by the end of the season he is 10 or so rungs up, that's a good start. Packer fans expecting him to just run up that ladder are going to be very disappointed.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, now he knows the job is his. And no one is looking over his shoulder. He also knows he is playing in the line of succession and is the QB of the Green Bay Packers.