Dear OLine, please keep James Harrison away from Aaron Rodgers

BlackNGold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Umm.. not whining there cheese head.

My point is that they always call the hits on Harrison, while others constantly get away with the same hits. The hits on Cribbs and Massaqui (spelling?) were helmet to helmet, but when your going full speed and the guy falls down it's not easy to change the direction of your body that quickly.. have you ever played football in full pads and helmet? He did not mean to give the guy a concussion, but of course he wants to hurt the guy. He is a linebacker for Christ's sake!

The point is that he's been targeted by the league. Should he make a little contact with the helmet they are quick to throw the flag. I'm not whining about it, in fact I like that Harrison has not changed his style of play. I'll take the 15 yards!

Did I say anything about Ngata getting suspended? I believe he was fined too. I just think it's ridiculous. I seriously doubt that Ngata was aiming for his nose on the hit. It's football and it happens, but don't target one player and label him dirty when it happens around the league. THIS IS FOOTBALL DAMNIT, ITS SUPPOSED TO BE BLOODY!

You guys are so quick to throw the allegations on Ben out there too! So classy! There are players on your team who have had the same allegations, and others like steriods. They were cleared of the charges just as Ben was. If another golddigger accused the 8 or so players that were alleged to be involved would you convict them so easily?

Have you seen the evidence that Ben committed a crime? Sure, ******** a college chick in a night club bathroom isn't the smartest thing to do, but a ****** he is not. When women see that the multi million dollar quarterback don't want nothing to do with them 10 minutes afterwards they are quick to call foul. The only thing our quarterback is guilty of is bad judgement.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

My point is that they always call the hits on Harrison, while others constantly get away with the same hits. The hits on Cribbs and Massaqui (spelling?) were helmet to helmet, but when your going full speed and the guy falls down it's not easy to change the direction of your body that quickly.. have you ever played football in full pads and helmet? He did not mean to give the guy a concussion, but of course he wants to hurt the guy. He is a linebacker for Christ's sake!

The point is that he's been targeted by the league. Should he make a little contact with the helmet they are quick to throw the flag. I'm not whining about it, in fact I like that Harrison has not changed his style of play. I'll take the 15 yards!

Did I say anything about Ngata getting suspended? I believe he was fined too. I just think it's ridiculous. I seriously doubt that Ngata was aiming for his nose on the hit. It's football and it happens, but don't target one player and label him dirty when it happens around the league. THIS IS FOOTBALL DAMNIT, ITS SUPPOSED TO BE BLOODY!

You guys are so quick to throw the allegations on Ben out there too! So classy! There are players on your team who have had the same allegations, and others like steriods. They were cleared of the charges just as Ben was. If another golddigger accused the 8 or so players that were alleged to be involved would you convict them so easily?

Have you seen the evidence that Ben committed a crime? Sure, ******** a college chick in a night club bathroom isn't the smartest thing to do, but a ****** he is not. When women see that the multi million dollar quarterback don't want nothing to do with them 10 minutes afterwards they are quick to call foul. The only thing our quarterback is guilty of is bad judgement.

Bad judgment? In that case Big Ben just needs to be careful where he puts his Little Ben.

packman73

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They don't "always" call the hits on Harrison. Just as they don't "always" call the hits on other players. Last time I checked, tackling was done with your arms, not your head.

As to Big Ben...hopefully he uses his excellent "judgement" in the game.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Please keep the smack talk in the smack forum. I don't want to have to move the thread to smack as I think it's legitimate if we can stay focused on talking football. Some of the comments are definitely moving into smack on both sides.

*Smack talk refers to inflammatory comments made by a person or team in order to insult, anger, or annoy opponents*

BlackNGold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He does need to be more careful where he puts Little Ben, I totally agree. I think he's been humbled by the experience. He was really close to being run out of Pittsburgh this offseason!

On the field though the man is a genius! ;-)

Last time I checked, tackling was done with your arms, not your head.

And last time I checked there is not a rule that says you can only tackle with your arms.

Hitting with the helmet is fine, but if the player is considered "defenseless" then you can't lead with the helmet. That is the rule as I know it. Is a player really defenseless when they are wearing full pads. They used to play this game without helmets! I say get rid of the dumb rule anyways. There is to much grey area. There have been times with Harrison where he has lead with his shoulder but the helmets still made contact and he was flagged. It makes me sick!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a certain gray area with that rule. That's why I thought the league needs to be consistent and clear about these rules. It led to a lot of confusion. Players didn't know what would be penalized and what would not be. Harrison, (not to pick on him, he is a tremendously talented player and is a large part of the reason why the Steelers D has endured so much success), is one of the reasons they had to implement the rule in the first place. Wasn't he also one of the ones who whined the most about the rule and even threatened to quit because of it. I recall hearing of that not long after the rule went into effect but I'm not sure if it was Harrison or not.

The league seems serious about this rule. If a player continues to violate it, say accumulate a certain quota of violations, is it unreasonable for the league to consider expulsion? I say this as a passionate fan of football, regardless of what team he plays for. I'd hate to see a good player have to miss games due to suspensions or worse. The football fan in me appreciates the high quality of play Harrison brings to the game, so therefore I wish he'd knock that off.

packman73

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a certain gray area with that rule. That's why I thought the league needs to be consistent and clear about these rules. It led to a lot of confusion. Players didn't know what would be penalized and what would not be. Harrison, not to pick on him, he is a tremendously talented player and is a large part of the reason why the Steelers D has endured so much success, is one of the reasons they had to implement the rule in the first place. Wasn't he also one of the ones who whined the most about the rule and even threatened to quit because of it. I recall hearing of that not long after the rule went into effect but I'm not sure if it was Harrison or not.

The league seems serious about this rule. If a player continues to violate it, say accumulate a certain quota of violations, is it unreasonable for the league to consider expulsion? I say this as a passionate fan of football, regardless of what team he plays for. I'd had to see a good player have to miss games due to suspensions for worse. The football fan in me appreciates the high quality of play Harrison brings to the game, so therefore I wish he'd knock that off.

Harrison actually took the time to meet with Goodell about his hits and he walked away from the meeting learning nothing new. The refs are allowed to interpret as they see fit. Granted, film is reviewed after the games and fines handed out. I think Harrison making it a bigger issue and calling out the league on it has made him a bigger target.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Take a look at Packers vs Eagles. There's a play Nick Collins LAYS DOWN THE WOOD on the Eagles' receiver, and the guy drops the ball. But he does so with his forearm.

It's about knowing how to tackle. You can't lead with your helmet anymore.

About Packers being accused, we've heard about Chmura a lot, and a lot of Packers fans can't stand the guy. And he even got acquitted. We have Underwood, a married guy with a little child, banging 2 chicks and being accused of ****.

But we have nothing like Ben. It's something that will be there for him for the rest of his life, and the fans will have to deal with it. No use pretending it didn't happen, because it did.

If it was consensual or not, it's another issue, but he should've never been in that position in the first place.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rogers has practiced against a great 3/4 defense all year, so those who think he'll be confused by the Steelers are mistaken.

I think our defense will do fine against the Steelers.

? I dont get your reasoning. Rodgers practices against a great 3/4 D all year so he shouldnt have a problem but when Ben practices against a great 3/4 D its different?

And I am not trying to be a spelling **** but its Rodgers, with a D, you have been spelling it "Rogers" a couple times so I assume its not on accident.

BlackNGold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About Packers being accused, we've heard about Chmura a lot, and a lot of Packers fans can't stand the guy. And he even got acquitted. We have Underwood, a married guy with a little child, banging 2 chicks and being accused of ****.

But we have nothing like Ben. It's something that will be there for him for the rest of his life, and the fans will have to deal with it. No use pretending it didn't happen, because it did.

If it was consensual or not, it's another issue, but he should've never been in that position in the first place.

Every Steelers fan will agree with you that Ben made some stupid decisions that night. Your right he should not have been in that position. But that does not make him a ******. Both cases were thrown out because, first of all Andrea McNulty is a nutjob. The first case was so bogus I can't believe people even consider it a possibility that she was *****. The second one was where a lot of people lost respect for Ben. He did admit to having ****** contact with the woman which stopped short of ***********. The accuser has so many different sides to her story, and no DNA evidence. In one interview she says that she is forced into the bathroom, in another she says that she invited him into the stall when she had to pee. She also can't remember what position she supposedly had non-consentual sex in, but remembers everything up the point it supposedly happened. Very strange huh?

I'm so tired of the ****** comments. Ben was stupid that night, no doubt. I believe he drinks to much in the offseason and has only recently gotten out of his college, party boy, mentality. I do not believe that he is a ******. He may have let the fame get to his head. He won a Super Bowl at a very young age, was signed to a large contract, etc.

This is the last I hope to speak of it on this forum. This thread was about Harrison anyways, it's a shame that people have to find any opportunity to call this man a ******. This is the same man who was fined by the NFL in his rookie season for writing "PFJ" (playing for Jesus) on his armbands and shoes. I'm not saying he is a model chrisitian, but a ******, I fully believe in my heart that he is not.

Hopefully we can get back on subject now!

Go Steelers!

Blounts Iron City

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every Steelers fan will agree with you that Ben made some stupid decisions that night. Your right he should not have been in that position. But that does not make him a ******. Both cases were thrown out because, first of all Andrea McNulty is a nutjob. The first case was so bogus I can't believe people even consider it a possibility that she was *****. The second one was where a lot of people lost respect for Ben. He did admit to having ****** contact with the woman which stopped short of ***********. The accuser has so many different sides to her story, and no DNA evidence. In one interview she says that she is forced into the bathroom, in another she says that she invited him into the stall when she had to pee. She also can't remember what position she supposedly had non-consentual sex in, but remembers everything up the point it supposedly happened. Very strange huh?

I'm so tired of the ****** comments. Ben was stupid that night, no doubt. I believe he drinks to much in the offseason and has only recently gotten out of his college, party boy, mentality. I do not believe that he is a ******. He may have let the fame get to his head. He won a Super Bowl at a very young age, was signed to a large contract, etc.

This is the last I hope to speak of it on this forum. This thread was about Harrison anyways, it's a shame that people have to find any opportunity to call this man a ******. This is the same man who was fined by the NFL in his rookie season for writing "PFJ" (playing for Jesus) on his armbands and shoes. I'm not saying he is a model chrisitian, but a ******, I fully believe in my heart that he is not.

Hopefully we can get back on subject now!

Go Steelers!

yes and let not forget accusations are just that accuations

Back in the summer, police were called to a resort in Wisconsin Dells that housed several Green Bay Packers players in response to two women who accused the men of holding them down while multiple players sexually assaulted them. Linebackers Brad Jones and Clay Matthews, guard Josh Sitton, safety Khalil Jones, fullback Korey Hall and backup quarterback Matt Flynn were cleared of charges. A seventh player, Brandon Underwood, is currently under investigation.

sorry to rehash this.....but I hope my point is taken....

good luk next week.

Psycho86

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Complete BULL. Sanchez slid, and was almost finished sliding when Harrison jumped on him sort of like what you'd see from a WWE wrestler and then after that part as Sanchez started to lift his head up he nailed him with an elbow to the head.

The rule is - no contact with a QB after he has started sliding, the slide was damn near finished and he still jumped on him and capped it off with the elbow to the head.

I didn't see any elbow to the head, or any WWE jump that you're describing. I don't understand how any Green Bay Packer fan could be against hard hittting Linebackers. If it really bothers you then go hang out with Goodell and drink tea together. Maybe talk about how Tom Brady is the greatest QB to ever lace up or how you made James Harrison pay over 100 grand this year and now he is in the Superbowl and could potentially be the MVP or even the Defensive player of the year after all this.

I love Harrison's style and I hope he lays out a couple of Packers in the Superbowl to tell you the truth. Any team would love to have him and that includes the Packers. He is the BEST tackler in the NFL and came up HUGE in the 2008 Superbowl when he ran back a 100 yard interception return. He faked out Kurt Warner and dropped back into coverage lol I have never seen such a sight when he was running down the sideline and all you could see was an army of white jersey's accompanying him to the endzone making sure nobody got near him. He will get to Rodgers and so will Woodley. Rodgers is a tough QB, he knows what kind of team he is up against.

Some people wear Superman pajamas, Superman wears James Harrison pajamas

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
I didn't see any elbow to the head, or any WWE jump that you're describing. I don't understand how any Green Bay Packer fan could be against hard hittting Linebackers. If it really bothers you then go hang out with Goodell and drink tea together. Maybe talk about how Tom Brady is the greatest QB to ever lace up or how you made James Harrison pay over 100 grand this year and now he is in the Superbowl and could potentially be the MVP or even the Defensive player of the year after all this.

I love Harrison's style and I hope he lays out a couple of Packers in the Superbowl to tell you the truth. Any team would love to have him and that includes the Packers. He is the BEST tackler in the NFL and came up HUGE in the 2008 Superbowl when he ran back a 100 yard interception return. He faked out Kurt Warner and dropped back into coverage lol I have never seen such a sight when he was running down the sideline and all you could see was an army of white jersey's accompanying him to the endzone making sure nobody got near him. He will get to Rodgers and so will Woodley. Rodgers is a tough QB, he knows what kind of team he is up against.

Superman wasn't a thug.

Just answered another Steelers fan hoping Rodgers gets a concussion and has to leave the game.

There is something seriously wrong with this thinking. Really.

Reaction score
Harrison is a very good (but dirty) player. He is looking to knock Rodgers out of the game. Aaron, for the most part is able to get away from headhunters like this although he couldn't get out of Peppers hit last week. Who is on the side of Harrison? Clifton or Bulaga?

chucktownsteeler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about Harrison, he gets held almost everyplay. You might want to keep your eye on Timmons and Woodley, plus a few corner blitzes. We have a young pup in the line-up as well "Ziggy Hood" that has come on as of late. I see Rodgers getting harassed early and often.

Steelers 36

Pack 17

Chucktown

BadKarma

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are "3 Meanest Men in the World".

James Harrison gets Christmas cards from the other two.

Attachments

• Linebacker James Harrison.jpg
    Linebacker James Harrison.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 90

Steeler Tim

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrison is a very good (but dirty) player. He is looking to knock Rodgers out of the game. Aaron, for the most part is able to get away from headhunters like this although he couldn't get out of Peppers hit last week. Who is on the side of Harrison? Clifton or Bulaga?

Harrison is a very good player who does NOT play dirty. Does he hit hard? Yes! Does he try and cause a fumble? Yes! Does he try and knock the ball loose from a receiver? Yes!

Does he lead with his shoulder like he has been taught since ankle biters? Yes! Does that mean his helmet also makes contact? Yes. That's not playing dirty. That's just playing football.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problem how Harrison plays, but if he knocks Aaron Rodgers out of the game with an illegal hit I will be cursing his name.

Claymaker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Care to change your opinion? Late hit and the elbow to boot.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMEZEUvPv8A]YouTube - James Harrison late hit on Mark Sanchez[/ame]

dantastic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, I'm all for great hits, but lately Harrison's are malicious. He is trying to seriously injure another player.
You can't tell me if you look at the two videos I posted on the second page, that he isn't.

I don't know if it has to do with trying to hurt guys to influence the 18 game schedule or what. Maybe I'm over-thinking things.

Sometimes a receiver reacts and ducks, or you have an accident like the Jackson/Robinson hit.

There is a balance to be had here. You can have hard hits that don't lead to players having memory loss in their 40's (i.e. Jim Mcmahon)

The NFL is trying to change the mindset of not only players, but fans, some in this thread.
I want NFL players to retire and be able to enjoy playing and running around with their kids instead of sitting in a wheelchair drooling.

Just my .02

Steeler Tim

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, I'm all for great hits, but lately Harrison's are malicious. He is trying to seriously injure another player.
You can't tell me if you look at the two videos I posted on the second page, that he isn't.

I don't know if it has to do with trying to hurt guys to influence the 18 game schedule or what. Maybe I'm over-thinking things.

Sometimes a receiver reacts and ducks, or you have an accident like the Jackson/Robinson hit.

There is a balance to be had here. You can have hard hits that don't lead to players having memory loss in their 40's (i.e. Jim Mcmahon)

The NFL is trying to change the mindset of not only players, but fans, some in this thread.
I want NFL players to retire and be able to enjoy playing and running around with their kids instead of sitting in a wheelchair drooling.

Just my .02

So if Goodell and his henchmen are so interested in player safety why don't they mandate that players have to wear safety equipment. The helmet technology has been around for over a decade that helps reduce the risk of concussion. If fact I think Rodgers has chosen to wear such a helmet.

Wouldn't it be more effective to make the collisions less violent by padding the outer helmet and shoulder pads? That way you don't have to worry about the defender trying to read the offensive players mind on how he is going to move.

My question is why is it always the defenders fault for head to head collisions? Running backs ALWAYS lead with their heads. Why aren't they penalized?

Do me a favor and get in a tackling stance. Then look and see what part of your body is in front. If you are doing it right i guarantee you it's your head. Think about that when you say the NFL is just trying to change the mindset of players. The only way to do that is make it tag football.

I''m from the Jack Lambert school of football. Just put dresses on the QBs and be done with it. :happy0005:

Latest posts