Dear OLine, please keep James Harrison away from Aaron Rodgers

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrison is a very good player who does NOT play dirty. Does he hit hard? Yes! Does he try and cause a fumble? Yes! Does he try and knock the ball loose from a receiver? Yes!

Does he lead with his shoulder like he has been taught since ankle biters? Yes! Does that mean his helmet also makes contact? Yes. That's not playing dirty. That's just playing football.

101% Cheap Shot Turd! (Learned it from Ward)

Watch his play! Every tackle is lead with his helmet. Watch when the NFL came down on him earlier this year for being a turd! He went back to being a nobody! The guy is relentless, but nothing but a back up with out being a dirty player.

Apparently the NFL doesn't want to admit that a previous Super Bowl MVP is a cheap shot turd.

pittguy578

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He said he didn't want to injure anyone. I think any defensive player wants to put a hit on an opposing player..the NFL glorifies the Big Hit. He never goes out and actually tries to put someone out of a game..maybe knock the wind out of him...

All of his tackles were "legal"-He is just a machine and doesn't play around. He goes all out all of the time..

They just interviewed his personal strength coach on TV the other day..A lot of guys stop working out hard after they get the big contract..Harrison worked out even harder because he is older and has less of a window to be great.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Harrison = the Rasheed Wallace of the NFL.

If he is so clean why does he get repeatedly fined? Bc Goodell hates the Steelers?

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Harrison wouldn't be targeted by the league if he didnt whine to the media every time he gets fined, and then tell them "I won't change the way I play" etc.

Telling the NFL that you won't follow the rules of the game puts a target on your back, and rightfully so.

dantastic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if Goodell and his henchmen are so interested in player safety why don't they mandate that players have to wear safety equipment. The helmet technology has been around for over a decade that helps reduce the risk of concussion. If fact I think Rodgers has chosen to wear such a helmet.

Wouldn't it be more effective to make the collisions less violent by padding the outer helmet and shoulder pads? That way you don't have to worry about the defender trying to read the offensive players mind on how he is going to move.

My question is why is it always the defenders fault for head to head collisions? Running backs ALWAYS lead with their heads. Why aren't they penalized?

Do me a favor and get in a tackling stance. Then look and see what part of your body is in front. If you are doing it right i guarantee you it's your head. Think about that when you say the NFL is just trying to change the mindset of players. The only way to do that is make it tag football.

I''m from the Jack Lambert school of football. Just put dresses on the QBs and be done with it. :happy0005:

While I completely agree with your point on the shoulder pads,
the rest of your post proves my point.

It's time to change your point of view. This isn't your 70's NFL anymore.
Players are stronger, faster, and the result is life-altering injuries.
I am far from a Goodell nutswinger, but he's right. If they don't start
to make changes, you're going to have dudes sucking apple sauce through a straw.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just do a simple search on his name only and watch?

The guy rarely makes a tackle that isn't with his head down leading into it! This is exactly what the NFL is talking about! He is an accomplished cheap shot turd who should be tossed out of the league.

These links are from the first 1 minute of the search of Just "James Harrison". Watch video of him of the Greatest Player Ever Vids as well! Head Down & Leading into the hit!

Your hero is a cheap shot dirty turd!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY0KNh3MwOM]YouTube - {HD} Hines Ward Dirty Player Cheap Shot on Ray Lewis SlowMo 2010[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY0KNh3MwOM]YouTube - {HD} Hines Ward Dirty Player Cheap Shot on Ray Lewis SlowMo 2010[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BfxMalwza4]YouTube - James Harrison "Illegal" Hits All of Them[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrt4PJKhGXE]YouTube - James Harrison body slams Jason Campbell 11-21-10[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcA-7N-0Lh4]YouTube - james harrison huge hit!!![/ame]

Preacher

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a look at Packers vs Eagles. There's a play Nick Collins LAYS DOWN THE WOOD on the Eagles' receiver, and the guy drops the ball. But he does so with his forearm.

That is also an illegal hit in today's NFL. "Striking opponent on head or neck with forearm, elbow, or hands whether or not the initial contact is made below the neck area."

It's about knowing how to tackle. You can't lead with your helmet anymore.
You couldn't for years. The Spearing penalty has been in place for I don't know how long. The difference is, we have sat there and watched Harrison get calls against him literally for taking a step and tackling a QB around the waste, and then falling with him to the ground (NFL apologized the next day). Yet, we have seen, in the same games, Ben get drilled helmet first, with nary a penalty. IMO, the issue isn't an "Anti-Pittsburgh" thing, it was a focus on castrating Harrison's style of play, which, up to this year, was completely legal.

Look, I understand "player safety". But I think it is a ruse. Especially when the very play that Harrison was fined for, was captured in a picture and sold on the NFL website. It isn't about player safety, its about making sure the "Big Play" players stay on the field so the score get ran up since that is "exciting". Its all about the money. If it was TRULY about player safety, one simple rule would fix the entire problem. --You must wrap when you tackle, and attempt to take the player to the ground while wrapped. Its the tackling rule in Rugby, which is much more brutal and just as hard hitting, without pads.

About Packers being accused, we've heard about Chmura a lot, and a lot of Packers fans can't stand the guy. And he even got acquitted. We have Underwood, a married guy with a little child, banging 2 chicks and being accused of ****.

But we have nothing like Ben. It's something that will be there for him for the rest of his life, and the fans will have to deal with it. No use pretending it didn't happen, because it did.

If it was consensual or not, it's another issue, but he should've never been in that position in the first place.

There is no way to argue with that. You are dead on right.

BlackNGold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The goal on defense isn't to just tackle the guy. The goal is to punish the guy. Make him think twice when he sees your number. Make the receiver worry about the hit before he catches the ball. Strip the ball.

As long as the player is not defenseless you can not lead with your head. Any other time it's legal. Not that Harrison tackles like that every time, and yes he has put some hits on defenseless players, but he was not intentionally trying to injure the guy.

So what if he wants to hurt people. When I played football I wanted to hurt people too. Your taught to hurt people. To drive them into the ground. Your not going to purposely try to injure them, but you do want to hurt them.

I guess you guys play a different brand of football in WI. I don't know.. :-P

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess you guys play a different brand of football in WI. I don't know.. :-P

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXV9Sya3D0o]YouTube - Clay Matthews Hard Hits ! [BEST HIGHLIGHTS][/ame]

I don't think Clay Matthews has ever been penalized on a tackle or a sack...probably one of the biggest young stars in the game

dantastic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*waiting for the Steeler fans to say it's favoritism*

We also make stupid hits like Harrison. Case in point. Nick Collins

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7-xORQllBI&feature=related]YouTube - Big Helmet To Helmet On Roy Williams Dallas Cowboys vs Green Bay Packers[/ame]

Burgh Splat Lambert

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's crap
He has taken reckless, headhunting shots at other players.
He doesn't need to lead with his helmet.
Harrison is a better player than that.

YouTube - James Harrison's Hit on Josh Cribs!( decent quality)

YouTube - James Harrison's hit on Massaquoi( decent quality)

and don't give me that bs about "that's how he plays"
I've seen him make plently of clean, great hits too. Example

YouTube - James Harrison "The Beast" hit on Ed Reed

my favorite
YouTube - James Harrison Sacks Browns Fan
I have to say, it was a nice tackle on the browns fan.:grin2:

Burgh Splat Lambert

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could have sworn in football you arm tackle people down not jam your helmet into the other dudes helmet. I must have my sports mixed up, oh dear.
No cheap shots here, just intensity---He was the man! [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17aqjSQPpzs&playnext=1&list=PL85032334A612269B"]YouTube - Jack Lambert Tribute[/ame]

BlackNGold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poor Sanchez, yeah Harrison really drilled him there huh? And he really jumped on him didn't he? You must have ate some bad cheese. I guess if they would have called it the Jets would have won too right?

Put Rodgers in a dress and we won't hurt him. Promise. :-P

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Poor Sanchez, yeah Harrison really drilled him there huh? And he really jumped on him didn't he? You must have ate some bad cheese. I guess if they would have called it the Jets would have won too right?

Put Rodgers in a dress and we won't hurt him. Promise. :-P

Whether the Jets would have won or not, doesn't matter - there should have been a flag on that play, and a 15 yard penalty assessed from that spot.

1. Just because Harrison got away with a blatant personal foul doesn't mean it wasn't wrong for him to do...
2. Mentioning late hits of QBs - especially ones who are ON THE GROUND and therefore DOWN - doesn't mean "put the QB in a dress".
3. Steeler fans love to talk about how big and bad and tough and "physical" their players are... but they are also the first ones to whine and complain about non-calls, bad calls, and even legitimate calls.

Steeler Fans are the ones who should be in dresses. :happy0005:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Let me put it to you this way, if your team doesn't make an attempt to match the Steelers physically, you will have your heads handed to you.:victory:

How could we possibly match up physically with your supermen?
With stuff like this coming from Steelers fans, wouldn't it be best for you to just stay on your own web sites so you can all agree?

Steeler Tim

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another Harrison apologist. The rule is you can't go into a QB after he has begun the slide. Not only had he begun the slide, but he was nearly stopped when Harrison jumped on him. The elbow was just the icing on the cake.

and how stupid is that rule. Doesn't the QB get hit the majority of the time even when he slides feet first? The truth of that play is Harrison and Sanchez both left their feet at about the same time. That's why there wasn't a flag thrown on the play.

I find it hard to believe that a Packer defender has never hit a QB when he slides feet first. They play defense too well and have great players going all out for it not to have happened.

That's the way it is for Harrison. He goes all out on every play. It's why he gets held on almost every play he uses the speed rush around the outside. The only thing a tackle can do is put him in a choke hold ... and for you critics out there I am not whining about it. I'm just pointing out a well known fact.

Harrison sacked a QB this year and a flag was thrown. Why? The ref said he tackled the QB too hard. WTF? Again, not whining, just stating a fact. The next week Ben gets his nose busted but no flag. Why? The ref said the guy was just trying to tackle him. Again, WTF?

Harrison, as well as a number of defensive players, got to the point where they didn't know what they were allowed to do and what they couldn't do. The inconsistencies by the officials and what came out of the league offices generated this confusion. I'm sure it happened to some of your Packer defenders also. It got so bad that Tyrell Suggs, a very verbal Steeler hater, came to the defense of Harrison saying he had been targeted.

Harrison is one of the hardest working players in the league. He plays the way he practices. He goes all out on every play and when he makes a good play he doesn't do a dance or try and rub it in. He gets up and goes back to the huddle. I don't think he is dirty at all. Has he made some late hits? Certainly, but that doesn't mean he is dirty.

Black and Gold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too bad I don't get streaming video at work; I'd like to see the hit on Sanchez again. I remember being surprised that he didn't get flagged until they showed the replay in slo-mo which showed them both going to the ground at around the same time, and it looked to me like Harrison avoided hitting Sanchez with full force.

Harrison has made some poor decisions this year, primarily for the hits against receivers where he led with his head and left his feet--those are textbook calls this year and he deserved the flag/fine.

Calls for hits on QBs are tougher because of the downward motion of a QB's head and body after he throws the ball. It looks extremely difficult to hit a QB in the body as he's coming down without sticking your helmet under his chin, which is an automatic fifteen yarder. If you go lower you risk being off balance and missing the tackle, or else you blocked into the knees--which also gets you flagged.

I hope no one gets knocked out of the game, period.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Too bad I don't get streaming video at work; I'd like to see the hit on Sanchez again. I remember being surprised that he didn't get flagged until they showed the replay in slo-mo which showed them both going to the ground at around the same time, and it looked to me like Harrison avoided hitting Sanchez with full force.

Harrison has made some poor decisions this year, primarily for the hits against receivers where he led with his head and left his feet--those are textbook calls this year and he deserved the flag/fine.

Calls for hits on QBs are tougher because of the downward motion of a QB's head and body after he throws the ball. It looks extremely difficult to hit a QB in the body as he's coming down without sticking your helmet under his chin, which is an automatic fifteen yarder. If you go lower you risk being off balance and missing the tackle, or else you blocked into the knees--which also gets you flagged.

I hope no one gets knocked out of the game, period.

As long as Harrison remains defiant with regard to the rules of the game, and continues to spout off to the media, his past history, and current attitude, are going to result in him not getting the benefit of the doubt when it comes to calls, and even when it comes to him getting held.

He stops leaving his feet and launching himself helmet-first into other players, and stops running his mouth, odds are he'll start getting the benefit of the doubt again, resulting in fewer flags, fewer penalties, fewer fines, and maybe eventually someone will throw a flag when he gets held.

He made his bed.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts