CUTDOWN DAY 2019 -- the Turk cometh and taketh away the playbook

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's actually a article on PackersNews.com that quoted Moore as saying "He got the short end of the stick." Nah bruh, you just TRASH!!!!

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers cut Deshone Kizer....WOW No trade partners?

There's actually a article on PackersNews.com that quoted Moore as saying "He got the short end of the stick." Nah bruh, you just TRASH!!!!

Fwiw, Kizer hasn't been cut yet. Not sure where you're seeing that, but you're wrong.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fwiw, Kizer hasn't been cut yet. Not sure where you're seeing that, but you're wrong.

PackersNews got me with their clickbait. I chose to read the Moore article first because he's full of himself. The notification they sent to my phone was slightly different than the title of the actual article.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jim Owczarski reports Packers have released LB James Folston.

Damn, I had him on the PS in my prediction. Still not too late, MLF said the PS will be backfilled after the cutdown, possibly up to Sunday.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim Owczarski reports Packers have released LB James Folston.

Damn, I had him on the PS in my prediction. Still not too late, MLF said the PS will be backfilled after the cutdown, possibly up to Sunday.
I'd venture a guess that most of the future practice squad was still not notified they were cut yet as of 6am LFT this morning.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just read an article on SB Nation, teams can't actually assemble their Practice Squads until 1pm EST tomorrow. So regardless of whether they verbally tell them or not, they're getting cut today. That being said, the 10 they hope to have on the Practice Squad at 1pm tomorrow might be on another team's active roster before that. I'm assuming that's what that buffer is for; so teams don't immediately sign a player to the PS, just to lose him to another team. I bet agents are especially busy this afternoon and into the wee hours of the morning tomorrow.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bengals cut ILB Malik Jefferson, hmm.....

From a little research, Jefferson was the Bengals' high-end version of James Crawford. Still, with the physical tools, I'm sure he'll land somewhere else. If he was lost in Marvin Lewis' defense then he probably was lost in Zac Taylor's as well. But I'm open to a Practice Squad stash for a year and let Pettine tutor him for a bit.

Redskins cut 2018 UDFA S JoJo McIntosh

Bills cut CB Captain Munnerlyn and RB LeSean McCoy(Cut Tra Carson immediately!!!! LOL).

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I just read an article on SB Nation, teams can't actually assemble their Practice Squads until 1pm EST tomorrow. So regardless of whether they verbally tell them or not, they're getting cut today. That being said, the 10 they hope to have on the Practice Squad at 1pm tomorrow might be on another team's active roster before that. I'm assuming that's what that buffer is for; so teams don't immediately sign a player to the PS, just to lose him to another team. I bet agents are especially busy this afternoon and into the wee hours of the morning tomorrow.
It doesn't have to be another team's active roster. It could be another team's practice squad.

There's no reason to assume a released player would automatically choose the PS of the team that released him if he has another PS offer. The player's agent might see a weaker depth situation on that other team's 53 man roster improving the chances of promotion at some point. Also, teams are allowed to offer more than the PS minimum pay which is $8,000 per week this season. A player might opt for the better paycheck.

Consequently, there's also no reason to assume Gutekunst won't sign a guy to the PS who was cut by another team.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The #Vikings are moving on from former first-round pick Laquon Treadwell, source said. They will work to trade him, but if no trade, he’ll be released.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

D

Deleted member 6794

I disagree with the move, I'm hoping he makes the Practice Squad. I can't see anyone else from our current 90 man doing better. Can I just say that Ibraheim Campbell is overrated as well?

I don't think that's the point of the disagree rating.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're absolutely right, if you were offended in any way I'll remove it, I was more being funny than anything. I know some people are ready to take it to the streets on a little red x around here.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're absolutely right, if you were offended in any way I'll remove it, I was more being funny than anything. I know some people are ready to take it to the streets on a little red x around here.

I'm not offended by it by any means but was curious about the reasoning behind it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ryan Wood reports that the Packers have indeed released WR J'Mon Moore.

D

Deleted member 6794

CB Kabion Ento has been released as well. I expect the Packers to make him an offee to join the practice squad.

H

HardRightEdge

Sam Ficken has been cut

We can finally put this discussion to bed!

@TomPelissero
·
1m

The #Packers cut kicker Sam Ficken, source said.
The devil you know....

Some closing words on the matter.

There are 100 or more kickers coming out of college every year. On top of that there are lots of guys from prior years still training, still trying to land a job. Ficken is one of those guys back in that haystack, and the haystack is many years deep. Take Tavecchio for example, a guy who came out in 2012 who some may remember from the Packer 2013 training camp. He didn't land a steady job until 2017 in Oakland when Janakowski went on IR. He couldn't stick there. Then he kicked for a few games in Atlanta last year when Bryant was injured. Now, in 2019, he was competing with Blair Walsh for the Atlanta job. Evidently, Atlanta didn't like either and are bringing Matt Bryant back at the 11th. hour. Bryant will cost them more than those sub-$1 mil guys. Those two released Atlanta guys, and Ficken as well, go back into the haystack and maybe they get on some GM's lists of possible injury or performance failure (e.g., Carlson) replacements if needed.

The point being, the haystack is at least 8 years deep as evidenced by Tavecchio. Now go find the needle. Atlanta tried and went back to the their 44 year old stalwart who had a hamstring injury last season.

It's easy to say that Crosby has been overpaid, he's streaky and inconsistent, does not have a strong leg by today's standards, and statistically does not rank in the current top 20. It is easy because it is true. On the other hand, out of the haystack comes maybe two or three guys per year who have developed a reliable track record over several years whereby you can say with some confidence he'll do a good job in the upcoming season. Big hastack, few needles.

Finding a reliable kicker out of the haystack is about as hard as finding a decent, reliable starting QB. At the same time, kickers present unique problems in evaluation. Kicking is a head game, they don't get a lot of reps in preseason, and there are not many special teams coaches who are kicking experts; most learn by osmosis if they learn at all. It's a position where the trial-and-errors come in money games.

So, when it comes down to replacing Crosby or any other veteran, the question becomes, "do you feel lucky?" It's probably the hardest positon to answer the question, "who else ya got?"

Look on the bright side. Tavecchio was the last guy in camp to compete with Crosby. Crosby followed with his best season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chargers release Cardale Jones....Whatever happened to that guy? From National Champion with Zeke to obscurity? He should have declared the year he won it, he would have probably been a 2nd or 3rd Rounder. "Take the money!!!!", like Bobby Boucher's dad Roberto in the Waterboy.

Last edited:

Members online