Courtney Upshaw?

A. Rodgers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few of the post free agency mock drafts have us taking him in the first. How would you guys feel about that?

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trust in TT. I would like to see us trade back to the top of the 2nd and get a third round pick or two as well and draft Bruce Irvin atop the 2nd and have a bunch of third round picks to bolster our defense and oline. Unless Poe or someone drops.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I was initially really high on him. But after watching him at the combine, being a tad slow, lacking explosion off the ball, and being around 6'2". I think he's a tad undersized to be effective where we'd use him (OLB).

I like Mercilus and Perry more.

Alas, he can't possibly be any worse than Eric Walden. So if we get him it's still an improvement

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce Irvin does look like a beast and a trade to get another pick and then him early in the 2nd would be awesome.....but I think other teams know he is awesome too.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt Upshaw is available at our pick. His best traits are those that aren't measured at the combine. Heart, football smarts, dedication, leadership, meanness, and tenacity are tough to put a number on. He will not be an uber stud like Matthews, he won't get lots of sacks - but he will be very solid and opponents will hate playing against him.

Poe is the direct opposite. Amazing measurables, but had little production. Played without much enthusiasm for long stretches. So who would you want? Risk a pick on the potential superstar in Poe hoping you can somehow motivate him; or the guy who is very likely to be very good?

I'm going with Upshaw, hands down.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Upshaw probably wont' be there. The DEs/DTs/OLBs that will almost certainly be gone by #28 are:

Quinton Coples
Dontari Poe
Courtney Upshaw
Fletcher Cox
Melvin Ingram

These might still be there:

Nick Perry, DE
Michael Brockers, DT
Whitney Mercilus, OLB

These will most probably or certainly be there and many will be there in the 2nd round:

Vinny Curry, DE
Jared Crick, DE
Devon Still, DT
Kendall Reyes, DT
Jerel Worthy, DT
Andre Branch, OLB
Bruce Irvin, OLB
Ronnell Lewis, OLB

Who is the best among them? Which of them fits better into a 3-4? Are Perry, Brockers, Mercilus or any of the others worth a 1st round pick or should be trade back?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Upshaw probably wont' be there. The DEs/DTs/OLBs that will almost certainly be gone by #28 are:

Quinton Coples
Dontari Poe
Courtney Upshaw
Fletcher Cox
Melvin Ingram

These might still be there:

Nick Perry, DE
Michael Brockers, DT
Whitney Mercilus, OLB

These will most probably or certainly be there and many will be there in the 2nd round:

Vinny Curry, DE
Jared Crick, DE
Devon Still, DT
Kendall Reyes, DT
Jerel Worthy, DT
Andre Branch, OLB
Bruce Irvin, OLB
Ronnell Lewis, OLB

Who is the best among them? Which of them fits better into a 3-4? Are Perry, Brockers, Mercilus or any of the others worth a 1st round pick or should be trade back?

There is my order: Brockers, then Curry, then Reyes.

I think our biggest need is DE. With better DEs, our OLBs will be better. Everyone wants a pass rusher at DE - I don't think TT or MM are looking for that. They want guys who can take up blockers and push the pocket. Brockers is all that. Curry will be a very good OLB. Reyes is more of a pass rush guy, but he will still be very good.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
There is my order: Brockers, then Curry, then Reyes.

I think our biggest need is DE. With better DEs, our OLBs will be better.

I agree 100% about DE's being more important. But I'd like to have a franchise edge rusher. I really like Mercilus a lot.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
This thread should be in draft talk. I think any pass rusher whether its a defensive lineman or linebacker who can get pressure off Matthews will be great.