Calvin Pryor

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think the combine is a great tool but can lead to over-hyped expectations IMO. Look at Nick Perry and Datone Jones. They had great combines and measurable's but how does it translate to play on the field? The jury is still out on both of them. There are players that I think are "great football players". I think a great example last year was Micah Hyde. He didn't have the greatest combine numbers but made one heck of an impact as a rookie and will be a solid contributor this coming season. Here are some players that I would love to see the packers draft because not only are they good athletes but are also great players and passionate about the game.

1. Aaron Donald DT Pitt

2. Chris Borland LB Wisonsin

3. Deonne Buccanon S Washington State

4. Ahmad Dixon S Baylor

5. Jeremy Gallon WR Michigan

6. Troy Niklas TE Notre Dame

7. Donte Moncrief WR Mississippi

8. Caraun Reid DT Princeton

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give Datone Jones one more years before judging him, he just need to add some bulk.

Aaron Donald is impressive, but i'm reading he's a 4-3 guy, and too small to play 3-4 DE, he's 6-1 and already 285 so adding more weight could destroy he's play. You could compare Donald to Daniels, who isn't a every down DE, still, he was our best last season, he's 6-0 and 300.
Drafting a guy in round one just to play sub packages isn't my #1, judging a player based on he's stats and frame isn't my thing either, but having 2 good DE's possibly Not every down could hurt us.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here is a thought. Forget drafting a safety in the 1st round. Sign a free agent free safety like Chris Clemons (miami dolphins) and draft Ahmad Dixon in the third round. Draft Aaron Donald in first round and Chris Borland in 2nd. If that happened I would be "so happy"

I think it is way too early to talk about what the Packers should do with their first round pick as we don't have any idea what will happen in free agency (with our own as well as outside free agents).

Right now I would suggest either safety or ILB being our biggest needs.

BTW I don't think Borland will be a second round pick after his poor showing at the combine.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Give Datone Jones one more years before judging him, he just need to add some bulk.

Aaron Donald is impressive, but i'm reading he's a 4-3 guy, and too small to play 3-4 DE, he's 6-1 and already 285 so adding more weight could destroy he's play. You could compare Donald to Daniels, who isn't a every down DE, still, he was our best last season, he's 6-0 and 300.
Drafting a guy in round one just to play sub packages isn't my #1, judging a player based on he's stats and frame isn't my thing either, but having 2 good DE's possibly Not every down could hurt us.

Good points. I have heard though the defensive scheme is gonna be different this year as McCarthy has mentioned this new "elephant position" and using "Nick Perry" there, so maybe that would change things on how Donald could be used. I don't know. I just watch his tape and he has a "motor". After watching lots of "seahawk tape" and I know they run a 4-3 but there D-line isn't all that big. What they do is get up the field and attack. The seahawks also rotated 7 different defensive lineman. Donald appears to me as someone who can come right in and attack and get up-field. I think he is the best D-lineman in the draft and reminds me of Daniels too. I say draft the best player and take that personnel and put together the best scheme. This is where I get frustrated on this whole building the 3-4 every year which hasn't been working. IMO if were gonna stick with the base 3-4 then Hawk and Jones both have to go and were gonna need a fierce safety that can fly up and hit. Bottom line is were gonna have to get faster and meaner in the middle for the base 3-4 to work. If Capers is the genius everyone says then he should be able to take the best talented players and build a defense that can get off the field. it should be exciting to see what happens in upcoming draft and free agency.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think it is way too early to talk about what the Packers should do with their first round pick as we don't have any idea what will happen in free agency (with our own as well as outside free agents).

BTW I don't think Borland will be a second round pick after his poor showing at the combine.

Agreed on team needs. I was just throwing guys up who IMO are "pure football players" , It wasn't a draft order. If it was I would of had Bucannon ahead of Borland. In my perfect world I would love to see Packers get Mosley in 1st and Bucannon in 2nd but as you said everything could change after "free agency". Well see what happens.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Good points. I have heard though the defensive scheme is gonna be different this year as McCarthy has mentioned this new "elephant position" and using "Nick Perry" there, so maybe that would change things on how Donald could be used. I don't know. I just watch his tape and he has a "motor". After watching lots of "seahawk tape" and I know they run a 4-3 but there D-line isn't all that big. What they do is get up the field and attack. The seahawks also rotated 7 different defensive lineman. Donald appears to me as someone who can come right in and attack and get up-field. I think he is the best D-lineman in the draft and reminds me of Daniels too. I say draft the best player and take that personnel and put together the best scheme. This is where I get frustrated on this whole building the 3-4 every year which hasn't been working. IMO if were gonna stick with the base 3-4 then Hawk and Jones both have to go and were gonna need a fierce safety that can fly up and hit. Bottom line is were gonna have to get faster and meaner in the middle for the base 3-4 to work. If Capers is the genius everyone says then he should be able to take the best talented players and build a defense that can get off the field. it should be exciting to see what happens in upcoming draft and free agency.

And Donald isn't the guy I want in first. I want Mosley but I just don't think he will be on the board.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that Donald could be a great fit within our defense, don't think he'll be there at #21 though.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

BTW Borland would be and upgrade over any of our middle Linebackers. The combine isn't the bible

D

Deleted member 6794

BTW Borland would be and upgrade over any of our middle Linebackers. The combine isn't the bible

I agree with both of your points, but I didn't think he would be a second rounder before the combine and he didn't improve his status in Indy.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I agree with both of your points, but I didn't think he would be a second rounder before the combine and he didn't improve his status in Indy.

That's great. Hopefully we pick him up in the 3rd or 4th. He "can play"