Any interest in Caleb Williams for 2024?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sometimes it seems like The Packers get enamored with a player in the draft and then bring him in no matter how many other teams cut him. Actually I don't even know what Jones you are talking about.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

James Jones.

I think you are referring more to Cobb, than Jones. Jones had his best season as a Pro in 2015, his final year playing. Led the Packers in yards (890) and TD's (8), he also had a great yds/catch average of 17.8 and his yds/tgt was 9, which also was a team high for WR's.

Reaction score
I think when you have a well established FHOF QB on your team, the need to draft QB's every season decreases quite a bit. Especially, if said FHOF QB is still young (under 34ish), productive and relatively injury free. I would also add, that if that QB has a successful team, one vying for a SB, I would prefer signing a backup QB with a lot of game management experience, just in case.
I not only 100% agree, but I was going to say that exact thing. Which is why we had a QB draft drought earlier in Rodgers tenure. Although when we look at how thin we went at drafting at QB for over a decade, it shouldn’t have been a big surprise that QB would be in our crosshairs around that
2020-2022 draft timeframe. A few years prior to 2020 we even had a thread in this forum
where we guessed when we should draft Aaron’s replacement. I can’t find it now, but you might recall that thread line? I was closer to drafting one at around now, but that was also before some internal tension surfaced between our QB and our FO about player retention etc.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I not only 100% agree, but I was going to say that exact thing. Which is why we had a QB draft drought earlier in Rodgers tenure. Although when we look at how thin we went at drafting at QB for over a decade, it shouldn’t have been a big surprise that QB would be in our crosshairs around that
2020-2022 draft timeframe. A few years prior to 2020 we even had a thread in this forum
where we guessed when we should draft Aaron’s replacement. I can’t find it now, but you might recall that thread line? I was closer to drafting one at around now, but that was also before some internal tension surfaced between our QB and our FO about player retention etc.
Cannot recall what transpired but I wonder how HOF #4 felt not so much when #12 was drafted but how he reacted when " We want the ball and We are going to score " got drafted by us.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Hasselbeck was a 6th round pick in 1998.
I doubt it even registered with Favre as Wolf drafted QBs in 7 of his 11 years as GM. Wolf also brought in QBs as FAs trying to find someone overlooked by other teams.

Wolf and his scouting staff did an excellent job at the QB position when you consider that 4 of his drafted players had respectable NFL careers for other teams.

Aaron Brooks : 1999 / Rnd. 4; 93 Games / 90 Games Started
Matt Hasselbeck :1998 / Rnd. 6; 209 G / 160 GS
McAda : 1997; No Recorded Stats on Pro-Football-Reference.com
Wachholz (1996 / Rnd. 7); No Recorded Stats on Pro-Football-Reference.com
Barker 1995 ; No Recorded Stats on Pro-Football-Reference.com
Mark Brunell : 1993 (193 G / 151 GS)
Ty Detmer : 1992 / Rnd. 9; 54 G /25 GS - (The Packers used the 1992 first round pick to acquire Brett from the Falcons)

Thompson took Rodgers after he fell in the draft but otherwise stunk at drafting QBs. (6 QBS in 13 years). He did find a career backup in Matt Flynn. The jury is still out on Gute's pick of Love (2 QBs in 6 years) and the only other QB he drafted was Sean Clifford this year.

Brett Hundley : 2015 / Rnd. 5 ; 18 G / 9 GS
B.J. Coleman : 2012 Rnd. 7 ; No Recorded Stats on Pro-Football-Reference.com
Brian Brohm : 2008 / Rnd. 2 ; 3 G / 2 GS
Matt Flynn :2008 /Rnd. 7 ; 53 G / 12 GS
Ingle Martin : 2006 / Rnd.5 ; 1 G / 0 GS
Aaron Rodgers : 2005 / Rnd. 1 - Future HOF

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hasselbeck was a 6th round pick in 1998.
I doubt it even registered with Favre as Wolf drafted QBs in 7 of his 11 years as GM. Wolf also brought in QBs as FAs trying to find someone overlooked by other teams.

Wolf and his scouting staff did an excellent job at the QB position when you consider that 4 of his drafted players had respectable NFL careers for other teams.

Aaron Brooks : 1999 / Rnd. 4; 93 Games / 90 Games Started
Matt Hasselbeck :1998 / Rnd. 6; 209 G / 160 GS
McAda : 1997; No Recorded Stats on Pro-Football-Reference.com
Wachholz (1996 / Rnd. 7); No Recorded Stats on Pro-Football-Reference.com
Barker 1995 ; No Recorded Stats on Pro-Football-Reference.com
Mark Brunell : 1993 (193 G / 151 GS)
Ty Detmer : 1992 / Rnd. 9; 54 G /25 GS - (The Packers used the 1992 first round pick to acquire Brett from the Falcons)

Thompson took Rodgers after he fell in the draft but otherwise stunk at drafting QBs. (6 QBS in 13 years). He did find a career backup in Matt Flynn. The jury is still out on Gute's pick of Love (2 QBs in 6 years) and the only other QB he drafted was Sean Clifford this year.

Brett Hundley : 2015 / Rnd. 5 ; 18 G / 9 GS
B.J. Coleman : 2012 Rnd. 7 ; No Recorded Stats on Pro-Football-Reference.com
Brian Brohm : 2008 / Rnd. 2 ; 3 G / 2 GS
Matt Flynn :2008 /Rnd. 7 ; 53 G / 12 GS
Ingle Martin : 2006 / Rnd.5 ; 1 G / 0 GS
Aaron Rodgers : 2005 / Rnd. 1 - Future HOF
Do not omit the great Tolzien.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they go 4 -3 over the last 7, they end up 8-9. They wont be picking 20th

If they go 11-0 over their last 11, they will be picking 32nd. So.. there's that.

I think the suggestion was they make the playoffs as a wild card and lose in the 1st round. Right now, 7-10 a possibility so, I'm still thinking they are in the 8-13 range. Still probably out of Alt territory from mocks I've seen.

I don't see a QB in their 2024 draft plans unless it is a flyer in the 4th+ round. Probably going to be heavy on OL, RB, S and the usual CB/DL guys thrown in.

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain Alt will not be there at 20. (Don't laugh, Packers are currently the 8th seed for the 7 team NFC playoffs.)
I don't think we'll be picking that low. I think we'll at least be within trade-up distance to have a shot at him. Luckily, he's not the only good LT prospect in this coming draft.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think we'll be picking that low. I think we'll at least be within trade-up distance to have a shot at him. Luckily, he's not the only good LT prospect in this coming draft.
With the teams development and the relatively equal level opposition of the remaining schedule after the next 2 weeks, I fully expect to end up drafting the 1st round in the same area as last season. 5-2 is a real possibility [as is 2-5.] Damn kids. Can't be predicted with any certainty.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the teams development and the relatively equal level opposition of the remaining schedule after the next 2 weeks, I fully expect to end up drafting the 1st round in the same area as last season. 5-2 is a real possibility [as is 2-5.] Damn kids. Can't be predicted with any certainty.
I think we're nearing a bit of a tipping point with this offense. It feels like they're about to really take off, but it's so hard to say given their youth. I could see them losing every game remaining on the schedule and I could also see them squeaking into the playoffs and stealing a wildcard win. Obviously, those would be the two extremes and your 2-5 more wins is most likely.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I concur...poor timing to see the Lions defense really. Would have loved to have our next two games flipped with the two after them. Lions and KC both have LEGIT defenses.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they go 11-0 over their last 11, they will be picking 32nd. So.. there's that.

Ok that's 1-0...10 more to go haha. I too thought 7-10 would line up with the parallels to Rodgers career. But it seems to me 4-3 is very possible if not likely at this point. 3-3 at minimum over the last 6 seems like a low estimate to me

Chiefs L
@Giants W
Buccaneers W
@Panthers W
@Vikings W
Bears W

The only team left on the schedule that would truly ve a surprising victory, would be the Chiefs. And if they somehow steal a win at Lambeau against the struggling Chiefs next week. Watch Out! Confidence will be soaring for this young team that would be on a 3 game winning streak. Heading into a cake portion of the schedule against some of the worst teams in the league

10-7

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok that's 1-0...10 more to go haha. I too thought 7-10 would line up with the parallels to Rodgers career. But it seems to me 4-3 is very possible if not likely at this point. 3-3 at minimum over the last 6 seems like a low estimate to me

Chiefs L
@Giants W
Buccaneers W
@Panthers W
@Vikings W
Bears W

The only team left on the schedule that would truly ve a surprising victory, would be the Chiefs. And if they somehow steal a win at Lambeau against the struggling Chiefs next week. Watch Out! Confidence will be soaring for this young team that would be on a 3 game winning streak. Heading into a cake portion of the schedule against some of the worst teams in the league

10-7
7 wins for the season was the target and hopefully we will get there. Do not read too much into one win against a division opponent who should win it soon. What surprised me is that the Packers seemed to look better playing an indoor game. Not sure why. They are a fast team that may enjoy the turf out of the elements. At times they looked good in Atlanta.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7 wins for the season was the target and hopefully we will get there. Do not read too much into one win against a division opponent who should win it soon. What surprised me is that the Packers seemed to look better playing an indoor game. Not sure why. They are a fast team that may enjoy the turf out of the elements. At times they looked good in Atlanta.

Rodgers was better indoors as well...not sure why either

We will get to 7 wins for sure...with the teams remaining on the schedule all being bad, including the Vikings with their "new" qb.

If they were to only win 2 of the final 6 games that would be a disappointment and a reversal of the direction the young team is currently trending. I dont see that happening. At minimum I see 3-3 with a real shot to be even better than that

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers was better indoors as well...not sure why either

We will get to 7 wins for sure...with the teams remaining on the schedule all being bad, including the Vikings with their "new" qb.

If they were to only win 2 of the final 6 games that would be a disappointment and a reversal of the direction the young team is currently trending. I dont see that happening. At minimum I see 3-3 with a real shot to be even better than that
The team really was not that far off if you look at the 4 very close losses. What is more frustrating is those losses came against sub par teams that the Lions either have crushed or would have crushed.

Reaction score
I think we're nearing a bit of a tipping point with this offense. It feels like they're about to really take off, but it's so hard to say given their youth. I could see them losing every game remaining on the schedule and I could also see them squeaking into the playoffs and stealing a wildcard win. Obviously, those would be the two extremes and your 2-5 more wins is most likely.
I see. We are either ascending or descending or in between. Broken correct me but I think what you are trying to say is we could win 0 games, 6 games, or 2,3,4,5 games. It’s a risky assessment but I’m forced to agree! :roflmao:

Sorry I couldn’t let that go! I will say looking at our schedule I could still see us split wins with KC/MN. Only because KC is shaky on O and MN is playing without Cousins. Although it’s looking more and more like our Vikings game will likely decide who gets a Wild Card this year.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts