Any interest in Caleb Williams for 2024?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jordan Love doesn't perform at least adequately and it results in horrendous record, is anyone interested in drafting Caleb Williams with a top 3 pick?

Caleb Williams 2022 USC Highlights

Instead of extending Jordan Love without a definitive commitment and belief in his abilities as the franchise QB, why not reset, and allocate the money to other skill positions, specifically the O-Lines and D-Lines for the 2024 season?

Any thoughts about next year's draft in the event it's a disastrous season for Green Bay Packers?

Reaction score
Absolutely yes, if all the conditions were met

It’s extremely rare we even get a top 3 type selection much less a chance to take the best choice at QB in any given draft.

Last edited:

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jordan Love doesn't perform at least adequately and it results in horrendous record, is anyone interested in drafting Caleb Williams with a top 3 pick?

Caleb Williams 2022 USC Highlights

Instead of extending Jordan Love without a definitive commitment and belief in his abilities as the franchise QB, why not reset, and allocate the money to other skill positions, specifically the O-Lines and D-Lines for the 2024 season?

Any thoughts about next year's draft in the event it's a disastrous season for Green Bay Packers?
1000 percent interested him or maye but Williams yes they will have 2 1st rounders and 2025 first they could get him if they want. Only if love sucks

Reaction score
1000 percent interested him or maye but Williams yes they will have 2 1st rounders and 2025 first they could get him if they want. Only if love sucks
Yes that sounds about right.
Hey Snoops it got me thinking there. It actually would not be too painful at all. We’d still likely have all our Day2-3 selections both in 2024-2025 and picking earlier rounds next year. We’d be clear of draft debt pretty quickly and that’s rare.

Scenario #2. Obviously if we had the #2 overall it’s a walk in the park for a team not QB needy at #1. Might be offering #2 + Jets pick and a couple of earlier Day3’s now and getting it over with. I say that because whoever has -#1 overall and backs up will still get a stab at the best #1 pick at “non-QB” which is very appealing imo. Plus they could trade back again for another QB needy team! From us, They’d pick up a Day 1 and a pair of 4ths without losing any draft authority. We’d still select in the 2024 draft at #34,#66 5th-7th plus have our full 2025 ammunition+ Caleb.

Our QB $ cap output would be also slightly better immediately.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take Caleb Williams in a heartbeat, based on what I know now. That could change by the end of the year, but I think it might be an even better option to do it. He seems to have all the tools to be a real NFL QB.

Reaction score
I'd take Caleb Williams in a heartbeat, based on what I know now. That could change by the end of the year, but I think it might be an even better option to do it. He seems to have all the tools to be a real NFL QB.
Pretty remarkable how he came into College for the Sooners losing to Texas and brought them from behind multiple scores to win.
Then he’s just blown it up ever since his transfer into a very respectable PAC-12 conference.

I’m all for giving Love his shot 1-2 years he’s deserved that. I’m also all for not being too stubborn at QB and going after the best man for the job. I still believe if we put Love in the right position and given some continuity around him he’ll be at least an average league performer.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not very likely with the Jets defense, that their pick would be high enough to have a shot at Caleb Williams. Trading up with the Packers late first would get us high enough either. But if the Jets suff we re a few defensive injuries and had a meltdown the pick would be worth a lot in trade. We could end up with a boatload of good picks - especially with next year looking like a strong draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's not very likely with the Jets defense, that their pick would be high enough to have a shot at Caleb Williams. Trading up with the Packers late first would get us high enough either. But if the Jets suff we re a few defensive injuries and had a meltdown the pick would be worth a lot in trade. We could end up with a boatload of good picks - especially with next year looking like a strong draft.
LOL at "trading up with the Packers late first". If you are saying that, you must be optimistic that the 2023 Packers are legit.

I picture the Packers finishing in the bottom 1-10 teams, with a slight chance of picking top 3. Add the Jets pick to that, which I think will be 15-25 range, they will have a lot of firepower. I hope they don't need to even consider drafting Williams, because Love shows he's legit. Then they can use those 2 decent first rounders to move around the first 3 rounds and pick up some more darts to throw.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL at "trading up with the Packers late first". If you are saying that, you must be optimistic that the 2023 Packers are legit.

I picture the Packers finishing in the bottom 1-10 teams, with a slight chance of picking top 3. Add the Jets pick to that, which I think will be 15-25 range, they will have a lot of firepower. I hope they don't need to even consider drafting Williams, because Love shows he's legit. Then they can use those 2 decent first rounders to move around the first 3 rounds and pick up some more darts to throw.
Like Marvin Harrison Jr?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine a world where the Packers and Jets first round picks are 1 and 2, in the first round, and you own them both!

If there was ever a season where you might want to see this team tank it, and the Jets show they have zero defense, so Rodgers looks good, team doesn't, this would be it.

That said, if Love actually does pan out, imagine the wealth of picks, and other potential you could get from a team that was desperate to get Williams. In fact, the first two picks could garner a few first rounders, along with various other level picks over a two year period. Talk about rebuild! Yowzer!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I dont understand the view that we are a bottom 10 team. We were middle of the pack last season with Rodgers playing average as a QB. We have improved at OL, WR, MLB and OLB. I think the defense will play better. I think the team will overall play better for Love. I think Love will play in the average area. He will play solid with a few wow plays and a few oops's. That will be good enough to have a better record. Should one of the TEs shock us, who knows. We could make the playoffs and make some noise.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I dont understand the view that we are a bottom 10 team. We were middle of the pack last season with Rodgers playing average as a QB. We have improved at OL, WR, MLB and OLB. I think the defense will play better. I think the team will overall play better for Love. I think Love will play in the average area. He will play solid with a few wow plays and a few oops's. That will be good enough to have a better record. Should one of the TEs shock us, who knows. We could make the playoffs and make some noise.
No doubt Aaron was "average", for him. However, I think even his average is going to be better than Love's first year as a starter. How the Packers do in 2023 hinge on Love and of course, injuries. I would view a .500 season as impressive. That said, I expect 3-6 wins, anything more, with Love playing well, would be great.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I planned on disagreeing with this until I started to gather my thoughts. To not let anyone down I do not agree with it entirely. OL- I am assuming you are figuring in healthy vets and improvement from younger guys. I get it. WR - I assume you are counting on Watson and Doubs to improve as they now have some NFL experience. They did lose Lazard whom I consider a loss, with the extras he brings. I originally thought of him as a big loss, but then decided that the Lazard with Love as QB probably wouldn't quite be the Lazard with AR at QB. MLB -OLB - Again I am assuming you feel Gary will be back healthy and still very good, the young guy will improve both physically and mentally and the 1st rounder will contribute. Personally I have always found it hard to hit a trifecta. I also believe the schedule is easier this year.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as the team playing better for Love, I can definitely see that happening early in the season. In pro sports that only goes so far. In a long grueling season the dream seems to rise to the top more often than not. As far as the defense, will they finally be able to stop the run, will the safety play be the achilles heel? Then add it the Barry effect. Now we get to Love. I have purposely not made any predictions on his 2023 performance, because I do not have a clue. I am sure I will chime in by opening day. I have stated the team would be better with AR at QB. Al I will say as of now is I would be both surprised and elated if Love and the team could put together a winning streak like AR and the team did last year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I planned on disagreeing with this until I started to gather my thoughts. To not let anyone down I do not agree with it entirely. OL- I am assuming you are figuring in healthy vets and improvement from younger guys. I get it. WR - I assume you are counting on Watson and Doubs to improve as they now have some NFL experience. They did lose Lazard whom I consider a loss, with the extras he brings. I originally thought of him as a big loss, but then decided that the Lazard with Love as QB probably wouldn't quite be the Lazard with AR at QB. MLB -OLB - Again I am assuming you feel Gary will be back healthy and still very good, the young guy will improve both physically and mentally and the 1st rounder will contribute. Personally I have always found it hard to hit a trifecta. I also believe the schedule is easier this year.
Yeah, that was how i was seeing it. The Love - Doubs connection is fairly strong. I think the speed with Reed and Watson should open things up a bit as well. The OLine was really banged up last season. Now healthy and Tom and Myers should both be better - I expect better play there. I also saw the defense playing more aggressively later in the season and having more success. Heard comments this year about the defense playing the same way in practice and looking even better. So I expect Berry must see what we all see and they to do much better this season on defense.

Of course the TE situation is not looking great in the short term. Can't expect too much from rookies. My best hope is Degaura gets used more by Love and Tyler Davis can be serviceable. Maybe by the end of the season Musgrave and Kraft will be providing some impact plays.

The DL is a question. I think that Wyatt will be good. Slayton will be solid. Maybe that's an improvement- I don't know. It's too much to ask for Wooden and Brooks to do much as rookies.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As far as the team playing better for Love, I can definitely see that happening early in the season. In pro sports that only goes so far. In a long grueling season the dream seems to rise to the top more often than not. As far as the defense, will they finally be able to stop the run, will the safety play be the achilles heel? Then add it the Barry effect. Now we get to Love. I have purposely not made any predictions on his 2023 performance, because I do not have a clue. I am sure I will chime in by opening day. I have stated the team would be better with AR at QB. Al I will say as of now is I would be both surprised and elated if Love and the team could put together a winning streak like AR and the team did last year.
Agree with all of this, with a slight twist.

I think the Packers would have been better, offensively with Rodgers in 2023, but still not good enough to make a run at a SB. That said, there is no doubt in my mind that the break-up had gained enough momentum in the last 3 years, that it was the best thing for Rodgers and The Packers for the short and long term. Rodgers gets a fresh slate in NY and the Packers get assets and cap space in return, for a reboot that was going to happen sooner, rather than later. Having it happen now, allows the Packers at least 2 years with Love, a guy they invested a 1st and a 4th rounder in. It also frees up a lot of cap space in the coming years, to hopefully improve the team elsewhere.

Reaction score
One thing I think we are not factoring enough is the number of players that should make their Year2-jump. Especially Tom, Sean Rhyan, Walker and Wyatt. They have had a strong start to Camp and each look starter worthy. I think Rhyan is actually our 7th best OL but he just needs to get Pro experience.
1. + Quay Walker was getting his footing last year and he’s due for what I’d call a more complete season. Campbell will hold his own
2. (Even) I think TJ will fill the Role of Reed without much noticeable difference.
3. + Wyatt is better than Lowry and he just needed 2 years in the playbook to get over his Rookie hump. He did the same thing at Georgia and then hit his stride year 2
4. - Ford will serve admirable again with just a minor dropoff from Amos. Although I think Savage can only go upward from 2022
5. + Enagbare in his 2nd year + a rotational guy like Van Ness. As we didn’t lose anything in depth imo with Cox and Wooden
6. + Gary will likely play in 10+ contests
7. (Even) CB play will include Stokes by mid season. J’aire, Rasul, 2nd year Nixon wash this group to similar.

TE (even) While we did lose a great blocker in Lewis and ok receiver in Tonyan, they were almost each 1 dimensional though. I think Musgrave + Kraft might be a tick downward in blocking. But the upside as Receivers is notable. Both could develop into very good TE’s quickly. We are much faster at TE right now and speed is really important in this league. Lumbering is no longer an option

QB -
Obviously QB is a minus. However we have to remember that 2022 was not peak Rodgers. At best he was middle of the league plus and a broken finger will do that.
Jordan Love should come in as a serviceable but unspectacular starter. As long as he’s in that top #25 ranking we’re fine. We don’t need a Zach Wilson and we also don’t really need an Aaron Rodgers. We need average, consistent play at QB. I think Love will grow as the year transpires into a middle of the league type starter by mid season or so.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thoughts. You didn't account for the dreaded sophomore jynx. Hopefully it won't be contagious & only 1 guy has it.

Reaction score
Good thoughts. You didn't account for the dreaded sophomore jynx. Hopefully it won't be contagious & only 1 guy has it.
Yeah that’s true.
That would obviously affect the players that are on the field the most. Doubs, Watson, Tom, Enagbare etc

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Rhyan is actually our 7th best OL but he just needs to get Pro experience.
Sean Ryhan is starting to look like another 3rd round flop. He never got on the field his rookie season for an offensive snap and spent the last 6 games suspended for PED's. It might take an excellent camp and preseason for him to even make the roster. If there are no injuries in the next month, Nijman is locked in at the #6 OL spot. So the I think the 7th and 8th spots are between Ryhan, Newman, and Hanson.

Ryhan seems to be a tweener. The size and athleticism of a T, but the arms and ability of a G. Newman and Hanson seem to have the upper hand on Rhyan, given their playing experience and position flexibility. So that might push Ryhan to the #9 spot, but he could be passed up by Walker, Jones or any of the other UDFA's or FA's that are currently on the roster.

Gute didn't even draft any offensive lineman this year, nor did he sign any FA OL starter. I could also see a scenario where Rhyan or maybe Newman or Hanson are traded for a 6th or 7th round pick.

Hoping Ryhan shows why the Packers spent such a high pick on him, but not holding my breath.

Reaction score
Sean Ryhan is starting to look like another 3rd round flop. He never got on the field his rookie season for an offensive snap and spent the last 6 games suspended for PED's. It might take an excellent camp and preseason for him to even make the roster. If there are no injuries in the next month, Nijman is locked in at the #6 OL spot. So the I think the 7th and 8th spots are between Ryhan, Newman, and Hanson.

Ryhan seems to be a tweener. The size and athleticism of a T, but the arms and ability of a G. Newman and Hanson seem to have the upper hand on Rhyan, given their playing experience and position flexibility. So that might push Ryhan to the #9 spot, but he could be passed up by Walker, Jones or any of the other UDFA's or FA's that are currently on the roster.

Gute didn't even draft any offensive lineman this year, nor did he sign any FA OL starter. I could also see a scenario where Rhyan or maybe Newman or Hanson are traded for a 6th or 7th round pick.

Hoping Ryhan shows why the Packers spent such a high pick on him, but not holding my breath.
Well Rhyan just had his way with Colby Wooden in Camp. He just looks and sounds different. I think it takes at least a season to acclimate there. I think he’s already shown by his being in better shape and better attitude he regrets some things last year. His potential is a good starter. Could be another year though and sometimes we get bottled up with players at 1 position. He’s a OG in my eyes. Imo he’s potentially one of the top 3 Run graders on this team, but needs to continue work on Pass Pro. I don’t want anyone getting hurt, but I think he’s better than Newman but that’s just my little old opinion there.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A dude that writes what he did on his fingers and behaves like he does I want ZERO PART OF. ZERO.

I struggled with Aaron’s divaness…..I’d straight up our QB if it is him and he doesn’t mature. I don’t need a Ja Morant type in GB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A dude that writes what he did on his fingers and behaves like he does I want ZERO PART OF. ZERO.

I struggled with Aaron’s divaness…..I’d straight up our QB if it is him and he doesn’t mature. I don’t need a Ja Morant type in GB.
Obviously, you deep dive into the personality of every draft pick, especially if you are considering spending a top 5 pick on him. I honestly don't know much about Williams personality, but the fingernail thing alone, doesn't really bother me. He explained it pretty well and for me, it isn't much of a red flag, more of a "this is a guy that goes out there and puts his game face on"...or game fingernails in this case.

Members online

Latest posts