aj hawk talk

NICKBARNETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
everywhere i go in this forum i find people talking bad about aj hawk and how he is to slow to cover. so i decided to compair his stats to bart scott ilb plays for arg best defense in the nfl.

aj hawk 2009 stats tackls-89 sacks-1 int-2

bart scotts 2009 stats tackles-92 sacks-1 int-0

james ferrior 2009 stats tackles-102 sacks-3 int-1

can we stop the trash talking on the guy?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. He ranked 40th in 2009 for all linebackers in total tackles and assists. While he hasn't been a top standout, he's been quite serviceable. There's nothing wrong with being very good.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree there is far too much Hawk bashing. He isnt the stud we all had hoped for when we drafted him, but he's still played some damn good football for us.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with you guys. While he hasn't completely lived up to the 1st round draft pick hype, he is easily a starter on just about any roster in the NFL. The guy works hard, doesn't have off the field problems, does lots of charity work, has a bad *** football name, and plays pretty well. WHats not to like?

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good linebackers are sometimes hard to come by. I think he was worth it as the high pick he was considering how many players turn out to be busts. AJ can play for almost any team in the league. Solid contributers are always needed to balance the superstars.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those interceptions were a gift from god. His coveraged skills are awful at best, thankfully the coaching staff has realized this. Bart Scott? Dude was an undrafted free agent! If he makes the team he has already over achieved. While its not AJs fault where he was drafted, he should be putting out Patrick Willis numbers

152 tackles 4 sacks 3 forced fumbles and 3 interceptions.

I will be the first one to admit im a hater on hawk, but think its stupid to suggest we trade him.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those interceptions were a gift from god. His coveraged skills are awful at best, thankfully the coaching staff has realized this. Bart Scott? Dude was an undrafted free agent! If he makes the team he has already over achieved. While its not AJs fault where he was drafted, he should be putting out Patrick Willis numbers

I will be the first one to admit im a hater on hawk, but think its stupid to suggest we trade him.

THIS is why we bash Hawk. I understand that he can't help his draft position, but as the 5th overall pick you expect a lot more. By your stats what it's telling me is that Hawk is playing similar to an UDFA in Scott. So what does that say about Hawk's value?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't say Hawk is a bust. As has been stated, he didn't choose where he got picked. So the Packers whiffed on the pick and got a good, solid and consistent player as opposed to an elite player. Seriously, what's the big deal? Why is this even an issue? Why do people want to make a mountain out of a mole hill out of AJ Hawk's draft postion?

I guess I don't understand the point in all the Hawk bashing, year in and year out. So he's good and not great and got taken too high. Big ****ing deal. He's still a solid and consistent contributor at the position, and last time I checked, there's nothing wrong with having good players on your roster.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Numbers don't mean **** in this case.

He's slow, he's not fluid, he doesn't disengage in blocks, he's not fast enough to cover one on one, he's got no ballhawking skills, he doesn't have a mean streak.

That being said, he's rarely out of position, he has an excelent stamina, he's one of the surest tacklers on the team...

He's a bust for a #5, but he's not a bad linebacker. He's good against the run, if he played like he did in his rookie year, with a chip on his shoulder, he could start in most teams...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we would have drafted lets say vernon davis he would have been off the team by now. There is no way GB would have put up with him, SF got lucky with singletary being the coach and willing to deal with his bs.

I think alot of team that drafted in the first round that year are disappointed.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did Hawk go from one of the fastest LBs when drafted to average speed now? Seems to me he's spent too much time in the weight room where his speed was replaced by strength. No linebacker can cover receivers forever, making the pass rush the most important factor in coverage, imo.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did Hawk go from one of the fastest LBs when drafted to average speed now? Seems to me he's spent too much time in the weight room where his speed was replaced by strength. No linebacker can cover receivers forever, making the pass rush the most important factor in coverage, imo.
Yes, I thought that was the problem. They changes the St&C approach last year, and it showed moderate results.

They changed it again this year... Let's hope it shows on the field in the form of burst and stamina, rather than muscular strenght...

OP
OP
N

NICKBARNETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score

what does undrafted matter? londen fletcher was undrafted he is one of the best lb in the league.pat willis numbers are for barnett to handle.
AJ HAWK IS FOR RUN SUPPORT THE PACKERS KNOW THAT I KNOW THAT U KNOW THAT WE HAD THE BEST RUN D IN THE LEAGUE SO SAY WHAT U WANT....

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what does undrafted matter? londen fletcher was undrafted he is one of the best lb in the league.pat willis numbers are for barnett to handle.
AJ HAWK IS FOR RUN SUPPORT THE PACKERS KNOW THAT I KNOW THAT U KNOW THAT WE HAD THE BEST RUN D IN THE LEAGUE SO SAY WHAT U WANT....

Whoa! You found the caps lock button on your computer! Now try and find the spell check.

Again if you read my post you should be able to understand what I meant by the draft position. Other posters seem to understand the point I made. When you draft someone like that at 5th you expect more than just run support. Again not Aj's fault he was drafted that high.

Barnett is a great player for us but he is no Willis.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe he and along with others of our front 7 are the root of our pass defensive problems, pass rush and pass coverage.

Stats are like statistics, they don't tell the whole story. I admit I am not a Hawk fan, but I have posted that Hawk and Jolly should not be on the field at the same time. With Hawk's skill set on a pass play he needs lineman that will draw a double team in front of him, Jolly may draw a double team on a run play, but will not get one on a pass.

The whole Hawk issue can be summed up last year at the lions game, 9 reps, enough said.

Hawk will get his tackles, after a 4 to 7 yard gain, just wish his tackles for a loss or for minimal gains was much higher. Thats the key stat. Make a play that forces the punt or sets up a 3rd and long.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I like AJ but he didn't really "Pan Out" for where we drafted him, he is not as good as nick barnett, and ILB is still a position of need for the pack in the coming years. I Dont mind having him in there as a rotation guy, a little rush up the middle and on run downs, But we should be drafting someone at that posistion soon here as well as CB those would probably be my needs for next year.

Members online

Latest posts