29th pick.. Eric stokes db

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looked like the entire starting secondary regressed last year over the first 10-12 games before Alexander turned in some great games down the stretch. Stokes' mediocre play was probably linked to poor coaching as much as anything. The linebackers and the d line didn't play much better either. That's why I'm alarmed that Joe Barry is coming back as the DC. His defenses were too soft and didn't put his talented players in a position to succeed.
Pretty much sums it up. I was actually surprised they didn't whack Barry when they were 4-8. He's over his head as a DC.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not impressed with the coaching, but wasn't it basically the same guys coaching that D and DB's last year as the year before? Why the regression? what were they coaching differently, it has to be something.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well GB has just a few hours to decide on Stokes right, for fifth year pick up or not correct? I think by May 2nd this has to be decided.

Roughly rounding it seems his fifth year would cost $12M in 2025 if we picked it up....he is costing $3.25M this year.

Could we do something similar to Love and not exercise a Fifth year option but do an extension which lowers GB's risk if he turns out healthy and gives him a touch more assurance/insurance if he doesn't deliver??

Could we look at a one year extension essentially giving him $6M each year? Depending how much or how we structure the bonus and such it would for sure put more money in his pocket now...lower our risk in future and keep a guy around that if the team does this I'd guess they feel quite strongly they at worst case have a capable CB3 type guy IF not more!

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd try to do that because if you don't you end up going CB CB in Round 1 and 2 next year when that 2nd round pick could be used for depth.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd try to do that because if you don't you end up going CB CB in Round 1 and 2 next year when that 2nd round pick could be used for depth.

I bet it is something both sides would consider doing and Love doing it sets a small precedent of this and Stokes no doubt saw that play out.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why I’d have done a similar approach like they did with love. Hedge your bets….if Stokes gets close to what he was his rookie year there is zero chance we pay what he’s gonna want and deserve.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Here's the full list of players who were declined their 5th yr option.... 4 of the 5 1st Rd QB's, (Trevor Lawrence)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why I’d have done a similar approach like they did with love. Hedge your bets….if Stokes gets close to what he was his rookie year there is zero chance we pay what he’s gonna want and deserve.
Stokes "earned" $11.925mil for a decent 2021, 2 injury-lst seasons, & whatever GB gets in '24. I'm very happy Gute didn't hand him a guaranteed $12.472mil for '25. Two out of last 3 years spent in the trainer's room or rehabbing, not a good track record.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And it wasn't all injuries. He did not look good against the deep ball. Probably just not a good pick.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And it wasn't all injuries. He did not look good against the deep ball. Probably just not a good pick.
He sure looked like a good pick after the first season. Didn't work as hard after becoming so rich? Who knows. Hope he pulls it together this year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He sure looked like a good pick after the first season. Didn't work as hard after becoming so rich? Who knows. Hope he pulls it together this year.
Yeah as I recall his rookie year was pretty good. I never saw him as weak against the long ball. I can't say I was watching either.

There's been some comments about giving him a 2-year deal as they did with Love. But Love didn't have the injury history. So make Stokes prove he belongs this year and run the risk he leaves in FA. That seems like a low risk. I just don't see committing to a two-year deal with him.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the full list of players who were declined their 5th yr option.... 4 of the 5 1st Rd QB's, (Trevor Lawrence)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Lol, and Zaven Collins I was wanting the Packers to draft. Exhibit A on why I'm a know nothing babbling fool when it comes to drafting.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah as I recall his rookie year was pretty good. I never saw him as weak against the long ball. I can't say I was watching either.

There's been some comments about giving him a 2-year deal as they did with Love. But Love didn't have the injury history. So make Stokes prove he belongs this year and run the risk he leaves in FA. That seems like a low risk. I just don't see committing to a two-year deal with him.
Agree. I think they at least need to see how he performs in this scheme early this season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stokes "earned" $11.925mil for a decent 2021, 2 injury-lst seasons, & whatever GB gets in '24. I'm very happy Gute didn't hand him a guaranteed $12.472mil for '25. Two out of last 3 years spent in the trainer's room or rehabbing, not a good track record.
I wouldn't have done the fifth year option - I think you misunderstood my post some. We agree more than not.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is we are handing Nixon CB2 nearly money and he hopefully won't even be on the defensive field that much lol.....I'd much rather pay an outside corner prospect that $6M a year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, and if someone gives him a pretty rich FA contract, you might get a decent Comp pick in return
There isn't a comp pick worth a real CB2 in the NFL IMO...while I would embrace a third round comp (highest possible) I don't envision that happening.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
There isn't a comp pick worth a real CB2 in the NFL IMO...while I would embrace a third round comp (highest possible) I don't envision that happening.
True, but Stokes may turn down or ask for a bigger offer from the Packers, and they may say, nope, that's to rich for their blood. Then some other team might say here you go, you never know.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course. I’ll just stand quite firm on better use of money in our secondary would have been not to give Nixon 6 a year and do the split extension to Stokes like we did Love and give him around $6M a year and not risk locking in a fifth year option at like $12M. Give stokes touch more guaranteed and next year have only like 2 or 3 of the 6 be guaranteed.

Doesn’t matter anymore, I wouldn’t be shocked if Stokes shows out and is healthy they should try to extend him possibly or trade like they did Douglas.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is we are handing Nixon CB2 nearly money and he hopefully won't even be on the defensive field that much lol.....I'd much rather pay an outside corner prospect that $6M a year.
I'm not convinced this makes much sense, but I heard someone on a radio show say today that keeping Nixon may mean Hafley intends to play a lot of big nickel this year and they expect to use Nixon a lot in that defense. But he didn't explain how that adds up, and I'm really not sure how "A" fits together with "B".

Does this make sense? What am I missing?

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much sums it up. I was actually surprised they didn't whack Barry when they were 4-8. He's over his head as a DC.
Frankly, I'm very glad they didn't. Obviously, something had to be done, but I'm glad they controlled their emotions and settled for simply firing the man.

He does have a family, after all.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frankly, I'm very glad they didn't. Obviously, something had to be done, but I'm glad they controlled their emotions and settled for simply firing the man.

He does have a family, after all.
And I don't think it makes sense to whack a coordinator or HC during the season, or at least not in most cases. The biggest reason isn't personal, it's that whoever backfills for a guy isn't likely to change things much. As much as I disliked MM at the end of his time in GB, he should have just finished the season.

MLF's mistake was bringing back Barry in the first place for year 3. It doesn't matter now.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matt Lafluer in press conference yesterday: "Stokes looks night and day from where he was a year ago."

Good to hear. He didn't have to say that. He wasn't specifically asked about Stokes.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.