29th pick.. Eric stokes db

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the position and trust they know more than I do on the player. I would have preferred Moehring or Samuel at the DB position.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Profile:

Overview

Depending upon scheme, need or preference, Stokes offers teams the potential to play him outside or from the slot. Speed and quickness should allow him to stay with route runners or within close-out distance when he gets behind. Stokes played with better press technique in 2020 and he's willing to get physical near the goal line, but his play strength is below average. While there have been mild flashes of playmaking potential, he's more likely to play the receiver rather than attacking the football and looking for takeaways. He's twitchy in tight quarters with the potential to become more disruptive in zone. His size, speed and athleticism could make him a Day 2 pick as a future CB3, but his weakness as a run defender will be challenged quickly by NFL offenses.

Strengths

Combination of speed/quickness to play inside or outside.
Occasional flashes of playmaking instincts.
Had two interception returns for touchdowns in 2020.
Poised through press release.
Stands his ground against physical targets.
Fights back against push-offs at the top of the route.
Celebrated high school sprint champ.
Can run with mismatch-caliber speedsters on crossing routes.
Hyper-twitchy with downhill drive to his target.
Plays into receiver when phasing downfield.
Potential for gunner duties on punt team.

Weaknesses

Slim lower body with lack of play strength.
Thinks "hands" before "feet" when matching release and breaks.
Doesn't fully trust what he sees yet.
Mostly "right place, right time" interceptions.
Takes extra steps on lateral transition from shuffle/pedal.
Tardy gaining playmaking positioning in coverage.
Below-average poise and balance downfield.
Opponents run through solo tackle tries.
Likely to be isolated and targeted by run games.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like world class speed. Played against tough competition. We needed more people back there. Probably a good pick. imho

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always count on you for positive vibes.
They passed on on Jeremiah owuso... they could have taken stokes in the 2nd or 3rd round... he ran a 4.25 only positive didn’t even have draft party expecting to be picked tonight lollll but nonetheless u can’t even say ur happy about that REACH

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I like the player, I just feel as if it's a bit of a reach. Not going to pretend to know more than the Packers on this one though. Obviously hope he becomes a player.

On another note, I'll bet Rodgers poured about 4 fingers on that selection.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They passed on on Jeremiah owuso... they could have taken stokes in the 2nd or 3rd round... he ran a 4.25 only positive didn’t even have draft party expecting to be picked tonight lollll but nonetheless u can’t even say ur happy about that REACH

Owuso isn't a need position AND he's over-hyped on every draft board I've seen I'm good NOT taking him and I'm an ND fan.

rdawsoniii

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrible pick. JOK would have been better and Stokes would have still been there in the second. Wasted pick......again.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those writing this off as pathetic or dumb are just being ignorant. Look I had Moehrig higher for sure here if I was going DB, but his measurables explode off the sheet and his RAS screamed GB.

Don't be shocked if his addition and King here allows us to float Jaire around far more than in the past.

His hip flip is impressive and while I see footwork issues compared to the top 4, his acceleration and speed minimize it some....refinement with technique could make this young man SCARY.

Personally I'd have went Barmore, Jenkins or Elijah but I understand the pick

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I like the player, I just feel as if it's a bit of a reach. Not going to pretend to know more than the Packers on this one though. Obviously hope he becomes a player.

On another note, I'll bet Rodgers poured about 4 fingers on that selection.

At the same time, imagine if a guy that ran a 4.2 was lined up across from Scotty Miller with 4 seconds left in the 2nd half of the NfCCG...

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think not getting a wide receiver, is pathetic, if Rodgers is gone, Adams is likely gone.

why spend 6.5million on King and draft his replacement by reaching in the first round, this team is about to find out how bad they are without HOF QB’s

Reaction score
It’s been a weird day. I don’t like this selection. Not at 29. I wish I could be excited we deserve that right now.
the silver lining. I’m really pleased we didn’t trade up for him.

the guy is fine. But We could’ve traded back into 35 range and he would’ve been there 95% chance.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
This reminds me a lot of the Gary pick. Stokes has undeniable talent, skill, and framework to be a terrific player with the right coaching. Gute obviously sees something special in him. I'll give the Packers the benefit of the doubt. Any time the team goes with a position of need, I try to keep an open mind that they selected the right player for that position. And in today's NFL, you can never have enough good corners.

Still though: 9 of last 10 first round picks for the Packers have been defense, the one exception being a quarterback that still hasn't seen the field. Curious historical approach.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Very much on brand.

Premium position-- check.

Size and athleticism-- check.

Relatively young-- check.

Definite Packers type of pick.

Most analysts had him as a day 1/2 bubble guy, so I don't know what people were expecting... Packers had the 29th pick.