29th pick.. Eric stokes db

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matt Lafluer in press conference yesterday: "Stokes looks night and day from where he was a year ago."

Good to hear. He didn't have to say that.
Good info, thx. If anything, coaches tend to hold back on that kind of praise - simply because they have nothing to gain. So that is good news.

And I’m sure Gluten had some indication on Stokes’ status pre-draft. There were a few priorities on defense. I was convinced he was going to trade up in round 1 to grab a CB. I’m glad he didn’t have to.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Matt Lafluer in press conference yesterday: "Stokes looks night and day from where he was a year ago."

Good to hear. He didn't have to say that.
I'm really hoping he has a great season. After the past 2 injury plagued years, to be going into this year fully healthy has to be great for him mentally, also.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really hoping he has a great season. After the past 2 injury plagued years, to be going into this year fully healthy has to be great for him mentally, also.
Good point. As fans we can be tough on these guys, but I'm sure no one wants to get back on the field more than an injured athlete. And especially a guy like Stokes - high draft choice, very good rookie year, 2 years injured.

And that surely would be great news for the Packers' defense.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stokes was the real deal in 2021. Hard to imagine all of that talent simply disappearing unless the injuries have slowed him down. Its not like he just benefitted from superb play all around him. He was put on an island and thrived. I hope Hafley brings out the 2021 Stokes. He deserves the comeback given all he's been through the last two seasons. If he does come back to the 2021 form, it would be nearly as big of an addition to the defense as getting Xavier McKinney.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The injury Stokes has is tough to bounce back from. To say he didnt lose a step remains to be seen.
That's fair. All of these corners with amazing speed in college start to slow down a little in the NFL. They have to rely on coverage skills from the snap, as it should be. Now ideally a fast corner can make up ground if he gets beat. So Stokes will be fine as long as he still knows how to cover, and I'm sure he does.

You're right though Lambeau, injuries take a toll on speed. That's the NFL I guess.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The injury Stokes has is tough to bounce back from. To say he didnt lose a step remains to be seen.
I think Valentine and Ballentine will give him plenty of competition. I expect Stokes to not have exactly the same speed he had 3 years ago. I hope he adapts to that well. Will be interesting to see how he performs in the preseason games.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Valentine and Ballentine will give him plenty of competition. I expect Stokes to not have exactly the same speed he had 3 years ago. I hope he adapts to that well. Will be interesting to see how he performs in the preseason games.
Yeah and the 7th round pick, Kalen King I think, looks like an interesting guy. He was talked about as first or second round talent, and then fell off the table last year. He has something to prove. That's good.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't assume that somebody that just turned 25 years old can't make a full recovery. If anybody can make a full recovery from an injury, it's an elite athlete that is very young. It remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised if Stokes is 100%. If Stokes were 35, I'd have my doubs, but he's young. Like speed, youth can't be taught.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't assume that somebody that just turned 25 years old can't make a full recovery. If anybody can make a full recovery from an injury, it's an elite athlete that is very young. It remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised if Stokes is 100%. If Stokes were 35, I'd have my doubs, but he's young. Like speed, youth can't be taught.
You and Pike make good points. First of all, Stokes did suffer some serious injuries, and yes, youth is very forgiving. That said, he plays in the NFL, which is very unforgiving.

He should be able to make a solid recovery. I don't know if these guys ever get back to where they were in their first year as far as health, but time is on his side. It will be interesting to see if his speed, especially acceleration are still mostly intact. I expect so.

Regardless, even a 90% rookie Stokes is better than most corners in the league. Like you guys, I just wanna see him back. The fact that corner was certainly not a priority in the draft (and I wrongly thought it would be) tells me that Gluten and MLF are feeling pretty good about their CB situation. It also gave them the luxury to go all in on safety - in FA and the draft - and it will be very impressive if that group recovers in one year. At the end of last season, the safety position was almost totally absent of any talent.

Anyway, here's to a great year for Stokes and the Packers.