2023 Round 1 Pick #13:Lukas Van Ness Edge

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Stadium was best place ever to hear (or not hear) the Anthem. The acoustics were amazing.
I was only there for the one hockey game where a fight broke out right after the Anthem. It was surreal, like something from one of the early Mad Max movies.

It's amazing that the upper deck held up. It was unreal, and really a little scary, how much it swayed when the fans got rocking - which was all the time.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Putting it mildly.
That's right where they built the United Center, right? If I remember they razed the stadium and put up the United Center. (Or they waited for a good gust of wind to knock down the stadium and then built.)

Like Fiserv it may have served to bring new business to the area, although that's a bad comparison. That had to be around 1995, plus or minus, when the UC went up? And it doesn't change the fact that Chicago has so many shooting deaths.

Let's put it this way, I never went back to see the UC. And after Pike's comment, I'm glad we made it back to Hoffman Estates alive that night we saw the Hawks play.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's right where they built the United Center, right? If I remember they razed the stadium and put up the United Center. (Or they waited for a good gust of wind to knock down the stadium and then built.)

Like Fiserv it may have served to bring new business to the area, although that's a bad comparison. That had to be around 1995, plus or minus, when the UC went up? And it doesn't change the fact that Chicago has so many shooting deaths.

Let's put it this way, I never went back to see the UC. And after Pike's comment, I'm glad we made it back to Hoffman Estates alive that night we saw the Hawks play.
WOW! I had my moments on the South Side. The Dan Ryan was a test of both faith and foolishness. Faith that I would get home in one piece. Foolishness that I just might get off on the wrong exit.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WOW! I had my moments on the South Side. The Dan Ryan was a test of both faith and foolishness. Faith that I would get home in one piece. Foolishness that I just might get off on the wrong exit.
Many years ago, we went to the Museum of Science and Industry on the south side, but right next to Lake Michigan. When we left we drove due west to get to 94 north. I forget the street, it was a main drag. even so, that was a terrifying ride, and in hindsight not very smart. We should have made our way north along the lake and picked up 94 in the loop.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That could very easily be a fatal mistake.
Driving the Dan Ryan itself is a risky proposition. Plenty of stray bullets flying around not to mention the *** clowns that are shooting at cars for fun down there.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you are still in one piece.
Lol, me and my buddy finally ran out into the middle of Madison St. and stopped a CTA bus heading east and got on, practically clinging to the bus driver all the way into the loop.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many years ago, we went to the Museum of Science and Industry on the south side, but right next to Lake Michigan. When we left we drove due west to get to 94 north. I forget the street, it was a main drag. even so, that was a terrifying ride, and in hindsight not very smart. We should have made our way north along the lake and picked up 94 in the loop.
And that is what is so terrific about Lambeau. I can park west of the stadium on the street or park in someone's driveway for a fee and walk safely to the stadium. No fear. No danger. It would be nice if it was like that everywhere.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That could very easily be a fatal mistake.
Driving the Dan Ryan itself is a risky proposition. Plenty of stray bullets flying around not to mention the *** clowns that are shooting at cars for fun down there.
Yikes, we took the Dan Ryan last time we drove up to Green Bay (for the Saints game). Unfortunately there's no good way to get there from Indiana.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LVN may be fine in coming seasons but he's another first round pick who makes no impact. That trend under Gute has really hurt the team. All of his first round picks seem to be projects.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LVN may be fine in coming seasons but he's another first round pick who makes no impact. That trend under Gute has really hurt the team. All of his first round picks seem to be projects.
Pretty good point. Who is the last first round pick who really made an impact? There must be one but I can't think of a name. Gary is a bonafide superstar but it took a few years. Walker and Wyatt don't look to be much more than just above average, at least not now.

Gluten just hasn't drafted well. That's just an opinion. I'm sure there are facts to the contrary. But look at the Lions. They took all those draft picks from the Stafford trade and turned them into gold. I think they got four quality starters just from the 2023 draft. It can be done.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right. I mean AJ Hawk and Matthews were out there in their first game all the time.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Wow, I knew LVN had a solid rookie campaign, but 6 sacks exceeded my expectations. I think he'll grow into a force, much like Gary. And Nick Bosa with 14 sacks as a rookie. Yikes. Gotta slow him down Saturday night. Thanks for the chart.