You snooze, you lose

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted this video in another thread but Capers pissed me off so much that i had to give it its own. Thoughts?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENvmq-rkVZc"]YouTube- Packers Capers sleeping in the press box![/ame]

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know what to make of this. Is fuel if things don't go well next year, against elite qbs.

I believe it'll be adressed internally.

And moreso, Capers' history is of declining after his first two seasons, he never won the SB, and there's a reason he wasn't employed or had another club interested in him.

His defense performed tremenduously well in the regular season, though, and he deserves credit.

But there has to be improvement in the passing D, specially against elite QBs...

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I AGREE at least Vanilla Bob stayed awake in all his games!

I love it - Bob Sanders! It seems like ages ago he was knee-deep in molding Green Bay into a very average defense. My - where has the time gone???

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I AGREE at least Vanilla Bob stayed awake in all his games!
Now we're comparing Capers to Cel. Sanders??? Let's not go that far...

However, Capers' inability of adapting this season was very similar to Sanders'.

When we lost the pass rush of the DL, Sanders was baffled.

And Capers' inflexible use of the zone coverage against old qbs that quickly got rid of the ball was very frustrating...

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we're comparing Capers to Cel. Sanders??? Let's not go that far...

However, Capers' inability of adapting this season was very similar to Sanders'.

When we lost the pass rush of the DL, Sanders was baffled.

And Capers' inflexible use of the zone coverage against old qbs that quickly got rid of the ball was very frustrating...

I'm not saying in any way that we should be comparing Capers to Sanders. But if you look at how we performed under these two coordinators, the packers have been playing better in coverage in Sanders scheme. All I'm suggesting is that they should go back and look at what they did right while playing under Sanders and incorporate that into their new defense.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not gonna sit here and burn The Dom at the stake. He doesn't have all the right tools at his disposal. Bigby, Hawk, Barnett, Bush....none of these guys are 3-4 material - maybe as back-ups, but we need a different breed. Which kills me to say, knowing TT is more than happy to neglect the O-line for another season and draft defense or receivers or QB's.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying in any way that we should be comparing Capers to Sanders. But if you look at how we performed under these two coordinators, the packers have been playing better in coverage in Sanders scheme. All I'm suggesting is that they should go back and look at what they did right while playing under Sanders and incorporate that into their new defense.
Because we have people more propense to the man coverage than the zone coverage.

And not only that, when the opposing qb is playing straightly 3 step drops and quick releases, you got to bump the receivers to delay the release of the qb, and let your pass rush get to him.

Capers didn't adapt...
I'm not gonna sit here and burn The Dom at the stake. He doesn't have all the right tools at his disposal. Bigby, Hawk, Barnett, Bush....none of these guys are 3-4 material - maybe as back-ups, but we need a different breed. Which kills me to say, knowing TT is more than happy to neglect the O-line for another season and draft defense or receivers or QB's.
I don't buy that. I do buy that some do some things better. Hawk is much better at stopping the run than defending the pass. So are Barnett and Bigby. Bush is just terrible at everything.

It's not a 3-4 4-3 thing IMHO. It's not like with Kampman. But it's more a balance thing. We need a more pass defense MLB, like Ruud. Capers needs to adapt better. Against teams that ran longer routes, and less experienced qbs, we did good. And against the run we did awesomely well.

But against quick routes, we didn't distrub the routes of the Wrs and didn't get to the QB on time.

As they weren't fooled by the zone blitzes, we didn't get to them...

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think hawk is particulary bad in pass coverge. That INT in the ravens game was an athletic play that you only see DB's make. Hawk has the ability but never uses it during necessary situations. I blame it on the coaching staff, Winston Moss has never really done a good job as an ILB coach and has managed to get by mostly because his players contribute with their own natural talent.

Staff online

Members online