You play GB General manager, pick 1 free agent to help us..

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My best TT impersonation has me targeting Chad Greenway , OLB, Minnesota Vikings.

I watched him at Iowa, was hurt his rookie year, but is definitely the OLB we need opposite #52....what say you?

I completely disagree. Chad Greenway is pretty much a version of A.J. Hawk, he's a classic 43 OLB, 34 ILB, Greenway can't rush the passer as a compliment to Clay Matthews. Greenway would play inside if he ever signed here (which he won't).

I would go with Larry Fitzgerald. I expect we'll lose James Jones to free agency, and Fitz would provide a TON of outstanding veteran leadership to guys like Nelson and Swain. Plus he's an absolute beast.

Larry Fitzgerald isn't a free agent.

---------------

Alright, my FA pickup would be Logan Mankins, he's the obvious choice here. We don't need Nnamdi Asomugha, our pass defense is already strong, and Sam Shields is developing, Asomugha would be a waste of money, we already have Jennings, Nelson, and Finley in the passing game so Rice wouldn't make sense. Mankins would provide arguably the best 1-2 punch at guard in the NFL and give us some badly needed left side push in the run game. Mankins would give us a new edge. No doubt he's the guy I would target.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand your rationale and actually agree with it. But still... I'm very confident MIN doesn't let him go. I will bet you a "like" when the decision comes.

I don't see Minnesota letting Rice walk. No need to dump a talented skill player that's not going to cost you a whole lot to keep.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I completely disagree. Chad Greenway is pretty much a version of A.J. Hawk, he's a classic 43 OLB, 34 ILB, Greenway can't rush the passer as a compliment to Clay Matthews. Greenway would play inside if he ever signed here (which he won't).

I agree. I don't think Greenway would be much of an upgrade. I'd rather draft a pass rushing OLB like we did Matthews, though we still have Walden, Zombo and Brad Jones.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell no on Vincent Jackson. Dude is one screw up away from a year long suspension. Chargers can keep him.

Scrabble (Asomougha) would be a good pickup, but personally I would go with Larry Fitzgerald. I expect we'll lose James Jones to free agency, and Fitz would provide a TON of outstanding veteran leadership to guys like Nelson and Swain. Plus he's an absolute beast.

LMAO, scrabble. I like that. can I steal that?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which isn't saying much...

Well, Jones got hurt early on, otherwise this would have been his second season in our system. IIRC, he had 7 sacks last season, in his rookie year.

Walden was a late season pickup thanks to our IR issues and Zombo was undrafted. Both did quite well.

Let's not forget, people weren't too high on Tramon Williams early on either. We all know how that turned out.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand your rationale and actually agree with it. But still... I'm very confident MIN doesn't let him go. I will bet you a "like" when the decision comes.

sounds good. hold me to it please.

I cant believe we are "betting" on a team who traded for a player they cut a month later.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you dont think he would command big money?

Nah, not really. His salary last year was $550k and he missed most of last season. Sure he'll get a bump over that, but he's not going to get top WR money.

PackersATW

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which isn't saying much...

How can you say that? You seen what the 2nd year did for other free agents in Capers system. Walden and Zombo will be that much better next season. Walden was NFL Defensive Player of the Week 17, how quickly we forget.

I would be stunned if Thompson used a first round pick for a OLB!

In limited action Walden really flashed potential and was most definately not terrible in the run or the pass. As he learns the scheme he will be that much more productive in Dom's system. I'd bet my bottom dollar he starts out of the gate next year.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Jones got hurt early on, otherwise this would have been his second season in our system. IIRC, he had 7 sacks last season, in his rookie year.

Walden was a late season pickup thanks to our IR issues and Zombo was undrafted. Both did quite well.

Let's not forget, people weren't too high on Tramon Williams early on either. We all know how that turned out.

I think all three of them at this point have no business starting next year in an ideal world. Dom Capers and the coaches did a great job masking their flaws, sadly a lot of fans don't seem to grasp that. Frank Zombo didn't play well in the SB, Erik Walden was terrible against the run and pass, and Brad Jones doesn't have pass-rush moves.

The NFL is a plug-n-play league, we did our best to cover up those players flaws within the system and with our great players. I'm not saying they're bad players, I'd just rather see a better player starting next year. Sure one of them could develop into something, who knows, but I don't really like any one of the three to be honest. Great back-up's though, no doubt. They all have a ton of work to do.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Mathias Kiwanuka DE/OLB big athletic pass rusher that could be well utilized in capers D, and he would be a reasonable price probably.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha
Can you say DEFENSE?

Why would you bring in Nnamdi Asomugha when you could stabilize the offensive line and run attack with Logan Mankins? Makes so much more sense considering our pass defense is already a major strength.

Not to mention Logan Mankins has only really played 5 seasons and has more in his legs. Asomugha has played 8 years and plays a position more prone to 'slowing down', etc.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walden was NFL Defensive Player of the Week 17, how quickly we forget.

I would be stunned if Thompson used a first round pick for a OLB!

In limited action Walden really flashed potential and was most definately not terrible in the run or the pass. As he learns the scheme he will be that much more productive in Dom's system. I'd bet my bottom dollar he starts out of the gate next year.

Who cares if Erk Walden was DPOW, it's a statistical award, he got some sacks, but he gave up plays in the passing game and struggled quite a bit in defending the run. He had one impressive game, and suddenly he's our future at LOLB? Please, if you believe that I have a time share to sell you....

People believe that Brad Jones, Frank Zombo, and Erik Walden are such good developmental players...they are all very average and flawed players at this stage. Everyone falls in love with whoever plays ROLB, it's no coincidence, Dom does a great job implimenting new players, and fans overrate their ability. I'm not saying those guys can't develop into something later, but just assuming their all going to take major steps forward and be stars for us is absurd.

LOLB is the biggest immediate need on this roster.

The bottom line is, it's clear our fanbase is falling in love with anyone that plays OLB opposite Clay Matthews. Our fans see Walden get 3 sacks, see Jones have a nice stretch at the end of his rookie year, see Zombo make a few plays, and instantly we believe they are future stars of the defense...Fans aren't adjusted to this scheme and the Matthews/Capers factor, Walden, Jones, and Zombo are likely career back-up's or average starters going into the future...I know it's not what a lot of people want to hear. Every time either of those players get a sack it's, 'I like that guy, he could have a bright future'...get real.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has to be Aso. With that secondary, we would be HIGHLY competitive for the next 4 to 5 years with defense alone. Woodson could do another 3 to 4 as a safety. Let Burnett sit back and learn. Shields, Woodson, Tramon, Aso, Collins... Best secondary in the league, by far.

And Calhoun Lambeau, is your avatar seriously what it looks like?? Maybe my eyes are getting bad at the ripe old age of 26, I dunno...

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has to be Aso. With that secondary, we would be HIGHLY competitive for the next 4 to 5 years with defense alone. Woodson could do another 3 to 4 as a safety. Let Burnett sit back and learn. Shields, Woodson, Tramon, Aso, Collins... Best secondary in the league, by far.

You'd be willing to give a 30 year old Nnamdi Asomugha $10-$13 million a season for 4-5 years when we could solve the only problem on our team (run-blocking) with Logan Mankins?

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You'd be willing to give a 30 year old Nnamdi Asomugha $10-$13 million a season for 4-5 years when we could solve the only problem on our team (run-blocking) with Logan Mankins?

Yes, I would, because you're not getting Mankins. He will be franchise tagged by the Pats. They've already said it.

And we've got a team that can win RIGHT NOW. I'd roll the dice with a guy of his caliber that, as said, can shut down an entire half of the field, and maybe we can bring a couple more trophies home in the next few years.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That kind of skipped my mind that he will be franchised. My guess is that the Patriots will try to trade him considering it doesn't seem as though they will be a ble to sign him to a long-term deal.

Assuming Mankins is off the table I'd go for a lower level FA, since it makes no financial sense to sign Nnamdi Asdomugha to a monster deal, we simply don't have the money for him, we already have a lot of money allocated to players. If this were a Madden 11 situation, sure, but in reality we don't have the money for a top flight FA.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares if Erk Walden was DPOW, it's a statistical award, he got some sacks, but he gave up plays in the passing game and struggled quite a bit in defending the run. He had one impressive game, and suddenly he's our future at LOLB? Please, if you believe that I have a time share to sell you....

People believe that Brad Jones, Frank Zombo, and Erik Walden are such good developmental players...they are all very average and flawed players at this stage. Everyone falls in love with whoever plays ROLB, it's no coincidence, Dom does a great job implimenting new players, and fans overrate their ability. I'm not saying those guys can't develop into something later, but just assuming their all going to take major steps forward and be stars for us is absurd.

LOLB is the biggest immediate need on this roster.

The bottom line is, it's clear our fanbase is falling in love with anyone that plays OLB opposite Clay Matthews. Our fans see Walden get 3 sacks, see Jones have a nice stretch at the end of his rookie year, see Zombo make a few plays, and instantly we believe they are future stars of the defense...Fans aren't adjusted to this scheme and the Matthews/Capers factor, Walden, Jones, and Zombo are likely career back-up's or average starters going into the future...I know it's not what a lot of people want to hear. Every time either of those players get a sack it's, 'I like that guy, he could have a bright future'...get real.

How can you give Zombo such a definitive grade at this stage in his game? My guess is he'll work with Clay this offseason giving him more experience, more knowledge, and the biggest thing... more size/strength. He really does look like a flabby kid playing out there. If he gets bigger, stronger, and faster (ironically quoting a steroid documentary), he is definitely going to turn heads.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell no on Vincent Jackson. Dude is one screw up away from a year long suspension. Chargers can keep him.

Scrabble (Asomougha) would be a good pickup, but personally I would go with Larry Fitzgerald. I expect we'll lose James Jones to free agency, and Fitz would provide a TON of outstanding veteran leadership to guys like Nelson and Swain. Plus he's an absolute beast.

What's the situation with Fitz? He gets along extremely well with Jennings (via the WR camp I believe?). He seems like a guy that would sacrifice $$$ for a shot at SB Championship.

And he'd be great for our WR core like you said. The guy is a classy, stand-up guy. What many might not know is he could be our MONSTER WR.... physically... the guy is 6'4 with a ridiculous vertical! I didn't know that till 2-3 months ago! I thought he was 6'1/6'2 at most!

EDIT: He's 6'3. Whoops. Vertical makes up for it.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Or it could be the fans are falling in love with the idea of sticking with the draft and develop formula that works for us and won us a Super Bowl.

Jones was a 7th round pick, Zombo was an undrafted free agent and Walden was a street free-agent picked up in the middle of the season. Of course those guys are going to be developmental guys. All three have shown tremendous promise and all three have much more upside potential than downside potential. I don't see this as our biggest draft need.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's the situation with Fitz? He gets along extremely well with Jennings (via the WR camp I believe?). He seems like a guy that would sacrifice $$$ for a shot at SB Championship.

And he'd be great for our WR core like you said. The guy is a classy, stand-up guy. What many might not know is he could be our MONSTER WR.... physically... the guy is 6'4 with a ridiculous vertical! I didn't know that till 2-3 months ago! I thought he was 6'1/6'2 at most!

EDIT: He's 6'3. Whoops. Vertical makes up for it.

Actually, I goofed as Fitz isn't a free agent. He'll be a free agent next season. He's currently still under contract, due $7Mill this season.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, I goofed as Fitz isn't a free agent. He'll be a free agent next season. He's currently still under contract, due $7Mill this season.

I'd give AZ Grant (Tim Hightower is mediocre), a 3rd round and my 1st unborn son for Fitz. I doubt TT would though...