You are the new GM what now

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I believe going into the next year, they are $25M under. You could in theory release Matthews, Shields and Starks and gain another 32M for $57M. Not sure that is badly messed up.

Packers have 99 problems, but a cap issue ain't one.

Totally agree on the Cap. This is one aspect of the job that TT, along with Russ Ball has managed quite well. If anything, TT has been too conservative in his approach that seems like he is saving for a rainy day that never happens.

I would be surprised to Sam Shields not cut. Starks being on the team will depend on the next 7 games and Matthews, well.....his current salary my end up keeping him on the team, because nobody else will want to touch it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I agree with not using hindsight to evaluate Matthews deal there's no way the Packers should be fine with him counting $15.2 million towards the cap next season the way he has played recently.

Oh, I totally agree with you Captain! But that is a future decision that still has to be made, much like the Sitton one. I'm not trying to absolve TT for making incorrect personnel decisions during his tenure, he has, just like every other GM in the NFL. But the signing of Matthews in 2013 wasn't one of them IMO. All we can hope for is Matthews and his agent actually sitting down with the Packers and saying "you know what, lets restructure this deal to keep Clay in GB for what he is actually worth." Otherwise, I have a feeling the smart move may just be to take the $4.1 M + cap hit and spend the $15.2 M + savings on other players.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time for Elliot Wolf to put his stamp on this organization. Bite the bullet and eat some dead money to get out from underneath a few big contracts (Shields and CM3). Can NEVER have enough cap room IF there's a GM willing to selectively use free agency for depth and fill glaring holes.

NEED a mix of FA & draft to bolster the talent on this team. In '17 Peppers is gone, CM3 should be released to save $5.5Mil in cap and only OLB's I'd want to keep is Fackrell. If an OLB can't get to the QB they're not an effective 3-4 OLB.

Richard Rodgers & Perillo can go, with FA blocking TE picked-up and Cajuste & a draftee receiving TE coached-up.

Re-sign Lang & keep this starting OL together for at least another year for "stability" purposes, but Barkley needs to go and young OG/OC plays-angry "mauler" drafted. Spriggs & Murphy (and a UDFA or 2) can battle for backup RT & LT status and actually be ready to jump in if needed in '17 and/or claim RT spot from Bulaga outright.

Spend some $$ on a #1 CB, Randall & Rollins may be decent #2/#3 guys but need 1. For his own good and cap Shields needs to be retired.

Identify what type of RB is wanted - small(er) home-run threat, big bruiser, workhorse 220 lb'er with some of both? Starks is done, Lacy ate his way off of the team. If a first or 2nd rounder is necessary get that RB into camp (Fournette, McCaffrey, Chubb, Freeman, Perine, Gallman)??

D-line has sufficient personnel and talent but need a coach to teach them hand-usage and a couple of pass rush moves besides bull-rush. With ANY line pressure this D would look a lot better but opposing QB's usually have a clean pocket and 3+ seconds to find a receiver. :(

D

Deleted member 6794

In '17 Peppers is gone, CM3 should be released to save $5.5Mil in cap and only OLB's I'd want to keep is Fackrell. If an OLB can't get to the QB they're not an effective 3-4 OLB.

The Packers would save $11.1 million in cap space by releasing Matthews. With outside linebacker being an important position in a 3-4 I wouldn't feel comfortable entering next offseason only having Fackrell under contract. I wonder if there's a chance the Packers fire Capers and move back to a 4-3 defense next season though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if there's a chance the Packers fire Capers and move back to a 4-3 defense next season though.
Considering we don't have a lot of good 3-4 pieces this would be a great time to switch to 4-3. Current linebackers may be better suited, anyway.

D

Deleted member 6794

Considering we don't have a lot of good 3-4 pieces this would be a great time to switch to 4-3. Current linebackers may be better suited, anyway.

It might be easier drafting for a 4-3 defense as well as college teams predominantly use that scheme.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Agreed. 3-4 has been more of a headache than what it has produced.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If a new GM is brought in, I can only envision everyone below him pretty much being gone as well. Possibly a positions coach or two would be rehired (Campen for example) but I think it would virtually be a clean sweep of everyone. Whoever hires the new D coordinator, I think would already pretty much have made the decision whether the Packers will continue playing a 3-4 or switch to a 4-3 and then hire the guy who they think is best suited to coach it. While I like the 3-4, I have never been overly impressed with what the Packers have done with 2 key components of it, the ILB's. Martinez has the makings of a decent Middle linebacker in a 4-3, who do you put on the other sides of him? Perry and/or Jones if resigned?

D

Deleted member 6794

Martinez has the makings of a decent Middle linebacker in a 4-3, who do you put on the other sides of him? Perry and/or Jones if resigned?

Perry and Jones would line up at defensive end in a 4-3 but aren't a fit to play linebacker in the scheme.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think both schemes might be a bit "stale" and with the lack of numerous "power run" offenses (from the 40's-90's) and increase in QB-driven passing attacks maybe a new defense is required? More teams are using a 3-4 with one of the LB's being big, hard-hitting safety (Mark Barron, Bucannon, Chancellor, Killebrew, Neal)... so it's more of a 3-3-5.

Not sure that 4 DL's is necessary or effective, so 3 DL's and 3 LB's with a couple of outside CB's and then the rest Safeties for coverage, run-fill, and blitzing. All need to be able to tackle, but a couple of bigger run-stuffers and TE/RB coverage guys and a couple CB-helping coverage guys.

With a couple of 340+ lb'ers inside we could go to 2-4-5 exclusively. John Jenkins is out there right now and maybe Eddie Lacy by next year? :D

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might be easier drafting for a 4-3 defense as well as college teams predominantly use that scheme.

I've heard the opposite that drafting for 3-4 is easier since the pool of pass rushers is bigger. There are an abundance of college pass rushers who play DE who are not big enough to be NFL DE so they make the transition to 3-4 OLB.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've heard the opposite that drafting for 3-4 is easier since the pool of pass rushers is bigger. There are an abundance of college pass rushers who play DE who are not big enough to be NFL DE so they make the transition to 3-4 OLB.

I believe most pass rushers excelling at defensive end in a 4-3 in college could play the position in thr NFL as well.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If im GM im getting my QB something Elite to throw too or Hand off too.
*Brees- M. Thomas
B. Cooks
M. Ingram
*Brady- R. Gronk
J. Edelman
M.Bennett
*Big Ben-A. Brown
M. Wheaton
L. Bell
S. Coats
*Eli Manning- OBJ
*Romo- Dez Bryant
*Matty Ice- J. Jones
M. Sanu
D. Freeman
T. Coleman
*Russel Wilson-Jimmy Graham
Am I missing someone??

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Brees- M. Thomas
B. Cooks
M. Ingram
Brady- R. Gronk
J. Edelman
M.Bennett
Big Ben-A. Brown
M. Wheaton
L. Bell
S. Coats
Eli Manning- OBJ
Romo- Dez Bryant
Matty Ice- J. Jones
M. Sanu
D. Freeman
T. Coleman
Russel Wilson-Jimmy Graham
Am I missing someone??

Prescott - Elliott, Bryant and one solid OL

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez has the makings of a decent Middle linebacker in a 4-3, who do you put on the other sides of him? Perry and/or Jones if resigned?

No one.

3-4 OLBs are suddenly 4-3 defensive ends if we switch. The two ILBs in a 3-4 become the WOLB and MLB in a 4-3.

The only person who might project would be Matthews, as SOLB in a 4-3 looks a lot like 3-4 OLB--mug the tight end and hold contain. Then, when you go nickel, pull the NT and put Matthews at rush end.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has messed up the salary cap so badly that a turnaround is out of the question. The Packers have no choice but to trade Rodgers and go into nuclear winter. TT pissed away nearly a quarter if the salary cap on Shields, Bahktiari and CM3, guys who never stay healthy. in fact next week that quarter of the cap may be completely awol. TT has locked up a huge chunk of the cap in nearly no production.That's a recipe for being the next Cleveland Clowns. The losing that we are seeing this season is a harbinger of things to come for the next 3-5 years at a minimum. TT has run the organization into the ground so no matter who comes next to try and fix the train wreck, their hands will be tied behind their back.
Ted Thompson has some shortcomings, but cap management. is definitely not one of them.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*Brees- M. Thomas
B. Cooks
M. Ingram
*Brady- R. Gronk
J. Edelman
M.Bennett
*Big Ben-A. Brown
M. Wheaton
L. Bell
S. Coats
*Eli Manning- OBJ
*Romo- Dez Bryant
*Matty Ice- J. Jones
M. Sanu
D. Freeman
T. Coleman
*Russel Wilson-Jimmy Graham
Am I missing someone??

Mike Williamsssssssssssssssss
been tooting his horn for a long time now lol
he's maybe played himself out of reach of a #12-15 range pick though :(
but gat dangit, i wanna see what rodgers can do with an elite receiver

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm as unhappy as many right now with what we are getting out of Matthews compared to what we are paying him, but that is the nature of the NFL. When Clay signed his $66 M contract in 2013 he was one of the premier defensive players in the NFL and I don't recall a lot of people ******' and moaning back then about having him on the team. This is yet another example of people wanting to backpedal and use hindsight to blame TT for what they now want to label a poor decision. If the Packers could use hindsight to make all of their decisions, their roster would be filled with just about every top NFL player that was available to be drafted by the Packers at the time, none of them would be injured and they would all be elite team players with no off field issues.

I think Clay might still be injured :unsure:

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let everyone know they're under review for the rest of the season.

Once season is over fire McCarthy & his ENTIRE staff. Hire a new young innovative coach.
Cut ties with Clay. Go make you commercials with another team. We need a player who can actually help our team.
Sign a Free Agent or 2 in the off-season. Listen to my scouting staff & make free agent additions during the season as needed!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a new GM is brought in, I can only envision everyone below him pretty much being gone as well. Possibly a positions coach or two would be rehired (Campen for example) but I think it would virtually be a clean sweep of everyone. Whoever hires the new D coordinator, I think would already pretty much have made the decision whether the Packers will continue playing a 3-4 or switch to a 4-3 and then hire the guy who they think is best suited to coach it. While I like the 3-4, I have never been overly impressed with what the Packers have done with 2 key components of it, the ILB's. Martinez has the makings of a decent Middle linebacker in a 4-3, who do you put on the other sides of him? Perry and/or Jones if resigned?

I'm not sure why but I find it hysterical that the example you gave for the position coach to be possibly rehired is Campen. I don't know if it was truly a random example or if you somehow subconsciously think he should be retained (I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with that by the way) but it just seems to me that he was the Jarret Bush of the coaching staff not to long ago. The line is playing better and he may be a big reason for it that's why I said I don't necessarily agree or disagree with keeping or releasing him. I just thought it was a strange example given his history.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Clay might still be injured :unsure:

Is he? ;) I think what most people, including myself, are frustrated with in regards to Clay is that he even when healthy, which seems like isn't often enough, is he earning what he is being paid?

I'm not sure why but I find it hysterical that the example you gave for the position coach to be possibly rehired is Campen. I don't know if it was truly a random example or if you somehow subconsciously think he should be retained (I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with that by the way) but it just seems to me that he was the Jarret Bush of the coaching staff not to long ago. The line is playing better and he may be a big reason for it that's why I said I don't necessarily agree or disagree with keeping or releasing him. I just thought it was a strange example given his history.

I of course was randomly throwing out a name, knowing someone might think at least one of our current position coaches is pulling their weight. Mike Trgovac might be another one. However, out of all the position coaches that are currently employed by the Packers, Campen seems to be doing his job. Would be nice to have better run blocking, but not sure if that is on Campen or the players.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts