You are the new GM what now

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand, it's there to smooth out the massive cap hit team's would take in the first year of a mega-contract. The dead money issue, to me, is a penalty for trading or releasing a player before the 'spread' years are accounted for, which is an intentional move by the team. I certainly don't think it unfair to allow the penalty to be waived in the case of a medical retirement, the fault of neither the team nor the player.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand, it's there to smooth out the massive cap hit team's would take in the first year of a mega-contract. The dead money issue, to me, is a penalty for trading or releasing a player before the 'spread' years are accounted for, which is an intentional move by the team. I certainly don't think it unfair to allow the penalty to be waived in the case of a medical retirement, the fault of neither the team nor the player.
I see your point, but I just look at that as a gamble the team takes and they know this when they sign the contracts.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see your point, but I just look at that as a gamble the team takes and they know this when they sign the contracts.
Furthermore, in the case of Shields, we have no idea what is even going to happen.. Tiny chance he returns and plays next year... much bigger chance he is gone... but how? He may want to return, but the Packers may wisely say no thank you and release him to everybody's benefit. Or, he may simply retire. It would be pretty hard to reconcile those possibilities with a cap forgiveness as you suggest.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're paying Adams too much money even if he's only get federal minimum wage to drop passes, especially touchdowns, if I'm GM...Adams goes

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We're paying Adams too much money even if he's only get federal minimum wage to drop passes, especially touchdowns, if I'm GM...Adams goes

Seriously?

Ok...find me another player, that you would (and could) replace him with, making the same or less with these stats:

75 catches
997 yards
13.3 ave.
12 TD's

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Seriously?

Ok...find me another player, that you would (and could) replace him with, making the same or less with these stats:

75 catches
997 yards
13.3 ave.
12 TD's
Wish Davante had gotten 3 more yards. From now on the nitpickers will use those yards to always correct people that say he's a thousand yard receiver.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb either restructures or he's trade bait. I said this weeks ago. Allison may not be as nimble or shifty? but he's picked up Cobbs production just fine. Not to mention Cooks is coming along in the offense so there's more production. I just don't see paying him like a#1 when he's clearly a slot guy who is often injured. Great return guy but I can't justify 11 or 12 million.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with not using hindsight to evaluate Matthews deal there's no way the Packers should be fine with him counting $15.2 million towards the cap next season the way he has played recently.

In the last 4 season Matthews has notched double digit sacks just once. Granted one of those years involved Clay playing almost exclusively at ILB and another was the result of him receiving a good deal of attention. Speed finesse guys are susceptible to sliding guards over to take away the outside rush.

Conclusion, Clays down production is part of a long term trend. A late career reversal might be possible but I wouldn't bet on it.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb either restructures or he's trade bait. I said this weeks ago. Allison may not be as nimble or shifty? but he's picked up Cobbs production just fine. Not to mention Cooks is coming along in the offense so there's more production. I just don't see paying him like a#1 when he's clearly a slot guy who is often injured. Great return guy but I can't justify 11 or 12 million.

You cant trade Cobb with that contract.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spend some $$ on a #1 CB, Randall & Rollins may be decent #2/#3 guys but need 1. For his own good and cap Shields needs to be retired.

D-line has sufficient personnel and talent but need a coach to teach them hand-usage and a couple of pass rush moves besides bull-rush. With ANY line pressure this D would look a lot better but opposing QB's usually have a clean pocket and 3+ seconds to find a receiver. :(

You won't find a number 1 CB in FA and you won't draft a day 1 starter on the back end of the first round. Attention should definitely be paid there within the first 3 rounds but bear in mind that we shouldnt pass too much judgment on Rollins and Randall right now. Young players frequently struggle when they're thrust into positions of greater responsibility. I would say that both players are having the sort of year that Adams had last year. Not only are they struggling from a confidence standpoint but both have struggled with nagging injuries, we cant sit them them and let them heal because we're already short from a depth standpoint.

That being said yes draft another CB high in the draft and make it a dog fight for those top two cornerback spots.

I really think the D-line is fin. The trouble is that we haven't had healthy OLBs. Perry played like a top flight pass rusher when healthy and he's missed games. It's the same story with Clay Matthews.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You won't find a number 1 CB in FA and you won't draft a day 1 starter on the back end of the first round. Attention should definitely be paid there within the first 3 rounds but bear in mind that we shouldnt pass too much judgment on Rollins and Randall right now. Young players frequently struggle when they're thrust into positions of greater responsibility. I would say that both players are having the sort of year that Adams had last year. Not only are they struggling from a confidence standpoint but both have struggled with nagging injuries, we cant sit them them and let them heal because we're already short from a depth standpoint.

That being said yes draft another CB high in the draft and make it a dog fight for those top two cornerback spots.

I really think the D-line is fin. The trouble is that we haven't had healthy OLBs. Perry played like a top flight pass rusher when healthy and he's missed games. It's the same story with Clay Matthews.

Matthews spends do much time stuck to the tackle. Perry had more of an impact with one hand.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews spends do much time stuck to the tackle. Perry had more of an impact with one hand.

Teams like to slide guards towards Matthews side, it's not exactly a double team but by providing inside help the OT can cheat more outside. If you watch the games you'll notice that whenever Matthews does go inside there's a guard right there. Perry being a bigger stronger man is able to take more direct routes towards the QB, even with just one hand. Perhaps Matthews should bulk up a bit.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Teams like to slide guards towards Matthews side, it's not exactly a double team but by providing inside help the OT can cheat more outside. If you watch the games you'll notice that whenever Matthews does go inside there's a guard right there. Perry being a bigger stronger man is able to take more direct routes towards the QB, even with just one hand. Perhaps Matthews should bulk up a bit.
Wo clay, Perry does nothing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's almost as if this is a team game and it requires your best pieces on the field working together for the team to be successful. Like a good offensive line helps the qb be better and a good qb can help his offensive line out by moving sliding, escaping pocket or just getting the ball out quickly.

A good offense helps a defense and visa versa. A good OLB on the right side and on the left side can make each side better than they'd be in their own. I think we might be on to something

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's almost as if this is a team game and it requires your best pieces on the field working together for the team to be successful. Like a good offensive line helps the qb be better and a good qb can help his offensive line out by moving sliding, escaping pocket or just getting the ball out quickly.

A good offense helps a defense and visa versa. A good OLB on the right side and on the left side can make each side better than they'd be in their own. I think we might be on to something

Can't remember off hand. Who was the guy on the other side when Matthews was a beast?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Frank zombo and Eric Walden
And they both have next weekend off. Zombo because his team has a bye.
Walden because his team sucked. I'll take his 6 sacks/year since he left GB anytime. Plus his durability in starting 14-16 games every year since leaving. A healthy plow horse will get you there sooner than a lame thoroughbred.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Walden has played pretty well since leaving Green Bay and he had a great year with his 11 sacks. He could be an UFA, anyone think TT will be kicking his tires in the off season? Not me.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walden has played pretty well since leaving Green Bay and he had a great year with his 11 sacks. He could be an UFA, anyone think TT will be kicking his tires in the off season? Not me.

lol he's fine just a long as Kaepernick isn't on the field lol he does know Capers system but he ain't coming back to Green Bay.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
3 people disagreed with my post. Know what that tells me? 3 people know nothing.
No..

Why is it people can't answer actual questions when asked instead of deflecton? Because they don't have an answer that is logical and don't want to look silly

So he asked if you can find someone with those stats for sale or cheaper contract...

Then find out how many drops they have.

Members online

Latest posts