You are the new GM what now

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1Fire the ENTIRE coaching staff. Josh Mcdaniels tell me what resources you need to get you on board.

2. Restructure Clay Matthews or trade him. But no way am I paying him 15-17 million dollars in 2017. If none of those options work I'll save 22 mil by cutting him outright. It's been real #52

3. Cut Sam Shileds. This is a health decision, and smart business. We save 9-10 mil.. I'm not responsible for the risk of his mental health. Win/win. Bye Don Barclay you shouldn't even be on an NFL roster.. Bye Dhaytone jones, bye Micah Hyde, bye Richard Rodgers, bye Eddie Lacy, by James Starks, bye Goodson, bye Gunter, Morgan Burnett and Brian Bulaga...Spriggs will do just fine at tackle once he gets experience and Brice can run and hit for about 6 million dollars less just as better. Haha is ready to lead the secondary.

Trade for Joe Hayden, resign Nick Perry, resign Peppers, re sign Cook, and Tretter.
I'm looking hard at quality free agents for the secondary, rb, wr, and d line.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1Fire the ENTIRE coaching staff. Josh Mcdaniels tell me what resources you need to get you on board.

2. Restructure Clay Matthews or trade him. But no way am I paying him 15-17 million dollars in 2017. If none of those options work I'll save 22 mil by cutting him outright. It's been real #52

3. Cut Sam Shileds. This is a health decision, and smart business. We save 9-10 mil.. I'm not responsible for the risk of his mental health. Win/win. Bye Don Barclay you shouldn't even be on an NFL roster.. Bye Dhaytone jones, bye Micah Hyde, bye Richard Rodgers, bye Eddie Lacy, by James Starks, bye Goodson, bye Gunter, Morgan Burnett and Brian Bulaga...Spriggs will do just fine at tackle once he gets experience and Brice can run and hit for about 6 million dollars less just as better. Haha is ready to lead the secondary.

Trade for Joe Hayden, resign Nick Perry, resign Peppers, re sign Cook, and Tretter.
I'm looking hard at quality free agents for the secondary, rb, wr, and d line.

I actually somewhat like Gunter if hes not a number 1.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I actually somewhat like Gunter if hes not a number 1.

Agreed. Young guy, seems to have decent reaction time, likes to hit, but isn't a #1 CB. I think he will also keep getting better, but being pressed into being the #1 CB this year wasn't what he was ready for.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the 3/4 versus 4/3 question, doesn't seem like the wave of the future is essentially 4/0/7? What exactly can a linebacker do that a very physical safety cannot do? You need guys up front to battle the offensive line and hopefully pressure the quarterback. Then you need to cover receivers and prevent runners from getting meaningful yardage.

Basically you need four Mike Daniels-type guys and seven Kam Chancellors.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure yet. Want to see if Mc Carthy has lost the team and how he and Rodgers interact. I'm not convinced yet that going to a 4-3 defense is the answer. Wanna see how this up to now train wreck plays out.

Reaction score
Everyone acts like it so easy to sign new deals every year, sign everyone to heavily incentive laden contracts, and dock salaries from players who under perform. If it were that easy don't you think everyone would do it. You all act like Ted is the only one with these problems when its every GM for every team in the league. The players have a union, the CBA says certain things have to be done. Sure, theoretically a GM could come in and just tell everyone "this is what we are going to pay you based on your performance last year and if you don't like it don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out" but I can assure you that GM wouldn't last long because no one would play for him. Especially since it sounds like none of you would pay any of the current players close to what they are getting now and most of them would say "see ya" Are you going to replace half the team through free agency and the draft?

Yes there are some Packer players not playing up to their contracts but if you cut them you have to replace them. ideally you would replace them with a better player who was cheaper but that does not happen very often.

Maybe you can do all that on Madden but this is the NFL and there are rules.
"Everyone"? that's a little presumptuous isn't it?
This topic is to toss around hypothetical ideas. I think many in here already know it's quite obvious there are contract restrictions and rules that govern every facet of a transaction. Who cares if someone wants to take a stab at a position like GM. Maybe we learn something through the process.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If im GM im getting my QB something Elite to throw too or Hand off too.
*Brees- M. Thomas
B. Cooks
M. Ingram
*Brady- R. Gronk
J. Edelman
M.Bennett
*Big Ben-A. Brown
M. Wheaton
L. Bell
S. Coats
*Eli Manning- OBJ
*Romo- Dez Bryant
*Matty Ice- J. Jones
M. Sanu
D. Freeman
T. Coleman
*Russel Wilson-Jimmy Graham
Am I missing someone??

Dalton
Carr
Simien
Osweiller
Hell even Cousins has better weapons lol

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Do nothing until the season ends
2. Assuming no Super Bowl appearance, fire everyone on the coaching staff except Edgar Bennett and move him to RB coach
3. Try courting any of Cowher, Gruden, Fox, Mariucci, Reid, Payton, Smith, Aranda, Holmgren, or either of the Harbaugh brothers for head coach/offensive coordinator/defensive coordinator. Also give serious consideration to former Packers like Favre, Driver, and Woodson for coordinators/position coaches.
4. Trade Rodgers for at least 3 1st-round picks and additional late-round picks. Trade Matthews for a 2nd-rounder or a running back. Trade Nelson for a 1st or 2nd-rounder.
5. Release Lacy, Starks, Barclay, Shields, Hyde, Goodson, and Peppers
6. Do whatever it takes to draft Jabrill Peppers.
7. Draft OL and WR in the early rounds, LB and CB in the middle rounds, RB and DL in the late rounds. Or make trades to acquire players at those positions.

My biggest need would be OL. Whether you have a good running back or an undrafted running back, a good OL is the key to a strong running game. With Hundley at quarterback, he will need another weapon and a 1st-round WR would help do the trick. Our offense would hopefully shift to a more college-based offense with Hundley, Montgomery, and Cobb being utilized in the backfield more often (assuming no "good" RB is drafted/traded for).

This is all assuming that Hundley has the potential that the current Packers staff claim he has. If not, then forget about trading guys like Rodgers and Nelson

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be for drafting Fournette. Look at how deadly the combination of Elliott and their good OL is. Fournette is claimed by many to have an AP level of talent.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not sure why but I find it hysterical that the example you gave for the position coach to be possibly rehired is Campen. I don't know if it was truly a random example or if you somehow subconsciously think he should be retained (I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with that by the way) but it just seems to me that he was the Jarret Bush of the coaching staff not to long ago.

Actually taken a look at the resources Campen has been dealt during his time with the Packers he has done a pretty good job with it. I guess a new coaching staff would get rid of every position coach though.

Bye Don Barclay you shouldn't even be on an NFL roster.. Bye Dhaytone jones, bye Micah Hyde, bye Richard Rodgers, bye Eddie Lacy, by James Starks, bye Goodson, bye Gunter, Morgan Burnett and Brian Bulaga...Spriggs will do just fine at tackle once he gets experience and Brice can run and hit for about 6 million dollars less just as better. Haha is ready to lead the secondary.

I don't agree with several things you suggested. First of all there's no reason to release Matthews but the Packers should try to reduce his cap hit for next season by restructuring his contract. In addition I don't see the need to get rid of Bulaga and Burnett as well as bringing Peppers back for another year.

On the 3/4 versus 4/3 question, doesn't seem like the wave of the future is essentially 4/0/7? What exactly can a linebacker do that a very physical safety cannot do? You need guys up front to battle the offensive line and hopefully pressure the quarterback. Then you need to cover receivers and prevent runners from getting meaningful yardage.

There aren't enough physical safeties around to completely refrain from using linebackers, eapecially on possible running plays.

Try courting any of Cowher, Gruden, Fox, Mariucci, Reid, Payton, Smith, Aranda, Holmgren, or either of the Harbaugh brothers for head coach/offensive coordinator/defensive coordinator. Also give serious consideration to former Packers like Favre, Driver, and Woodson for coordinators/position coaches.
4. Trade Rodgers for at least 3 1st-round picks and additional late-round picks. Trade Matthews for a 2nd-rounder or a running back. Trade Nelson for a 1st or 2nd-rounder.

Most of the coaches on your list are either currently coaching another team or are retired. In addition there's absolutely no sense in bringing in former Packers without any coaching experience as position coaches.

Once again it's ridiculous to suggest Rodgers should be traded. Teams often search for an elite quarterback for decades without having any success doing it. Therefore smart franchises don't get rid of a future Hall of Famer at the position because of a down season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
TT has messed up the salary cap so badly that a turnaround is out of the question. The Packers have no choice but to trade Rodgers and go into nuclear winter. TT pissed away nearly a quarter if the salary cap on Shields, Bahktiari and CM3, guys who never stay healthy. in fact next week that quarter of the cap may be completely awol. TT has locked up a huge chunk of the cap in nearly no production.That's a recipe for being the next Cleveland Clowns. The losing that we are seeing this season is a harbinger of things to come for the next 3-5 years at a minimum. TT has run the organization into the ground so no matter who comes next to try and fix the train wreck, their hands will be tied behind their back.
Trade Rodgers?

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm looking at DBs in free agency. I'm trading or letting Randall Cobb go, as well as Davante Adams. I'm picking up a WR and RB in the draft early. Mid-late rounds I'm looking at ILB depth and O-Line depth, may also look at DB early if WR or RB aren't available. I'm also telling McCarthy to get Hundley more game reps (I.e. if the team is up by 21 with 5 minutes left save Aaron) in case of injury, poor performance, retirement from Aaron so that Brett is ready when needed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm looking at DBs in free agency. I'm trading or letting Randall Cobb go, as well as Davante Adams. I'm picking up a WR and RB in the draft early. Mid-late rounds I'm looking at ILB depth and O-Line depth, may also look at DB early if WR or RB aren't available. I'm also telling McCarthy to get Hundley more game reps (I.e. if the team is up by 21 with 5 minutes left save Aaron) in case of injury, poor performance, retirement from Aaron so that Brett is ready when needed.

Seriously? Just letting Cobb and Adams go?? And who do you plan to replace them with? Have you seen what we are paying Adams?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't really play this game, but Cobb is a 'damned if you do ($12+ mil)', 'damned if you don't' (half that in dead $), while I'd say the majority are now solidly in Adams corner.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't see the savings of just cutting Cobb this coming year as being worthy of it. Like HE said, too much dead cap to justify anything but a contract rework (won't happen) or trade. After next year, the Packers can get out from under the final year of Cobb's contract more "reasonably", if they chose.

I don't doubt that Shields will be gone and some serious thought will be put into Clay and his contract.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't have to do anything. We just beat Detroit to go 10-6 and win the NFC North!! Made the playoffs woooohooooo!!! We've got the youngest team in the history of the league and the most injuries/guys coming off IR in like forEVER!! Our guys are gonna SERIOUSLY get in that weight room this off season!! It's a QB driven league and we have the best QB!! We are 10-6 Baybeeeeeeee and my NFC North Champion t-shirt is on the way. Can't wait for the ring ceremony next fall!! Don't change a thing!!

Sky King

Reaction score
The "Addition by Subtraction" modus operandi is a non-sustainable concept for a D&D team. Not only are there existing holes to fill via the upcoming draft but creating additional holes would only serve to weaken the team further. And when the inevitable injuries occur during next season it could negatively affect even the strongest positions (at the time that camp closes) can get transformed into one of their weakest. We've seen that occur two years in a row. And we all have a better chance of winning the lottery than we would of having TT fill multiple holes on the roster through free-agency. Hence, the title of this thread I suppose.

Regardless of who is the GM it's the middle and bottom of this roster that perpetually need to be strengthened. I don't see how weakening the top of the roster makes the middle and bottom of the roster somehow get stronger. Allison, for example, may turn-out to be the next big thing at receiver, and he may very well make Cobb or somebody else become expendable some day. But lofty expectations for Adams last season didn't quite pan out as had been hoped regardless of the reason(s). It took an additional full season for him to begin reaching the potential that some had predicted for him.

Paying $12 million for one established player on the roster may be better than paying $6 million for no player whatsoever. And let's not forget to subtract the replacement player's salary from the potential $6 million in cap savings, so the savings would not be $6 million. For a likely middling to bottom of the roster type of player it will actually cost the Packers (gross) $6 million of dead cap liability plus the salary of the guy who takes his place on the roster. That looks like a very bad ROI to me. Paying more for less is bad business.

If Cobb is amenable to renegotiating his contract then it might actually help the cap without also reducing quality depth on the roster. If he's not amenable then maybe they'll all just need to go about their business for at least one more season under the terms of that mutually agreed upon contract.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if there a link in the thread but if Shields retires how much cap space do we have going into next season?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the Packers have cap space too much of it is going to players who didn't produce much this year to match their big contracts. Moving forward I would let Peppers, Shields, Starks and Jones go. With the savings I would pay Perry and get the best available free agent cb. In the draft, I would go after a pass rusher, a CB another guard and TE. All bets are off if McCaffery is available. I still think he is a franchise changing player just like Zeke Elliott. There is a lot to be said for keeping your defense on the sidelines because your offense is consistently moving the chains. Time of possession like turnovers is a big determinant in who wins. Cobb is a big question. He is still young. I would give him one more season to show that his drop off the past two years was based upon bad luck injuries.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if there a link in the thread but if Shields retires how much cap space do we have going into next season?

Several good websites. This one http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/ says a $3 mil cap hit with $9 mil in savings. Also gives you lots of ways to 'what if?'. I thought retiring players, especially for medical reasons, wouldn't count as dead cap (no reason, just doesn't seem right), but apparently they do.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Several good websites. This one http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/ says a $3 mil cap hit with $9 mil in savings. Also gives you lots of ways to 'what if?'. I thought retiring players, especially for medical reasons, wouldn't count as dead cap (no reason, just doesn't seem right), but apparently they do.

I thought the same thing. Weird. Not sure why I always thought that. Does seem odd to punish a team for a career ending injury

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the same thing. Weird. Not sure why I always thought that. Does seem odd to punish a team for a career ending injury
the dead money comes from back loading money the player has already received.... so it seems very fair to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts