Wynn disputes IR move

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wants second opinion on injury
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: Nov. 8, 2007

Green Bay - Rookie running back DeShawn Wynn said he thinks the nerve injury in his neck and shoulder isn't serious enough for the Green Bay Packers to have put him on injured reserve, but there's not much he can do about it.

Wynn said he disagreed with the doctor's assessment that it would take him until late in the season to recover from the injury, and felt like he could play even as early as this weekend or the next. Wynn plans to get a second opinion on the injury, which the club must pay for under the collective bargaining agreement.

"I didn't feel like it (was season-ending), but I'm no doctor," Wynn said Thursday. "We have such a good year going and when you start it you want to be a part of it until the end. But you have to take it like it is."

Wynn was injured on his only carry of the game against the Denver Broncos on Oct. 29 and did not return. His backup, Ryan Grant, took over and gained 104 yards in 22 carries, prompting coach Mike McCarthy to declare him the starter immediately after the game.

Given Wynn had gone through a series of conditions that kept him off the field, including illness, cramps, thigh and hand injuries, it's logical to think the Packers decided to shut him down and let him work on strengthening his body for next season. Wynn has been attending meetings regularly and is being encouraged to hit the weights as soon as he's healthy.

Asked if he thought the Packers sidelined him because of his many ailments, Wynn said, "You play with injuries, a lot of people in here play with injuries. I don't know."

As a result of landing on injured reserve, Wynn must take a reduced salary for the final nine weeks of the season.

A seventh-round pick, Wynn was forced to accept split salaries in the first two years of the contract, which means if he gets hurt he would receive two-thirds of his base salary.

In this case, his salary will drop from $285,000 to $190,000 during the time that he is on injured reserve. Wynn could file a grievance if he feels the Packers put him on injured reserve prematurely, but it would be for his outright release and not to get his full salary.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were Wynn, I would **** and get into football shape. The kid has abilities, and he doesn't have to look too far on the Packer team to find out that hard work is rewarded financially.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wants to play, despite maybe serious injury.

I didn't know that was ****-worthy.

I like his grit.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like his grit.

Maybe, but I don't care for his lack of professionalism. The guy breaks off a big run and then heads for the oxygen tank. He fell in the draft because of complacency. The Packers shut him down because of his constant nagging little injuries. Isn't it now his responsibility to come back in top shape for next year.

Wynn, Jackson, and Morency were all but handed the starting running back job this year. The only one that has earned anything is Grant.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you know he wants to play? If he wanted to play, then he should have shown grit during the first half of the season.

Perhaps all he wants is his full salary!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

I like his grit.

Maybe, but I don't care for his lack of professionalism. The guy breaks off a big run and then heads for the oxygen tank. He fell in the draft because of complacency. The Packers shut him down because of his constant nagging little injuries. Isn't it now his responsibility to come back in top shape for next year.

Wynn, Jackson, and Morency were all but handed the starting running back job this year. The only one that has earned anything is Grant.

Agreed. He should be doing sprints every chance he gets.

Grant earned the job, and he'll be our starting RB for awhile now. Awesome we got him for only a 6th.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont see how Grant earned his spot and Wynn was handed his. Their paths were almost exactly the same.

Step 1 - Let BJack play
Step 2 - After BJack failed, insert the next guy
Step 3 - Repeat

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even Mike McCarthy said that Deshawn needed to play through the little aches and pains, this guy needs to take the rest of the season and say his prayers and take his vitamins and maybe next year he'll be a wynnamaniac brother.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All i know is we have 3 good rbs. Grant, Wynn, Jackson. These guys will push eachother to get better. We will have at least 2 good rb's come next year. Not even mentioned Morency yet. No way in the world do we need to go after Turner or anyone else next year.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like his grit.

I think if the kid had grit they wouldn't have put him in IR. I think he was injured too much, would take himself out of games, and I think McCarthy sent him as clear of a message as anyone can, that if you don't toughen up, you won't be playing next year either.

Members online

Latest posts