WR Prospects

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers can turn any athlete into a great receiver and this kid is an athlete.
No he can't; no QB can. I like your enthusiasm for Lockette - and I'll like it a lot more if he ends up a Packer. But even the best QB in the league can't turn any athlete into a great WR.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tyler Lockette in the 3rd round. Aaron Rodgers can turn any athlete into a great receiver and this kid is an athlete. Lockette has been the offense for Kansas State since his rookie season. Great punt returner and quick moves to the inside. A perfect Cobb replacement. Two K-State boys leading the receiving core for the Packers. I love it.
Some team is going to pay a high price for Cobb and be disappointed. Most of Cobb's success comes from making space after the designed plays are over. Not many offensive lines in the league can give their QB more than 8 seconds and not many QB's can scramble and make a play happen, when it should be over.

Lockett in the 3rd would be great if Cobb leaves. I fear that he won't last that long however. It could be him or Phillip Dorsett. Both are undersized, fast-as-hell, although I think I would prefer Lockett if given the choice.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
No he can't; no QB can. I like your enthusiasm for Lockette - and I'll like it a lot more if he ends up a Packer. But even the best QB in the league can't turn any athlete into a great WR.

Do you think that Cobb is going to put up the same numbers if say Jacksonville or Oakland pick him up? Has every receiver that has come through Green Bay in the Rodger's era been great as a coincidence? What happens when they leave Green Bay? Rodgers and the Packer's offensive scheme make receivers great. Sure Cobb is great at extending a dead play, but that play won't be there without Rodger's scrambling around for 8 seconds and the o-line giving him time to do so.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Do you think that Cobb is going to put up the same numbers if say Jacksonville or Oakland pick him up? Has every receiver that has come through Green Bay in the Rodger's era been great as a coincidence? What happens when they leave Green Bay? Rodgers and the Packer's offensive scheme make receivers great. Sure Cobb is great at extending a dead play, but that play won't be there without Rodger's scrambling around for 8 seconds and the o-line giving him time to do so.
You posted "Rodgers can turn any athlete into a great receiver" and that greatly overstates what goes on in Green Bay. Certainly McCarthy's offense and Rodgers' talent can make WRs look better than they would in lesser systems with lesser QBs. But Rodgers can't make great athletes catch the ball or run the correct routes. The Packers have brought in great athletes who have not turned into great WRs, usually those drafted after the third round and those brought in as UDFAs. If you were right, the Packers could sign great track athletes and have Rodgers turn them into great receivers. Great QBs can only do so much.

Also, in the discussion about the importance of Cobb to the offense I posted the numbers for Cobb, Nelson, and Adams in 5 games from last season. One of the takeaways from those numbers is even with (who I consider) the best QB in the league, a great receiver like Nelson can be virtually shut down. If what you post is true, how could that be?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it comes to WRs and knowing when to let someone walk, Ted has earned my trust. I believe in the system.

RepStar15

Reaction score
You posted "Rodgers can turn any athlete into a great receiver" and that greatly overstates what goes on in Green Bay. Certainly McCarthy's offense and Rodgers' talent can make WRs look better than they would in lesser systems with lesser QBs. But Rodgers can't make great athletes catch the ball or run the correct routes. The Packers have brought in great athletes who have not turned into great WRs, usually those drafted after the third round and those brought in as UDFAs. If you were right, the Packers could sign great track athletes and have Rodgers turn them into great receivers. Great QBs can only do so much.

Also, in the discussion about the importance of Cobb to the offense I posted the numbers for Cobb, Nelson, and Adams in 5 games from last season. One of the takeaways from those numbers is even with (who I consider) the best QB in the league, a great receiver like Nelson can be virtually shut down. If what you post is true, how could that be?
I think you are proving my exact point here. Most WR's can be shut down. That is why the Packers play a spread offense and give virtually every wide out, slot and TE a touch at the ball. That is why so many GB receiver's can shine. Not many teams have two "top 10" receiver's on one team. I do not think its a coincidence that James Jones had the worst season of his career as a Raider, do you? Considering he was virtually their only target all season, but we all know Oakland is where player's go to die. Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb are not T.O. and Randy Moss. They are not guys that will shine no matter what color you put them in. They would do great in New England, Green Bay, Denver and maybe New Orleans, but put them on the Jets and they are just your average player. Don't get me wrong, these guys are athlete's and haul in some great catches, but there are not many other quarterbacks in the league (if at all) that can turn what should be a sack into a 30 yard progression. Hell, there are hardly any offenses that can trust their quarterback to even take the extra look at their slot receivers.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think you are proving my exact point here. Most WR's can be shut down. That is why the Packers play a spread offense and give virtually every wide out, slot and TE a touch at the ball. That is why so many GB receiver's can shine. Not many teams have two "top 10" receiver's on one team. I do not think its a coincidence that James Jones had the worst season of his career as a Raider, do you? Considering he was virtually their only target all season, but we all know Oakland is where player's go to die. Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb are not T.O. and Randy Moss. They are not guys that will shine no matter what color you put them in. They would do great in New England, Green Bay, Denver and maybe New Orleans, but put them on the Jets and they are just your average player. Don't get me wrong, these guys are athlete's and haul in some great catches, but there are not many other quarterbacks in the league (if at all) that can turn what should be a sack into a 30 yard progression. Hell, there are hardly any offenses that can trust their quarterback to even take the extra look at their slot receivers.

James Jones had a career high in receptions last season with the Raiders with 73 and his six TD receptions rank third in his career.

Otherwise I agree with TJV on the topic.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hadn't watched much film on Dorsett....but wow...he looks a lot like Cobb. The only thing I don't know about him is if he can block at all. He can go short, deep, inside, outside, good hands on the ball away from his body, clean breaks on his routes............and that speed.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think you are proving my exact point here.
You are not supporting your statement, "Rodgers can turn any athlete into a great receiver" and there's a good reason for that, it's an obvious exaggeration. For example, would you say Charles Johnson is a great athlete? He’s 6’2” 215 and ran 4.38 and 4.39 at his pro day. The Packers could certainly use a 'burner' with decent size, couldn't they? Why didn't Rodgers make him into a great receiver? Perhaps it's because even great athletes have to do their part in becoming great, or even good.

As I posted, McCarthy's offense and Rodgers' talent can make WRs look better than they would in lesser systems with lesser QBs. But Rodgers can't make great athletes catch the ball or run the correct routes. He make them be as dedicated to their profession as he is. Why not just admit you exaggerated?

RepStar15

Reaction score
You are not supporting your statement, "Rodgers can turn any athlete into a great receiver" and there's a good reason for that, it's an obvious exaggeration. For example, would you say Charles Johnson is a great athlete? He’s 6’2” 215 and ran 4.38 and 4.39 at his pro day. The Packers could certainly use a 'burner' with decent size, couldn't they? Why didn't Rodgers make him into a great receiver? Perhaps it's because even great athletes have to do their part in becoming great, or even good.

As I posted, McCarthy's offense and Rodgers' talent can make WRs look better than they would in lesser systems with lesser QBs. But Rodgers can't make great athletes catch the ball or run the correct routes. He make them be as dedicated to their profession as he is. Why not just admit you exaggerated?
I exaggerated in the one statement slightly by saying just Rodger's can make any receiver great. I did not exaggerate by looking at a player like Lockette and saying he can be the next Cobb pretty easily. I did not exaggerate by saying that Cobb will not be as productive anywhere else. I do not know why you focused so ******* one statement opposed to the point of the discussion. James Jones had the most receptions of his career, with far more attempts than any other time in his career. He also had the lowest yards per reception and reception yards other than his rookie season. Oakland overpaid for a WR2. Packer's fans stress so much about losing single player's, they do not see that our system works to fit virtually anyone.
And Charles Johnson? Your really not helping your argument here. That kid didn't even get a shot at playing with Rodgers. He tore his ACL in camp when the Brown's picked him up. If I remember right, McCarthy liked him a lot and was excited to see what he could do.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I exaggerated in the one statement slightly by saying just Rodger's can make any receiver great.
Finally. (Except 1) That's not what you posted. You posted Rodgers can make any athlete a great receiver. 2) That wasn't a slight exaggeration.)

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Tyler Lockette in the 3rd round. Aaron Rodgers can turn any athlete into a great receiver and this kid is an athlete. Lockette has been the offense for Kansas State since his rookie season. Great punt returner and quick moves to the inside. A perfect Cobb replacement. Two K-State boys leading the receiving core for the Packers. I love it.
Some team is going to pay a high price for Cobb and be disappointed. Most of Cobb's success comes from making space after the designed plays are over. Not many offensive lines in the league can give their QB more than 8 seconds and not many QB's can scramble and make a play happen, when it should be over.
Yeah, I liked Lockett in the "Cobb Replacement?" thread. He's a polished route runner and likely to contribute in year 1.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more film I watch, the more I want Dorsett if Cobb goes. He's got better measurables than Cobb and that speed will get him open. It would be like having our own Antonio Brown or TY Hilton. I know he's yet to make an NFL play, but I like the kid.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I don't have to wait until camp to post about Boykin being released. He wasn't even tendered a contract by the Pack. He is a free agent now.

Members online

Latest posts