1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

WR Prospects

Discussion in '2015 Draft Archive' started by thisisnate, Mar 4, 2015.

1. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +504
    Hopefully Cobb is back, but never hurts to surround your elite QB with weapons. If we can't retain him for whatever reason, I'd be hoping for another round 2-3 Ted-pick at WR.

I have high hopes for Janis, but when I actually think about it for a second, I realize I have no idea why I have high hopes for him. At present, he's just a guy with good physical attributes. I expect nothing of Abbrederis for now.

Any WRs you guys are particularly interested in?

As for physical freaks, Dorial Green-Beckham and Devin Funchess are the only 2 I can think of that stand out. DGB has major character red flags. Funchess has underperformed, is slow, and projects as a TE (even though he'll want to get WR money at some point.) As much as I want a freak, jump-ball guy, I don't think this year's draft has it for us.

If you want a Cobb substitute/slot guy, you may be looking at Phillip Dorsett or Tyler Lockett. They possess the sorts of physical tools you would want to see in a guy to take over Cobb's role, but I have not watched any tape on them at all and don't know how they'd stack up. Anyone know much about these guys?

A kind of curious specimen that jumps out at me is Chris Conley out of Georgia. He's by all accounts a great character guy, he had a monster combine with elite speed and athleticism shown, he's got excellent size, solid production in college, and appears to be pretty durable. He looks really, really great on paper. But for whatever reason, most prospect rankings have him as like a 5th round+ guy.

2. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,065
    Justin Hardy out of ECU has always seemed like a perfect fit for the slot in MM's offense. He is a more traditional slot guy than Cobb as he doesn't have the speed to line up all over the field and play RB. He didn't have a great senior bowl week of practice but I am not sure anyone outworked him in college and he just screams packer material. Might have to spend a 2nd round pick on him because the 3rd round pick of the pack is so late in the round but he should be a 3rd round guy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sanguine camper

Sanguine camper Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +200
    Packers should put their priority on drafting a TE this year instead of a WR. If Cobb leaves they can stick Boykin in his spot. Both MM and TT love Boykin they let James Jones leave for marginal money to the Raiders in order to get Boykin on the field.

4. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,065
    Did you watch Boykin last year? He was horrible. I doubt he makes the 53 next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    Uhh, he barely even saw the field on offense. How can you say he was horrible when he didn't even get a chance?

6. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,771
    but when he did get chances he did about as little as one could do with it. Last year was not a good year for him at all. One thing about this team, work hard, know your stuff and make plays, you'll see the field and get opportunities. Squander them and you won't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,065
    He was the #3 to start off the year and was awful and got benched for Adams. He started 3 games. He had 12 passes thrown to him and he caught 3 of them. Its his own fault he didn't play more. He was terrible when given the chance to play. They wanted him to be the #3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    But Boykin was playing behind Nelson, Adams and Cobb. No WR will see the field much being behind those three and when he does get on the field, there is doubt that a play will be designed for him.

Boykin was caught up in a numbers game last season, plain and simple. He was the #4 WR on our roster. Exactly how many #4 WR's around the league "look good" when play time is extremely minimal?

9. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    And its clear Adams took that #3 job because of his talent. Which showed.

10. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,065
    We will see what happens come next season but barring injuries I would almost bet on him being cut when they get down to 53...or 55 if that goes through.

11. ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +223
    I would definitely take DGB with the character flaws even though I'm in the minority. I like Conley late from an athletic stand point and I've watched him at Georgia. The kid has talent. I really like Stefon Diggs as I've already stated, he just looks like a beast.

12. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,771
    yeah, he was caught in a numbers game, and his were terrible despite being the #3. he was replaced by a rookie. A talented rookie, but still a rookie. If he had made the plays he should have made, he would have kept his #3. But he didn't, not by a long shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    There are plenty of rookies who come into the league and start over veterans. Its not some revelation.

14. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,771
    and there are lots of 3rd year WR's that catch the ball when given an opportunity and keep their position on the field. Had Boykin not performed so poorly, but more like the year before. Adams might never have been a starter. It's not like he lit the league on fire. He had a couple decent games, and for much of the year people were wondering when he was going to make an impact. I'm excited for his future, but it's not as if his level of play should have benched any WR ahead of him.

15. Sanguine camper

Sanguine camper Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +200
    I agree with the posts that Boykin sucked and didn't get the job done last year. However. That doesn't negate the fact that he was given the 3rd WR job last yeAr because TT and MM think he's s good player. It appears that Botkin still fits prominently in the Packers plans because it appears that Cobb may not be signed. I hope those reports are wrong but it looks like he will be shoved back into the 3rd WR job if Cobb leaves.

16. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    He had like 10 balls thrown his way ALL YEAR....10....ten. He wasn't even given an honest chance, LOL

You say that's enough body of work to say "He had a bad year" ? Get real.

17. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,771
    Are you the only one that didn't see him in the beginning of the year? He sucked. If he would have played like he did the year before, he would have been on the field. He would have had more balls thrown his way, he wouldn't have been replaced by a rookie. and the few chances he got later in the year, he did about the same with his opportunities, nothing good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    He didn't have an honest oppertunity to prove himself. Its asinine to say that a player had a bad year based around 2-3 games and only having 10 balls thrown his way.....He was barely on the field and that is due to stud rookie Adams showing he was ready earlier than people realized.

I guess Jeff Abbrederis had a bad year by using your logic too huh? He didn't play at all....which more or less sums up Boykins year on offense in a nut shell.

19. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    He went from seeing the field to not seeing the field. I would call that a bad year

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    I simply call it someone better taking your place, Adams.

21. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,065
    Were you his high school coach or something?

When he gets cut during training camp this thread is getting bumped.

22. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,771
    Abbrederis did have a bad year, he got hurt in TC and didn't get to contribute at all. We'll see if that means Janis grew enough to make him expendable or not. But that's bad on a different level.

I think it's obvious to me and about everyone else besides you, that had Boykin made the most of his opportunities like he did the previous year when he caught about 50 for 700 yards as a #3, nobody was taking his position on the field as our #3. Everyone was high on Boykin coming into last year, including me. I remember visiting my cousin and watching the first preseason game 3 years ago at The Bar on Lyndale Dr in Appleton. Boykin was a rookie with a fun name to say and catching everything they threw to him that game. The only guy I can remember standing out that day. He saw the field some and then in his 2nd year he made the most of everything. Those 50 for 700 and a few TD's came in just over half a season.

Everyone was looking for him to have a big year, at least as big, again last year. I don't know if he was hurt, mentally he just couldn't keep up, poor work ethic (which I have a hard time believing) He's the guy that this coaching staff and fans root for. UDFA that plays his way to a roster spot, then performs when needed and comes up big. I can't believe the coaches just decided he didn't deserve a chance anymore. It's not their MO.

I think almost 7 balls thrown to with only 2 catches in 2 early games had something to do with it. I think a perfectly thrown ball going off his hands into the arms of defenders had something to do with it. He looked completely different to me last year when he was on the field, lack of focus and effort. I don't know why, but Boykin played his way right off the field last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    While Hardy doesn´t possess great straight line speed he was the fastest receiver in the three cone drill at the combine meaning he is smooth in changing direction at a high speed. He could be a nice pickup in the third round although I would prefer to draft either Dorsett or Lockett if Cobb leaves in free agency.

In addition to his terrible season in 2014 Boykin is way too slow to play in the slot.

Boykin didn´t see the field because he was terrible early in the season and he´s got no one else than himself to blame for it. He dropped three passes out of the 12 thrown his way last year. That´s enough of a sample size to figure out he had a bad season.

24. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    How anyone thinks Boykin will be the next man up if Cobb leaves is beyond me. Boykin went from 49 catches for 681 yards and 3 TDs in 2013 to 3 catches for 23 yards and no TDs last season. He didn’t get more snaps from scrimmage because he earned his spot on the bench, just like Bostick. Here’s the one mention of Boykin in the McGinn article, “Packers have options if Cobb leaves”:
    Of course McGinn isn’t the last word on the subject but I agree with those thinking Boykin better get back to playing as he did in ’13 or he won’t make the team, let alone step into the starting lineup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. KyraReppe5

KyraReppe5 "We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."

Ratings:
    +104
    Tyler Lockette in the 3rd round. Aaron Rodgers can turn any athlete into a great receiver and this kid is an athlete. Lockette has been the offense for Kansas State since his rookie season. Great punt returner and quick moves to the inside. A perfect Cobb replacement. Two K-State boys leading the receiving core for the Packers. I love it.
    Some team is going to pay a high price for Cobb and be disappointed. Most of Cobb's success comes from making space after the designed plays are over. Not many offensive lines in the league can give their QB more than 8 seconds and not many QB's can scramble and make a play happen, when it should be over.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015