WR corps

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Years ago, I got the opportunity of meeting, and talking with John Brockington. It started as a by-chance meeting at the Packer Hall of Fame. As we were talking, I mentioned to him that he looked like he was in good enough shape to actually go back to playing. He laughed, and told me about some health issues he'd gone through. I mentioned my issues, and we decided to go to one of the restaurants in the Atrium for something to drink. We sat there for over an hour and a half talking, and giving each other encouragement. We got to know each other fairly well, in a short period of time. We weren't close friends, but we did find a bond.

I found John to be someone I wish I'd known years earlier. It would have been a treat to spend time visiting with him. When he died, I felt horrible. When I his name comes up, I think back to our conversation, and how we both helped each other get a little better handle on our personal situations. Not once, outside of my mentioning how he looked like he could still play, did we talk about football.

Mentioning him because his name was brought up in the thread. Sorry if it's out of place.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Irving Fryar and Keyshawn Johnson are two names you probably recognize along with a few before the SB era.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first_overall_National_Football_League_Draft_picks
Thanks Poppa. I've heard of both and am more familiar with Johnson. I'm pretty sure Johnson had a solid career, less sure are about Fryar. Interesting NFL trivia question.

In this version of the NFL, it's hard to imagine a draft where a QB isn't taken with the first pick. If the Bears feel good enough about Fields and they keep the #1 pick, this year may be an exception. Although if I'm the Bears' GM, I'm trading Fields and taking a QB at #1. Fields is getting better, but he can't run forever with that build and his arm and decision making are average or a bit above. This draft is solid with top tier picks. (Although the Bears' experience with QBs has been utterly horrendous, almost like a curse.)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Years ago, I got the opportunity of meeting, and talking with John Brockington. It started as a by-chance meeting at the Packer Hall of Fame. As we were talking, I mentioned to him that he looked like he was in good enough shape to actually go back to playing. He laughed, and told me about some health issues he'd gone through. I mentioned my issues, and we decided to go to one of the restaurants in the Atrium for something to drink. We sat there for over an hour and a half talking, and giving each other encouragement. We got to know each other fairly well, in a short period of time. We weren't close friends, but we did find a bond.

I found John to be someone I wish I'd known years earlier. It would have been a treat to spend time visiting with him. When he died, I felt horrible. When I his name comes up, I think back to our conversation, and how we both helped each other get a little better handle on our personal situations. Not once, outside of my mentioning how he looked like he could still play, did we talk about football.

Mentioning him because his name was brought up in the thread. Sorry if it's out of place.
Wonderful story V, thanks. How old was JB when he died and what was the cause?

Reaction score
I think Ryan Grant was the feature back in the 97 SB win. Who was it in 2011? I wanna say Starks but I don't think he was a starter.
Yes. Starks came in because of injury and played great in postseason. Starks earned starting role and eventually formed a formidable 1-2 punch once Lacey got drafted.

Reaction score
We definitely don’t NEED a WR. My argument would be that next to QB it’s one of the more valued positions now. Also most seasons at least 1 WR is either out or routinely forced to play not at 100%, so having 5 deep (we use 3-4 pretty regularly) that can start becomes a goal. #5 can also be a talent upgrade on our ST

Also I’ll say it again, this draft is exceptionally strong at WR starting immediately at the opening bell.
There’s an abundance of WR talent this year, but especially inside 4 Rounds. Very enticing Wideouts will cross our path repeatedly and I’d be shocked if we passed on all of them.

That said, there’s so many different styles of WR. Last draft it was a bunch of undersized Slot options, but not much variety. In the 2024 draft it’s a FULL spectrum of WR talent. All shapes and sizes and roles (X,Y, Z).

Lastly, it’s a good argument to go after need and I support that more in Round 1. We do have many other positional needs. However we should remember that 2024 brings a new set of circumstances. There’s a 75% we get active in FA with at least 1 Starter. There’s a 50/50 we get TWO starters from outside FA. So now we’ll likely fill a player at Safety, OL, DL or LB before the draft starts. That alleviates some stress and coupled with 7 earlier picks.

Scenario: You are GM. Ask yourself this:
A WR you have at #56 overall is in your lap on pick #88. Do you pass on him to get a player ranked 15-20 spots lesser?

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't know that any of our wide receivers end up being elite as individuals. But along with our tight ends, and all these young guys growing together with Love, the whole could end up being a very lethal passing game.
That actually was something I was thinking about last week. While it would be nice to have ELITE WR's if the sum of the parts is greater than the sum of 1 elite WR and the parts, you might be better off. I look at the team when Davante was here and it was for the most part, him and JAGS. The other bonus of not having elite WR's is the money. Elite WR's have cracked the $30M/year mark and it will continue to rise. Having 5 guys collectively earn less, helps the team.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonderful story V, thanks. How old was JB when he died and what was the cause?
He was 74. He died on March 31, 2023. I've listed an article about him, at his death. I knew the entire story that he told about what he went through, long before it became news. In fact, when we talked about it, he was wondering if he should tell everyone about it. I told him I thought it was a story that needed telling.

Not only did John tell his story, he went on to be a champion in a cause that's so important. As good a player as he was on the field, he became an even better man in the world we all live in. Like I said. I found our encounter as something very special, and I'll always cherish.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That actually was something I was thinking about last week. While it would be nice to have ELITE WR's if the sum of the parts is greater than the sum of 1 elite WR and the parts, you might be better off. I look at the team when Davante was here and it was for the most part, him and JAGS. The other bonus of not having elite WR's is the money. Elite WR's have cracked the $30M/year mark and it will continue to rise. Having 5 guys collectively earn less, helps the team.
JAGS?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always subjective, but I'd say that, from 2014-2021, Cobb/Nelson/Jones were clearly above JAG status, Lazard/St. Brown/MVS were either JAGs or one-trick ponies, and the rest really were JAGs.
Just a guy...... Got it. Agree with your assessment. Have Lazard or Cobb done anything with the Jets this year? I think Amos is gone already, speaking of another jag.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Always subjective, but I'd say that, from 2014-2021, Cobb/Nelson/Jones were clearly above JAG status, Lazard/St. Brown/MVS were either JAGs or one-trick ponies, and the rest really were JAGs.
"JAGS": Just Another Guy's

Sorry HE, I was referring more to the time period after Jordy and Cobb (original stint) were gone. Cobb's second time around with the Packers, he was a JAG.

There were also times when Jordy and Adams were out with injuries and it looked like a WR group of PS players.

I agree with you that Lazard and MVS were one trick ponies and thus JAG's in my opinion. St. Brown was 100% all JAG.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Have Lazard or Cobb done anything with the Jets this year? I think Amos is gone already, speaking of another jag.
Neither Cobb or Lazard have done a whole lot for the Jets. Lazard was a healthy scratch for one game,

Attachments

• jet.jpg.jpeg
    jet.jpg.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 20

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello?

Are you here?
yep, here's me, though hadn't been here in a long time. just FYI though, if you'd red the posts after that one, you would have seen that I was taking the **** out of those that thought Love was so poor he couldn't beat Boyle for no2 QB. at that time I was more than willing to wait and see what Love would bring when he got the chance.

I think so far this season we've seen about the best we could have hoped for, and a lot more than some were expecting. we have a very young and inexperienced offense this season, and it was always going to be a bit of a crapshoot to see how they got on. as an overall grade, the O is getting pass marks this season. the big question is will they manage to progress next season and further seasons

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"JAGS": Just Another Guy's

Sorry HE, I was referring more to the time period after Jordy and Cobb (original stint) were gone. Cobb's second time around with the Packers, he was a JAG.

There were also times when Jordy and Adams were out with injuries and it looked like a WR group of PS players.
See
I agree with you that Lazard and MVS were one trick ponies and thus JAG's in my opinion. St. Brown was 100% all JAG.
Thanks Poker. Hey I'm old and I miss things I should catch the first time......

I agree that Cobb was a JAG when he left the Packers. Also agree on Lazard and MVS. Lazard was a hell of a blocking WR, but catching the ball is the first job. Im sure Gluten and MLF were all too happy to let Lazard and Cobb go East with AR. As for MVS, he has his moments, but has never been worth the $11 mil/year the Chiefs are paying him IMO.

I much prefer the stable of young guys Gluten has assembled. I can be ******* gluten for his drafting, but he has had some terrific picks.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers would have complained about and isolated himself from these young wrs and tes! It is AWESOME to see Love not only perform well..but..gets along well with these guys. He will throw to the open guy..not just target 1 or 2 guys every game.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers would have complained about and isolated himself from these young wrs and tes! It is AWESOME to see Love not only perform well..but..gets along well with these guys. He will throw to the open guy..not just target 1 or 2 guys every game.
Love is closer in age to the current stable of receivers. Tougher to relate when you are a relic like AR12 was. I myself have a more difficult time keeping in tune with the staff at work. Nice thing about industry though is I'm the expert and can understand the whats and why fors of the ancient equipment.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A.R. maybe older, but, he should have tried to create more chemistry with these guys. He was always pissed when they messed up, yet, he wouldn't go the extra mile to get on the same page. Doubs even mentioned how he barely knew, or, saw Rodgers outside of 1265. On the rare occasion he did see him, they didn't speak.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love is closer in age to the current stable of receivers. Tougher to relate when you are a relic like AR12 was. I myself have a more difficult time keeping in tune with the staff at work. Nice thing about industry though is I'm the expert and can understand the whats and why fors of the ancient equipment.

To be fair Rodgers had a weed smoking handshake with their young phenom Corner in TC right away…Rodgers also dates girls ten years younger….he relates when he wants to quite well.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking we probably have one too many receivers for next year. Bo Melton looks like a keeper. I think Toure is the odd man out. Don't know why we would draft another one. That said, I hope we have some open ones come Sunday.