WR corps

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair assessment. While Gluten can't plug all the holes - LT, S, RB, and CB would be my priorities. I think the D line is ok, he'll eventually have to draft Clark's replacement.

And adding another athletic ILB like Walker would be good. Walker is above average with potential for more. The Edge is ok with Gary and LVN but needs depth. Smith is in decline.

They don't need a rebuild. They need much better coaching and help at these positions.
I think our WRs need to beef up some. They have speed but it appears they are brittle. We can expect one or two every week to be out, doubtful, or questionable. Even with the penalties on defenders look what happened to Hockenson. And he's a TE who is not easy to bring down.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking we probably have one too many receivers for next year. Bo Melton looks like a keeper. I think Toure is the odd man out. Don't know why we would draft another one. That said, I hope we have some open ones come Sunday.
Expect to see more of the jet sweep with them next season. Possibly one can be a return man.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking we probably have one too many receivers for next year. Bo Melton looks like a keeper. I think Toure is the odd man out. Don't know why we would draft another one. That said, I hope we have some open ones come Sunday.
Toure is the only WR I haven't heard much about, so agreed, and Melton doesn't look like a fluke. For the upcoming pick, with 5 picks in rounds 1-3, I'd go with S/CB, LT, ILB, and RB - more or less in that order, although I'd switch out S/CB and LT in round 1 depending on who is available.

But yeah, this team looks good at WR. I give Watson another year to prove 1) he can stay healthy and 2) he can learn new routes. Right now, he's not even among the top 4 receivers, including TEs. If a solid WR is available in rounds 5 or 6 I could see them taking one. Otherwise, and fortunately, not required.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our WRs need to beef up some. They have speed but it appears they are brittle. We can expect one or two every week to be out, doubtful, or questionable. Even with the penalties on defenders look what happened to Hockenson. And he's a TE who is not easy to bring down.
Agreed. Just look at guys like Tyreek Hill, AJ Brown, Mike Evans and others. These guys are cut. They don't come like that from college. Good strength training and diet and discipline give them the ability to add some muscle and avoid some injuries.

And yeah, the GB WRs are almost all very thin, maybe with the exception of Doubs. Watson has the height and speed, but also needs to add strength or he'll be an injury-prone roster casualty after next year.

I have to remind myself how young these guys are and that they're still growing. It also reminds me how important strength coaches and team dietitians are.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wicks, Heath, Watson are all not slender tiny dudes. No amount of beef eliminates ankle rolls from happening or rib/chest things from happening at times….and beef really is the last thing Watson needs, that dude needs yoga and stretching routines to rule his life as it is all soft tissue hammy pull issues. Bodies his size and build are not supposed to be his speed.

Romeo is bigger than many realize too if you ever stand beside him.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Toure is the only WR I haven't heard much about...
I don't have PFF premium, but I would like to see the ratio of targets to snaps for Toure. When he's in the game, which is usually in situations where one of the other WRs is dinged up, he seems to still get targeted by Love. I think he's on the same page as Love, but just has been passed up by the more athletic WRs. If he doesn't make Packers next year, I would not be surprised to see him in a Jets uniform. Rodgers likes WRs who he can count on knowing where they are.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have PFF premium, but I would like to see the ratio of targets to snaps for Toure. When he's in the game, which is usually in situations where one of the other WRs is dinged up, he seems to still get targeted by Love. I think he's on the same page as Love, but just has been passed up by the more athletic WRs. If he doesn't make Packers next year, I would not be surprised to see him in a Jets uniform. Rodgers likes WRs who he can count on knowing where they are.
Toure doesn't do ST which is a big strike against a WR buried on the depth chart. He gets most of his snaps when Watson is out. Games 1-4 & 13 are his only double digit snap counts. He does lead the team on depth of target at over 18yds. Looks to me like he is considered a deep threat ala MVS. He is also the oldest, by birth date, WR on the roster; the only one older than his QB.

ETA: I got most of this info free from PFR

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Toure doesn't do ST which is a big strike against a WR buried on the depth chart. He gets most of his snaps when Watson is out. Games 1-4 & 13 are his only double digit snap counts. He does lead the team on depth of target at over 18yds. Looks to me like he is considered a deep threat ala MVS. He is also the oldest, by birth date, WR on the roster; the only one older than his QB.
Thanks Poppa San! Yes, his lack of ST use doesn't help his case. IIRC they tried him on punt returns in preseason and he was shaky, at best. Too bad. Good locker interview, and seems like a good guy. He'll be in the league somewhere.

This WR room is just so young and deep. Not enough ball to go around!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
To be fair Rodgers had a weed smoking handshake with their young phenom Corner in TC right away
I think that was more Rodgers being "the New Rodgers" to be honest. Leaving GB he knew his PR took a big hit and he had to change or the NY media would eat him up. One of the biggest knocks on him was his hot and cold relationships with teammates and coaches. Whether they were true or not, they soured a lot of fans opinion of him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that was more Rodgers being "the New Rodgers" to be honest. Leaving GB he knew his PR took a big hit and he had to change or the NY media would eat him up. One of the biggest knocks on him was his hot and cold relationships with teammates and coaches. Whether they were true or not, they soured a lot of fans opinion of him.
It's gonna be interesting to see how Rodgers does next year. He was never a running QB, but he was damn good at evading rushers and creating something out of nothing while making incredible passes across his body.

During his last two years in GB, he was losing that evasiveness and seemed to be taking more sacks or getting rid of the ball. The Jets' GM would do Rodgers and the offense a favor by improving the OL in NYC. If not, he's gonna get sacked more and have a higher risk of injury.

Can he still pull off that Rodgers' magic at age 40? We'll see. The whole team, and pretty much every Jets' fan is counting on him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's gonna be interesting to see how Rodgers does next year. He was never a running QB, but he was damn good at evading rushers and creating something out of nothing while making incredible passes across his body.

During his last two years in GB, he was losing that evasiveness and seemed to be taking more sacks or getting rid of the ball. The Jets' GM would do Rodgers and the offense a favor by improving the OL in NYC. If not, he's gonna get sacked more and have a higher risk of injury.

Can he still pull off that Rodgers' magic at age 40? We'll see. The whole team, and pretty much every Jets' fan is counting on him.
The Jets won't know if Rodgers plays or not next year, until after he consults with his coven of trusted witches.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jets won't know if Rodgers plays or not next year, until after he consults with his coven of trusted witches.

I love this! And of course, it's the only way for Rodgers to know what to do, for sure.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stole it, from an article out of the Onion. But yes, very funny.
Thanks for crediting the source. Yeah I saw it in the Onion too and it's still hilarious. And I think this was before his "darkness retreat". The witches may be brewing up a new batch of ayahuasca.

(You probably saw it, but a few weeks ago after the loss to the Bucs, the Onion ran a bit that "The Hubble Telescope discovered a Packers' CB Playing 20 million Light Years Off the Line of Scrimmage." Something like that. Hilarious and painfully true........)

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thanks for crediting the source. Yeah I saw it in the Onion too and it's still hilarious. And I think this was before his "darkness retreat". The witches may be brewing up a new batch of ayahuasca.

(You probably saw it, but a few weeks ago after the loss to the Bucs, the Onion ran a bit that "The Hubble Telescope discovered a Packers' CB Playing 20 million Light Years Off the Line of Scrimmage." Something like that. Hilarious and painfully true........)
Saw that one, loved it!

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if Watson doesnt play this week, I think he is done for the year. Next time he plays ill be holding my breath he doesnt pop that hammy like a zit on a 16 year old blonde preping for her first date. Our WR corps is gonna be really good but we lack a true number 1. I think its time to package Watson and try to hit on a WR early second or late first....someone got to drop due to all the early WR talent. Im looking for of a gamer type of guy that fits well with our other young guys, not a track star. A "Pickins' type of guy if you will. Whata think give Watson another year or be aggresive.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if Watson doesnt play this week, I think he is done for the year. Next time he plays ill be holding my breath he doesnt pop that hammy like a zit on a 16 year old blonde preping for her first date. Our WR corps is gonna be really good but we lack a true number 1. I think its time to package Watson and try to hit on a WR early second or late first....someone got to drop due to all the early WR talent. Im looking for of a gamer type of guy that fits well with our other young guys, not a track star. A "Pickins' type of guy if you will. Whata think give Watson another year or be aggresive.
We actually look a lot better with Watson out there. Other players are a lot more open. Not playing Sunday doesn't mean he won't play the next week. So I want to keep him. I don't think he should be running any jet sweeps though. He is not built for it imho.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His relationships with women were hot and cold as well.

Reaction score
That actually was something I was thinking about last week. While it would be nice to have ELITE WR's if the sum of the parts is greater than the sum of 1 elite WR and the parts, you might be better off. I look at the team when Davante was here and it was for the most part, him and JAGS. The other bonus of not having elite WR's is the money. Elite WR's have cracked the $30M/year mark and it will continue to rise. Having 5 guys collectively earn less, helps the team.
Exactly. With good research, we’ve shown we can draft a really good WR inside that Top 50 ballpark. That’s 4 years at $5mil instead of 4 years at $100Mil+

I’m not at all opposed to using a Day2 selection to add one more element. Especially a YAC threat

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We actually look a lot better with Watson out there. Other players are a lot more open. Not playing Sunday doesn't mean he won't play the next week. So I want to keep him. I don't think he should be running any jet sweeps though. He is not built for it imho.
We do look better when he plays, but thats the problem his availability. We need a true number 1 injected into the offense for 24 to prep for 25 SB run.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Only if this Pickens type has a brain. No interest in any one like the original.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We dodged a bullet with Pickens, ooober athletic and amazing but dude has the maturity and desire to do the little things like a kindergartener.

Members online

Latest posts