Would you want him back?

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Erik Walden. The guy is turning 32, but had his best season last year with the Colts. He isn't really injury prone and could help our pass rush for at least a season or 2 probably. He turned in 11 sacks and multiple forced fumbles last year on a team where he didn't have much for running mates in the pass rushing category. In fact, I think his 11 sacks were good for a third of the teams sacks in general. So what would you guys think about bringing back Walden on a bargain deal? (He's only had reported interest from Titans and is still unsigned)

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think Walden and perry on the outsides and Matthews rotating in for them and the inside linebackers would give us a good mix of pass rush and athleticism at all linebacker positions. At least until a young guy can step up as walden would be a temporary fix.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Walden was a beast. But he priced himself out of GB... so? What's the price?

The only thing I could find on him based on this years free agency was a workout with the Titans that didn't result in a signing and articles about how the colts replaced him with Jabaal Sheard. If he doesn't get much interest, I think he could end up taking a bargain deal.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Practice habits aside, 11 sacks are 11 sacks. He's familiar with our program and if he could post even 3/4 that number this upcoming season he'd justify the move. Naturally this comes down to money but if he's not asking for stupid money, I'd love to see EW back in the saddle. Production is production and that's exactly what he provided last year on a team with very mediocre defensive talent. Bring him in for a chat and let's see...

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh the colt d was so formidable....no.....once again a tt retread.....no....how about Aaron Kampman can we get him in for a chat too?

H

HardRightEdge

Good add for cheap. I'm not sensing much interest. When was the last time Thomson let a vet player walk for more money and then bring him back? I can't think of one.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Since Walden is still available, I have to think its a case of him wanting to try and cash in on his one big year of sacks (11) and teams looking at his other 8 years in the league and valuing him at a lot less (2.5 sacks/year). The upside on Walden is he has been relatively healthy and he knows the Packers defense. The downside is he will be 32 in August and probably isn't worth nearly the kind of money he is most likely asking for.

The other factor with Walden is he no doubt wants to be a starter. With what the Packers have invested in Perry and Matthews, Walden would be nothing more than a situational guy or at best a starter if either Perry or Matthews went down.

Pass....unless he comes cheap.

H

HardRightEdge

This reminds me of the old joke about how many people it takes to change a stadium light at Lambeau: Five - one to replace the bulb and four to talk about how great the old one was.
I don't think anybody would expect "greatness" from Walden. It's a question of some veteran depth for not a lot of money. Do you really want your backup/rotation at OLB to be Fackrell and Elliott? I know I don't.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh the colt d was so formidable....no.....once again a tt retread.....no....how about Aaron Kampman can we get him in for a chat too?

I know this is sarcasm, but there is no reason for the comparison. Walden may be 32 but he's also coming off his best year and one where he had double digit sacks. This isn't about bringing in a washed up player and hoping he can rejuvenate his career. It's about bringing in veteran depth that has proven in RECENT years that he can continue to be a pass rush threat. If Matthews or Perry goes down, I'd feel more comfortable with Walden than Fackrell or Elliott. If the ILBs don't improve and Matthews plays there, Walden is a better starting option than what we have.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not interested in bringing Walden back. While his sack number from last season is impressive it's misleading as well as he wasn't able to put pressure on opposing quarterbacks on a consistent basis. In addition he's a terrible run defender at this point in his career.

Sky King

Reaction score
I don't think anybody would expect "greatness" from Walden. It's a question of some veteran depth for not a lot of money. Do you really want your backup/rotation at OLB to be Fackrell and Elliott? I know I don't.
Thompson is the polar opposite of George Allen. Picking-up a Walden would heavily lean towards the Allen philosophy. At a proven-to-be-effective place somewhere in-between lies Bill Belichick.

While Thompson has somewhat of an eye for aging future HOF players like Woodson, Saturday and Peppers (as long as they're available on the relative cheap), Walden does not comfortably fit Thompson's M.O.

I'm not saying that an experienced veteran like Walden wouldn't be a better plug-in player than some of the D&D hangers-on players that Thompson favors to round-out his rosters, just that I would be genuinely surprised if Thompson were to make such a move for a player of so-so pedigree. If Walden could be had for league minimum with no guaranteed money - and even then I have serious doubts - Thompson might give some thought to adding him to the mix.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm not interested in bringing Walden back. While his sack number from last season is impressive it's misleading as well as he wasn't able to put pressure on opposing quarterbacks on a consistent basis. In addition he's a terrible run defender at this point in his career.
It is inconceivable that Walden would be a worse run defender than Fackrell or Elliott.

Reese2017

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leave all these old players of the roster before you know we will be an old team,Brian price will be just fine at dt just watch and see he played 10 plays against the lions and looked pretty good this guy will be a stud,leave walden alone ,all Aaron needs is dalvin cook

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, I don't have the time to watch every single snap of Walden's 2016 season with the Colts.
Neither did I, but we have a good idea what the Packers do.

One key aspect of playing defense, which applies especially to OLBs, is changing gears from pass call to run play or visa versa since the opposition does not give you the play in advance. Capers asks his OLBs to take an outside rush for edge run defense and pocket contain to minimize mistakes in pass/run or run/pass transition. Pass rush pressure is supposed to come from second effort motors. You just don't see much in the way of stunts, inside swims, jet rushes or free lancing.

Other DCs take a different, less risk averse approach. If the Colts used Walden regularly in jet rushes, which would account for the sack count, then the run grade is going to suffer. I cannot say if they did or they didn't.

You would expect Packer OLBs to grade higher in run defense than their abilities might reflect assuming they follow the prime directive. And even under that prime directive, these guy's run defense was not very good. Elliott looked to improve in this regard, but the pass rush suffered...the package simply isn't there which explains why he wasn't tendered.

Fackrell may turn into an NFL football player; or he may add bulk and lose quickness. Elliott is a core special teams player and that's about it. I don't think you want either of these guys playing 2, 4, 6 games as an injury replacement.

Walden would be a known, veteran quantity. He's not going to excite anybody, but you'd expect him to be assignment sure in an injury replacement scenario. And he wouldn't cost very much.

Reaction score
The good news is we have the luxury of waiting it out as the pricing drops across the board. We're just now getting into the arena whereas players get discontent with being unemployed and will put pressure on their agents to make a deal. Just wait until Cuba Gooding calls Tom Cruise

Last edited: