Would you entertain Colt McCoy as a back-up?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I see where the "Dump Hawk" troupe is out dancing in unison. I will grant you that Hawk isn't the high-impact guy that seems to draw the approvals of the young guys, or that some would like to see in a 1st round #5 pick, but, the guy plays his position. Heck of a team guy...and in that regard, I'll keep him.

As for bringing McCoy to GB? Won't happen...I read where the Browns were looking to shake "one" of our young receivers ... I'm speculating but, I'd bet my skivvies that would be #18. If the price were right, I'd say damned right, bring him here because I've got a feeling that kid has never been coached in the NFL. He's had a marginal receiving corps from the git-go and doesn't possess the pin-point gun for an arm that makes the national media have their usual wet dreams, and, taking into account that a QB cannot single handedly turn an offense from chicken sh*t to chicken salad...and the guy was tossed into an already raging pan-fire in Cleveland, I'd say...bring him in and coach him up...provided his Daddy is not allowed within the city limits.

As for the weather...jumpin' sweet tap dancing Jesus, if the kid didn't turn into a cryogenic experiment in Cleveland, he can handle Green Bay ... that is unless Texas boys really are pu**ies. I love listening to the crying of girlie-men rubbing their hands together in 30 degree temps complaining about the cold. My gawd, here in Wisconsin that's still 'shorts' weather. All I'd say to that worry is "GROW A PAIR".

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please remind me why we're wasting a draft pick when Harrell looked damn good in the preaseaon last year... Colt should stay away, give me some more prospects from the draft.

Agreed, Harrell will be our back up. Even if we get Colt somehow.. graham already proved he's better in my eyes when he led his team to a win against McCoy in college.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see where the "Dump Hawk" troupe is out dancing in unison. I will grant you that Hawk isn't the high-impact guy that seems to draw the approvals of the young guys, or that some would like to see in a 1st round #5 pick, but, the guy plays his position. Heck of a team guy...and in that regard, I'll keep him.

I think the Hawk antipathy is due to our #5 pick's never living up to his expectations. But I think you are underestimating his ineffectiveness. He is a team guy, knows the defense, but when he went down DJ Smith outplayed him.

I hope that Hawk accepts a reworking of his contract because he is being paid too much. Hey, I hope he proves all of us wrong next year, but I won't hold my breath over it.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

I'm on the fence about McCoy. He was good in college, but injury prone. I'd like to see him brought in to training camp, and maybe have him start the final pre-season game with the rest of the #1's for about 2 series, just to see what he can do with talent around him. He didn't have a lot of talent at Texas, and he had virtually nothing at Cleveland.

The negative on McCoy is simply that we DON'T KNOW what he can do with talent. We know Graham Harrell carried Tech with really only Michael Crabtree. From that standpoint, I'd rather have Harrell. If Rodgers and Flynn had gone down in week one last year, Graham Harrell could've at least gotten us to a wildcard berth.

If Ted DOES decide to trade for him, I wouldn't give up higher than a 4 for him.

kiracat424

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely not.! Develop Graham Harrell into the QB that he can be. I doubt that with an ego like Colt's he would stand being a 3rd QB. We do not need him. Period.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agree or not, McCoy wasn't a bad QB for the Browns, he isn't great either but with proper coaching he could be a serviceable backup and a stop-gap starter, not that the Packers needed him.

btw, I never said I would trade for him, only that that was the most I'd be willing to give for him, and depended on what else I could get.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Personally I would love it. My daughter in-law is a Cowgirls fan but just loves Colt. I would have that over her. Besides being a better team and being the REAL Americas team.

joshsup17

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colt is possibly going to be cut, I think he could be ok in our system.. Doubtful he would be looking at a ton of money. It has been a year, do you think now we would re-entertain this option?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. Why not? You guy's can't honestly think Graham Harrell is the answer at backup, i can't beleive sombody said he would get us a Wild Card if #12 went down? uhhh no way. Unless you have a dog at rb like Ponder who is average at best has AD no way we ride the arm of Graham Harrell to the playoffs. He's not that type of QB.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Yes. Why not? You guy's can't honestly think Graham Harrell is the answer at backup, i can't beleive sombody said he would get us a Wild Card if #12 went down? uhhh no way. Unless you have a dog at rb like Ponder who is average at best has AD no way we ride the arm of Graham Harrell to the playoffs. He's not that type of QB.

Colt is one of the biggest cry babies in the NFL. He lacks leadership and 90% of the other skills it takes to be an NFL style QB. He will be lucky if he plays in Canada. After that dirty hit he took, his MOTHER actually called in to complain about it...LMAO....awwwww.....mommy still needs to call the bullies parents to make him apologize for beating up her wittle bitty baby....lol. What a joke. That dude plain out sucks.

H

HardRightEdge

Colt is one of the biggest cry babies in the NFL. He lacks leadership and 90% of the other skills it takes to be an NFL style QB. He will be lucky if he plays in Canada. After that dirty hit he took, his MOTHER actually called in to complain about it...LMAO....awwwww.....mommy still needs to call the bullies parents to make him apologize for beating up her wittle bitty baby....lol. What a joke. That dude plain out sucks.

Both Mom and Dad called coach, and Dad popped off in the press:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...wns-for-letting-colt-play-after-blow-to-head/

Cleveland drafted a 28 year old QB out of desperation for a reason.

No, no and no.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Colt has potential, If he had gotten to sit for a while he might have been alright. I just don't see us shelling out a pick for him.

Cleveland drafted a 28 year old QB out of desperation for a reason
And there's a reason those guys are no longer there.

H

HardRightEdge

Weeden is still a Brown, as if that matters to the topic other than to illustrate how desperate the Browns were to bench McCoy. As for the rest, there's no room for Mommy and Daddy..

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Weeden is still a Brown, as if that matters to the topic other than to illustrate how desperate the Browns were to bench McCoy. As for the rest, there's no room for Mommy and Daddy..
McCoy is only 2 years younger, and Weeden is still developing. Being a recent pick with a lot of contract left doesn't hurt him either. But alas the damage has been done, and McCoy got Carr'd. Doubt he ever does well, especially holding those apron strings.

joshsup17

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colt has potential, If he had gotten to sit for a while he might have been alright. I just don't see us shelling out a pick for him.

I understand not shelling out a pick, but it is very likely that they are going to cut him. So it wouldn't be a loss, and to be honest Harrell scares the **** out of me. Then again I really haven't seen much of McCoy except when threw him around in the BIG 12 game a few years back.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I understand not shelling out a pick, but it is very likely that they are going to cut him. So it wouldn't be a loss, and to be honest Harrell scares the **** out of me. Then again I really haven't seen much of McCoy except when threw him around in the BIG 12 game a few years back.
I have hope for Coleman, but I still expect we'll add one more QB to the mix. MM likes to have 4 guys in camp.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for bringing McCoy to GB? Won't happen...I read where the Browns were looking to shake "one" of our young receivers ... I'm speculating but, I'd bet my skivvies that would be #18.

Are you implying that the Browns would want Cobb in a trade for McCoy?

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers feel the need to bring him in unless if there was absolutely no risk to them. No draft picks, no guaranteed money. Unlikely but it's possible.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft and develop.

Spending money and picks on a back up QB seems like a terrible idea. Rodgers misses any time and we are F'd. The drop off from Rodgers to some of the STARTING QBs in the league is huge. Let alone bringing in a career back up.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Draft and develop.

Spending money and picks on a back up QB seems like a terrible idea. Rodgers misses any time and we are F'd. The drop off from Rodgers to some of the STARTING QBs in the league is huge. Let alone bringing in a career back up.
Well that's kind of the point isn't it ivo? Your backups being able to fill the void if your starters go down? So you're okay with status quo? It's acceptable to not think about a somewhat efficient game manager who can get you through a few games and get you a playoff? You know, so your regular guy can get healthy?
If a Colt McCoy can get us one more rung on the ladder that is the playoffs it's worth a look isn't it? If it costs us nothing I mean. I think a 6th or 7th rounder would be about right. I think the Packers might take a look at a developmental guy at those rounds.

Members online

Latest posts