With their 1st Pick in the 2018 NFL Draft the Packers select...

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get thinking that Josh Allen isn't good, but the other top guys are top QB's in every draft. Easy first rounders. Easy.

I like Lauletta, as a backup. Rudolph is just ok. Mike White is Tom Savage or Mike Glennon, at best.

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let’s play a scenario. If the packers trade up to 5 and Josh Allen is there, what would you do? Aaron Rodgers is around the same age Brett was when Ted drafted him. The Allen kid is one intriguing talent! Big kid w/ a bazooka for a arm. But the kid needs to sit at least one yr but would benefit sitting two yrs. learning from AR on the field, & in the film room would do wonders for Allen! Much like sitting behind Favre did for AR. I’d draft Allen in a second if there at 5! Will the pack move up to 5? Probably not. But it’s sure fun to play the what if game.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Let’s play a scenario. If the packers trade up to 5 and Josh Allen is there, what would you do? Aaron Rodgers is around the same age Brett was when Ted drafted him. The Allen kid is one intriguing talent! Big kid w/ a bazooka for a arm. But the kid needs to sit at least one yr but would benefit sitting two yrs. learning from AR on the field, & in the film room would do wonders for Allen! Much like sitting behind Favre did for AR. I’d draft Allen in a second if there at 5! Will the pack move up to 5? Probably not. But it’s sure fun to play the what if game.
Then we have Allen, Hundley, Kizer, Rodgers and Callahan. I would be disgusted if the Packers traded up for a QB in this draft.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Heck no, Rodgers has a good 5 years left in him. Not too long ago maybe a few seasons ago he said that he was at his half way point. Hes also said he wants to play till 40.
Too early, I’d wait at least until he has a drop off in play before I draft his replacement.

At 5 you can get a guy like Chubb or even Barkley who could help us compete right now in Rodgers prime while we’re a contender.

And anyway, If anyone it should be Rosen Haha

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would rather redraft Jeff Janis than see the Packers use a first, second or third rounder on a QB. :coffee:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd trade #5 to NE or Buffalo for both their #1s and #2s. Try to recoup the wasted picks that got us to #5.

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josh Allen is a mobile version of Phillip Rivers but w/ s bigger arm! I can’t wsit for Allen to prove you haters wrong!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josh Allen is a mobile version of Phillip Rivers but w/ s bigger arm! I can’t wsit for Allen to prove you haters wrong!
Curious to see how he does. He can throw the ball 80 yards, this requires defenses to cover more of the field. His problem is with accuracy, and inaccurate QBs have a tough time making it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I honestly couldn't tell you much about any of the top 6 QB's, nor do I hate any of them. This is only because I haven't even considered that the Packers would draft any of them. I would be disappointed if the Packers did. They have #12, who should be a viable QB for longer than any QB that the Packers would draft this year would be under their rookie contract. Spending that kind of draft capital, when you have more pressing needs, on a "possible starting QB" that may never suit up as a Packer starter, just doesn't make sense to me.

The whole "we drafted Rodgers when Favre was this age" argument doesn't make sense to me either. The Packer front office was growing weary of Favre and so there was probably a nagging feeling of "we better start looking" and when Aaron Rodgers, a guy who was talked about being the #1 pick that year, falls into their laps at #24, it was just a smart pick by TT at the time.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers have a better QB prospect than Allen behind Rodgers at the moment.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers have a better QB prospect than Allen behind Rodgers at the moment.
I am sure hoping so. Kizer was thought highly of by the Packers coming out of college. I doubt he ends up replacing Rodgers, due to timing of careers, but if nothing else, he turns into a decent backup and eventual trade bait. Time to reunite him with EQ Brown!

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am cool with the Packers moving up but not super far. I think they have enough needs that losing too many picks just isn't worth it. If ward james and Fitzpatrick start to slide then go for it. At the same time I fear moving up will be costly with teams wanting to move up to draft a qb

OP
OP
elcid

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be really disappointed if we traded up high enough so that we would have to hand in our third or second rounder, especially considering we have so many other glaring holes (CB, EDGE, WR, ILB, OL, TE). Furthermore it is very likely that any of the "elite non QB talents" in Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, Ward, Fitzpatrick, James, Smith and Edmunds is still going to be there at 14.

Rather have us trade up in the second since some premier talent will fall out of the first and the price to move up to the first picks of the second is way smaller.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be really disappointed if we traded up high enough so that we would have to hand in our third or second rounder, especially considering we have so many other glaring holes (CB, EDGE, WR, ILB, OL, TE). Furthermore it is very likely that any of the "elite non QB talents" in Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, Ward, Fitzpatrick, James, Smith and Edmunds is still going to be there at 14.

Rather have us trade up in the second since some premier talent will fall out of the first and the price to move up to the first picks of the second is way smaller.

Think big, brother. I'd rather have a big time impact player than the 3rd rounder.
Stand by, since the word is the Pack is trading up; even have an article on it at cbssports.com. Various sites are saying with their most in the league 12 picks, the Packers may 'turn the draft on it's ear'.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There seems to be a dividing line being drawn between "Top Tier Talent" and "Next Tier Talent". I would define the "top tier" as those that most mocks have in the top 10 and are talked about as sure things. The "Next Tier" are all the players that grade as first round picks, but could go anywhere from right after the top tier to the middle of the second round.

When you add the most probable 5-6 QB's into those two pools and the few guys who jump between pools, the Packers (at #14) are clearly sitting right on the edge of both pools. I think they and the media/fans talking about it, have realized this. So if the Packers want to jump into that Top Pool...they may have to trade up, kind of a no brainer if it isn't too expensive (3rd round), but how far in do you swim? Or they sit pat and hope one of the top players falls to #14. But what if that doesn't happen and the Packers find themselves looking at nothing but a large group of "Next Tier Talent". Do they make the best of it and just grab who they think is the best player that fills a need, or do they try to trade back to grab 2 guys from that pool?

It is going to be a fun night, which Pool will the Packers be swimming in?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree. I make this comment just on general principal, not because I've studied these guys in depth or anything, but It always seems these can't miss guys that get talked about from start to finish, sure have a lot of misses in that first round. Especially can't miss DB's. I'd rather have 2 stabs at hitting the right one in that 2nd and 3rd round than spend them to take a chance at one guy in the 1st.

and as I type this I realize, I don't really care. Nothing matters if the pick doesn't turn out and I don't really care what position in the draft or what position on the field they play if they turn into an All Pro.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There seems to be a dividing line being drawn between "Top Tier Talent" and "Next Tier Talent". I would define the "top tier" as those that most mocks have in the top 10 and are talked about as sure things. The "Next Tier" are all the players that grade as first round picks, but could go anywhere from right after the top tier to the middle of the second round.

When you add the most probable 5-6 QB's into those two pools and the few guys who jump between pools, the Packers (at #14) are clearly sitting right on the edge of both pools. I think they and the media/fans talking about it, have realized this. So if the Packers want to jump into that Top Pool...they may have to trade up, kind of a no brainer if it isn't too expensive (3rd round), but how far in do you swim? Or they sit pat and hope one of the top players falls to #14. But what if that doesn't happen and the Packers find themselves looking at nothing but a large group of "Next Tier Talent". Do they make the best of it and just grab who they think is the best player that fills a need, or do they try to trade back to grab 2 guys from that pool?

It is going to be a fun night, which Pool will the Packers be swimming in?

I think it just depends if they think there is a prospect who is a clear game-changer who is head and shoulders above the rest at a position of need. Let's suppose that's Bradley Chubb and he's still there at #5. Do the Packers make the jump, which would cost a lot? Or let's say it's Minkah Fitzpatrick or Derwin James, one of whom is still there at #10? A lot less expensive.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you have a chance to get impact players, you get 'em. Screw it's expensive. This team has settled, preffereing to play it safe and hope for the best with 2nd and 3rd tier talent long enough. You win with impact players.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Latest packer rumors:

They are trying to move up
Denzel Ward may slide from top 10
Packers really like Ward

I think these rumors are related and we are going to trade with Oakland to take Ward. Probably cost us our 3rd and I'm not in favor of that.

If it is our 2nd to move up for chubb, I think that would be worth it. Not more. We need to get a CB and a WR early as well. Besides, rumors say the Raiders are trying to move up for chubb and will be able to outbid us. I doubt we end up with chubb today.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Latest packer rumors:

They are trying to move up
Denzel Ward may slide from top 10
Packers really like Ward

I think these rumors are related and we are going to trade with Oakland to take Ward. Probably cost us our 3rd and I'm not in favor of that.

If it is our 2nd to move up for chubb, I think that would be worth it. Not more. We need to get a CB and a WR early as well. Besides, rumors say the Raiders are trying to move up for chubb and will be able to outbid us. I doubt we end up with chubb today.

If trading up and using our 3rd rounder to do it lands us THE guy we wanted, I am in favor of it. With 10 more picks, we should have enough draft capital to trade back into the 3rd round if we want to.

12 picks, use them wisely to get the best 6/7 players.

Members online

Latest posts