With their 1st Pick in the 2018 NFL Draft the Packers select...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If trading up and using our 3rd rounder to do it lands us THE guy we wanted, I am in favor of it. With 10 more picks, we should have enough draft capital to trade back into the 3rd round if we want to.

12 picks, use them wisely to get the best 6/7 players.
trade up and Get 6 or 7 players or Pick 12 and hit on 6 or 7 of them, i don't care how they do it :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
trade up and Get 6 or 7 players or Pick 12 and hit on 6 or 7 of them, i don't care how they do it :)
I'm all in favor of keeping a pick or 2 at the end of the draft to lock up the guys we would otherwise have to recruit and compete with 31 other teams to sign as UDFA's, but I would prefer using as many of the "extra" picks to move up to hopefully get 6-7 "better" players. While there is no guarantee that the higher someone is drafted, the higher the likelihood of them making an impact, which I believe is your point, I do think in some cases less (less picks but higher picks) is more. Would I want to see the Packers blow 1/2 their picks to move up to take one guy? No way.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all in favor of keeping a pick or 2 at the end of the draft to lock up the guys we would otherwise have to recruit and compete with 31 other teams to sign as UDFA's, but I would prefer using as many of the "extra" picks to move up to hopefully get 6-7 "better" players. While there is no guarantee that the higher someone is drafted, the higher the likelihood of them making an impact, which I believe is your point, I do think in some cases less (less picks but higher picks) is more. Would I want to see the Packers blow 1/2 their picks to move up to take one guy? No way.
My only point is, get the guys you want and hit on a lot of them. I'd like to see another 3 or so that become at solid players out of this draft, at least 1 impact guy at any number of positions and 2 depth rotational guys. I think that would be a good draft. If they think moving up to get Ward or Derwin is there man and he becomes Woodson or Collins, I don't care if they trade up to get him. If they don't move up and pick 3 in the mid rounds and get a McKenzie and Harris type plyers, i'm good with that too.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's sickening to think that a CB may be selected at #14. Even worse, is that is almost a necessity. 4 of the last 6 picks the first 2 rounds have been for the defensive backfield, which is still a huge issue. More resources should had been spent in FA , and the picks spread out among other positions. How exactly do you had little cap space while paying your CBs almost nothing? Terrible management.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My only point is, get the guys you want and hit on a lot of them. I'd like to see another 3 or so that become at solid players out of this draft, at least 1 impact guy at any number of positions and 2 depth rotational guys. I think that would be a good draft. If they think moving up to get Ward or Derwin is there man and he becomes Woodson or Collins, I don't care if they trade up to get him. If they don't move up and pick 3 in the mid rounds and get a McKenzie and Harris type plyers, i'm good with that too.

Agreed. I think the goal of every draft should be to get 1-2 eventual impact starters and 2-3 more guys that play key roles for depth and possibly grow into a starting position. If you look back at the Packers last 5 or so drafts, the 2015 draft was probably where they failed the most at this, which is part of the reason we are thin at CB and WR.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd look to make this a 2-3 player draft(hopefully 3-4). By that, I mean players who start and are upgrades and difference makers from day 1. We don't need 12 or more picks- most of them day3- who will be practice squadders if they even make the team, and have little to no impact short or long term.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd look to make this a 2-3 player draft(hopefully 3-4). By that, I mean players who start and are upgrades and difference makers from day 1. We don't need 12 or more picks- most of them day3- who will be practice squadders if they even make the team, and have little to no impact short or long term.

While I would love that, I would call that overly optimistic, at least to find 2-3 guys who start and are upgrades from day 1. I would expect that from Cleveland, given their not that good and have 4 high picks.

I would be fine with an impact day one starter at CB or a rotational EDGE guy that eventually takes Clay's starting job. This would probably be your first rounder. The rest of the picks, see how they do in camp and the preseason and hope they begin to contribute and eventually become starters over the next 2-4 years. You look at guys like Jordy, Cobb, Adams, Rodgers and they weren't impact players in their first year or more.

Relying too much on Rookies to fill starting roles I feel is a ***** trap that can handcuff a GM not to take steps in Free Agency to fill holes.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's sickening to think that a CB may be selected at #14. Even worse, is that is almost a necessity. 4 of the last 6 picks the first 2 rounds have been for the defensive backfield, which is still a huge issue. More resources should had been spent in FA , and the picks spread out among other positions. How exactly do you had little cap space while paying your CBs almost nothing? Terrible management.

While I agree with this and maybe by "management" you are including coaching, but I would put some of that blame on coaching and bad luck (Rollins and Randall).

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am hoping that Gute really knows what he is doing and listens but ultimately makes his own decisions. We could come out of this 3 day draft with an upgraded team.

Paddypacker12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a scenario where the Packers opt not to trade up is it fair to say that the key player in this draft for the Packers is Lamar Jackson. In that if he is one of 5 QB's taken before #14 and Washington take Vea as widely projected then there should be an elite talent at 14 that the Packers would be happy with. Possibly Fitzpatrick going by the mocks.

If Jackson is still on the board at #14 and the elite guys gone should the Packers then look to trade back with a team looking for a QB. With the Cardinals possibly in for a QB at #15 that may be where the value is. Then possibly look to trade back up in the 2nd if there's someone there they like.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I will be cheering every QB taken with picks 1-13. I will also be hoping to hear the names of Vita Vea, Lamar Jackson and Mike McGlinchey. If 4/5 QB's go and we hear those 3 names, I think the Packers are sitting at #14 with a shot at one of Fitz, Ward or James.

4 picks (QB's)
2 picks (Barkley and Nelson)
Chubb
R. Smith
Edmunds
Vea
McGlinchey
Fitz, Ward, James

D

Deleted member 6794

If the Packers want to play man, Alexander and Hughes make a lot more sense that Josh Jackson. If they want to play a lot of zone, Jackson is the guy. Why don't we compromise and draft Minkah.

I wouldn't mind drafting Fitzpatrick but you have to consider that nearly all teams play more zone than man coverage in the NFL.

Big tackles with the ability to run block are hard to find. Mike McGlinchey. Hey...he is who I want.

With the Packers predominantly relying on throwing the ball I don't want them to spend the 14th pick on a tackle excelling in run blocking.

Im sure the versatile James would do too. I might actually prefer James since we do not know what we have in Jones yet, while James is also able to man ILB and Slot CB.

James would be my favorite pick.

I’d be happy w/ Edmunds or Smith! Pack already has a Chubb type in Nick Perry.

Chubb is an elite edge rusher who could replace Matthews next season though.

People are sayin it’s for Ward or Derwin James

I would be extremely excited if the Packers end up drafting James.

Let’s play a scenario. If the packers trade up to 5 and Josh Allen is there, what would you do? Aaron Rodgers is around the same age Brett was when Ted drafted him. The Allen kid is one intriguing talent! Big kid w/ a bazooka for a arm. But the kid needs to sit at least one yr but would benefit sitting two yrs. learning from AR on the field, & in the film room would do wonders for Allen! Much like sitting behind Favre did for AR. I’d draft Allen in a second if there at 5! Will the pack move up to 5? Probably not. But it’s sure fun to play the what if game.

:rolleyes:

I'd trade #5 to NE or Buffalo for both their #1s and #2s. Try to recoup the wasted picks that got us to #5.

It would be a risky move as the Packers couldn't be sure another team would trade up to #5 though.

I am sure hoping so. Kizer was thought highly of by the Packers coming out of college. I doubt he ends up replacing Rodgers, due to timing of careers, but if nothing else, he turns into a decent backup and eventual trade bait.

Last offseason a lot of posters thought Hundley would fetch a decent draft pick in return.

When you have a chance to get impact players, you get 'em. Screw it's expensive. This team has settled, preffereing to play it safe and hope for the best with 2nd and 3rd tier talent long enough. You win with impact players.

I mostly agree but no matter who the Packers end up drafting in the first round some positions will remain in need of an upgrade. Therefore they shouldn't trade away the majority of their early picks.

While I fully understand the chances are slim it's possible to end up with an impact player later in the draft as well though. In addition first round picks bust all the time.

Once again, I'm not opposed to moving up in the first round but Gutekunst shouldn't pay too much to make it work.

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time to get serious. If Davenport is there at 14 he’s the guy. If Davenport is gone & no CB is really worth taking at 14 than replace Jordy with Calvin Ridley. Since the combine & the release of Jordy, I’ve always had a vibe that Gute could take Ridley if he stays out st 14. Ridley would be a nice complement besides Adams, plus the packers don’t have a blow the roof of the coverage type WR. Should be a fun night! Go pack go!

D

Deleted member 6794

Time to get serious. If Davenport is there at 14 he’s the guy. If Davenport is gone & no CB is really worth taking at 14 than replace Jordy with Calvin Ridley. Since the combine & the release of Jordy, I’ve always had a vibe that Gute could take Ridley if he stays out st 14. Ridley would be a nice complement besides Adams, plus the packers don’t have a blow the roof of the coverage type WR. Should be a fun night! Go pack go!

I would be disappointed if the Packers end up selecting Davenport or Ridley at #14.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with this and maybe by "management" you are including coaching, but I would put some of that blame on coaching and bad luck (Rollins and Randall).
I agree that a team is never going to hit on all of the picks. But if you've spent 5 of your last 8 early picks in one particular unit, and all that you have to show for it is one average-above average player in HHCD, that's a tremendous waste of resources. I'd love to draft an edge player or receiver , or a difference maker like R. Smith, but we don't even have a secondary and will have to continue to put bandages in a wound which can't seem to heal

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind drafting Fitzpatrick but you have to consider that nearly all teams play more zone than man coverage in the NFL.

Yes, I do think that's an important consideration, and you know that I do like Jackson, but traditionally Pettine has deployed a lot more man coverage than your average DC. So unless he plans to do things differently (and that's possible-- I'm not saying it's a foregone conclusion that he's going to do exactly what he's always done), it's hard for me to see the fit of a corner whose primary value is in zone.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree that a team is never going to hit on all of the picks. But if you've spent 5 of your last 8 early picks in one particular unit, and all that you have to show for it is one average-above average player in HHCD, that's a tremendous waste of resources. I'd love to draft an edge player or receiver , or a difference maker like R. Smith, but we don't even have a secondary and will have to continue to put bandages in a wound which can't seem to heal

I assume by 5 you mean:
  1. Ha Ha
  2. Randall
  3. Rollins
  4. King
  5. Jones
I don't think we have enough info on King and Jones yet to say they were a bust or a bad pick. I actually like both players, my only concern is King's shoulder.

Rollins....guessing he is a bust, but still not 100% a bust, since he is still a Packer...yet.

Randall....Well, some still like him. I personally didn't and say for a first rounder, was a bust but at least we got some trade value out of him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One factor that I don't know if its been talked about, but between Ward, Fitz and James, Ward is the only one of them that has played most of his football in "Green Bay like conditions." Now granted, Ohio in November isn't the Frozen tundra, but Ward played H.S. Ball in Ohio as well and knows what cold playing conditions are. Fitz did play his H.S. Ball in New Jersey, but James has strictly been a Florida guy.

It's a small variable, but one that goes in favor of Ward, IMO.

H

HardRightEdge

Trading up for a nickel corner would be such a bonehead move....
Would it, though? The game has changed.

Strong safety, box safety, nickel corner and hybrid ILB overlap and merge. #1 and #2 targets are increasingly coming out of the slot, whether a WR or a TE. Then there are the pass catching RBs that are coming into vogue.

So, if you find a guy with the quickness and speeed to cover a range of receivers, with the physicality to handle TEs and defend the run, and the smarts to handle zone coverage, that guy being a top pick is justified. He doesn't have to be a 2 down player. He doesn't just have to just cover Landrys, Amendolas and Senus and otherwise sit on the bench. James fits the mold of 3 down player.

Fitzpatrick is more in the FS / CB mold where he could start as nickel corner, back up at safety, take over for Clinton-Dix next year, and maybe even beat out somebody for perimeter corner or rotate to the perimeter against certain matchups.

It's a matchup game. Having guys who project well to a variety of roles is highly valuable.

Now, we have the Rapaport rumor of a trade up. Gutekunst (or Gutey if you prefer) spoke of the talent "cliffs" on the board where at certain points there are drop offs. One could certainly argue that such a cliff sits right around #14. If the rumor is true, and it is certainly plausible, the default assumption should be he's thinking about Ward. But that might require going up to #6 if Indy is willing, and that would be costly, perhaps the #14, #45 and a kicker or kickers of some value, perhaps the #76 and another pick. Moving up to #6 would generally require at least a small premium payment over the draft chart value.

Alternatively, moving up just a couple of slots for Fitzpatrick or James would be less costly for a player who may have an equivalent grade, fills a need, and provides scheme flexibility. This would not be a bonehead move.

If he can't swing the trade for the guy he wants and then hits the cliff, I'd expect he'd try to move down.

Prearranged conditional trades based on the availability of a single player or group of players might not pan out at all. You could look to trade up to #10 and all three of the aformentioned players could be off the board already. In-the-moment trades as the board plays out are difficult to arrange on the spur of the moment even with 5 guys working the phones.

In short, what fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In today's game, your #3 CB is basically a starter, and #4 will usually see a good amount of playing time.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think we have enough info on King and Jones yet to say they were a bust or a bad pick. I actually like both players, my only concern is King's shoulder.

I'm concerned about Jones' instincts a bit as well.

Who’s the packers speed guy at WR going to be? And a consistent pass rush helps any secondary out! Who you picking at 14 and why?

Derwin James presents the best case scenario in my opinion as he's a top tier defensive player that fills a need. There are other decent options later in the draft for the Packers to select a wide receiver with some speed.