With just signing two defensive free agents, the Packers still lack depth on defense

D

Deleted member 6794

They may have the left over cap money marked to lock up 2018 FA's. Who knows.......

That would be absolutely lunatic as Thompson could have improved this year's team with the unused cap space. With only a few starters headed for free agency in 2018 there's no need to roll over a ton of money either.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have lost three of our own and signed two 'new' players. (Perry is neither gain nor loss) The math says that's a net loss.

The players we did sign are at positions of need, one is a trade off, the other at a position we didn't lose at. We did, however lose two at OLB and neither has been replaced.

Signing free agents isn't the objective here folks. It's signing 'better players'! If all we do is rotate equivalent players, all we ever will be is the same.

On offense, we lost two starter quality OL and one starting quality TE and one starting quality RB. We signed one starting TE and one solid #2 TE. Again, a net loss. An improvement at a position we haven't had for a long time, but dangerous losses in our Franchise Protectors.. Lacy, even though he is a starter when healthy, there is no guarantee he will ever be full strength again so not so worried about him.

Hey Aaron, Clay and Randall, how bout you restructure your deals down so Ted can 'over pay' some other talent that helps you win you more Super Bowls and subsequently, gets you more sponsorship deals to pad your bank accounts. I'm sorry, but I just don't have pity for someone who thinks $10 million dollars + per year isn't enough money. And that's before their sponsor deals.

I work in a job where if I make a mistake, hundreds of people could lose their lives and I won't see a million dollars the rest of my life. If AR makes a mistake, what, he doesn't get to go to the Pro Bowl? Win the MVP?

The NFL is losing viewers because people are getting sick of the greed. Sick of Billionaire owners holding cities and their citizens hostage for funding their stadiums. And players who's only interest is their personal branding and bank accounts.

H

HardRightEdge

If TT gives this putrid defense to Capers along with a couple of rookies and unfa, he should be fired for incompetence. He will again have sabotaged the season. We all know by now that Rodgers can drag the team to the playoffs but TT's defenses either get blown out or can't hold a lead in crunch time. It's not 2010 anymore. Pathetic defense is the hallmark of the franchise given that they have set the record for the longest stretch of futile playoff appearances without getting to the SB.
Maybe it's Thompson's grand design to get Murphy and McCarthy behind firing Capers. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

The NFL is losing viewers because people are getting sick of the greed. Sick of Billionaire owners holding cities and their citizens hostage for funding their stadiums. And players who's only interest is their personal branding and bank accounts.
Nah. Some took a hiatus from the game to watch our national nightmare unfold on cable TV. Beer consumption was falling in tandem. Viewers started coming back after the election. The question going forward is not money and greed in the game; it's whether the ongoing reality TV program unfolding on cable news will continue to steal share.

That said, the NFL market is at or near saturation. Fantasy football gambling gave the league a push for a couple of years, but that's probably near saturation as well. They've put on a PR push to get more women engaged. But the real money is in international expansion which they cannot seem to get off the ground.

But fans dropping interest in the game over greed? That's been said since free agency was instituted, and it's yet to show it's affect.

What would put a serious dent in NFL interest would be a gambling scandal. On to Las Vegas!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

We have lost three of our own and signed two 'new' players. (Perry is neither gain nor loss) The math says that's a net loss.

The players we did sign are at positions of need, one is a trade off, the other at a position we didn't lose at. We did, however lose two at OLB and neither has been replaced.

Signing free agents isn't the objective here folks. It's signing 'better players'! If all we do is rotate equivalent players, all we ever will be is the same.

On offense, we lost two starter quality OL and one starting quality TE and one starting quality RB. We signed one starting TE and one solid #2 TE. Again, a net loss. An improvement at a position we haven't had for a long time, but dangerous losses in our Franchise Protectors.. Lacy, even though he is a starter when healthy, there is no guarantee he will ever be full strength again so not so worried about him.

The Packers currently aren't a better team than they were entering this offseason which is disappointing. While the additions of Bennett and Kendricks improved the tight end position and Jean Francois improves the depth on the defensive line the team hasn't made any move to make up for losing Lang, Tretter, Peppers as well as Jones and most importantly hasn't addressed the position in most dire need of an upgrade at cornerback.

Thompson will fix some of the holes through the draft but I'm not convinced that overall the roster will be any better entering this season than it was in 2016.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers currently aren't a better team than they were entering this offseason which is disappointing. While the additions of Bennett and Kendricks improved the tight end position and Jean Francois improves the depth on the defensive line the team hasn't made any move to make up for losing Lang, Tretter, Peppers as well as Jones and most importantly hasn't addressed the position in most dire need of an upgrade at cornerback.

Thompson will fix some of the holes through the draft but I'm not convinced that overall the roster will be any better entering this season than it was in 2016.
I'm not convinced either. Which is highly disappointing.

Hopefully he surprises us with a couple of "outa nowhere" splash moves. :confused: :(

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Your post only deals with names on the roster. It does not take into account the growth and development of players currently on the roster. This is the type of post we see every year from people in late March that think that players will perform at the same level they saw them at the season prior. It is not realistic imo.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Your post only deals with names on the roster. It does not take into account the growth and development of players currently on the roster. This is the type of post we see every year from people in late March that think that players will perform at the same level they saw them at the season prior. It is not realistic imo.
I don't think he's disregarding that. However, soley relying upon improvements from current players on the roster is a very skeptical approach to say the least.

D

Deleted member 6794

While it's possible that some players on the roster make a significant jump next season it's also possible the performance of several others regresses in 2017. Randall and Rollins serve as examples for the latter.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While it's possible that some players on the roster make a significant jump next season it's also possible the performance of several others regresses in 2017. Randall and Rollins serve as examples for the latter.
Yes it is possible that players regress. What do we see more of from our 1-3 yr players, regression or progression?

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes it is possible that players regress. What do we see more of from our 1-3 yr players, regression or progression?

Well, last season Adams, Montgomery, Ryan and Ripkowski progressed while Randall, Rollins, Rodgers as well as several others that didn't have a significant role early in their careers regressed.

I guess the numbers balance each other.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Are you talking about Jeff Janis or the "average" player?

Both or lose them in Free agency the following year. :unsure:

Or we see them spinning their wheels in the mud, meet Jeff Janis, Richard Rodgers, Christian Michael, Don Barclay, Demetri Goodson and all those that came before them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What do we see more of from our 1-3 yr players, regression or progression?
First, I'd like to say like many in here I'm disappointed in us not resigning several of our FA's. I think it comes down to a deal by deal negotiating philosophy and we got caught off guard (no pun) by several players opting out when we might have thought we weren't done with individual negotiations. The sum of a teams net loss/gain is a combination of those individual moves and it didn't play out quite like we'd hoped.
That said, my guess is that players with 1-3 years of seasoning should more often improve (there's always exceptions here)
My hope is.. while I think we can agree we have a net loss in FA (significant).. I believe we will see a slight to moderate improvement overall in many of our young players because, if you recall, we were a very young team last year outside of Peppers etc..
I'm also excited to see if guys like Jayrone rise to the occasion. I believe certain players like him, given an opportunity and some inspirational mentoring, could cancel out a loss like Datone

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
First, I'd like to say like many in here I'm disappointed in us not resigning several of our FA's. I think it comes down to a deal by deal negotiating philosophy and we got caught off guard (no pun) by several players opting out when we might have thought we weren't done with individual negotiations. The sum of a teams net loss/gain is a combination of those individual moves and it didn't play out quite like we'd hoped.
That said, my guess is that players with 1-3 years of seasoning should more often improve (there's always exceptions here)
My hope is.. while I think we can agree we have a net loss in FA (significant).. I believe we will see a slight to moderate improvement overall in many of our young players because, if you recall, we were a very young team last year outside of Peppers etc..
I'm also excited to see if guys like Jayrone rise to the occasion. I believe certain players like him, given an opportunity and some inspirational mentoring, could cancel out a loss like Datone
Agree, Datone Jones' production shouldn't be very difficult to replace. He signed a bigger contract than was probably warranted. We have now entered the buyers market imo.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Exactly! Who knows what players will regress like Randall and Rollins next year?! Maybe Kenny Clark could fall apart? The possibilities are not really limitless but there are still lots of possibilities!!!! :D

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no issue losing any player we lost in FA. I DO however, have something against losing them all.

TT sets an 'I want' price and that's it. If he doesn't get what he wants for how much he wants, he quits. TT thinks his price is the market price and more times than not, it isn't.

His definition of 'over priced', is not the market's definition. He expects everyone to accept his definition, and few are ever in agreement.

We try to justify his cap roll over by saying'he is prepping to re-sign his own FAs. Well, he isn't. He's just being stingy. He thinks stingy builds championship teams, it doesn't. All this money we are gonna roll over will be wasted on one contract, and that is AR. They guy we can least afford to overpay. Don't get me wrong, he is our best player, and he deserves to be the highest paid, but not at the expense of the rest of the team's needs.

We lost Shields and his 12 MIL salary. Why not pay 12 mil per for the top FA CB to replace him? How can you say that is overpaying someone? Shields contract was old money, not 2017 money. 12 MIL this off season is a cheaper contract than it was when Shields signed his. It would have been a bargain. But no, we didn't draft the guy so he can't play football.

We could have dropped 12 MIL on a guy and still given AR a raise and rolled over some cash. Or the very least you could have done is ensure the best OL this team has had for at least another 3 years. But no, TT just can't spend that money. He needs it, for what who knows, but it sure isn't for resigning key contributers other than his top four.

Every cent available should be leveraged for success, and if you get cap heavy every 3-4 years, so what. Cut bait, draft high and start over. You should be able to win a SB every 3 years or at least. But not being so stingy whenever proven talent is there to be had.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly! Who knows what players will regress like Randall and Rollins next year?! Maybe Kenny Clark could fall apart? The possibilities are not really limitless but there are still lots of possibilities!!!! :D
At even production, you have a net loss of talent from last year's team. I expect Clark and Lowry to make strides forward this year. I expect little progress from Fackrell until next year. I expect no progress at the CB position at all and a digression on the OL. And lord help us if Lindsey goes down.

TE now has depth and will help our running game, a movement upward. G-Mo should continue to develop but from Davis, I see nothing.

Overall, we lost more in bodies than potential will make up for. Strategy may be to simply draft entirely offense and just try to pulverize people and let the defense try to survive another year.

If TT drafts another tweeter DE/OLB fire his butt on the spot.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he's disregarding that. However, soley relying upon improvements from current players on the roster is a very skeptical approach to say the least.
I agree 100%. See Randall & Rollins. While their seasons were interrupted by injuries, they did not show improvement from year 1 to year 2 when they did play.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree 100%. See Randall & Rollins. While their seasons were interrupted by injuries, they did not show improvement from year 1 to year 2 when they did play.

Randall and Rollins were even significantly worse in 2016 than during their rookie seasons.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup. It is possible that a couple of guys could regress for any number of reasons. The general trend from the past has been that our young guys game improve with time. I'm specifically curious to see how guys like Martinez, Clark, Price and Brice do this year.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well anyway you want to dress up the defense
Yup. It is possible that a couple of guys could regress for any number of reasons. The general trend from the past has been that our young guys game improve with time. I'm specifically curious to see how guys like Martinez, Clark, Price and Brice do this year.

the general trend from the past has been our young guys improving? Wait really? If that was the case I don't think the defense would ever be bad lol

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well anyway you want to dress up the defense

the general trend from the past has been our young guys improving? Wait really? If that was the case I don't think the defense would ever be bad lol
I think Dix, Perry and Ryan all improved last year. I think the ugly barrage of injuries sidetracked the defense last year. Just my opinion.

Latest posts