Calls to Fire Dom Capers Went Silent on Sunday as the Green Bay Packers Defense Led Team to Victory

Do you feel that the Packer defense on Sunday was a fluke, or have they finally turned the corner?

• Yes

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
One outstanding performance against an overwhelmed offensive front, against a team which Capers has actually had success against in the recent past, doesn't even come close to negating the failures of this defense over the past few seasons.

One game doesn't equal consistency.

Reaction score
I didn't vote because I can't determine if it's one or the other yet. They looked improved on last year, particularly in getting pressure on a four man rush. I don't think it was a fluke, but let's keep in mind that a Seattle has a bad to awful offensive line as currently constructed, which didn't allow the Seahawks to get into any sort of offensive rhythm, and making the D look better than it probably really is. However, I'm going to need to see more consistency and more performances like yesterday before I'm comfortable saying they've turned a corner.

I am optimistic though, I think our offense is good enough that our defense doesn't have to be elite, they just need to be able to be above average and get some stops and force turnovers. Next week will be a good test

Edit: one other important thing to consider is depth. Unfortunately this team has a track record of piling up injuries as the year goes on, especially on defense. Even if yesterday was for real, if and when guys start going down, do we have guys that can come in and fill the void like we had in 2010? That's still very much in question

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Granted they played well. Seattle's oline isn't that good but i will not take away any progress made. Secodary still got burned on some plays. Overall liked what i saw on d. Hopefully they will gain confidence and continue to dominate like they did against seadoves.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's tough to know because let's not forget, the Hawks only scored one less point in this game than they did in last year's beatdown of them, and the Hawks usually have struggled against our defense. If I see really stellar performances against the Falcons and Saints, then I expect the pressure cooker will be turned down on Capers. But it does seem that progress has been made on that front ... hopefully.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm optimistic about the defense (exact opposite of how I felt at the end of last season), but it's too early to tell. Looks like the national media blamed the Seahawks loss on their poor offensive line. Most people are going to have to be convinced that our defense is good, and I can't fault them for that.

It's nice to see the defensive side of the ball show some pride for a change. They were probably aware that they were taking a whole lot of criticism over the summer. It's one thing to show up for one game, but it's another to do it for the year.

Also, is the way the poll is worded a joke?

H

HardRightEdge

Well, if the Packers go 16-0 with a league leading defense, then lose in the playoffs by giving up 200 yards and 3 TDs in the space of about 5 minutes, then you know what I'll say? Or if they lose by letting a QB run for 179 yards before contact?

Fire Capers.

Now, I've liked the speed, aggressiveness, pursuit, hitting and tackling throughout preseason which carried forward into week 1. Two questions: Where has it been lo these many years? Can it continue?

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope he keeps it fresh. Last year I felt his schemes became too simple. I still feel he would do a better job than me though. Just sayin'.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope he keeps it fresh. Last year I felt his schemes became too simple. I still feel he would do a better job than me though. Just sayin'.
I think he had to. Nobody in the secondary outside of Gunter was available for practice from week to week and hardly any of them played a complete game anymore by the end of the year it seemed. I may be exaggerating a bit, but it's hard to put a finished product when the pieces are constantly rotating in and our and there are always major players missing from practice

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Wow. I don't think I've ever heard anyone accuse Capers of having schemes that are too simple before.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the D line can be a strong piece of the D. If Clark keeps improving and looking impressive as he has,along with Big Mike playing lights out. Offenses will have to keep more players in to block instead of running and finding soft spots in our zones

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I initially voted no but changed it to a yes. The question/s was confusing. :confused: What I'm saying yes to is that they seem to have improved...not as bad as last year. And I get the feeling the players are pi$$ed after being humiliated last year.

However I want to see how they play against the Falcons. I don't think the Falcons played as poorly as they seemed nor do I think our defense is as good as they seemed.

So I guess I'm with the guys who are taking a wait and see approach.

H

HardRightEdge

Maybe I feel that way because of the players we had to fill positions.
With the exception of House for Gunter, the guys on the field on Sunday were the same defenders we ended with last season. Or for that matter, they were the same guys we started with last season with the exception of House in place of Shields. King, Jones, Brooks, Francois...not many snaps among them.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This. Pretty much the same guys who were the problem last year.
Thrilled with how they played Sunday. Fast and aggressive. But the Falcons on the road will be a better indication of improvement- or not.
With the exception of House for Gunter, the guys on the field on Sunday were the same defenders we ended with last season. Or for that matter, they were the same guys we started with last season with the exception of House in place of Shields. King, Jones, Brooks, Francois...not many snaps among them.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm optimistic about the defense (exact opposite of how I felt at the end of last season), but it's too early to tell. Looks like the national media blamed the Seahawks loss on their poor offensive line.

Also, is the way the poll is worded a joke?

Seriously. If I vote yes, am I saying Yes, they turned the corner, or Yes it was a fluke?

H

HardRightEdge

This. Pretty much the same guys who were the problem last year.
Thrilled with how they played Sunday. Fast and aggressive. But the Falcons on the road will be a better indication of improvement- or not.
Sh*t flows down downhill, sometimes sideways, sometimes up. Wherever it's coming from, there's an intensity and aggression in the play of the defense. Maybe Dom finally got the message and instilled some urgency. We 'll see if "la de da, la de da" habits are a thing of the past. Let's check back after week 21. ;)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't vote because I can't determine if it's one or the other yet. They looked improved on last year, particularly in getting pressure on a four man rush. I don't think it was a fluke, but let's keep in mind that a Seattle has a bad to awful offensive line as currently constructed, which didn't allow the Seahawks to get into any sort of offensive rhythm, and making the D look better than it probably really is. However, I'm going to need to see more consistency and more performances like yesterday before I'm comfortable saying they've turned a corner.

I am optimistic though, I think our offense is good enough that our defense doesn't have to be elite, they just need to be able to be above average and get some stops and force turnovers. Next week will be a good test

Edit: one other important thing to consider is depth. Unfortunately this team has a track record of piling up injuries as the year goes on, especially on defense. Even if yesterday was for real, if and when guys start going down, do we have guys that can come in and fill the void like we had in 2010? That's still very much in question
How can Seattle have a bad o-line with poor depth year after year? They must have a crummy GM. Fire Schneider!

Members online

Latest posts