Williams possibly holding out?

Eclipse612

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's weird news...

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/08/another ... s-holdout/

I mean, ok he's had 5 INTs last year, and he may be one of the future starters when Harris or Woodson prove they're done...but with that kind of attitude every nfl team would have 10 players holding out every year. I think that's ridiculous. But still I'd like to keep him.

Anyway, I hope this is not true.

UncleMeat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They gave him the minimum UFA tender, didn't they? That means any other team is free to offer him a contract, but the Packers get to match any offer. If he signed with another team, there would be no loss of draft picks by the team that signed him.

So... if he's such a star, why hasn't any other team made a move? To me, that means there are players with more talent or potential later in the draft or in free agency.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he holds out, that speaks A LOT about what kind of player he is. Grant was a full time starter and a solution when he held out. Williams is currently no more than a potential guy. If he holds, it means both him and his agent don't think he has the talent to earn a more lucrative contract AFTER he performs in a whole season...

Cartunist23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I've heard it he's in exactly the same position as Grant last year in that the Packers hold his exclusive rights. No other team is allowed to sign him, therefor Thompson is free to pay him whatever he wants. He hasnt signed the minimum tender Thompson is offering him, so he isn't violating any contract. If I were in his position I would hold out too. The only leverage he has is to withhold his services. Otherwise he'll be make something in the area of 460,000 this year and he'll be a restricted free agent next year, and will probably recieve another one year minimum tender. Can't blame the guy for wanting some breathing room in case he gets hurt at some point over the next two seasons.

Cartunist23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, you're probably right. I would have alot more respect for a guy who doesn't have the common sense to see when he's being screwed over.

It's better for everyone involved if he waits to get something more concrete signed. I would hate to see him take a step back production-wise this season because he's playing with the mindset of just trying to avoid injury. A guy like William's who's only just starting to be recognized as a decent player could fall completely off the radar if he gets hurt during a 1 year deal. Then his career is over with nothing to show for it.

I hope Thompson learned his lesson from last year, and gets a deal done before training camp is over. Or Tramon will be dealing with hamstring injuries all year just like Grant was.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Asking for a new contract is one thing, holding out training camp is another. We all saw what happened to Grant. And Tramon hasn't played that good to ask for a new contract, Williams gave up a team-high 10 1/2 plays of 20 yards or more and four touchdown passes... If he wants a new contract, he must play well an entire season, not just 3 or 4 games...

Cartunist23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not asking for a new contract. He has no contract. He is under no obligation to participate in workouts, training camp, or team dinners at red lobster. That's what i'm trying to explain to you guys. There is nothing wrong with not taking a job if you are uncomfortable with the terms of the position being offered to you.

And I agree with you, if he ends up having to miss training camp, theres a good chance he will end up like Grant. It's up to Thompson to make sure it doesnt happen.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cartunist23 said:
He's not asking for a new contract. He has no contract. He is under no obligation to participate in workouts, training camp, or team dinners at red lobster. That's what i'm trying to explain to you guys. There is nothing wrong with not taking a job if you are uncomfortable with the terms of the position being offered to you.

And I agree with you, if he ends up having to miss training camp, theres a good chance he will end up like Grant. It's up to Thompson to make sure it doesnt happen.
****. You are totally right. When I heard the news it didnt ocurred to me that his contract expired, so he's NOT holding out... The press really got me this time.

OP
OP
E

Eclipse612

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right guys. I just thought he was under a normal contract. My mistake in posting in that terms.

TT needs to sign him before spring training, he's got a chance to become a starter in a couple of years and as you said he may ruin his possibilites if he injures.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Williams is important, not only to the team this year, but I think he's an important part of our future. Harris and Woodson aren't exactly young and Williams is going to replace one of them, so locking a young, promising, potential star up long term seems like a good way to spend all that money we have laying around now that we signed almost nobody in Free Agency.

Members online

Latest posts