Will Teddy act now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just think, We scored 31 points against a real good defense. Another wide receiver or two on our roster might have made a bigger difference yesterday? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Bus Cook

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Do you have rodgers, nelson, cobb, jones, matthews or any other stud like that, poster or jersey? If so thank TT otherwise you wouldnt have the privalage to wear it..
Yeah, because prior to TT we never had any stars on our team. In fact the Packers didn't even have a pro shop until TT became GM.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, because prior to TT we never had any stars on our team. In fact the Packers didn't even have a pro shop until TT became GM.
The Packers opened their pro shop in 1989 and it was expanded in 2002. Thompson became GM in 2005.

OP
OP
Bus Cook

Bus Cook

Reaction score
Really?? Players retire, get injured, move on in free agency, etc. You can't be taken seriously! :roflmao:
OK, I'll bite. Who did we loose of any significance, after our 15-1 season? I'd say that irrespective of how much we scored on Cleveland Sunday (your post insinuating that as a result we don't need any help on offense in the form of WRs), we have lost far more significant players this year already, than we did between our playoff loss two years ago and the draft. Yet somehow, you think that we should stand pat now, but there was a greater need (players retire, get injured, move on, free agency) to add to our team after 15-1 than there is now. You, my friend, can't be taken seriously.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
Did we lose a lot of players in 2010 yes we did. Didwe then go sign some big name free agent? Answer is NO.. I forget what ended up happening that year?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Answer to the first question is, up to now, no. Second question, because I'm a Packer fan. I have pictures on my walls, posters in my man cave, jerseys in my closet. All of them pay tribute to the players. I don't have a set of TT cargo shorts, an MM XXXL packers belt, or a Mark Murphy invisiline promotional posters. I'm a fan of the players, not the suits.
So you will condescendingly criticize the 'suits' at any mere glimpse of a perceived sign of weakness, but will never extend an iota of credit for anything positive. Got it.

OP
OP
Bus Cook

Bus Cook

Reaction score
So you will condescendingly criticize the 'suits' at any mere glimpse of a perceived sign of weakness, but will never extend an iota of credit for anything positive. Got it.
Don't know where I said that, but it was a good read. I criticise the "suits" whenever I feel that criticism is due. If they do something right, the same. If some want to heap praise on them and not criticise them, that's fine too, its just not me.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
2005 was Thompson's first year as GM for an over the cap Packers team. In that same year, RonWolf remarked that Brett was surrounded with many players only qualified to to play NFL Europe. The 2010 SB team won as a result of team depth (and a QB getting freakishly hot at the right time) that was needed due to the large number of injuries. There are times he could have pulled the trigger on a trade such as for Lynch but overall he avoids reactive quick-fix solutions for long term strategy. Personally, I would like to see a bit more willingness to throw the dice during a season to address a need but I don't think it is going to happen.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2005 was Thompson's first year as GM for an over the cap Packers team. In that same year, RonWolf remarked that Brett was surrounded with many players only qualified to to play NFL Europe. The 2010 SB team won as a result of team depth (and a QB getting freakishly hot at the right time) that was needed due to the large number of injuries. There are times he could have pulled the trigger on a trade such as for Lynch but overall he avoids reactive quick-fix solutions for long term strategy. Personally, I would like to see a bit more willingness to throw the dice during a season to address a need but I don't think it is going to happen.
Yeah, for every Marshawn Lynch there's a Trent Richardson. For every Randy Moss in Minnesota the first time, SF and NE. There's a Randy Moss in Oakland, MIN second time and TEN. It's a gamble.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Seriously. Its been 50+ years. I wasn't born. So, no, I don't have a Vince Lombardi poster/jersey/shrine.
No reverence or even appreciation for Vince Lombardi from a “Packers” fan? No surprise considering the source but it reinforces the idea he’s more a Favre fan than Packers fan. And while he’ll never admit it, you can bet he appreciated "the suit" who was Ron Wolf, who brought his hero to Green Bay.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
All this time and people believe Ted will do something?

Just do as I do and expect nothing and if he does do something, you will be REAL happy

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Is it just me or was that one of the best games of the season for the Packers? Gritty, determined and oh so tough.
If you can't enjoy watching Boykin come out and have his first start be a memorable win over a very good defense I don't know why you're watching this game.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
So we probably will have Jones back next week, Cobb will be back in time for a playoff run, and Boykin - though I'm not sold on him from one performance - filled in admirably in the first game in which he was able to be prepared to be a starter. The loss of Finley, which I'm assuming will be long term, if not permanent, will hurt this team. But we have the personnel to overcome short term injuries at the WR position.

If we were talking about multiple guys being out for the year, this post might have some credence. Where we stand right now, the whole concept of trading away part of our long term success to fill a hole for a few weeks is one of the most ridiculous, asinine, ludicrous things I've read on this forum.

You strike as the type of "fan" would like to see this team fail just so you can say "I told you so." You're hatred for TT has been apparent from your first post on this forum. I'm a Favre fan too, Bus. I'd venture to say that I'm one of the biggest Favre fans you'll ever meet. I grew up watching the guy. I was pissed when all that drama when down in '08, and I wanted Thompsons' and McCarthy's heads on a platter. But we kept winning - in large because of this Aaron guy who took Favre's job. Turns out Ted and Mike just might know what they're doing. Bottom line: I got over it. And so should you.

This isn't fantasy football, Bus. And I'm sure as hell glad our GM doesn't think like you do. :rolleyes:

12theTruth

Finley being out for a likely extensive period of time will put a squeeze on our offense even WITH returning wideout James Jones. Having both of our weapons out Cobb and now Finley which best pressured the middle of the defense in passing plays is going to hurt in a big way.

Out of our TE's Bostick is the best candidate to fill that void especially that D.J. Williams was released earlier this season. Bostick is very green however and probably needs more time to become a constant threat to be relied upon.

McCarthy has been stepping up to the plate with some of his best play calling as the pile of injuries continue to mount. But its just a matter of time as defenses will adjust and take away our declining number of weapons. I just see our offense being much easier to defend without Cobb and likely Finley going forward here.

Will Bostick being able to step it up? Thompson will likely stand pat now at the WR but I'm thinking he just may make a move for a TE especially if Finley is out for a long period of time.

Last edited by a moderator:

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
Our D is looking top 10 at worst. Our running game is one of the best in the NFL. And there is that one guy... Aaron what's-his-name?

The losses of Cobb and Finley will hurt, no doubt, but we have a favorable schedule going forward. Right now it doesn't appear as if anyone in this division is a real threat outside of the Packers. The Lions have a porous D. The Bears' D is banged up and downright bad when they aren't forcing turnovers, and Cutler's gone for at least a month. And the Vikings might as well throw in the towel at this point.

Looking ahead at our schedule, there aren't any games that are remotely scary. Maybe the Giants any other year, but not this year. The Falcons at home? Not worried. The games at Dallas and at Chicago - assuming they get healthy and are making a push for a playoff spot - are the only games that I can see might give us trouble. Of course any NFL team can beat us any given Sunday, but I'd say 12-4 or better is not a stretch at this point.

As for the point of this thread, it would be foolish to deal for anyone at this point - WR or TE - unless it was an absolute bargain. These receivers will be back, with the possible exception of Finley. And though losing Finley hurts, we can win without him.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
And I should add, since this thread is an obvious shot at Ted's incompetence, that this year's team has proven just how good Ted Thompson has been at building depth on our roster. We've lost our #2 and #3 receivers, we have at times been down to one or even zero RBs, and I can't count how many injuries we've had within our LB corps. Yet our passing game is still beyond respectable, our running game is one of the best in the league, and our defense is looking top-tier.

If 2010 didn't speak to Ted's ability to build a deep, talented, competitive roster, 2013 certainly does. Most teams would have fallen flat on their faces with the same injury issues, but we've prospered. Hate on TT all you want, but you can't argue with success.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Caddyshack was about Brian's youth, written by Brian, Brian was in the movie, and Brian assisted in directing the movie, but for whatever reason, Bill Murray gets the fans and praise. Its just how it works.

I've always thought Rodney stole the show in Caddyshack.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"This is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?"

"It looks good on you though."

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, I'll bite. Who did we loose of any significance, after our 15-1 season? I'd say that irrespective of how much we scored on Cleveland Sunday (your post insinuating that as a result we don't need any help on offense in the form of WRs), we have lost far more significant players this year already, than we did between our playoff loss two years ago and the draft. Yet somehow, you think that we should stand pat now, but there was a greater need (players retire, get injured, move on, free agency) to add to our team after 15-1 than there is now. You, my friend, can't be taken seriously.

This is just an answer to your question on who we lost; Scott Wells at center, a guy we still haven't replaced. Obvoiusly our offense is still doing well but I'd say losing a Pro-Bowl center (and one who deserved it) is a big loss. Knowing what we know now about how he'd be injured in 2012, it wasn't that big a deal, but at the time, when you couldn't know he'd be hurt, it was a big loss.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bus, sometimes I think you are serious and then I say no you can't possibly be. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts