Will Blackmon is moving to safety

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greenbaypressgazette.com | Contest | Insiders Blog

Does this signify the end of Atari Bigby? While I know he's still penciled in as the starter the Packers are making a handful of moves toward that position. Blackmon sounds excited about the move but I'm not too confident he'll stay there. We really need him at CB and return duties as far as I'm concerned.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greenbaypressgazette.com | Contest | Insiders Blog

Does this signify the end of Atari Bigby? While I know he's still penciled in as the starter the Packers are making a handful of moves toward that position. Blackmon sounds excited about the move but I'm not too confident he'll stay there. We really need him at CB and return duties as far as I'm concerned.

Definitely a message to Bigby. The unsigned restricted guys may wind up without a job.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope the Packers are working on a new defensive package were we play just one CB and a bunch of S, lol. I just don't understand what they are thinking with the CB position.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Bigby is out, hasn't signed his tender.
But isn't it the same case with Tramon Williams?
I still think we're thinner at CB.

Nice to read that Pat Lee looked okay out there, and he and Underwood are healthy.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Bigby is out, hasn't signed his tender.
But isn't it the same case with Tramon Williams?
I still think we're thinner at CB.

Nice to read that Pat Lee looked okay out there, and he and Underwood are healthy.
At CB we got Charles Woodson, Pat Lee, Underwood, Josh Bell, Trevor Ford, Jarrett Bush. It's still 6 names, excluding Harris and Williams.

At S, we got Collins, Burnett, Peprah, and a converted WR that I don't remember the name. It's thinner IMHO...

And not only the depth issue, maybe they think he's a better S than Cb. He has very good field vision returning kicks, maybe it translates somehow to playing S, I don't know...

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why the hell are we moving everyone around? You gotta hope the boys upstairs know what they are doing. But they are still the ones who claimed we fixed the O-line issues 4 games into last season...

I really hope they have a plan at corner. It'd be a real blow to us if we lost Tramon.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why the hell are we moving everyone around? You gotta hope the boys upstairs know what they are doing. But they are still the ones who claimed we fixed the O-line issues 4 games into last season...

I really hope they have a plan at corner. It'd be a real blow to us if we lost Tramon.

Good point, but I have more faith in Capers than with Campen or Philben. It has been a huge problem since McCarthy committed to the zone blocking scheme but having no experienced coach to teach it since Jago left. Maybe we're moving away from that experiment and things will settle down, but Campen or Philben can't decide where people should play, or who should play year after year after year.....

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but Campen or Philben can't decide where people should play, or who should play year after year after year.....

I don't even know why Campen is coaching. It took eight games to get that line back together. I am sure it had something to do with TT swallowing his pride. Anyhow.......just becasue someone is a decent player doesn't mean they are a good coach. Anyone remember Forest Gregg?????????

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter what position Blackmon gets moved to I wpuldn't see him anything more than a returner. If he does well at safety then all the best to him. I highly doubt TT even gives Blackmon a contract extension once his current one expires next offseason.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way Blackmon get's a contract extension is if he stays healthy for more than 75% of the season and he has an excellent year on special teams. Other than that he really has zero value. Maybe the move to Safety will help maximize his "hidden" defensive talent, but I doubt it, and moreover he won't be seeing the field all that often as a safety.

What are his measurements, is he even big enough to play either of the safety positions? Maybe they are really impressed with what Lee has shown them this off-season (as well as Underwood)

X-Factor

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At CB we got Charles Woodson, Pat Lee, Underwood, Josh Bell, Trevor Ford, Jarrett Bush. It's still 6 names, excluding Harris and Williams.

At S, we got Collins, Burnett, Peprah, and a converted WR that I don't remember the name. It's thinner IMHO...

And not only the depth issue, maybe they think he's a better S than Cb. He has very good field vision returning kicks, maybe it translates somehow to playing S, I don't know...

Actually at S we have Collins, Bigby, Burnett, Martin, Blackmon, Peprah & Jones. The way I see it there will only be 4 or possibly 5, depending how they use them, on the 53-man roster. So 2 or 3 of them will be without a spot. Is Jones PS eligible? If so, I think thats where he will end up. Martin & Blackmon both have ST value, so it will be an interesting battle. Martin just signed for 2 years, for not a lot of money, but a portion of it was guaranteed, so I think he has the edge based on that and the fact that he is one of the best ST players currently on the roster. A lot rides on whether Bigby decides to sign or not, but IMO he has a lot at stake.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You must be in an awful good mood naming that 6th person a CB. Must have gotten lucky just before you wrote this...

;)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually at S we have Collins, Bigby, Burnett, Martin, Blackmon, Peprah & Jones. The way I see it there will only be 4 or possibly 5, depending how they use them, on the 53-man roster. So 2 or 3 of them will be without a spot. Is Jones PS eligible? If so, I think thats where he will end up. Martin & Blackmon both have ST value, so it will be an interesting battle. Martin just signed for 2 years, for not a lot of money, but a portion of it was guaranteed, so I think he has the edge based on that and the fact that he is one of the best ST players currently on the roster. A lot rides on whether Bigby decides to sign or not, but IMO he has a lot at stake.
Read my post. I may have missed Martin, but I purposedly didn't mention the rest, and if you read it, you'll know why. I didn't mention Tramon Williams and Al Harris when counting CBs either...

I honestly think Bigby is the key here. I think the Packers will do everything in their powers to re-sign Tramon. But I don't think it's the same case with Bigby.

And moreso, I believe they thrust the backup CBs, Lee and Underwood, much more than they do of Martin, Peprah and Jones...
You must be in an awful good mood naming that 6th person a CB. Must have gotten lucky just before you wrote this...

;)
Not really, but for the sake of depth, he is, in fact, listed as a CB.

but yeah, it's a stretch. Like saying Poppinga is a LOLB...

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they don't plan on resigning Bigby or feel that he isn't the guy anymore, I hope they try to trade him rather than just cut him. They could probably get a 5th rounder at least.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they don't plan on resigning Bigby or feel that he isn't the guy anymore, I hope they try to trade him rather than just cut him. They could probably get a 5th rounder at least.

I was thinking the same thing. The fact that Bigby was an UDFA won't bring much value in a trade so getting a 5th rounder would be great. I wouldn't trade him immediately because that would mean throwing Burnett right into a starting spot. I would rather let Burnett battle Bigby for the job in the first couple of games, when Burnett finally beats Bigby out for the spot then we should shop him around to see what we can get.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
uh oh, blackmon can't tackle and is horrible in pass coverage, my geuss is this is a joke, and he just continues to return punts and get injured.

Latest posts