1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Will Blackmon is moving to safety

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by NYPacker, May 19, 2010.

1. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Greenbaypressgazette.com | Contest | Insiders Blog

Does this signify the end of Atari Bigby? While I know he's still penciled in as the starter the Packers are making a handful of moves toward that position. Blackmon sounds excited about the move but I'm not too confident he'll stay there. We really need him at CB and return duties as far as I'm concerned.

2. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +993
    Definitely a message to Bigby. The unsigned restricted guys may wind up without a job.

3. olwig420

olwig420 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I hope the Packers are working on a new defensive package were we play just one CB and a bunch of S, lol. I just don't understand what they are thinking with the CB position.

4. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    More of a sign that have noone at S if Bigby doesn't come back.

5. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,678
    I know Bigby is out, hasn't signed his tender.
    But isn't it the same case with Tramon Williams?
    I still think we're thinner at CB.

Nice to read that Pat Lee looked okay out there, and he and Underwood are healthy.

6. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    At CB we got Charles Woodson, Pat Lee, Underwood, Josh Bell, Trevor Ford, Jarrett Bush. It's still 6 names, excluding Harris and Williams.

At S, we got Collins, Burnett, Peprah, and a converted WR that I don't remember the name. It's thinner IMHO...

And not only the depth issue, maybe they think he's a better S than Cb. He has very good field vision returning kicks, maybe it translates somehow to playing S, I don't know...

7. YouFrgotPoland

YouFrgotPoland Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +66
    Why the hell are we moving everyone around? You gotta hope the boys upstairs know what they are doing. But they are still the ones who claimed we fixed the O-line issues 4 games into last season...

I really hope they have a plan at corner. It'd be a real blow to us if we lost Tramon.

8. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +471
    Blackmon won't get any playing time there either. Because Burnett is going to take it all. :sword:

9. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +993
    Good point, but I have more faith in Capers than with Campen or Philben. It has been a huge problem since McCarthy committed to the zone blocking scheme but having no experienced coach to teach it since Jago left. Maybe we're moving away from that experiment and things will settle down, but Campen or Philben can't decide where people should play, or who should play year after year after year.....

10. turbo69

turbo69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +41
    I don't even know why Campen is coaching. It took eight games to get that line back together. I am sure it had something to do with TT swallowing his pride. Anyhow.......just becasue someone is a decent player doesn't mean they are a good coach. Anyone remember Forest Gregg?????????

11. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    No matter what position Blackmon gets moved to I wpuldn't see him anything more than a returner. If he does well at safety then all the best to him. I highly doubt TT even gives Blackmon a contract extension once his current one expires next offseason.

12. claybillings

claybillings Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    The only way Blackmon get's a contract extension is if he stays healthy for more than 75% of the season and he has an excellent year on special teams. Other than that he really has zero value. Maybe the move to Safety will help maximize his "hidden" defensive talent, but I doubt it, and moreover he won't be seeing the field all that often as a safety.

What are his measurements, is he even big enough to play either of the safety positions? Maybe they are really impressed with what Lee has shown them this off-season (as well as Underwood)

13. X-Factor

X-Factor Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually at S we have Collins, Bigby, Burnett, Martin, Blackmon, Peprah & Jones. The way I see it there will only be 4 or possibly 5, depending how they use them, on the 53-man roster. So 2 or 3 of them will be without a spot. Is Jones PS eligible? If so, I think thats where he will end up. Martin & Blackmon both have ST value, so it will be an interesting battle. Martin just signed for 2 years, for not a lot of money, but a portion of it was guaranteed, so I think he has the edge based on that and the fact that he is one of the best ST players currently on the roster. A lot rides on whether Bigby decides to sign or not, but IMO he has a lot at stake.

14. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    You must be in an awful good mood naming that 6th person a CB. Must have gotten lucky just before you wrote this...

;)

15. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Read my post. I may have missed Martin, but I purposedly didn't mention the rest, and if you read it, you'll know why. I didn't mention Tramon Williams and Al Harris when counting CBs either...

I honestly think Bigby is the key here. I think the Packers will do everything in their powers to re-sign Tramon. But I don't think it's the same case with Bigby.

And moreso, I believe they thrust the backup CBs, Lee and Underwood, much more than they do of Martin, Peprah and Jones...
    Not really, but for the sake of depth, he is, in fact, listed as a CB.

but yeah, it's a stretch. Like saying Poppinga is a LOLB...

16. DergaSmash

DergaSmash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    If they don't plan on resigning Bigby or feel that he isn't the guy anymore, I hope they try to trade him rather than just cut him. They could probably get a 5th rounder at least.

17. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I was thinking the same thing. The fact that Bigby was an UDFA won't bring much value in a trade so getting a 5th rounder would be great. I wouldn't trade him immediately because that would mean throwing Burnett right into a starting spot. I would rather let Burnett battle Bigby for the job in the first couple of games, when Burnett finally beats Bigby out for the spot then we should shop him around to see what we can get.

18. TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe TheGiftedApe

Ratings:
    +77
    uh oh, blackmon can't tackle and is horrible in pass coverage, my geuss is this is a joke, and he just continues to return punts and get injured.