Wide Out

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't really have room for an addition to the wr room. Who do you cut of the 6 Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Janis, or abbedarius.? All of the bottom 4 have nice upside potential. Only way I'd be in favor of a wr is if the value is simply too good to pass up. Also James jones could be serviceable again as injury insurance as I doubt anyone will sign him.

Right now I'd be fine with cutting Adams, Janis or Abbredaris if for some reason another WR became available that made one of our guys expendable. In fact I'd be willing to bet that Ted drafts a WR high enough that the PS would be an unlikely option so one of those 3 probably has to go. I'll go on record as saying Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Janis, and Abbredaris will not be our WR lineup for this season and it wont be because of injury.

I also doubt James Jones will be waiting for a phone call at any point once the season starts. I don' think he is that far off most of the FA wr's available and some of them will make millions and millions of dollars. In fact for 2016, assuming a healthy and effective Nelson and Cobb I may prefer to have Jones on the roster over Adams, Janis or Abbredaris. That would mean losing those guys for the future however and I 'm not sure that would be worth giving up.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The truth is...if we get a stud receiver we will choose one of them if it comes to that. Because except for Jordy we don't have another stud receiver. Janis looked like one but........ And hard to trust Adams, and the beef about Montgomery not being able to catch the long one looked true.

Talk about seeing what you want to see or at least what others are telling you to see. I'll give you Adams but Janis looked like a stud WR? Montgomery can't catch the long one? What did you see to make you draw those conclusions? SO many people are obsessed over what Janis did in one game. I get it, he had a big game, a huge game in fact but so have so many other WRs who turned out to be nothing special. I hope I am wrong and Janis turns out to be one of the best WRs to ever wear a Packers uniform but right now he's more hype and hope than hero to me.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talk about seeing what you want to see or at least what others are telling you to see. I'll give you Adams but Janis looked like a stud WR? Montgomery can't catch the long one? What did you see to make you draw those conclusions? SO many people are obsessed over what Janis did in one game. I get it, he had a big game, a huge game in fact but so have so many other WRs who turned out to be nothing special. I hope I am wrong and Janis turns out to be one of the best WRs to ever wear a Packers uniform but right now he's more hype and hope than hero to me.
and not to mention, Montgomery appeared to be a guy that can make something happen anytime he touches the ball, I don't care if it is a 5 yard pass or 50. If he could have made it back, I think he would have relieved enough pressure that everything would have started working better sooner. But as with so many things from last year, it's hard to say with certainty, but I am excited to see what he can do in year 2

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

Right now I'd be fine with cutting Adams, Janis or Abbredaris if for some reason another WR became available that made one of our guys expendable. In fact I'd be willing to bet that Ted drafts a WR high enough that the PS would be an unlikely option so one of those 3 probably has to go. I'll go on record as saying Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Janis, and Abbredaris will not be our WR lineup for this season and it wont be because of injury.

I wouldn't mind adding an upgrade over Abbrederis and Janis although I'm not sure the Packers need better receivers fifth and sixth on the depth chart.

I get that Adams struggled last season and fans expect him to play better. But it's puzzling to me that some are ready to get rid of him this offseason.

Let's put his number during his first two years into some perspective. Randall Cobb and Greg Jennings are the only receivers since the start of the Packers resurgence to have more receptions with the two mentioned above as well as Javon Walker and James Jones having more receiving yards than Adams during their first two years in the league.

It's true he has lacked TD receptions but thinking about getting rid of him is way premature.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was trying to say the Janis looked xlnt in one game. He caught the ball with his hands and does have speed so the DB cannot play him as tight. I would therefore keep hold of him until I know. Montgomery looked good as a possession receiver but when he went long I saw him on at least two occasions just miff either the ball or his ability to see it and get under it. I like Abredaris but can't depend on him to be there. So I would draft a stud receiver if I could and let one of the others go. I would not resign Jones. We have potential at w/o now but that is what it is...potential.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting nelson and montgomery back will IMO, make the Adams debate that of a #4WR.... He is a great #4 WR. Maybe best in the league.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO Janis makes the team on his STs play alone, so he'll get his chance to show progress at WR.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind adding an upgrade over Abbrederis and Janis although I'm not sure the Packers need better receivers fifth and sixth on the depth chart.

I get that Adams struggled last season and fans expect him to play better. But it's puzzling to me that some are ready to get rid of him this offseason.

Let's put his number during his first two years into some perspective. Randall Cobb and Greg Jennings are the only receivers since the start of the Packers resurgence to have more receptions with the two mentioned above as well as Javon Walker and James Jones having more receiving yards than Adams during their first two years in the league.

It's true he has lacked TD receptions but thinking about getting rid of him is way premature.

I agree. An upgrade is probably not needed at #5 or 6 but and upgrade is always nice. I'm also not saying I'm giving up on Adams. In fact I'd like him better than Abbredaris and Janis just that if we do draft a WR in anything but the 6th or 7th rounds my guess is one of those 3 (Adams, Janis, Abbredaris) is out the door. My money would be on Abbredaris.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd love to see us sign Marvin Jones and plug him in opposite Jordy. I think he'd come relatively cheap.

Marvin Jones is most likely the best WR available in free agency this offseason. In addition to a weak draft class at the position I don't expect him to sign for a cheap contract.

So I would draft a stud receiver if I could and let one of the others go.

I'm quite sure every Packers fan would be excited about drafting a stud receiver but first of all that's easier said than done (especially with this year's draft class) and the team currently has more pressing needs.

In fact I'd like him better than Abbredaris and Janis just that if we do draft a WR in anything but the 6th or 7th rounds my guess is one of those 3 (Adams, Janis, Abbredaris) is out the door.

As I've said before with the team having other needs I don't see any reason to spend a mid-round pick on a receiver to maybe marginally upgrade the talent level at the position.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and not to mention, Montgomery appeared to be a guy that can make something happen anytime he touches the ball, I don't care if it is a 5 yard pass or 50. If he could have made it back, I think he would have relieved enough pressure that everything would have started working better sooner. But as with so many things from last year, it's hard to say with certainty, but I am excited to see what he can do in year 2
Monty is going to be a really good player. He can do so many things and has a legit chance to house it every time he touches the rock. If he were a stock I'd be buying.

Janis is just so polarizing. He has the skill that of a create a player on Madden. His route running leaves a lot to be desired but with hours of hard work he can remedy that. The Cardinal game is either going to be the best or the worst thing to ever happen to him. It will either springboard him to the next level or serve as the "what if" memory we all remember him by forever. He seems like a good kid and a hard worker so I'm not getting against him. I would also caution anyone from putting all their chips on him just yet. With all that being said there's no way I would let him walk at this time. No way. His size, speed combination is rare and you have to give him every chance to succeed before cutting bait.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Cardinal game is either going to be the best or the worst thing to ever happen to him. It will either springboard him to the next level or serve as the "what if" memory we all remember him by forever.

Facts. I'm hoping for the former, but I honestly think that Janis will never be a good WR.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IMO Janis makes the team on his STs play alone, so he'll get his chance to show progress at WR.

Can Janis punt? If he could, we could dump Masthay and carry Janis as a ST gunner/Punter/#7 hail mary WR :coffee:

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Facts. I'm hoping for the former, but I honestly think that Janis will never be a good WR.
Too soon to say never IMO. The clock is ticking for sure though. If we're half way through camp and start hearing the same stuff (needs to improve routes, having problem with over the shoulder catches etc.) then I'm going to be pretty disappointed. Huge off-season/season upcoming for both he and DA.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too soon to say never IMO. The clock is ticking for sure though. If we're half way through camp and start hearing the same stuff (needs to improve routes, having problem with over the shoulder catches etc.) then I'm going to be pretty disappointed. Huge off-season/season upcoming for both he and DA.
His confidence was reportedly an issue, and we know that having the feeling of inferiority can affect the way you prepare and play. Now everyone knows he's good enough, so I'm hoping he's aiming for the starting job with his performance during the off-season.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard for me to discuss Janis without getting ticked off at our FO and HC. I'm not saying he would have saved our season, but I'm blown away that a team that relies so much on the contributions of young players could not find reps for Janis with the entire offense struggling. From where my confidence was this time last year in our staff, it's pretty shaken right now.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His confidence was reportedly an issue, and we know that having the feeling of inferiority can affect the way you prepare and play. Now everyone knows he's good enough, so I'm hoping he's aiming for the starting job with his performance during the off-season.
That's the only way if he's going to take that next step. The kid is built like you want em these days. He can run with the best of em. His hands aren't Rice like in any way but he can obviously catch well enough to have made it this far. Refining his technique and believing he not only belongs but can dominate will determine just how good he can truly be. He possesses game changing skills and it sure would be nice if he can fulfill his promise and become a key contributor on a devastatingly good offense...fingers crossed!! G P G!

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard for me to discuss Janis without getting ticked off at our FO and HC. I'm not saying he would have saved our season, but I'm blown away that a team that relies so much on the contributions of young players could not find reps for Janis with the entire offense struggling. From where my confidence was this time last year in our staff, it's pretty shaken right now.
I can understand that. I can't remember the last season I'd watch games just knowing we weren't going to move the ball. It was crazy. Best QB in the league and we we're struggling to score 20! One can only scratch their head trying to figure out why this obvious deep threat was buried on the depth chart. Overall I like Coach Mike and am giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one. That may sound like double speak but it's the truth. Like I've said hopefully JJ comes to camp with his hair on fire and we can laugh about this after next year's title. Hopefully.

G P G!

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amendola may become available. Small but so very quick with good hands. I would not think he would be too expensive. Earlier in his career I thougt he would always be hurt but he seems to be playing a lot more lately.

D

Deleted member 6794

Amendola may become available. Small but so very quick with good hands. I would not think he would be too expensive. Earlier in his career I thougt he would always be hurt but he seems to be playing a lot more lately.

With Cobb, Montgomery and Abbrederis on the roster the Packers don´t need to add another slot receiver. If the team brings in another WR I hope that guy is best suited to play on the outside.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Without bringing anyone in, the Packers have:

Jordy Nelson
Randall Cobb
Davante Adams
Ty Montgomery
Jeff Janis
Jared Abbredaris
James Jones

That's seven, plus you know there will be a few rookies and second-year practice squad guys added to the mix in August. At the most GB will keep six, maybe five. I don't think there is any need for Amendola to come here.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Jordy Nelson
Randall Cobb
Davante Adams
Ty Montgomery
Jeff Janis
Jared Abbredaris
James Jones

That's seven, plus you know there will be a few rookies and second-year practice squad guys added to the mix in August. At the most GB will keep six, maybe five. I don't think there is any need for Amendola to come here.

Sadly (IMO) James Jones is currently not a Packer :(

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually agree with both of you but Brady sure used the little guys well and they moved the chains and scored points.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jordy Nelson
Randall Cobb
Davante Adams
Ty Montgomery
Jeff Janis
Jared Abbredaris
James Jones

James Jones is currently a free agent. I agree that there´s no need for Amendola though.

Staff online

Latest posts