Wide Out

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Like you said, Jones is the only WR on the Packers active roster in 2015 who doesn't have a big question mark over him in 2016.
As captainWIMM wrote, Jones also disappeared at times. IMO Jones has the same question mark over his head that Cobb does: Both need Nelson to attract most of the defense's attention to excel. If Nelson comes back healthy and stays healthy, Cobb and Jones (if he's on the team) will immediately become much better. When the opponent's best CB and the attention of a safety no longer had to be concerned about Nelson, the domino effect caused more attention - or the attention of better players - to be paid to every other receiver on the field.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Measuring and capturing that potential will be the key. Jones is pretty much a known quantity. Jones may not appear on the Packer Roster in 2016, but if I was a betting man, I would guess that 1 of either Adams, Abby or Janis won't be on it much past 2016.

I would agree with that. I think its a bit much to expect all three to become solid contributors. It wouldn't surprise me to see one of them beat out by someone else this year.

It's true that we know what Jones has to offer and while he had some nice games last season there were times he completely disappeared as well.

As long as all of our receivers are healthy I would prefer the team to go with the young guys presenting more upside.

I would be OK with that as well but I would add that youth and health aren't the only issues. Jones is a solid security blanket and we may go the youth/potential route but I'd hate to see Jones outplay anyone only to be cut just because the other guy is younger and had potential.

As captainWIMM wrote, Jones also disappeared at times. IMO Jones has the same question mark over his head that Cobb does: Both need Nelson to attract most of the defense's attention to excel. If Nelson comes back healthy and stays healthy, Cobb and Jones (if he's on the team) will immediately become much better. When the opponent's best CB and the attention of a safety no longer had to be concerned about Nelson, the domino effect caused more attention - or the attention of better players - to be paid to every other receiver on the field.

I think Cobb has the smallest question mark of all the Packers WRs so I can see your comment about Jones/Cobb being about the same. Having Nelson back healthy and on a par with his old self will make everyone's stats appear better. Maybe not pure numbers since he will take targets away from others but his presence I think will make the others more effective. If for no other reason than you said, the opponent's best defender will likely be on Jordy and not someone else.

Reaction score
This is my feeling as well. 2015 raised a lot of question marks with this unit and a lot of people want to say it was mostly because of the absence of Jordy, which also contributed to an off year by Rodgers.

We have to assume Jordy comes back 100%, but will he? He will be 20 months older and coming of an ACL injury since he last played in an NFL game.

Will Jordy's return help Cobb to bounce back from a less then stellar year?

Who is Adams? The guy we saw in 2014 or 2015?

Will Monty continue what looked like a promising rookie season before his injury?

Will Jones be back?

Will Abby stay healthy and if he does, can he hang on to the ball consistently?

Does Jeff Janis add more to the Packers then just his special teams play?
I agree Poker. There ARE several ? Marks. Also similarly with the TE group That's not good! IF we can't get a high production TE to compliment RR, then we may need to consider a premier outside deep threat opposite Jordy. I'm seriously concerned that the lack of TE selection is going to drive the pricing above market value and that's not our MO to overspend. I think having both Jordy AND Monty back is going to improve our target selection markedly tho. We can't ignore valuable lesson how 1 WR injury can cripple a lopsided WR core.
I still don't see another deep threat if Jordy goes down again other than Janis and not to disparage Jeff but it's obvious the coaches feel he is not capable of taking it to the next level at WR for internal reasons unknown to me. After watching him haul in some very impressive catches he deserves more looks IMO.
Frankly, at 6'3" 222 Lbs-he could easily put on 10-15 pounds and be converted to a speedier TE and be used to compliment RR. He almost plays more physical anyway IMO and he would have the speed and height to be a YAC guy and possess and underneath distraction after he rips a few big crossing routes off for big gains. It also would allow him to remain on ST and give him a more limited play set opposite RR or for specialty plays.
It all comes down to either investing a 1st or 2nd day pick at TE or WR. It's obvious TT is still reluctant to go FA and this year in particular doesn't offer much selection anyways so I wouldn't blame him.
I'd grab a OL or LB in FA in a heartbeat if one presents itself.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I still don't see another deep threat if Jordy goes down again other than Janis and not to disparage Jeff but it's obvious the coaches feel he is not capable of taking it to the next level at WR for internal reasons unknown to me. After watching him haul in some very impressive catches he deserves more looks IMO. Frankly, at 6'3" 222 Lbs-he could easily put on 10-15 pounds and be converted to a speedier TE and be used to compliment RR.
I don’t think having Janis gain 10-15 pounds would be a good idea as it could jeopardize his effectiveness on STs. They can line him up in the TE spot at his current weight and IMO doing so wouldn’t be significantly different than lining him up there 10-15 pounds heavier, even if he could add that much “good weight”.

Last edited:

Sky King

Reaction score
Jones gave this team productivity it would not otherwise have had with Jordy being out for the season. But he's likely not the player who was expected to step-up at WR. The much ballyhooed "MVP" of OTAs was to be the cream that rose to the top. Instead, he sunk like a rock. He failed despite being given loads of opportunity to prove himself worthy, pretty much two seasons worth. Two or three good games over two seasons is not much to shout about. Jones had far more productivity than that last season alone. If Adams had actually lived-up to the coach's and QB's lofty hype his talent should have drawn some attention away from the other receivers AND he should have been modestly productive despite the extra attention that would have come his way. Capable #1 receivers should at least be able to deliver that, and then some.

Jones was the best receiver the Packers put on the field last season and he had never been asked to be the Packers #1 in seasons past. He's not the one who disappeared as much as a certain somebody else who had disappeared all season long, whether healthy or not. Adams was not the best WR on the team and he may actually have been the worst, all things considered, i.e., productivity versus opportunity. Adams and Abbrederis had very few opportunities to show what they were capable of doing. Montgomery the same, regardless that the reason for his limited opportunities was injury rather than bench-warming. At worst, all three grade-out at "incomplete" for last season.

Should Jones be back? IMO that should be a "yes." Theoretically, he won't need to be the #1 in 2016, although he's already proved that he can be highly productive if so required, regardless of his age. The real question mark is whether Adams is deserving enough to earn another roster spot, let alone to be anointed as a starter once again. Draft status, youth, and being the MVP of OTA's does not seem to have counted for very much based upon last season's conclusive results.

Adams is likely to be highly scrutinized and he's reaped being on a very short leash because that's what his performances of last season deservedly have sown for him. But that's also going to put a lot of added pressure on him to perform much better this time around. Based upon how he performed in 2015 he may not be capable of holding-up very well under pressure, making him the WR who deserves to be the most at risk. It does not help his cause one little bit that he's not a contributor on STs like the other younger players that he'll most likely be competing against.

When the best rationale to retain a player is that he was a high draft pick (while game after game he continues to rack-up failures to the contrary of what he needs to produce for the team), if I were his GM I would be losing confidence in him turning into anything special. And I also doubt the team is willing to waste much more time waiting for Adams' light to go on. Adams has his work cut-out for him.

I would prefer Jones of the two, age notwithstanding.

D

Deleted member 6794

Career Stats:

Jeff Janis: 4 receptions
Jared Abbrederis: 9 receptions
Ty Montgomery: 15 receptions

I'm just having a hard time hanging my hat on this, since it has to be hung solely on "potential". As long as Jordy, Cobb and Adams (???) stay healthy, we should be ok while the other 3 develop?

As long as our top three receivers stay healthy and perform up to their potential we will be fine with Montgomery, Abbrederis and Janis being #4-#6 on the depth chart.

Jones is a solid security blanket and we may go the youth/potential route but I'd hate to see Jones outplay anyone only to be cut just because the other guy is younger and had potential.

If Jones is significantly better than any of the three guys on the bottom of the depth chart the Packers should keep him. Other than that I'd rather hold on to the youngster with more upside.

Jones gave this team productivity it would not otherwise have had with Jordy being out for the season. But he's likely not the player who was expected to step-up at WR. The much ballyhooed "MVP" of OTAs was to be the cream that rose to the top. Instead, he sunk like a rock. He failed despite being given loads of opportunity to prove himself worthy, pretty much two seasons worth. Two or three good games over two seasons is not much to shout about. Jones had far more productivity than that last season alone. If Adams had actually lived-up to the coach's and QB's lofty hype his talent should have drawn some attention away from the other receivers AND he should have been modestly productive despite the extra attention that would have come his way. Capable #1 receivers should at least be able to deliver that, and then some.

Jones was the best receiver the Packers put on the field last season and he had never been asked to be the Packers #1 in seasons past. He's not the one who disappeared as much as a certain somebody else who had disappeared all season long, whether healthy or not. Adams was not the best WR on the team and he may actually have been the worst, all things considered, i.e., productivity versus opportunity. Adams and Abbrederis had very few opportunities to show what they were capable of doing. Montgomery the same, regardless that the reason for his limited opportunities was injury rather than bench-warming. At worst, all three grade-out at "incomplete" for last season.

Should Jones be back? IMO that should be a "yes." Theoretically, he won't need to be the #1 in 2016, although he's already proved that he can be highly productive if so required, regardless of his age. The real question mark is whether Adams is deserving enough to earn another roster spot, let alone to be anointed as a starter once again. Draft status, youth, and being the MVP of OTA's does not seem to have counted for very much based upon last season's conclusive results.

Adams is likely to be highly scrutinized and he's reaped being on a very short leash because that's what his performances of last season deservedly have sown for him. But that's also going to put a lot of added pressure on him to perform much better this time around. Based upon how he performed in 2015 he may not be capable of holding-up very well under pressure, making him the WR who deserves to be the most at risk. It does not help his cause one little bit that he's not a contributor on STs like the other younger players that he'll most likely be competing against.

When the best rationale to retain a player is that he was a high draft pick (while game after game he continues to rack-up failures to the contrary of what he needs to produce for the team), if I were his GM I would be losing confidence in him turning into anything special. And I also doubt the team is willing to waste much more time waiting for Adams' light to go on. Adams has his work cut-out for him.

I would prefer Jones of the two, age notwithstanding.

There's no doubt Adams struggled last season but don't forget that he had as many receptions as Jones playing in only 13 games.

Adams most likely will never turn into a deep threat but he could become a nice possession receiver apable of producing yards after catch, something that injuries made tough for him in 2015.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm seriously done beating my Jones drum. My final thoughts: I get the whole youth over aging thing, but its hard to ignore that the "old" guy (Jones) not only out performed Adams, Abby and Janis, but he probably has a few good years of productivity left in him. Remember, Jones is 14 months older then Jordy. Everyone keeps saying that the Packer WR's will be better with Jordy back and I agree, but that conversation should include Jones IMO. Personally, on opening day I would love to see Jordy and Jones lined up wide and Cobb in the slot.

I think whatever Management does with Jones, FA's and the draft, will give us a good indication of where they think the current group is and will be come September.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get that you like Jones PackerBrat but I cannot discard the many games that he did not show up. Probably because he had a decent DB or corner on him. There are only so many times you can run the same route and the defense does not catch on. And he is very one dimensional. Would not be unhappy to see a 1st round stud on our team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I keep hearing/reading "Jones didn't show up in too many games", but who did on the offense in those games? Cobb? Adams? Rodgers (at times)? I'm not saying the guy had a pro bowl year, but at times, he didn't have much of a supporting cast around him either. He also most likely had the opposing teams #1 CB on him most of the time as well.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would the Packers worry about keeping Jones in case someone gets hurt? Didn't we learn last year that no other team wants him? If someone gets hurt, then the Packers can just sign him off the street or trade a seventh round future pick to whatever team is keeping him on the bottom of their roster.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't really have room for an addition to the wr room. Who do you cut of the 6 Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Janis, or abbedarius.? All of the bottom 4 have nice upside potential. Only way I'd be in favor of a wr is if the value is simply too good to pass up. Also James jones could be serviceable again as injury insurance as I doubt anyone will sign him.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The truth is...if we get a stud receiver we will choose one of them if it comes to that. Because except for Jordy we don't have another stud receiver. Janis looked like one but........ And hard to trust Adams, and the beef about Montgomery not being able to catch the long one looked true.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get that you like Jones PackerBrat but I cannot discard the many games that he did not show up. Probably because he had a decent DB or corner on him. There are only so many times you can run the same route and the defense does not catch on. And he is very one dimensional. Would not be unhappy to see a 1st round stud on our team.

I'm with ya but we have bigger needs in the 1st than a wr, unless some future HOF falls to us.

NYNeal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our WR option is pretty solid at this point. With Jordy back, Cobb will be able to create some space and get open, hopefully Davante Adams is working in the off season, Ty Montgomery could have been a stud if it wasn't for injury and let's not forget about the two guys that kept us alive in playoffs. Jordy out, offset our entire offensive strategy. If someone like Davante Adams got hurt in the preseason, the Packers would not have felt it. What would happen if Atlanta lost Julio Jones? Losing your #1 WR is a game changer. The Patriots felt it when they lost Edelman, the Cowboys felt it when they lost Dez. It is just part of football. We have two WR on pretty monster contracts right now, putting more money into the position would not be our best move.

How do you know what Montgomery would have been? The jury isn't even in the courtroom yet on him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Something that has me a bit more optimistic about our current WR group, is the news that has been trickling out of GB about the WR's and AR all playing through injuries during the season. Sounds like both Cobb and Adams injuries were more limiting then we were led to believe. The same goes for AR and his knee. So with Jordy, Cobb, Adams and Monty all healthy to start the 2016, we may see a whole different product out on that field.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, I mean seriously when Boykin had his little blip of a seemingly awesome season in 2013...I think one could argue this group has more talent then that one did...especially when healthy. 2013 was: Jones, Cobb, Nelson, Boykin and Harper.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just need to vent. :mad:

I wish people would stop using the line "James Jones is too old" as their sole argument for not resigning the guy. Because if this is your rationale, I expect that Jordy is approaching his final year in football and all of the other successful WR's older then Jones in the history of the NFL were just flukes? I see reasons for and against keeping Jones, but age isn't one of them. Now if you say "we have a younger player with a lot more upside then Jones", then I am listening.

Done venting, thank you. :D

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While their ages are similar, I think Jordy has always moved much better than Jones. From his previous character displayed, and the word coming out of Packer coaches, I don't see any reason to think Jordy won't be Jordy again. If James moved like Jordy to begin with, I wouldn't have a problem at all, in fact we probably never would have let him go :)

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to see us sign Marvin Jones and plug him in opposite Jordy. I think he'd come relatively cheap.

Staff online

Latest posts