Wide Out

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will probably get skewered for saying this but if there is not a good enough inside linebacker or offensive lineman available in the first round; and there was a stud wide out...I would not mind picking him up. Janis impressed and Abredaris I like. And still I would not complain. Then I would not mind using all of the rest of the picks on O linemen, linebackers and a tight end.

D

Deleted member 6794

I will probably get skewered for saying this but if there is not a good enough inside linebacker or offensive lineman available in the first round; and there was a stud wide out...I would not mind picking him up. Janis impressed and Abredaris I like. And still I would not complain. Then I would not mind using all of the rest of the picks on O linemen, linebackers and a tight end.

I don´t think it´s one of the Packers biggest needs but if there´s a receiver clearly the best player available I would be in favor of selecting him at #27. I´d prefer spending a mid-round pick on the position though as well as on an outside linebacker.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanx for the response WIMM. But (there is always a but huh?) I don't think we need another mid round W/O.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
All depends on what we do in the FA market, including signing our own. If we somehow we land a good ILB and TE in the FA market, that frees up what we can do with that first round and subsequent picks. But if nothing substantial is done in Free Agency, you have to think that an ILB or TE is a strong draft need and may trump BPA in the first few rounds.

I think we saw this last year when both Williams and House were not resigned and no FA's were signed. TT went right after the position in both rounds 1 and 2.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanx for the response WIMM. But (there is always a but huh?) I don't think we need another mid round W/O.

I'd gladly take another Jennings or Nelson time pick :D if one drops to us after the 1st round. (Or a Jones, Driver, Finley type pick...) Don't forget Monty still might have a lot to say about our 3rd/4th WR option.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My gut tells me we will be fine at WR next season. If BPA tier is down to only a WR at our pick, then it will be our pick. If I was a betting man, I would put my cash on DL. This draft is deep with the big men and teams may be easy on them knowing they can still get a good one later. Maybe a studly NT makes it to our pick.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I think our WR option is pretty solid at this point. With Jordy back, Cobb will be able to create some space and get open, hopefully Davante Adams is working in the off season, Ty Montgomery could have been a stud if it wasn't for injury and let's not forget about the two guys that kept us alive in playoffs. Jordy out, offset our entire offensive strategy. If someone like Davante Adams got hurt in the preseason, the Packers would not have felt it. What would happen if Atlanta lost Julio Jones? Losing your #1 WR is a game changer. The Patriots felt it when they lost Edelman, the Cowboys felt it when they lost Dez. It is just part of football. We have two WR on pretty monster contracts right now, putting more money into the position would not be our best move.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree Kyra...only way to add to WR corps with smarts would be through the draft or UDFA.

H

HardRightEdge

We still need to see which Packer free agents are unsigned going into the draft. OLB could move up the list of priorities pretty quickly. A RB may become a fairly acute need. Even a PK. All in addition to whatever needs one might perceive at ILB, TE, DL or OL.

There's a lot invested in Nelson, Cobb, Adams and Montgomery in the way of cap and/or draft capital. I'd not be surprised if no WR is drafted at all. While Cobb and Adams disappointed, those guys were banged up off and on. Among the risks in this roster, the risk that neither Cobb nor Adams snaps back should be fairly low on the list.

Further, all of the top 4 guys are signed through 2017 or longer. There isn't even a need to groom somebody for 2018.

Right now, other than DB and WR, this roster is woefully lacking in depth.

Last edited by a moderator:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If I had to guess I'd say OLB or DL at #27, but even Thompson couldn't tell you today since (of course) he doesn't know who'll be available and they haven't finished their evaluations yet.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't look like we will be making any overtures to Calvin Johnson in hopes of talking him out of retirement:

Ted Thompson:
(On Calvin Johnson and his possible retirement) He's still a very good player. There's a part of me that would like to make sure that he gets the note that I think he should retire, but that's his business. From afar, he seems to be one of the more impressive professional athletes that there is in terms of the way he conducts himself and that sort of thing. I wish him well.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/370116241.html

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of the thought process going on with Packer management in the WR department revolves around the future of Adams, Abby, Janis and to some extent Montgomery. Are all 4 legit NFL WR's? If the answer is yes, then really not a whole lot needs to be done (barring injury). But if there is doubt, you would have to think competition will be brought in via the draft or some lower priced FA vets.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of my reasoning for a legit w/o in the first round if no inside linebacker available is : 1. the salary cap is not longer demolished by draft picks. 2. I have seen a number of these new young 1st round receivers on other teams that look really good. Really not a comparison to any of our receivers except Jordy. 3. If we were lucky enough to get one of those guys; our offense would improve drastically in all phases.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm sure a lot of the thought process going on with Packer management in the WR department revolves around the future of Adams, Abby, Janis and to some extent Montgomery. Are all 4 legit NFL WR's? If the answer is yes, then really not a whole lot needs to be done (barring injury). But if there is doubt, you would have to think competition will be brought in via the draft or some lower priced FA vets.
How do you define "legit"?

H

HardRightEdge

Good question and one the coaches will have to answer. Last season, at times, I would question if any of the 3 were.
4 were named, not 3, and you question whether they were "legit" while the definition remains a "good question"?

Are we talking about some combination of moves-hands-routes-speed and 1000 yards? Or are we talking about a #4 serviceable as a #3 with maybe solid #3 potential? #2 potential?

I think they all qualify as a #4 or serviceable #3.

In the "what have you done for me lately" world, many fans have thrown in the towel on Adams. That's probably premature. I'd say he's an open book that's needs another year to assess. The rookie year showed promise with some upward trajectory potential.

Montgomery looks like he could be a solid slot receiver, but given Cobb was not moved outside with all of the problems last season one wonders if it will ever happen, thereby relegating Montgomery to utility duty, 4-wide and injury backup.

Abbrederis is very quick out of his breaks, has good hands, and has decent if not outstanding speed. Even if he's close to topped out, #4 or serviceable #3 seems reasonable.

In the last playoff game Janis finally demonstrated he can catch a ball away from his body. I'd been waiting to see that. It shows progess. By all reports, and evidence on the TV screen, he's behind in the mental aspects of the game. If Favre were still around he could play Billy Schroeder-like playground pitch-and-catch. Whether he'll come up to Rodgers exacting standards is anybody's guess. I'm not willing to put him above a #4, but there's a chance he'll rise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
late last year I thought it might serve us well to consider an alternate deep threat. But Jordy is making a strong comeback and he is projected to be fully ready for camp. Monty was coming on strong and looks to me like he is talented enough to be a #3. Then we can't discount Jeff Janis, he played well above his pay grade and I think the more 1st team looks he gets the more contributions he'll make. Cobb is Cobb and Adams is walking a tight rope so I think we will see his performance take a stride forward or this will be his last year in GB.
We have to focus heavily on our greatest weakness which on Offense is TE and Oline depth. Run/pass blocking is crucial to success both on the ground and in the air regardless of who is running routes. Both Tackle positions should have starting caliber backups. QB Protection MUST be prioritized like we did with ST last year. Add a stellar Tackle and TE and I think everyone looks better

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

What would happen if Atlanta lost Julio Jones? Losing your #1 WR is a game changer. The Patriots felt it when they lost Edelman, the Cowboys felt it when they lost Dez.

The Panthers did quite well after losing Kelvin Benjamin before the season even started.

I have seen a number of these new young 1st round receivers on other teams that look really good. Really not a comparison to any of our receivers except Jordy.

The last two drafts were extremely deep at the position though. It seems like that´s not the case this season.

Abbrederis is very quick out of his breaks, has good hands, and has decent if not outstanding speed. Even if he's close to topped out, #4 or serviceable #3 seems reasonable.

Abbrederis had some really bad drops last season though.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
The Panthers did quite well after losing Kelvin Benjamin before the season even started.

I would not put Kevin Benjamin's one decent rookie season on par with Jordy Nelson or Julio Jones. A more comporable comparison would be what would have happened if Carolina was without Greg Olsen, who has led their team in receiving since Steve Smith. Any team that loses their starting QB or best offensive playmaker is in trouble. Why? Because coaches design their playbook around their playmakers.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think our WR position is questionable even with Jordy back next season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I still think our WR position is questionable even with Jordy back next season.

This is my feeling as well. 2015 raised a lot of question marks with this unit and a lot of people want to say it was mostly because of the absence of Jordy, which also contributed to an off year by Rodgers.

We have to assume Jordy comes back 100%, but will he? He will be 20 months older and coming of an ACL injury since he last played in an NFL game.

Will Jordy's return help Cobb to bounce back from a less then stellar year?

Who is Adams? The guy we saw in 2014 or 2015?

Will Monty continue what looked like a promising rookie season before his injury?

Will Jones be back?

Will Abby stay healthy and if he does, can he hang on to the ball consistently?

Does Jeff Janis add more to the Packers then just his special teams play?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is my feeling as well. 2015 raised a lot of question marks with this unit and a lot of people want to say it was mostly because of the absence of Jordy, which also contributed to an off year by Rodgers.

We have to assume Jordy comes back 100%, but will he? He will be 20 months older and coming of an ACL injury since he last played in an NFL game.

Will Jordy's return help Cobb to bounce back from a less then stellar year?

Who is Adams? The guy we saw in 2014 or 2015?

Will Monty continue what looked like a promising rookie season before his injury?

Will Jones be back?

Will Abby stay healthy and if he does, can he hang on to the ball consistently?

Does Jeff Janis add more to the Packers then just his special teams play?

I doubt Jones is back honestly. As much as some here want him back, I just don't see it. I think we'll end up drafting another mid round WR (round 3-5) once again. What I'd like to see happen, is us fill a need or two via FA and go into the draft and just totally BPA the whole thing. This could mean drafting a WR in round 1 or 2.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would not put Kevin Benjamin's one decent rookie season on par with Jordy Nelson or Julio Jones. A more comporable comparison would be what would have happened if Carolina was without Greg Olsen, who has led their team in receiving since Steve Smith. Any team that loses their starting QB or best offensive playmaker is in trouble. Why? Because coaches design their playbook around their playmakers.

Benjamin is for sure not yet on par with Jones or Nelson but he was the Panthers #1 receiver entering training camp. Carolina adjusted way better to losing him than the Packers did with Nelson´s injury.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I doubt Jones is back honestly. As much as some here want him back,

I'm one of those who want him back. With all of the question marks I listed, Jones was really the only Packer WR in 2015 that you couldn't complain much about. He did what he was asked. I view him as pretty cheap veteran insurance. Is he the fastest guy on the field? No. But with Jordy coming back and stretching the field, Jones would be one guy who could greatly benefit from it.

I know one other person, with a bigger vote then mine, that would like to see him back.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...s-wants-packers-re-sign-james-jones/78191414/

Staff online

Latest posts